Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 08-19-2008   #1
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101824 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Top 2009 runningback prospects?

Unless another glaring need develops I really see Houston spending a first rounder on a RB. I know everybody says Denver (and Smithiak) does not spend first rounders on RBs......but after this season (unless Slaton just busts the hell out and rushes for like 1,000+ yards) I really see Houston just going ahead and drafting a RB in round 1 (round 2 at the latest) and then being done with it.

So my question is to the draft/college guru's on this site.... Who are the top running back prospects that will be available for next years draft and what kind've game do they have? Who are the best "every down" (not scat) backs?

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Top 2009 runningback prospects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Unless another glaring need develops I really see Houston spending a first rounder on a RB. I know everybody says Denver (and Smithiak) does not spend first rounders on RBs......but after this season (unless Slaton just busts the hell out and rushes for like 1,000+ yards) I really see Houston just going ahead and drafting a RB in round 1 (round 2 at the latest) and then being done with it.

So my question is to the draft/college guru's on this site.... Who are the top running back prospects that will be available for next years draft and what kind've game do they have? Who are the best "every down" (not scat) backs?
it depends on what underclassman declare for the 09 draft. strictly speaking only senior backs, I have yet to be convinced one will warrent selection when the Texans draft in the 1st rd. which means look for their 2nd rd. pick to be a bigger, feature back type who slips down to them. one I can think of stright off the top of my head is SEC Tennessee RB Arian Foster, already a preseason candidate for the 2008 Maxwell Award. @ 6-1 220lbs woiuld be a nice compliment to Slayton.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Great thread. I like where beerlover is going with this. We've got Slaton, so assuming he works out... we need a different kind of RB. Popular term is Thunder and Lightening... well we need a Thunder.

I like Arian Foster (Tennessee) and James Davis (5-11, 210 lbs Clemson) so far the best, this early in the season. Not sure they would warrant our 1st round selection unless we have a GREAT record and advance to the playoffs. (sorry for the picture aggie fans)

I see them as more of 2nd round type of guys because the don't have the 4.3 speed. Both both should do well in our offense, have good size, are decisive and can pound the football.

I can see us using our 1st rounder on a DE or one of the stud Safeties, and then following up in the 2nd round with a RB.

I also don't think 1st round RB is out of the question. The Kubiak doesn't draft RB's in the 1st round bit is overplayed and misleading. We've discussed the topic in length before so I'm not going to get into it. I think this thread is perfect just to look at the talent out there and who would be a good fit- regardless of what round we think they go in.

During the '07 draft we thought Slaton would be a 1st rounder for '08. If we just decided not to watch him because "we don't draft them in the 1st myth" we would have missed out and not known much about him going into the 3rd round. Let's look at the talent and skill set right now and not focus on Rounds.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #4
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115757 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Uuuuum, can anyone say Beanie Wells??? I think he would be just perfect.

Knoshawn Moreno would be one nice weapon to have.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Uuuuum, can anyone say Beanie Wells??? I think he would be just perfect.

Knoshawn Moreno would be one nice weapon to have.
Chris Wells, 6-1 237 is a Jr. @ Ohio State if thats who you mean? If he comes out early & is still on the board in the 20's (projecting the Texans to have a winning season) then heck yeah

Same thing with Moreno, 5-11 208 (redshirted in 06) but he is more like Steve Slayton so if he where still on the board (doubtfull) maybe Rick Smith could trade down with a team who wants him & pick up extra picks?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 08-20-2008   #6
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115757 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Chris Wells, 6-1 237 is a Jr. @ Ohio State if thats who you mean? If he comes out early & is still on the board in the 20's (projecting the Texans to have a winning season) then heck yeah

Same thing with Moreno, 5-11 208 (redshirted in 06) but he is more like Steve Slayton so if he where still on the board (doubtfull) maybe Rick Smith could trade down with a team who wants him & pick up extra picks?
I would be really surprised if Chris (Beenie) Wells stays an extra year. He is going to be waaaayy to coveted by many teams. He is the total package as well and a guy that could be really good right away.

Moreno is really nice though. He is much better than Slaton. I hear what you're saying though. If Slaton has the kind of year that many of us hope, then the Texans would need more of a pound runner rather than a scat back kind of guy. Moreno is just flat out awsome though!

