Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-20-2004   #1
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jason Babin

I was reading over on the Jags and Bears MB where they have posts about DROY and quite a few people have said they think Babin should be the DROY. Although I don't agree, one of the posters posted his stats...

57 tackles
3 sacks
11 assists
1 fumble recovery
4 passes defended

I did not realize that Babin has done this much this season. Pretty impressive IMO for a DE who has converted to OLB in his first year. Not bad at all. Any thoughts or opinions on this?
Old 12-20-2004   #2
profan
Veteran

Babins had a good rookie year, but the tackle stats can be misleading as most of the time these stats are inflated. I say d robinson is much more likely to get rookie of the year. I'm glad their both on our team.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I second that. I am really glad we drafted both of them. I am really glad the Falcons took DeAngelo Hall first though...
Old 12-20-2004   #4
AndreJ
All Pro

Yeah he has had a great season considering the conditions and is a great tackler, but he is obviously overshadowed here in houston by Dunta. He also leads the team in QB pressures and I'm sure the offense prepares for him before they face the Texans.

As far as DROY goes I'm not suer he has done that great. Maybe if he shows up in the next two games with a couple sacks and continues to tackle that way he has been, but its a longshot.
Old 12-20-2004   #5
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

I think DROY will either be Dunta Robinson, Jonathan Vilma, or Sean Taylor.

Big Ben will be ROY though.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #6
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Babin is growing on me as the season is going along. he is an excellent open field tackler. he has put some pressure on the QB but is more effort multiple moves rusher versus a speed rusher. he needs to do a better job of setting up his moves. Once he does this and the Texans find other sources of pressure he will put up good, probably not great sack numbers.

robinson has surpassed expectations and is the guy I would push for defensive ROY.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I consider his game very Ray Childress-like in effort and as a general vibe and think his game will continue to evolve as he learns what he can and can't do in this league. Smart player with some physical tools and has nice instincts. Not the quickest guy, but can give you great effort and desire with the ability to make some big plays against good opponents. He looks like he may be dominant against the run within two years.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-21-2004   #8
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Talking

I just casn't stop staring at hits tats [angel]
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004   #9
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

To be honest, I wasnt very excited about geting Babin from day one. I felt we used to many picks, to move up, instead of staying where we were and getting a 2nd round guy like Randy Starks. But throughout the year my thoughts have changed. Babin was a great pick, and worth all the cost. I would like to meet him because he seems like a down to earth guy.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004   #10
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I like Babin a lot. I still wonder if we gave up too much for him. If he turns out to have a career like Ray Childress had or better, he was worth it.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Babin's reputation preceeded him and colored the impression many of
us had of him even before we saw him play - wild, crazy, QB-sacking,
pass-rushing phenom. I mean this was the guy who, as the Paw-Paw legend goes, devoured chicken bones on his way to breaking sack records at his college alma mata. Turns out the reality is different than the Paw-Paw legend: he's a well-rounded player who can tackle as well (if not better) than
pass-rush. A very versatile defender who plays more of a controlled-game than the non-stop motor type on a rampage.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004   #12
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone else notice that the TV cameras focus in for a tight shot on Babin a lot. He has a very focused look on his face and is DEFINATLY studing what is going on. I suspect in a year or two we will be very glad we have him. Might even get to the double didget sack area.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004   #13
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
Anyone else notice that the TV cameras focus in for a tight shot on Babin a lot. He has a very focused look on his face and is DEFINATLY studing what is going on. I suspect in a year or two we will be very glad we have him. Might even get to the double didget sack area.
+ his arms [grin]
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004   #14
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
10 lbs more of hard muscle on Babin and lets talk probowl. He stays on that weight and he . Freeney is hardly on his advertised weight. 255? Hellll noo.. the guys is 265-275.
But Freeney runs a 4.4 forty, Babin cant do that...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

actaully his forty time was reported at 4.65. to me he compares to Teddy Bruschi favorably. therefore the NE connection. he is competitive, atheletic, productive, good character and has proven exceptionally durable. sounds like first round material to me
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004   #16
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

The Patriots were going to take Babin if we didn't. Obviously they saw the same potential the Texans did going into the draft.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004   #17
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I also believe the whole Foreman issue comes into the drafting of Babin. If Foreman is gone for any reason, Wong steps in for him. Peek then can start and Babin is playing opposite Peek. I think much of the Babin draft had to do with long term future. He has done well and showed alot of promise in his rookie year. He could've been worse but wasn't so that is good. DROY I think is out of the question considering the challengers out there but a solid performance this year none the less.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004   #18
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Gosh, is it possible Casserly & Capers made a good decision in trading up? For a 3year old, I think team is doing good. Possible 8-8 or probable 7-9 (my preseason prediction)

We have 1. Very good QB 2. 1,000yd receiver 3. 2 shut down corners with Glenn at least one more year 4. Good slot w/r in Gafney 5. Peek, Wong, Sharper & Babin starters
6. 1,000 yd rusher (2nd consecutive year.)7. Good blocking f/back

Hopefully we will have in 05: 1.solid D'line with 1st rounder to take Payne place as some think he is gone and if it were me a second rounder or free agent pick up for another DT 2. Wide receiver- Bradford gone but Armstrong and maybe a pick with Dallas 3rd rounder to keep position strong 3. I think Oline better in 05 but blocking scheme may have to go. I would use our own 3rd round here if a free agent unavail.

Coleman signed a 2 year extension & has looked pretty good over all. I think Glenn Earl will start SS. A power back that can bang for 4 yds and get 10-12 carries should be avail @ 4th or 5th round. That's what I want for late Christmas present.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004   #19
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
I also believe the whole Foreman issue comes into the drafting of Babin. If Foreman is gone for any reason, Wong steps in for him. Peek then can start and Babin is playing opposite Peek. I think much of the Babin draft had to do with long term future. He has done well and showed alot of promise in his rookie year. He could've been worse but wasn't so that is good. DROY I think is out of the question considering the challengers out there but a solid performance this year none the less.

I have to agree, I had a lot of questions about the number of draft picks to get this guy. That said I think given a season or two and some time in defensive system he will blossom nicely next season and show why we picked him so high IMHO
BigDTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004   #20
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

yeah babin was a good pick, not bad for his rookie season. If not for D. Rob we would really think he was good !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read