Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-21-2008   #81
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cook arrested

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYE SUX View Post
I believe he was just trying to say that he is more like a Chris Taylor than a TRADITIONAL FB
Kinda! But Taylor needs to prove that he can pick up the scheme a bit better before he can fulfill this role.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #82
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYE SUX View Post
I believe he was just trying to say that he is more like a Chris Taylor than a TRADITIONAL FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Kinda! But Taylor needs to prove that he can pick up the scheme a bit better before he can fulfill this role.
Not that they asked Cook to do a whole lot of lead blocking last year either.
So yeah. The idea that Taylor can take over that role is not that far-fetch.
Old 08-21-2008   #83
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

With this happening to Cook now Taylor must step up huge in the cluch and prove himself.
Old 08-21-2008   #84
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #85
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98311 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We utilize Cook more as a hybrid between a tailback, a sometime-blocker, and a receiver out of the backfield. What I want to say!
Cook only had 8 carries last season (and he got 5 of those carries in the Indy game after Green went down, because outside of Dayne we were incredibly thin...he was forced to do spot RB duty) Cook only had 3 carries the year before when he was labeled the starter.

In his two year carear with Houston Cook only has 26 receptions........Vonta Leach had 25 just last season alone.

I don't get where Cook is this hybrid FB in Kubiak's offense, infact even with the Bucs he wasn't a "hybrid" fullback. Just because he isn't the blocker that Leach is, that doesn't mean he's a hybrid FB.

IMO he's just a crappy FB that's light in the britches who's fixing to find himself off this team. I'll take "the man without a neck" over him any sunday

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #86
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Cook only had 8 carries last season (and he got 5 of those carries in the Indy game after Green went down, because outside of Dayne we were incredibly thin...he was forced to do spot RB duty) Cook only had 3 carries the year before when he was labeled the starter.

In his two year carear with Houston Cook only has 26 receptions........Vonta Leach had 25 just last season alone.

I don't get where Cook is this hybrid FB in Kubiak's offense, infact even with the Bucs he wasn't a "hybrid" fullback. Just because he isn't the blocker that Leach is, that doesn't mean he's a hybrid FB.

IMO he's just a crappy FB that's light in the britches who's fixing to find himself off this team. I'll take "the man without a neck" over him any sunday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post

Haha, TB, my bad, I mean a hybrid H-Back type, not Half-Back.

Car_Bombed, Cook only got 6 starts in 06 (3 rushing attempts, 18 catches - 21 touches)
No start in 07 (8 R/A, 8 Recpt - 16 touches)

Leach had 4 starts in 06 (Zero run, 6 Recpts - 6 touches)
12 starts in 07 (2 rushes, 25 recepts - 27 touches)

(The reason for the discrepancy in starts was sometimes we listed 3 WRs off the block, sumthing like that.)

It's a no brainer that Cook lost his starting job following the fumbles.
Leach took on the primary job, and we employ him more to the task.
Let's say, (in term of RB) Leach was the feature RB, and Cook is the change-of-pace back in 07.

And I will venture to say that Leach was in the game about 2-1 as compared to Cook in 07, but that is not really the point.

The point is we utilized Leach as a lead blocker more often than with Cook (even if we pro-rate the number of times each were in the game.)
Cook was employed as an emergency RB, a receiver out of the backfield, a decoy, running a counter/trap/fake type of play moreso than with Leach.

Another thing is, Leach keeps improving beyond his blocking skill.
It's not the point about Leach vs. Cook, I would be a fool to take that on.
If I am willing to consider Taylor as an alternative, it has to mean that I'm in no way satisfied with Cook.

But like Polo said, he was not a bad player.
Old 08-22-2008   #87
Dancerdog
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 Dancerdog was voted MVPDancerdog was voted MVPDancerdog was voted MVP

It's a shame this has happened to Cook. He probably wasn't gonna make the 53 anyway. Someone posted earlier that at least JJ wasn't arrested due to involvement with drugs, so he should be allright with the team from that standpoint. For anyone who hasn't figured this out yet, alcohol IS a drug, albeit legal. They'll cut Cook for the right reason. Lack of productive play.
Dancerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2008   #88
Polo

Is Cook playing in the game tonight ?
Old 08-22-2008   #89
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't think so. He did not even go with the team.
Old 08-22-2008   #90
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The old definition doesn't work in the WCO.

