Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-21-2008   #41
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do You Like the Name Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
alot of people love bud. Cook for example, seems quite fond of it.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #42
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not a Texan obviously. The name means very little to me on an emotional level, but nor would Apollos, Toros, Pussycats or nancyboys.

A name is a name is a name.

I do however love the logo, and am a big fan of the battle red uniform.

All you Texans be proud of the name and your state.
Old 08-21-2008   #43
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I liked Houston Hurricanes, but that was thrown out pretty early.

Houston Torros, which I thought was going to win out, was OK.

I really didn't like anything else, including Texans, which just sounds like an address to me. Houston(,) Texa(n)s.

The uniforms are great, though, IMHO. I have one relative who first saw the logo on the helmets and responded with, "What is that supposed to be, anyway?" and one who can't stand the "too much" red "stockings." I never would've been bothered by those things, otherwise.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
It's ok. I preferred the Apollos myself.

I have always thought the Saints had the best unis, best helmets, best name of NFL teams.
I feel the same way about the Saints....

BUt the Apollos?? the Houston Apollos?? I can just imagine the bad Rocky jokes.

I wanted to name the team the Hurricanes.... but then I thought that really sounds highschoolish..... Same with any other name that's been suggested so far.

Right now, I can't imagine another name that is more appropriate.

Besides, walking through Dallas, how many Cowboys do you see??

Now, walking through Houston, how many Texans do you see??
Old 08-21-2008   #45
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'm not particularly fond of it. The logo and colors rock but the name is pretty unimaginative. I would have preferred to have been able to keep the name Oilers with possibly some updated colors and/or logo but since that wasn't an option I can live with what we have.

Fans a team that goes by "Cowboys" don't really have much of a leg to stand on when it comes to criticizing other teams names.

Oh and I'm a native Houstonian. Being proud of Texas has nothing to do with the name of our football team. You aren't any less "patriotic" about the state if you don't like the name "Texans". You just wanted something else. In my case I wanted the name not to change.
This preety close my feelings. I would add that the nickname "Texans" had been done by Dallas. Still with so many team sports and universities, not sure how "unique" one can get at that level.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #46
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I'm not a Texan obviously. The name means very little to me on an emotional level, but nor would Apollos, Toros, Pussycats or nancyboys.

A name is a name is a name.

I do however love the logo, and am a big fan of the battle red uniform.

All you Texans be proud of the name and your state.
HMmmmmmm,

Houston Nancyboys... That has kind of a nice ring to it.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #47
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't like the Cowboys at all, but I've always thought their name and uniforms were very appropriate. It's not about having cowboys in Dallas; it's about how many used to be in Texas. Maybe I just feel that way because I was a Cowboys fan as a kid, 'till I got sick of hearing how "sucky" Houston's team was and then they finally starting winning some to give me something to root for. I saw some of the Earl Campbell days, but I was too young to really care and my NFL fandom pretty much started right after that. First time I remember seeing a game that I really cared about was when the Cowboys blew it and lost to the 49ers in '81; 49ers beat the Bengals in the Superbowl.

I respected the Earl Campbell days a lot more than I remember them, especially now that I know what the referees pulled and that the 70s Steelers were a bunch of steroid abusers.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-21-2008   #48
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
alot of people love bud. Cook for example, seems quite fond of it.
LMAO!!!

I kinda meant the one that wears an opposum on his head rather than going to the old comb over....
Old 08-21-2008   #49
KEYE SUX
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 KEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVP

[quote=Toro59;978336]I don't understand where the bull come from. QUOTE]

We need some kind of Mascot. We couldn't have 6 flags be or mascot so they chose something that can represent Texas (ranching) but still have an edge...a raging bull
KEYE SUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #50
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=KEYE SUX;978405]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro59 View Post
I don't understand where the bull come from. QUOTE]

We need some kind of Mascot. We couldn't have 6 flags be or mascot so they chose something that can represent Texas (ranching) but still have an edge...a raging bull
We'd have a mascot(no not a rick roll)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU2yt6wOoK0
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #51
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

and there you have it!

the houston nancyboys with their mascot, "mr. six"!!!!!!
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #52
KEYE SUX
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 KEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVP

That's how I will be dancing after we stomp the cowpokes tomorrow
KEYE SUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #53
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 08-21-2008   #54
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 39634 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

I love the name and logo...

Besides, the Houston Harris Countians just don't have the same ring to it.
Old 08-21-2008   #55
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the name "Texans". I think it's a good idea to use names from out of the league's history.

Just not "Triangles".
Old 08-21-2008   #56
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I may be old school and it was the way I was raised before the "locust" invasion of the rest of the country moving into Texas..(not saying they are bad people, but the attitude in some of the places seem to have changed)

I was raised to be very proud of my state and probably more so than saying I am an American.. American is given, but I was raise where you weren't just American, but a Texan..

And when they named the Texans as a team, I was ecstatic because (I know silly) but with the way Bob McNair runs this organization and with the classy individuals on the team and in managment makes me proud of them representing Texas...

I don't know what I would think if the Texans organization was switched with the Bengals... It would be a hard pill to swallow knowing your organization has a bunch of players that are getting arrested and such (and yes I was embarrassed of the Cowboys back then with all there arrests )

ok off of my soap box

Great post Wolf! Outsiders will never understand what it's like to be a native TEXAN! We have more pride in our home state than anyone in the country.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #57
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans is fine. I would also be ok with the Houston Moo Cows!

GooooooooooooooooooooooooMOOOOCOOOWWWWWWSSSSSS!!!! !!!!!!
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #58
Qman
Veteran

Rep Power: 390 Qman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the Texans logo and name. I think most Cowboy Fans are just jealous they didn't think of it first.
Qman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #59
Sideline
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 118 Sideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Today, some Cowboy fans who keep saying the Texans have the worst name in the league. They call it "a high school team name". What do you think about the name?

For me, I luvs it.
I love it, unique and more importantly ours! I know I am slightly disjointed being in England and all but having the name of the team Texans, it does make me feel like I have a strong tie to the state of Texas, inside I feel like a Texan, and when asked who my team is I do feel proud to say ImaTexan!
Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #60
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't remember the names on the final list when they were trying to deciede the name for the team, but I remember I didn't much care for any of the names, including the Texans.

But it's what they are, and I like it now. Couldn't think of them being anything else.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read