A lot of the backs this year in college though are only Juniors or sophmores though.
Old 08-20-2008   #7
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

100% agree with OMT FS or maybe DE in 1rst round. RB in 2nd round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-20-2008   #8
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Moreno, Davis, Murray and Wells are my top guys right now.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #9
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Moreno, Davis, Murray and Wells are my top guys right now.
I don't think Murray will be coming out after this year. He's only a sophmore right now.
Old 08-20-2008   #10
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

1) Chris Wells, Ohio St*
2) Knowshon Moreno, Uga**
3) LeSean McCoy, Pitt**
4) James Davis, Clemson
5) Arian Foster, Tennessee
6) CJ Spiller, Clemson
7) Marlon Lucky, Nebraska
8) Javon Ringer, Michigan St
9) Ian Johnson, Boise St
10) Keegan Herring, Arizona St
SLEEPER: Kahlil Bell, UCLA

As much as I would love to land any of the top 3, I know that's a dream. Davis would be a perfect fit and would compliment Slaton well, but with another good season I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't last until round 2. Arian Foster would also be a good compliment RB with his more physical style of play. It also doesn't hurt that he can break off some big runs as well. However, the RB I really want out of those is Marlon Lucky. Good vision, solid measurables, and a dual threat RB (1,000 yards rushing and 700 receiving last season).
Old 08-20-2008   #11
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I don't think Murray will be coming out after this year. He's only a sophmore right now.
Redshirt Sophomore, just like Moreno.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #12
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.draftcountdown.com/rankings/rb.php
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88 View Post
1) Chris Wells, Ohio St*
2) Knowshon Moreno, Uga**
3) LeSean McCoy, Pitt**
4) James Davis, Clemson
5) Arian Foster, Tennessee
6) CJ Spiller, Clemson
7) Marlon Lucky, Nebraska
8) Javon Ringer, Michigan St
9) Ian Johnson, Boise St
10) Keegan Herring, Arizona St
SLEEPER: Kahlil Bell, UCLA

As much as I would love to land any of the top 3, I know that's a dream. Davis would be a perfect fit and would compliment Slaton well, but with another good season I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't last until round 2. Arian Foster would also be a good compliment RB with his more physical style of play. It also doesn't hurt that he can break off some big runs as well. However, the RB I really want out of those is Marlon Lucky. Good vision, solid measurables, and a dual threat RB (1,000 yards rushing and 700 receiving last season).
don't the Texans already have a back from Nebraska?

In other breaking news......James Davis is a 1st rd. back. could be high on the Texans draft board come April 09.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 08-20-2008   #14
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
don't the Texans already have a back from Nebraska?

In other breaking news......James Davis is a 1st rd. back. could be high on the Texans draft board come April 09.
This one doesn't break down every other rushing attempt and isn't old by NFL standards.
Old 08-21-2008   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I really don't want to get ahead of ourselves but I truthfully still expect us to be around 8-8 and picking towards the middle. If Smith can work his magic again to get us moving back 8 spots and picking up another 3rd and 6th.... late 1st round seems to be a great spot to pick up some really quality RB's (too early to tell with any of these guys but I'm just assuming).
Old 08-21-2008   #16
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Redshirt Sophomore, just like Moreno.
Moreno is only a sophomore? I thought the guy had to have been a Senior for sure. Wow! I guess he will most likely stay another year after this one.
Old 08-21-2008   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88167 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The rule is

A player has to have been in college for 3 years to qualify for the NFL draft.

Redshirt sophs will qualify after this season.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #18
Polo

Old 08-21-2008   #19
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
The rule is

A player has to have been in college for 3 years to qualify for the NFL draft.

Redshirt sophs will qualify after this season.
Technically I think it's three years removed from highschool but the thoughts the same.
Old 08-21-2008   #20
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88167 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

My favorites in order are

1. McCoy
2. Wells
3.Davis
4. Foster
5. Lucky

Backs that I hope come out early & add depth to the draft are Murray & Goodson

Sleeper pick Kevin Grady he was a stud 2 Michigan before he tore his ACL & got stuck behind Mike Hart.

We should be able to find able to find a power back to compliment Slaton in the 3rd round.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read