Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2008   #21
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kasey Studdard to start

Good to see Kasey getting a start, but at the expense of all Texan fan's worried about Schaub having his blindside protected by those with minimal experience while up against a stiff defense.

Definitely watch RB blocking against the Cowboys, because Kubiak will and is probably going to have some basis on cuts and position on the depth chart.
Old 08-20-2008   #22
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 2327 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I saw a good moment for Kasey ......
Ya, I reviewed my DVR earlier this week and there were several plays on that drive where White, Studdard and Frye were just obliterating their counterparts (on the entire right side).... All three really looked great and I think the coaches took notice and are giving Studdard a chance here to see what he can do....
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #23
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
The thing that is most bothersome to me about Studdard starting is that he will be on the left side. I doubt he has spent much time practicing there AND he will be next to the rookie D. Brown. I suspect that Schaub isn't comfortable with it either as the heat will come from that side and that is the one with the least experience.
Actually, U R WORNG!!!!

Kasey's been playing with the 2's on the left side. He's been backing up Pitts so this should be natural for him.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #24
Studdard64
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Studdard64 is a quality contributor and well respectedStuddard64 is a quality contributor and well respectedStuddard64 is a quality contributor and well respectedStuddard64 is a quality contributor and well respectedStuddard64 is a quality contributor and well respectedStuddard64 is a quality contributor and well respectedStuddard64 is a quality contributor and well respectedStuddard64 is a quality contributor and well respectedStuddard64 is a quality contributor and well respectedStuddard64 is a quality contributor and well respectedStuddard64 is a quality contributor and well respected

He'll be ready...
Old 08-21-2008   #25
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Definitely watch RB blocking against the Cowboys, because Kubiak will and is probably going to have some basis on cuts and position on the depth chart.
Good point. I also expect to see even more play-action stuff and possibly even more rushing to move the emphasis away from the pass-oriented offense we've been having lately.

Also, with the blocks that Slaton showed us all against the Saints, I think the blindside will be OK.
Old 08-21-2008   #26
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Good point. I also expect to see even more play-action stuff and possibly even more rushing to move the emphasis away from the pass-oriented offense we've been having lately.

Also, with the blocks that Slaton showed us all against the Saints, I think the blindside will be OK.
As things stand now, with or without a successful Slaton, I believe that the Texans would be wise to play to their indisputable strength, and seriously entertain the philosophy of passing to set up the run.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #27
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

This is just a tad bit off the subject but did anyone notice how Chris Brown did on pass protection?

I did see the good enough block he gave for Matt to throw the TD to Leach.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-21-2008   #28
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
As things stand now, with or without a successful Slaton, I believe that the Texans would be wise to play to their indisputable strength, and seriously entertain the philosophy of passing to set up the run.
I agree that that could work, but at the same time this may be our last pre-season chance to 'really' force the running game to see how it produces?

I guess we'll see, it'll be interesting regardless of what strategy they'll apply tomorrow
Old 08-21-2008   #29
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
I agree that that could work, but at the same time this may be our last pre-season chance to 'really' force the running game to see how it produces?

I guess we'll see, it'll be interesting regardless of what strategy they'll apply tomorrow
I agree on the point they need to TRY to make the run work this game, even if it fails horribly. THEY NEED THE PRACTICE!

It's beginning to look like last year; we pass, pass, pass, and pass and then run for a yard or two. Granted, we are a great passing team, but you still have to run if you want to make it to the playoffs.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #30
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

That's why I say for just one more season bring back Dayne.
Old 08-21-2008   #31
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I agree on the point they need to TRY to make the run work this game, even if it fails horribly. THEY NEED THE PRACTICE!

It's beginning to look like last year; we pass, pass, pass, and pass and then run for a yard or two. Granted, we are a great passing team, but you still have to run if you want to make it to the playoffs.

I am OK with passing to set up the run to some degree.

