Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-21-2008   #1
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Do You Like the Name Texans?

Today, some Cowboy fans who keep saying the Texans have the worst name in the league. They call it "a high school team name". What do you think about the name?

For me, I luvs it.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 225538 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do You Like the Name Texans?

I like it.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Today, some Cowboy fans who keep saying the Texans have the worst name in the league. They call it "a high school team name". What do you think about the name?

For me, I luvs it.
Was there not a former Dallas team named the Texans? Seems like a weak arguement that you should easily win, GuerillaBlack.

These days, whenever I hear the name Cowboys, the first thing that pops in my noodle is the homo cowboy movie (not that there's anything wrong with the TB's of the World). The Brokeback Cowboy or something like that.

The Cownads can flaunt their SB's and scoreboard, but IMO, there's no way they can degrade the Texans name.

Old 08-21-2008   #4
gwallaia

Rep Power: 66021 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Well since some Dallas fans say its no good, we should probably have it changed.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #5
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I like it but am not a fan of the helmet if you want my honest opinion. I mean those guys should learn that there was a Texans before.
Old 08-21-2008   #6
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't mind it but I would rather they had gone with the 'Apollos.' Would have fallen in line with the space themed teams in Houston.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #7
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Well Houston is about to get a 2nd light rail line, making us one of the few cities that have a few, so maybe the Houston Literails...and the logo could be some tracks going across the helmet...

, on second thought, nevermind ..
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-21-2008   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the name... although I'm not a HUGE fan of it.. I like it.

I love the uniforms though.. especially the logo and helmet. They're my favorite in the league.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #9
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I may be old school and it was the way I was raised before the "locust" invasion of the rest of the country moving into Texas..(not saying they are bad people, but the attitude in some of the places seem to have changed)

I was raised to be very proud of my state and probably more so than saying I am an American.. American is given, but I was raise where you weren't just American, but a Texan..

And when they named the Texans as a team, I was ecstatic because (I know silly) but with the way Bob McNair runs this organization and with the classy individuals on the team and in managment makes me proud of them representing Texas...

I don't know what I would think if the Texans organization was switched with the Bengals... It would be a hard pill to swallow knowing your organization has a bunch of players that are getting arrested and such (and yes I was embarrassed of the Cowboys back then with all there arrests )

ok off of my soap box
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone can say they are a Cowboy even if they live in Missouri, Denver, Arizona, Florida, Alabama,Nevada etc....

But only those of us who , under the Grace of God, were born or live in this state can say they are Texans!!!!!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #11
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 17854 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

i like the name and we're keeping it.......so there
Old 08-21-2008   #12
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post

For me, I luvs it.
I would think you would see the Cowboys name being used at the high school level before you would ever see the Texans being used.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #13
KEYE SUX
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 KEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVP

I think those cowgirl fans are just jealous. We in the great state of TEXAS are very proud to live in this state. This is why you see Texas Edition vehicles and so forth. Now as a high school name, I can think of more high schools being Cowboys than Texans.
KEYE SUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #14
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans name can only be used in Texas

Cowboys. well Oklahoma State and Wyoming took the liking to the name also
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I never liked it and don't to this day, but I'm used to it by now. But the name has absolutely no meaning and it's void of any imagination and was obviously chosen for purely commercial reasons.
Shame on you Mr. McNair, are you that insecure about being a Houstonian ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #16
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

It's ok. I preferred the Apollos myself.

I have always thought the Saints had the best unis, best helmets, best name of NFL teams.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #17
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Was there not a former Dallas team named the Texans? Seems like a weak arguement that you should easily win, GuerillaBlack.

These days, whenever I hear the name Cowboys, the first thing that pops in my noodle is the homo cowboy movie (not that there's anything wrong with the TB's of the World). The Brokeback Cowboy or something like that.

The Cownads can flaunt their SB's and scoreboard, but IMO, there's no way they can degrade the Texans name.

The Dallas Texans weren't the only professional team named Texans before this current franchise.. The Houston Texans / Shreveport cleveland Steamers....

Point is, its been used before in both Dallas and Houston.

As far as your man-crushes for Heath Ledger and that other dude, maybe you and Hobie could re-enact some of your favorite scenes. While I on the other hand take pride in knowing that to this day I still haven't seen it... Although we all witnessed the sequel (Bronx Back Mound) play out between Clemens and Pettite...
Old 08-21-2008   #18
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought it was kinda unimaginative when they came out with the name, but I've grown used to it I suppose.
Old 08-21-2008   #19
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i think the name, logo, and colors couldnt be better.

Last edited by Scooter; 08-22-2008 at 02:25 AM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #20
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Let me share a little story,

I was living in Oregon when Houston got a new team. I'm born and raised in Texas and had been living in Oregon for about a year. I absolutely loved it there, one of the most beautiful places on earth. But I couldn't get past the fact that it wasn't my home. When I came home to visit I went to a souvenier shop and bought one of those little 2" x 3" Texas flags and when I got back to Oregon I put it on my car. I was proud to be from Texas. I loved Oregon but I wasn't from there. I was from Texas. I would often meet people who would ask me about the sticker. They'd say things like "isn't that the Texas flag on your car?" or "I've never seen anyone with a flag of their state on their car."

You could travel all over this country and not find a single other state that is as recognized by it's "statehood" than Texas. New York is defined by it's metropolis New York City. California by L.A. and California girls, Floriday by, well, kind of by it's "limp" shape and Disneyworld, beaches etc.

More people recognize the state flag and the actual shape of this state than any other. Hands down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I never liked it and don't to this day, but I'm used to it by now. But the name has absolutely no meaning and it's void of any imagination and was obviously chosen for purely commercial reasons.
Shame on you Mr. McNair, are you that insecure about being a Houstonian ?
To be Texan absolutely means something. It means something more than being from any other state in the nation. I would go so far as to say it is in fact the only state that could be recognized as being defined by it's existance as much as anything. Not by a major city or cities in our case, but by the state it self.

Being a "Texan" meant something to me, especially when I was living in another state. When our new name was selected I couldn't have been happier... the apallos? seriously, Toro's? is this area football?

I challenge you to consider what it would be like for the other teams in the leauge. There is only one team that makes sense:

Pittsburgh Pennsylvanians ?
Indianapolis Indianans?
Jacksonville Floridians?
New York New Yorkers
and the
Houston Texans

maybe it doesn't mean anything to you, but it does to me.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read