Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-19-2008   #1
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Impactful Rookies

Woodson on Total Access just named Steve Slaton as one of the two rookie running backs that might have the most impact this season.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #2
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Re: Impactful Rookies

I am very excited about his potential this year. He no longer dances in the backfield and seems commited to making one cut and go. Throw in that he isn't afraid to throw a block and I think we've got the 2nd coming of Clinton Portis.

Draft a Marion Barber type in the 2nd or 3rd next season and we've got quite the 1-2 punch imo.
Old 08-19-2008   #3
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

His blitz pickup seemed to look steady enough for me.
Old 08-19-2008   #4
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post

Draft a Marion Barber type in the 2nd or 3rd next season and we've got quite the 1-2 punch imo.
And there you have it.

Now, go find him Rick.

There are several rookie RBs to watch this year. I'm especially interested in McFadden, Stewart, Kevin Smith, Forte, Chris Johnson, Felix Jones, Mendenhall, Tim Hightower ....

Last edited by aj.; 08-19-2008 at 08:48 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Woodson on Total Access just named Steve Slaton as one of the two rookie running backs that might have the most impact this season.
That's a safe pick for Woodson.

Slaton is easily beating the other RBs on our roster, at the moment. Makes sense that Slaton would potentially have the most impact this year: He's on a roster of struggling RBs. Won't take much from Slaton to make an impact.

I'm starting to get pissey again about our RB situation.

aj had to go and throw out names such as Felix Jones, Mendenhall, and Chris Johnson--all were available to us--and I wish he had kept those names to himself.
Old 08-19-2008   #6
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

I just drafted Slaton in the 20th round of a 20 round mock.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #7
D-Frank
Veteran

Rep Power: 97 D-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

frank been gettin beat up. like he big for no reason.
i had him as a immediate rookie impact
D-Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-19-2008   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate all the hypes!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Dang it, you got a steal right there, my friend!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #10
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Dang it, you got a steal right there, my friend!
I think the key will be this next preseason game against the cowboys. I think he does well and will shoot up the draft boards. With such little press on him, I have been able to grab him with my last pick in 2 straight drafts and likely will again in my third and final draft.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #11
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
I am very excited about his potential this year. He no longer dances in the backfield and seems commited to making one cut and go. Throw in that he isn't afraid to throw a block and I think we've got the 2nd coming of Clinton Portis.

That's what I'm hoping for, although I won't throw out any names (except for Arian Foster or Marlon Lucky).
Old 08-19-2008   #12
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
and he's #20, heh.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #13
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
That's a safe pick for Woodson.

Slaton is easily beating the other RBs on our roster, at the moment. Makes sense that Slaton would potentially have the most impact this year: He's on a roster of struggling RBs. Won't take much from Slaton to make an impact.

I'm starting to get pissey again about our RB situation.

aj had to go and throw out names such as Felix Jones, Mendenhall, and Chris Johnson--all were available to us--and I wish he had kept those names to himself.
So you think Mendenhall, Jones, or Johnson alone is worth more than Duane Brown, Steve Slaton, and Dominique Barber combined? Gotta disagree with that.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #14
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1-DE/FS
2-RB/DE
3-RB/FS
4-7-BPA, depth
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #15
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
1-DE/FS
2-RB/DE
3-RB/FS
4-7-BPA, depth
I think our biggest need before the season starts is another stud LB to go with Demeco and a true weakside end so we can move Mario to strongside end full time. Dont know what the draft pool looks like but I think we sandwich Slaton's partner in crime in between a DE/OLB.
Old 08-19-2008   #16
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think our biggest need before the season starts is another stud LB to go with Demeco and a true weakside end so we can move Mario to strongside end full time. Dont know what the draft pool looks like but I think we sandwich Slaton's partner in crime in between a DE/OLB.
I think Adibi can be that other stud backer after he get caught up to the speed of the NFL, and after a off-season under a NFL program. If he bulks up like DeMeco did this off-season without losing speed then he can really be special IMO. He already have the talents and intangibilities. I think Diles can hold the SLB spot. But we might upgrade that spot and get someone that can create havoc on pass-rushing.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #17
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
I think Adibi can be that other stud backer after he get caught up to the speed of the NFL, and after a off-season under a NFL program. If he bulks up like DeMeco did this off-season without losing speed then he can really be special IMO. He already have the talents and intangibilities. I think Diles can hold the SLB spot. But we might upgrade that spot and get someone that can create havoc in the pass-rushing game.
I hope so, the more preseason weaknesses checked off the list by the time next offseason rolls around the better.

EX: Last year at this time one of our biggest needs was a WR 2...that's no longer a problem I think
Old 08-19-2008   #18
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Slaton's ownership has risen 2.2% for the past two days (so each day another 2.2%) at ESPN's fantasy leagues. So his name is becoming more known.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #19
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Slaton was a top player in college two years ago, people are just now remembering what kind of a force he was.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #20
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agree'd , can we please get ridda J. Foreman ..... Errr Morlon Greenwood.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read