Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-18-2008   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Trade for Ronnie Brown?

Okay, I'm not into making up hypothetical trades and fishing for big names that we "could" get in a trade to make our team look like a fantasy football menace.

Having said that, Mortenson reported that the Dolphins may be interested in trading away Ronnie Brown. I wouldn't consider that news except that Mortenson strings are pulled by Parcells.

I would be extremely interested in trading for Brown... Something in the neighborhood of a 2nd round pick and a conditional pick would be great... We would just have to make sure he gets a grueling and thorough physical.

Ronnie Brown is a beast!

What do you think?
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #2
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx
Default Re: Trade for Ronnie Brown?

I'd do it .. for a 3rd and a conditional pick, not a second and a conditional pick, but only because I have him on one of my fantasy teams.

Edit: I'd never trade Sage ... but hypothetically ... Sage for Winfield and a 4th?

Last edited by Brandon420tx; 08-18-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Brandon420tx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

There's no rumor about the Texans trading for Ronnie Brown. Which makes this a NFL topic.

If Brown is healthy, why would Parcells deal him? Sounds like damaged goods to me. And I'm not confident in the Texans ability to ascertain Brown's soundness after this grueling physical. Pass.
Old 08-18-2008   #4
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm more interested in finding the next Ryan Grant - but only if he won't be a stick in the mud and demand a long term deal after playing in only 8 games or whatever it was. That 3rd stringer for the Browns looks pretty good to me.... Jerome Harrison... unfortunately he's one of their draft products and won't be cut in a couple of weeks/
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not interested in trading away any more 2nd rd. picks. can we please just keep one for a change? the last time the Texans had a 2nd rd. pick was 2006 & he turned out to be pretty good

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #6
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I'm not interested in trading away any more 2nd rd. picks. can we please just keep one for a change? the last time the Texans had a 2nd rd. pick was 2006 & he turned out to be pretty good

Sure, but those 2nd round picks in '07 and '08 were spent well, i think.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #7
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't go wrong with an Auburn tailback.
Old 08-18-2008   #8
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Unfortunately something is wrong if Ricky Williams is beating him out.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #9
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
It's all in the chronic, man.

Old 08-19-2008   #10
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
i'm more interested in finding the next ryan grant - but only if he won't be a stick in the mud and demand a long term deal after playing in only 8 games or whatever it was. That 3rd stringer for the browns looks pretty good to me.... Jerome harrison... Unfortunately he's one of their draft products and won't be cut in a couple of weeks/
+ 1
Old 08-19-2008   #11
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post

Exactly, a guy that comes in that hasn't played a full NFL season in several years now that has had his own injury issues and drug problems beats out a guy that was having a really good year before he got injured last year????

Sounds like damaged goods to me as well. We already have a lot of those.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #12
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
I'm more interested in finding the next Ryan Grant - but only if he won't be a stick in the mud and demand a long term deal after playing in only 8 games or whatever it was. That 3rd stringer for the Browns looks pretty good to me.... Jerome Harrison... unfortunately he's one of their draft products and won't be cut in a couple of weeks/

Louis Rankin (Raiders) is another player at the bottom of his team's depth chart that, in the first two preseason games, looks like a pretty good player.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #13
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

This is actually pretty interesting to me, although I don't think I'd give them next years #2, and that's probably what it would take. I think I'd either go with a 3rd that could become a 2nd based on performance, or I'd go with a 2nd in the 2010 draft. The reason for this is that even if things are progressing on track for Brown's ACL recovery, we're likely not going to be able to see how far back he's going to come until 2009, and unless he's the rare exception, he'll probably be able to play in '08, but won't be fully recovered from a performance standpoint.

That said, if he can recover to the extent numerous others have (Jamaal Lewis is the first that comes to mind quickly), he's a workhorse who could potentially be teamed with Slaton as a change of pace back, and provide us a very good backfield. I just don't think it improves us more than marginally for the coming season.
Old 08-19-2008   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Trade for a RB that is in year 4 of a 5 year contract after coming off a knee injury? No thanks.

Interesting that both Williams and Brown have had significant injuries after going through a platoon system in Auburn together.
Old 08-19-2008   #15
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Ronnie Brown is a brutal running back, a perfect complement to Slaton.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #16
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Trade for a RB that is in year 4 of a 5 year contract after coming off a knee injury? No thanks.

Interesting that both Williams and Brown have had significant injuries after going through a platoon system in Auburn together.
You can't control what the knee do...
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #17
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post

Exactly, a guy that comes in that hasn't played a full NFL season in several years now that has had his own injury issues and drug problems beats out a guy that was having a really good year before he got injured last year????

Sounds like damaged goods to me as well. We already have a lot of those.
Not to down what your saying, but....Ricky Williams if he had his head on straight for his entire career would've been one of the alltime greats. If he's focused right now (even at this stage of his career) I could see how he could beat out a healthy Reggie Brown. (and no, I don't think Reggie Brown is healthy...I agree with you that there's something wrong with him right now) he's one of those guys that just makes you shake your head at the way he wasted all that great talent. Hell I still wouldn't be surprised if Ricky came in and was one of the best backs in the NFL through 6 or 7 games........then I wouldn't be surprised if he flunked a piss test in week 8. As a general sports fans that likes to watch great players it's so sad what that guy did to his career.

What's even sadder is when you see players like David Anderson who weren't blessed with the god given talent of a "Ricky Williams", but none the less they have to work their ass off......too bad you couldn't put a David Anderson like drive with a Ricky Williams' like talent, but I guess that's what makes the alltime greats.

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 08-19-2008 at 02:30 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #18
JayCee
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 JayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden cover

from profootballtalk.com
Quote:
END OF ROAD FOR RONNIE BROWN?
Posted by Mike Florio on August 18, 2008, 10:49 p.m.

At a time when the new regime in Miami is thinking about throwing overboard a second-round pick from 2007, could they also be contemplating parting ways with the No. 2 overall pick from the 2005 draft?

Per Chris Mortensen of ESPN (via Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald), it’s possible that Fins tailback Ronnie Brown could be playing elsewhere in 2008.

Mort says that Brown has been “struggling” in the preseason. Meanwhile, Ricky Williams has been looking like he’s poised for a late-career rebirth.

Brown is due to earn a base salary of $3.65 million in 2008. Williams is scheduled to earn only $730,000.

If the Fins move Brown, it’s the surest sign of Bill Parcells’ intention to turn the organization upside down. And, frankly, it’s exactly what the organization needed.
JayCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

That "whatever" attitude that Williams has toward football (and probably everything else in life) is exactly what marijuana does to the brain.

HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #20
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Ronnie Brown is a brutal running back, a perfect complement to Slaton.
If he was 100% healthy I'd agree with you but as others have already said , we have enough damaged goods at the RB spot as it is . I'm content to ride out the season with what we have now and maybe look to find a good back in next years draft ....

I'd rather build from within and save my salary cap , trade and FA bullets until the team is poised to make a serious run at winning it all. They may make the play-offs this season but I think its next season or the following that they are serious contenders to reach / win a Superbowl.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read