Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-21-2008   #21
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If The Texans Beat The Cowboys

If the Texans beat the Cowboys. Cowboy fans will say it is just preseason. However, if the Cowboys win all the media in Texas will act as if this was a playoff clincher for the Cowboys.

That being said, the greatest thing about Preseason is that it doesn't count.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #22
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 116441 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Note about the Steelers - Can we please cover Santonio Holmes and Heinz Ward? Holmes is the deep threat. (Just in case our DC is reading and needs some pointers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #23
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

If the texans beat the cowboys it'll be a first. I don't beleive that the cowboys have beaten the Texans in Reliant nor the Texans in Dallas's stadium. That'd be a great feeling. Are they in there new cursed stadium yet?
Old 08-21-2008   #24
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
You all know that the Cowboys are still going to play well because it is the Texans so if they do win it would be a huge plus.
It isn't a rivalry. Cowboys fans don't look at us as a team that is their rival since we never play each other in the regular season. Its like the idea of the little kid trying to pick a fight with the bigger kid. The bigger kid turns around and says, oh, who are you again? Same idea.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #25
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's sorta weird that we hate the Cowboys so much, but they don't think much of us. One-sided rivalry?

Like the poster above me said, we're the little kid at the park trying to pick a fight with the big kid, but the big kid only fight with other big kids.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #26
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Stan View Post
If the Texans Beat the Cowboys...

The following week's episode of HBOs Hard Knocks will move into the "save until I delete" category of my TIVO.
My thoughts exactly. You stole my thunder.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #27
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 222419 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
I think it's sorta weird that we hate the Cowboys so much, but they don't think much of us. One-sided rivalry?

Like the poster above me said, we're the little kid at the park trying to pick a fight with the big kid, but the big kid only fight with other big kids.
Personally speaking, I don't really care one way or another for the Cowboys. I am a native Houstonian, and grew up watching them as much as the Oilers. Over the years, however, the Cowboy fans have turned me into a Dallas hater. About the only Cowboys that I have any give-a-damn about are Jerry Jones, TO, and Romo. Jones and TO just annoy me, and Romo makes me laugh - especially that whole fumbled snap debacle in the playoffs, LOL.

I take much more enjoyment from needling Cowboy fans than I actually do from whether the Cowboys win or lose.
Old 08-21-2008   #28
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
I don't think the final score of any single preseason game has any bearing on the final score of any single regular season game.
Well said. Preseason is just that and has no bearing on the season to me. Keep guys healthy is the motto and get reps for the starters.
Old 08-21-2008   #29
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post

Thanks for finally saying what others have been trying to explain for a long time. If you had a brother that had 5 gold medals and you beat him in a race a long time ago, would you constantly talk about how you beat him as a kid, etc?Thought= I love a majority of the people here and root for the Texans, etc, I'm a Cowboy fan at heart. But when I grew up in Ft. Worth we all thought Earl was great and the Oilers were the second favorite team. It is a one way street and it is a constant on this board. If you want to know why Cowboy fans respond, look at what happens in these threads. I mean on 610 this morning Adam C was trying to explain why people hate the Cowboys and some of the people calling in were embarrassing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
If the Texans beat the Cowboys. Cowboy fans will say it is just preseason. However, if the Cowboys win all the media in Texas will act as if this was a playoff clincher for the Cowboys.

That being said, the greatest thing about Preseason is that it doesn't count.
But it is just preseason. All of the early 90s Cowboy SB teams had losing preseasons and one of them went 0-4. The texans won last lear but it didn't affect the Cowboys regular season or the Texans really. It is a tune up and means nothing. You are more likely to find Texans fans talking alot if they win. I don't care as long as the injury report says nothing.
Old 08-21-2008   #30
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Then I think it is safe to say that they have a wonderful shot at beating the Steelers in game one. What do you all think? Please don't say that I think we're going to beat the Steelers for sure that is NOT what I am thinking at all here. But if they win tomorrow against the Cowboys tomorrow night then you have to like our chances of winning game number one of the season.
Being a preseason game the final score doesnt concern me as much as the following list of things ....