We utilize Leach more in the traditional sense of a lead blocker.

We utilize Cook more as a hybrid between a tailback, a sometime-blocker, and a receiver out of the backfield. What I want to say!
Quote:
Football 101: The West Coast Offense
Quarter and Running Backs
Fullbacks and Running Backs
Two other positions important to the West Coast offense are the fullback and running back positions. The ideal size for the fullback position should be about six foot one inch and weigh about 245 pounds. The running back should be large enough to take punishment and retain stamina. The main goals for the fullback and running back position in the West Coast offense are to be able to block and catch. In this offense these positions also have to able to pick up blitzing linebackers. The most important value for these positions is to be able to catch. These positions in the West Coast offense will probably have more catches than rushing attempts.
Ummmm, that's what fullbacks do in a West Cost Offense.... Sometimes blocker and sometimes receiver.... In other words, there is no hybrid to it, thats what they do... Is there deviation due to situational plays? Sure....

(I'm trying to catch you early this morning, before you hit the sauce )
Old 08-22-2008   #91
gary
Hall of Fame

Cook has a hard time catching.
Old 08-22-2008   #92
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

Jon Abbate...will he be brought back in?
Old 08-22-2008   #93
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post
Jon Abbate...will he be brought back in?
Good question, but I would think the idea would be Leach and the "Taylor Experiment", no??
Old 08-22-2008   #94
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought that Cook was kept around last year primarily for his contributions on special teams. But that might be wrong.
Old 08-22-2008   #95
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Good question, but I would think the idea would be Leach and the "Taylor Experiment", no??
Thats probably the idea, but Taylor worries me a little in terms of injury. I know he only had one so far, but it was a big one. I couldn't really tell what happened to him vs NO, just saw someone fell on his leg. I think one has to go out of C.Brown, A.Green, C.Taylor their injuury prone bodies make me sick to my stomach. I think its one thing to have a backfield of average RBs, which is fine for a season or 2, but the a backfeild full of Backspasms and Bone Bruises who might play this week or next is unsettling. I am really glad we have Leach, he is a good FB, I am impressed at his catching ability as shown last week. Time will tell what our backfield picture looks like soon enough.
Old 08-22-2008   #96
Dancerdog
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 Dancerdog was voted MVPDancerdog was voted MVPDancerdog was voted MVP

Was it some good stuff he got busted with. 2 grams? Betcha it was White Rhino or Northern Lights. Yeah, I have some knowledge of these things. I used to smoke, but gave it up 4 years ago. Just got bored with it. At the ripe old age of 53 I just don't feel the need for it anymore.
Dancerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #97
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Ummmm, that's what fullbacks do in a West Cost Offense.... Sometimes blocker and sometimes receiver.... In other words, there is no hybrid to it, thats what they do... Is there deviation due to situational plays? Sure....

(I'm trying to catch you early this morning, before you hit the sauce )
(I'm sipping coffe here, LOL!)

TB, it sure sounds like you're citing a lot of stats to me

What happens on the field is not written in the book!
Old 08-22-2008   #98
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Legalize drugs for the love of God please. It is ridiculous that marijuana and cocaine are illegal while you have millions popping prescription drugs all over the place. You can do coke and weed and still be a highly functioning member of society. This screams Driving While Black.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #99
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post
I couldn't really tell what happened to him vs NO, just saw someone fell on his leg.
They said he just had a muscle cramp and apparently he has a history of that.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #100
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's a no brainer that Cook lost his starting job following the fumbles.
Cook was injured. Leach ran away with it after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Cook has a hard time catching.
Cook is actually thought of as a receiving FB. That's why they let excellent lead blocking FB Moran Norris go and brought him in.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read