Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-19-2008   #21
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: Pound your chest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Yeah, he falls on people.
So. He gets yards if Green doesn't play much this season I'd much rather a vet than a unproven rookie.
Old 08-19-2008   #22
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I know Dayne was the best thing we had the last couple of years. I just hate to see this team keep going back to the same old "hope he can get us by" theory.

Don't know what thread it was on, but somebody mentioned how much better the roll-out passes are working with RBs that have more speed than him to the outside (meaning everybody). RBs have more effect on an offense than just that guaranteed 2.9 to 3.3 yards on every run and a cloud of dust. Ds don't have to respect Dayne as a threat to go outside at all.

I'm hoping Slaton will prove he can run between the tackles and we can draft a good RB next offseason (because Slaton will eventually wear down....I suspect).

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #23
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

I miss Ron "The Great Tenderizer" Dayne as well. I ain't afraid to say it.
Old 08-19-2008   #24
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

If Dayne gets three or four yards a carry than that would leave a 3rd and short.
Old 08-19-2008   #25
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know Dayne was the best thing we had the last couple of years. I just hate to see this team keep going back to the same old "hope he can get us by" theory.

Don't know what thread it was on, but somebody mentioned how much better the roll-out passes are working with RBs that have more speed than him to the outside (meaning everybody). RBs have more effect on an offense than just that guaranteed 2.9 to 3.3 yards on every run and a cloud of dust. Ds don't have to respect Dayne as a threat to go outside at all.

I'm hoping Slaton will prove he can run between the tackles and we can draft a good RB next offseason (because Slaton will eventually wear down....I suspect).
See, that's just it. How do you see us "going back to" that? We haven't left it unless we happen to see Slaton blow up like the second coming of Clinton Portis we've done nothing to break that pattern (yet). Dayne goes out, Brown comes in, Green stays hurt, the beat goes on. Clearly we're not ready to turn that corner yet and add a feature back (or we're trying to see if we can get one in the third round) and so why isn't Dayne here? He's exactly what we're doing this year (and a better option than either Ahman Green (got to get on the field if you want props), Darius Walker, or Chris Taylor right now without a doubt in my mind).

I'm not saying I want to root for Ron Dayne all year. I don't. I know he's not the answer to what we really need but he's not any worse than all of these guys and arguably is the only one who ever produced any long-term results for this team. How he managed to not get invited back for another vet minimum shot at making the team I'll never know.

Yes, get better than Ron Dayne. The Texans haven't made much of an effort to do that yet so until they do I'm going to keep bitching about how the best running back we've had for the last two years isn't in camp. When the Texans make a real move to get better than Dayne I'm all behind them. Is Chris Brown "Ron Dayne 2.0" and an upgrade over him? I sure hope so but he hasn't impressed me yet. So far he just looks like I guy we signed one or two years too late.
Old 08-19-2008   #26
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80659 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I for some reason like Ron Dayne too. I know hes somewhere out there having champagne wishes and cheeseburger dreams.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #27
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
See, that's just it. How do you see us "going back to" that? We haven't left it unless we happen to see Slaton blow up like the second coming of Clinton Portis we've done nothing to break that pattern (yet). Dayne goes out, Brown comes in, Green stays hurt, the beat goes on. Clearly we're not ready to turn that corner yet and add a feature back (or we're trying to see if we can get one in the third round) and so why isn't Dayne here? He's exactly what we're doing this year (and a better option than either Ahman Green (got to get on the field if you want props), Darius Walker, or Chris Taylor right now without a doubt in my mind).

I'm not saying I want to root for Ron Dayne all year. I don't. I know he's not the answer to what we really need but he's not any worse than all of these guys and arguably is the only one who ever produced any long-term results for this team. How he managed to not get invited back for another vet minimum shot at making the team I'll never know.

Yes, get better than Ron Dayne. The Texans haven't made much of an effort to do that yet so until they do I'm going to keep bitching about how the best running back we've had for the last two years isn't in camp. When the Texans make a real move to get better than Dayne I'm all behind them. Is Chris Brown "Ron Dayne 2.0" and an upgrade over him? I sure hope so but he hasn't impressed me yet. So far he just looks like I guy we signed one or two years too late.
Agreed.
Sponsored links
Old 08-19-2008   #28
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I'm going to make a bold baseless prediction.

Marcel Shipp makes the team and produces at least as well as Dayne did.
Old 08-19-2008   #29
gary
Hall of Fame

I sure hope you are right.
Old 08-19-2008   #30
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

None of the RBs we have right now look (at least to me anyway) to be the answer to our running game, including Slaton. We need to get a good one in the draft next year.

I think Slaton will give us some excitement this year, but I don't see how he is going to become a full time RB.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #31
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

When I saw that we were about to sign Shipp, I wondered what Jonathan Wells is up to these days.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #32
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I totally understand the casual or unobservant fan being confounded by the fact that we let the guy go that had the most statistical success for us the past two years.

