Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-21-2008   #41
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kasey Studdard to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I think you are overrating Ware and underestimating Studdard. Like Vinny and others have stated, Studdard has looked very good thus far. Honestly, I've noticed Studdard get to the second level just as much if not more than the ones.

I might be wrong (wouldn't be the first), but Studdard can hold his own.

The V-Man gave us a good example of what Studdard does pretty well, which is mauling a defender when he gets ahold of him or gets him down. In a phone-booth with a D-player, I'd probably also put my money on Studdard. But what I'm mainly concerned about is his pass-blocking skills, especially against an elite edge rusher.
And I'll watch him closely Friday to see if he's getting upfield for cuts on the backside plays as you say ?
BTW, I don't think I'm overrating Ware. And no I'm not a Cowboy fan. I do
think he's more valuable than Mario in a 3-4 like the Cowboys run, but Mario's is the more valuable player in a 4-3 like we run. They are both tremendous young NFL players.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #42
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1064 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
The V-Man gave us a good example of what Studdard does pretty well, which is mauling a defender when he gets ahold of him or gets him down. In a phone-booth with a D-player, I'd probably also put my money on Studdard. But what I'm mainly concerned about is his pass-blocking skills, especially against an elite edge rusher.
And I'll watch him closely Friday to see if he's getting upfield for cuts on the backside plays as you say ?
BTW, I don't think I'm overrating Ware. And no I'm not a Cowboy fan. I do
think he's more valuable than Mario in a 3-4 like the Cowboys run, but Mario's is the more valuable player in a 4-3 like we run. They are both tremendous young NFL players.
First off, you're not overrating Ware at all. Dude is a stud! Duane Brown will field most of the pass-blocking responsibility on Demarcus Ware. They may run a few loop stunts where it will be up to Studdard to fend him off, but Ware is primarily an edge rusher. What KS will have to handle are the inside slants, stunts, and blitzes that are common out of 3-4 schemes. That is what I'll be looking at to see how he handles himself against that. I have confidence in him though.
Old 08-21-2008   #43
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

KS better be able to get back upfield for cuts on the backside plays.
Old 08-21-2008   #44
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 132014 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

fwiw I thought Brown did very well against a very credible pass rusher in Will Smith and felt he looked pretty darn good overall as far as I could tell from just watching on TV last week. No doubt that Studdard is gonna have to prove he can pull and get his blocks in space and protect the passer so this game is gonna go really be a defining moment in his young career.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #45
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
fwiw I thought Brown did very well against a very credible pass rusher in Will Smith and felt he looked pretty darn good overall as far as I could tell from just watching on TV last week. No doubt that Studdard is gonna have to prove he can pull and get his blocks in space and protect the passer so this game is gonna go really be a defining moment in his young career.
Duane Brown has blowed me away in how quickly he's been able to grasp pass protection. He's done very well against Elvis Dumervil and Will Smith and now he'll have a look at one of the best 3-4 defenses in the league. Then in the last week he'll see Gaines Adams (#4 pick in 2007) if both these players play in that last game.

I don't think you could get any better preseason matchups for a young rookie trying to be our franchise LT (outside of the Giants... this is great competition).

I was very supportive of our trade down and the selection of Brown, but even at that thought he wouldn't start game 1. I was fine with Salaam for the first few games with Brown seeing significant time during the game... and then he'd probably take over the starting job starting weeks 4-8. He's completely surprised me on how NFL ready he actually was.

I can't say enough good things about our Drafts for 2006 through 2008 (and our free agent pick ups during that time like Sage, Kevin Walter, Andre Davis, etc). I love being a Texan.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #46
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Pitts has alot to do with how fast Brown coming on so fast.
Old 08-21-2008   #47
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
White playing Guard with the 2nd team brings up an interesting question. I noticed Eslinger playing Center with the 2nd team, and most people seem to have White penciled in as the backup Center. With Eslinger playing Center and White playing Guard during the preseason, will Eslinger be the backup Center during the season and White a backup guard? Thoughts?
Eslinger played C for the Gophers of U of Minn (they run a ZBS).
At Minnesota, he was a four-year starter. As a senior, he was awarded the Outland Trophy, which is given to college football's best interior lineman, as well as the Dave Rimington Trophy, awarded to college football's top center.
An injury in 06 most likely set him back.
If he still has PS eligibility, that's probably where he'll end up, unless he comes up huge in the next two games (or the injury bug catch somebody.)