However, it is imperative to be able to run the ball even when the other side is counting on it. When the Texans have the lead in the 2nd half (which I hope is the majority of the time) they NEED to be able to pound out some serious yards on the ground.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #32
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Will Walker play this week?
Old 08-21-2008   #33
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
The thing that is most bothersome to me about Studdard starting is that he will be on the left side. I doubt he has spent much time practicing there AND he will be next to the rookie D. Brown. I suspect that Schaub isn't comfortable with it either as the heat will come from that side and that is the one with the least experience.
Good point. It is a reason for concern because Chester is our best OLineman
IMO and much more athletic than the slothfooted Studdard.
Mario is becoming very effective as a pass-rusher, but he doesn't have the lightning-quick moves of the Cowboys' Ware. I'm just hoping Studdard doesn't stumble over his own feet trying to protect Schaub if he has to
go one-on-one against Ware in a stunt-scenario ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #34
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Good point. It is a reason for concern because Chester is our best OLineman
IMO and much more athletic than the slothfooted Studdard.
Mario is becoming very effective as a pass-rusher, but he doesn't have the lightning-quick moves of the Cowboys' Ware. I'm just hoping Studdard doesn't stumble over his own feet trying to protect Schaub if he has to
go one-on-one against Ware in a stunt-scenario ?
I think you are overrating Ware and underestimating Studdard. Like Vinny and others have stated, Studdard has looked very good thus far. Honestly, I've noticed Studdard get to the second level just as much if not more than the ones.

I might be wrong (wouldn't be the first), but Studdard can hold his own.

Old 08-21-2008   #35
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans know what they have in their passing offense and I would expect them to protect the potential liability of a young left side with few long drops in the pocket while Schaub is in. Studdard does not appear to be a liability with the run and as we all know we have sorting out to do in our backfield. Therefore, I expect us to run often.

Lastly, this will be a good scout game for the Steelers defense, we do not want to show our best players orchestrating the best of our playbook in my opinion.
Old 08-21-2008   #36
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

This will be a great test for Studdard and the rest of our line. The thing about Gibbs' system is that ALL the linemen have to be on the exact same page for it to work- it'll be interesting how the 5 of them mesh with a new guy in there (1st team).

An injury like this to Pitts can easily happen at any time, just sayin. We could be going into the season with our starting OL looking like this:
LT- late 1st rounder (Rookie)
LG- 6th round pick (1 year in nfl)
C- 6th round pick (3 years in nfl)
RG- undrafted free agent (2 years in nfl)
RG- 3rd round pick (2 years in nfl)

This is the epitome of a Gibbs offensive line. If we are successful at pass/run blocking against Dallas with our 1st team... I dare say Gibbs is on the fast track to already turning this team around.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #37
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
I am OK with passing to set up the run to some degree.

However, it is imperative to be able to run the ball even when the other side is counting on it. When the Texans have the lead in the 2nd half (which I hope is the majority of the time) they NEED to be able to pound out some serious yards on the ground.
I don't know about NEED. It would be great, yes; but, we sure gotta a lotta options for short passes. I would much rather have this problem than Dominick Davis and NO passing game--well, except to him anyway.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

First, I'm disappointed that this move is happening because of an injury. I believe the second team is playing at a higher level, against the competition they face, than our first team. Which would lead me to believe something is going right on the second team, and it may be a person who needs to be moved up to the starting team.

But that's neither here nor there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Lastly, this will be a good scout game for the Steelers defense, we do not want to show our best players orchestrating the best of our playbook in my opinion.
I here what you are saying, but our run game is so bad, we don't need to worry about holding back any secrets... JMO, we need to throw it all out there, and get something going.
Old 08-21-2008   #39
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I here what you are saying, but our run game is so bad, we don't need to worry about holding back any secrets... JMO, we need to throw it all out there, and get something going.
I was referring to our passing game. The ZBS is about execution. If executed properly it is difficult to stop.
Old 08-21-2008   #40
gary
Hall of Fame

Agreed.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read