I really don't understand (nor do I mean this as an insult) how guys like you, Hervoyel (I know you study the game and know what you're looking at), don't see how every back in camp right now offers value that Dayne could not.
All of them can stretch the play and theaten the edge. That is what allows the cut back, the boot leg, and all the misdirection which is a bench mark for this offense. The fact that Dayne could grind out 100 yards on a good day doesn't negate the fact that he was unable to threaten the defense with big play ability or threaten the area outside the hash marks. In today's NFL, the greatest value, IMO, of the running game is the freedom it creates for the passing game. Ron Dayne doesn't give the passing game any freedom- so, he's not here now.

Can you explain where you think I'm wrong, because I really would like to know why you think Ron Dayne belongs on this team. After all, it's not just nostalgia, right?
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #33
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So go ahead and subtract Dayne and give me your estimate of our running game and W/L column the past two years with Wali Lundy and Samkon Gado.
You are talking about addition by subtraction...

Are you saying that our running game was good?

I don't know if I would stick up for any of our backs from the last two years. Because overall, we had no talent in the backfield. Well, besides a broken down Green.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #34
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

To me right now it doesn't look so much as needing a guy to step in and carry the load as much as a guy to step up and compliment Steve Slaton.

I'm not counting on Green to be healthy that much I do know. All things considered the past few years we've had so many holes to fill. Smith and Kubiak have done an amazing job getting a 2-14 talentless team to a team with the capability to fight for a playoff spot in two years.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #35
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 36225 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
OK time to list the things you were right about, since we have a crow thread.

Ya'll start, I'm not going to dare post my list first.

Mike
I think Herv and Dale are the only 2 that have actually answered the question without turning it into a "it would be right to... / running back" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
1. Matt Schaub would be a very good QB.
2. Mario Williams being a smart pick
2b. Reggie Bush was way over rated as a pro back.
2c. It would take yearsss for Vince to develop into a quality passer
3. Rashod Butler
4. At least 8 wins last year
Quote:
...Seriously though I was totally dead right about Ahman Green from the instant that I heard about his signing with the Texans. ......
So what WERE you right about?

Personally, I've been right about very little - mainly due to following the masses (they're original thoughts on Carr, Capers, Bush...). If anything, I'm right that the masses (and ESPN) are usually wrong.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #36
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Heck, I can't think of anything I didn't change my mind about at least twice.

Well, OK, here's one (I guess):

Pendry will suck at OC and the guy he is replacing is a scapegoat.

Old 08-19-2008   #37
HJam72
Hall of Fame

I'm not so sure that Dayne is better than any of those guys when you consider what little threat he is to do anything but run straight ahead into an 8 man front for 3 yards. The D is just not kept honest with him on the field. They stack the box, he gets 3.3 yards anyway, and if we have to throw....well, Dayne has to pass block 8 guys, lol. OK, that's a rediculous exxageration, but the lack of concern for an outside run is a legitimate problem.

It's impressive that he can do a decent job at something when everyone is expecting it and waiting for him, but he is one-dimensional. I mean, he's pretty big around, but he's still one-dimensional.

I woudn't be too upset if they did bring him back for o o o o o o n e m oo o o o r e y e e e e e a r, but I wouldn't do it.

Old 08-19-2008   #38
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Heck, I can't think of anything I didn't change my mind about at least twice.

Well, OK, here's one (I guess):

Pendry will suck at OC and the guy he is replacing is a scapegoat.
Oh, yeah, I was right about this too:

As I sat in the stands in that Pittsburgh fiasco week 2, 2005...I realized that we are going to be one of the worst NFL teams in the history of the salary cap era.

Of course, 3 weeks earlier I was calling for playoffs since we had won 7 games the year before and were clearly on the upswing. Up until that game, I was also comparing David Carr's 1st 3 years with Troy Aikman's first three years- believing that he was on the cusp of a very good career... but, this is the wrong thread for that.
Old 08-19-2008   #39
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm not so sure that Dayne is better than any of those guys when you consider what little threat he is to do anything but run straight ahead into an 8 man front for 3 yards. The D is just not kept honest with him on the field. They stack the box, he gets 3.3 yards anyway, and if we have to throw....well, Dayne has to pass block 8 guys, lol. OK, that's a rediculous exxageration, but the lack of concern for an outside run is a legitimate problem.

It's impressive that he can do a decent job at something when everyone is expecting it and waiting for him, but he is one-dimensional. I mean, he's pretty big around, but he's still one-dimensional.

I woudn't be too upset if they did bring him back for o o o o o o n e m oo o o o r e y e e e e e a r, but I wouldn't do it.
I would argue that our offense is better with Slaton in the game if he gets 15 carries for only 45 yards versus Ron Dayne getting 20 carries for 80 yards. That's really my point. I don't think yardage production tells the whole story in regards to effectiveness at HB.
Old 08-19-2008   #40
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
OK time to list the things you were right about, since we have a crow thread.

Ya'll start, I'm not going to dare post my list first.

Mike
You should start one of these in the Draft section...
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read