Im more concerned with the offense remaining consistant , the starters have looked very good in the passing game even w/o AJ. They lead the NFL in completion % by a margin of 5.7% . A combined 126.7 passer rating , the QB's look fantastic .(who doesnt expect that from a Kubiak coached team?)

Continue to keep penalties and turnovers to a minimum . Two Offensive penalties in two games (in the pre-season no less) is a very encouraging sign.

The O-line's performance Vs. a very good 3-4 defense. This may be the biggest factor in an otherwise meaningless game . The Cowpies have some good rushers off the edge and were third in the NFL in sacks last season behind Ne and NYG . This will be a good test for the O-line . Can D.Brown continue to build upon his success thus far or does the 3-4 give him something to work on ?

While the running game is still suspect. It has produced 128 ypg in the preseason averaging 36 carries and 3.6 ypc. The only number that bothers me is the ypc . I'd like to see it above 4.0 although that might be a lofty expectation this season.
Who emerges as our starting RB. Someone has to step up and win the job . I dont expect a thing out of A.Green , can Taylor , Slaton , Walker or Brown take control of that spot ?

And can the defense find a way to put some heat on the opposing QB . One sack over the two previous pre-season games isnt very encouraging. I'd like to see more out of this unit as the teams secondary is going to look awful without a solid pass rush . Granted the "Aints were #1 in protecting the QB last season only allowing 16 sacks , (the Bronco's were 16th allowing 32).

Finally , can JJ find a way to hold onto the ball on punt returns or must we find another option ? No doubt that he can take it to the house but the kid has to hold onto the ball first and foremost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qman View Post
If the Texans beat the Cowboys, can the Cowboys stop talking about the Superbowl?

Once a team of chokers always a team of chokers.

Nope , this game means nothing once the regular season starts . A loss in the pre-season Vs. an up and coming team like the Texans will not take the Cowpies out of the "Talk of a Superbowl"....They are media darlings . The Cowpies , as much as we may hate them have a legit chance to get there . They will start the season 0-0 like everyone else but to see them in the Superbowl isnt an un-realistic expectation.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #31
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Thanks for finally saying what others have been trying to explain for a long time. If you had a brother that had 5 gold medals and you beat him in a race a long time ago, would you constantly talk about how you beat him as a kid, etc?Thought= I love a majority of the people here and root for the Texans, etc, I'm a Cowboy fan at heart. But when I grew up in Ft. Worth we all thought Earl was great and the Oilers were the second favorite team. It is a one way street and it is a constant on this board. If you want to know why Cowboy fans respond, look at what happens in these threads. I mean on 610 this morning Adam C was trying to explain why people hate the Cowboys and some of the people calling in were embarrassing.

But it is just preseason. All of the early 90s Cowboy SB teams had losing preseasons and one of them went 0-4. The texans won last lear but it didn't affect the Cowboys regular season or the Texans really. It is a tune up and means nothing. You are more likely to find Texans fans talking alot if they win. I don't care as long as the injury report says nothing.

Frog, I invite you as I have invited others who post here to come down and goto a game at 3rd Base. I will let you borrow one of my Jerseys so they do not know your a cowboys fan and you can see how and what we deal with. I know not all cowboy fans are loud obnuctious A-Holes but the ones that are sure do make sure you know about it. Ever since I moved to Austin it has either been I suck cause I wear my ND gear or I suck cause I wear my Texans gear. Just look into the vy thread and see how ut folks act a lot of time. Just read what sh spewed. That is the same time of crap I have heard from cowboys fans. Most of the guys who post on here from Austin will tell you we never started any smack talk it was always after our game and right as the cowboys were about to begin.

So when the Texans win, you damn right I will laugh at any cowgirl fan that once to start in on me.
Old 08-21-2008   #32
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Frog, I invite you as I have invited others who post here to come down and goto a game at 3rd Base. I will let you borrow one of my Jerseys so they do not know your a cowboys fan and you can see how and what we deal with. I know not all cowboy fans are loud obnuctious A-Holes but the ones that are sure do make sure you know about it. Ever since I moved to Austin it has either been I suck cause I wear my ND gear or I suck cause I wear my Texans gear. Just look into the vy thread and see how ut folks act a lot of time. Just read what sh spewed. That is the same time of crap I have heard from cowboys fans. Most of the guys who post on here from Austin will tell you we never started any smack talk it was always after our game and right as the cowboys were about to begin.