When McKinney went down last year, then Flanagan (in the Chargers game), White came in at C, played decent except for a couple of mistakes.
When Weary went down in the game in Nashville, White came in to play RG, and did it well until he himself got rolled over from the backside by a Titan player.

Studdard came in and immediately laid egg, allowing Tony Brown to get to Sage (luckily the ruling was that Sage's arm was in the forward motion, otherwise it would have been an INT and a TD for the Tacks.)
Despite that fiasco, I still like Studdard's motor.
I'm looking for him make it as backup at both G positions.
(He played LG for the Longhorns.)

White will probably make it as backup at both C and G.
Of course, these are only my speculations.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-21-2008   #48
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I agree on the point they need to TRY to make the run work this game, even if it fails horribly. THEY NEED THE PRACTICE!

It's beginning to look like last year; we pass, pass, pass, and pass and then run for a yard or two. Granted, we are a great passing team, but you still have to run if you want to make it to the playoffs.
As soon as our young O-linemen get it down, we'll be fine.

Let me take this example, as I just finish reviewing the first offensive series against the Broncos in the first pre-season game.

Taylor was robbed at least 2 yd a pop on 3 carries.
1. Myers was late off the snap and allowed the defender to get into the backfield and chased the play.
2. Duane Brown made the same mistake.
3. Winston missed a cut block on the next level.

I know I've seen more of those during other running plays.
All of our starting O-linemen made a minor mistake here and there that limited the running game.
Old 08-21-2008   #49
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Eslinger played C for the Gophers of U of Minn (they run a ZBS).
At Minnesota, he was a four-year starter. As a senior, he was awarded the Outland Trophy, which is given to college football's best interior lineman, as well as the Dave Rimington Trophy, awarded to college football's top center.
An injury in 06 most likely set him back.
If he still has PS eligibility, that's probably where he'll end up, unless he comes up huge in the next two games (or the injury bug catch somebody.)

When McKinney went down last year, then Flanagan (in the Chargers game), White came in at C, played decent except for a couple of mistakes.
When Weary went down in the game in Nashville, White came in to play RG, and did it well until he himself got rolled over from the backside by a Titan player.

Studdard came in and immediately laid egg, allowing Tony Brown to get to Sage (luckily the ruling was that Sage's arm was in the forward motion, otherwise it would have been an INT and a TD for the Tacks.)
Despite that fiasco, I still like Studdard's motor.
I'm looking for him make it as backup at both G positions.
(He played LG for the Longhorns.)

White will probably make it as backup at both C and G.
Eslinger has been on Denver's PS for 2 years, so I don't think he has anymore eligibility.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #50
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...White will probably make it as backup at both C and G.
agreed. i'm fairly confident that he'll be the 2C even though he hasn't had any reps simply because he can do both. my feeling is that since we haven't had much depth at the G position through camp because of Weary and Jackson's injury situations that White has had to play at G simply because we have 3 C's on the roster right now.

with Jackson out they were forced to move Frye out to LT. minus one G. then Weary's progress wasn't there. minus 2 G's. So there's White and Studdard so that kind of forces Eslinger into the 2 C spot even though White is probably the 2C come final roster because he can do both. how well I don't know since he's gotten zero reps there in the preseason.

i don't know how they could get White any reps at C when we're so thin at G (good depth but very little depth).
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #51
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I was very supportive of our trade down and the selection of Brown, but even at that thought he wouldn't start game 1. I was fine with Salaam for the first few games with Brown seeing significant time during the game... and then he'd probably take over the starting job starting weeks 4-8. He's completely surprised me on how NFL ready he actually was.

I can't say enough good things about our Drafts for 2006 through 2008 (and our free agent pick ups during that time like Sage, Kevin Walter, Andre Davis, etc). I love being a Texan.
damn draft geeks

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #52
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 192005 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As soon as our young O-linemen get it down, we'll be fine.

Let me take this example, as I just finish reviewing the first offensive series against the Broncos in the first pre-season game.

Taylor was robbed at least 2 yd a pop on 3 carries.
1. Myers was late off the snap and allowed the defender to get into the backfield and chased the play.
2. Duane Brown made the same mistake.
3. Winston missed a cut block on the next level.

I know I've seen more of those during other running plays.
All of our starting O-linemen made a minor mistake here and there that limited the running game.
Also, Jacoby Jones missed a block and that allowed the corner to knife in and stop Taylor on another run.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #53
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Also, Jacoby Jones missed a block and that allowed the corner to knife in and stop Taylor on another run.
Yeah, I just finished reviewing the first half.

In JJ defense, the Broncos always have the CB blitz in their package.
JJ was looking first to take the DB downfield.

Later on toward the end of the half on a pass play, Taylor wasn't looking for the CB to block, and Sage was decked. Sage wasn't looking for it either.

The coaching staff needs to prepare the players better.

Anyhow, the Broncos played more 1st stringers than the Texans in the 2nd quarter, especially on the lines.

Briesel did not fulfill his assignment on another Taylor's run.
I think there was also another player or two involved. Driessen and maybe Myers or Butler.

So basically, Taylor should have had a better day, but did not get enough help from his blockers.
Old 08-22-2008   #54
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Can someone please help me understand the excitement about Kasey Studdard? Every time I see him, he seems to be off-balanced and kind of stiff. It looks like he's got really short arms and isn't very athletic. While I do like his tenacity, it appears to me that he gets beaten badly as often as he wins his battle. Granted, I've always struggled ascessing individual performances on the interior line. I really would like someone to explain what they've personally seen that would make one think Studdard could be a good guard.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #55
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, I just finished reviewing the first half.

In JJ defense, the Broncos always have the CB blitz in their package.
JJ was looking first to take the DB downfield.

Later on toward the end of the half on a pass play, Taylor wasn't looking for the CB to block, and Sage was decked. Sage wasn't looking for it either.

The coaching staff needs to prepare the players better.

Anyhow, the Broncos played more 1st stringers than the Texans in the 2nd quarter, especially on the lines.

Briesel did not fulfill his assignment on another Taylor's run.
I think there was also another player or two involved. Driessen and maybe Myers or Butler.

So basically, Taylor should have had a better day, but did not get enough help from his blockers.

I thought Taylor started to get a feel for the ZBS in the third quarter. I still expect him to have a significant role at RB this season. Realize that he's not only learning a new system but also trying to trust his surgically repaired knee... usually that takes a little while and I think one could see that he ran with more authority in the Saints game.

Last edited by dalemurphy; 08-22-2008 at 05:50 AM.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #56
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Can someone please help me understand the excitement about Kasey Studdard? Every time I see him, he seems to be off-balanced and kind of stiff. It looks like he's got really short arms and isn't very athletic.
I share your views of Studdard, dalemurphy. Of course he's a UT guy so just that automatically gives him a fan base here in the city.
He may be OK in Coach Gibbs system, but if he does then his success will totally invalidate the argument than athleticism is a prerequisite to play effectively in the ZBS.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #57
Dancerdog
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 Dancerdog was voted MVPDancerdog was voted MVPDancerdog was voted MVP

ZBS Guru Gibbs to student Kasey Studdard...

Gibbs: Kasey-san, you'll be starting at left guard against the Cowboys of Dallas this Friday night.

Studdard: Do you really think I'm ready?

Gibbs: Just to trust the picture Kasey-san...just to trust the picture.
Dancerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #58
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

People like Studdard because of who he is, even if he was an Aggie or a Lobo. He is a throwback player, that gets it done on the field by executing, getting to the second level and being nasty. Who doesn't want to see that type of player do well?
Old 08-22-2008   #59
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1064 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Can someone please help me understand the excitement about Kasey Studdard? Every time I see him, he seems to be off-balanced and kind of stiff. It looks like he's got really short arms and isn't very athletic. While I do like his tenacity, it appears to me that he gets beaten badly as often as he wins his battle. Granted, I've always struggled ascessing individual performances on the interior line. I really would like someone to explain what they've personally seen that would make one think Studdard could be a good guard.
I think most of the excitement does come from the fact that he is a Longhorn. I do like some of the things I've seen him do. He has good punch when engaging a defender. He seems to have good upper body strength and decent enough feet. He isn't the biggest guy in the world, but he is pretty athletic for his size. I think what the Texans like most about him is that he plays with an edge. From what I've seen, KS isn't afraid to get dirty, and I think that is the key for an o-lineman playing under Alex Gibbs.
Old 08-22-2008   #60
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

To me, he looks like the kind of guy who's probably already pretty dirty anyway.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read