So when the Texans win, you damn right I will laugh at any cowgirl fan that once to start in on me.
Hey, if you say so Spec, I believe you. I know many people say they get harassed. I have just never been on the a-hole end of it and haven't seen my friends or family act that way either. Also, alot of my life was in Ft. Worth so there wasn't the hate for Houston. When I moved here people were complete a-holes to me for being a Cowboys fan but I don't hold it against the whole fanbase. I just know that each fanbase has their losers.

I just don't get being excited over preseason, knowing nothing is on the line. People here went nuts and it meant nothing. Its like they thought the Cowboys were going to put in that effort and play that way once the regular season started and the pressure was on.

But sorry you take the heat. I'll sit and have a beer.
Old 08-21-2008   #33
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I will let you borrow one of my Jerseys so they do not know your a cowboys fan and you can see how and what we deal with.
I wear Texans gear a great deal of the off work time including lots of trips to Austin. I haven't ever been harassed. Maybe it's where you hang out?
Old 08-21-2008   #34
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 2327 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...... I know not all cowboy fans are loud obnuctious A-Holes but the ones that are sure do make sure you know about it.........
Yeah, that's the deal. There's some very obnoxious Dallas fans in the Houston area as well that are just very classless "winners". I've never understood this mentality - never understood how someone could derive pleasure (?) from rubbing it in. Just because the team they've elected to follow is successful that gives them the right to act like jerks?

I had a roommate once who was like this. He was just intolerable on the Sundays when the Cowboys won and the Oilers lost. Couldn't stand the SOB on those days.....

IMO, the Houston "hate" is really not for Dallas or the team but for these types of "fans".... I know deep down, I'm pretty much neutral towards Dallas bordering on apathetic - couldn't care less... I very rarely go out of my way to catch a Dallas game on TV unless it is playoffs or prime time....
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #35
KEYE SUX
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 KEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qman View Post
If the Texans beat the Cowboys, can the Cowboys stop talking about the Superbowl?

Once a team of chokers always a team of chokers.

Once a team of criminals (90's) always a team of criminals (Pac Man, Tank...)
KEYE SUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #36
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYE SUX View Post
Once a team of criminals (90's) always a team of criminals (Pac Man, Tank...)
That really makes no sense since this thread is right above one with a Texan getting arrested. Stop living off the early 90s. I mean the Rockets just signed a guy that "allegedly" beat his wife.
Old 08-21-2008   #37
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I wear Texans gear a great deal of the off work time including lots of trips to Austin. I haven't ever been harassed. Maybe it's where you hang out?
Generally speaking going to the store or what not, no issues. Sitting in a bar watching sports .. yeah.
Old 08-21-2008   #38
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 71355 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
It isn't a rivalry. Cowboys fans don't look at us as a team that is their rival since we never play each other in the regular season. Its like the idea of the little kid trying to pick a fight with the bigger kid. The bigger kid turns around and says, oh, who are you again? Same idea.
Yeah, right. Tell that to the goofball Cowboy fans that came to Reliant and were acting like donkeys before the game.

The Cowboys truly wanted to win that preseason game last year--they kept their starters in for a long time.

Do you think Wade Phillips wants to lose to Houston again? Bob McNair and Jerry Jones are fairly close--I don't think Jones wants to taste a loss, even if it is preseason.
Old 08-21-2008   #39
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

i grew up a diehard aggie. bled maroon, hated burnt orange, the whole nine. it wasn't until years later that i realized that the aggies true rival is the longhorns, but the longhorns true rival is the sooners. i literally had no idea. we hate them sooooo much, how can they not hate us back equally.

the fact is, the bully Cowboys do want to win those games but they are also the bigger brother who turns around and says "who are you again? and then thwacks us on the head".

so both are kind of true. they want to beat us but it's more like kicking sand on the scrawny guy than hating him.

indifference is much more insulting. that's why we hate them.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #40
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

If our first team plays well against their first team do you all think it's going to help our team?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read