Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-19-2008   #21
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Roster Predictions after game 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I don't think you skimp on your long-snapper. I'm pretty sure he needs to be a guy that concentrates on that all season. And, you don't want him playing outside of ST, increasing the chances of injury. Dressen can do it in a pinch, which is great... But, no way they go into the season without a specialty deep snapper like Pittman.
Amen!
I never saw Dreesen practicing long snapping at T/C - granted, I could have missed it - but I know I saw Zgonina practicing at LS during FG drills.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #22
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Do we really need 4 TEs? And, do we really need 10 OL?
I don't think we need 4 TE and, if it were up to me, we'd only keep three. But, I'm under the impression that our system likes a number of TE. What did we roll out with at the beginning of last season? OD, Bruener, Putzier? Did we also carry Dreesen or was his a mid season add?

I'd be fine with dropping to 3 TE and adding a third QB or an extra DB.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #23
The Dude Abides
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39 The Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respected

There might be some errors, but this is my roster. two games to go though so this could easily change. The practice squad list, take likely, as I don't know who is eligible

First on the offensive side of the ball:

QB - Matt Schaub, Sage Rosenfels
(Cut - Shane Boyd) (PS - Alex Brink)

While I think it's possible the Texans carry three quarterbacks, the roster limits right now works against the Texans doing so. The next two preseason games (namely the last one) will determine who stays and who goes.

FB - Vonta Leach
Cut (Jameel Cook)
With the option of Chris Taylor as a dual back, Cook gets the hook in favor of a player who can play two positions. The only thing that may save Cook at this time is the ability to play special teams.

RB - Ahman Green, Chris Brown, Steve Slaton, Chris Taylor
(Cut - Marcel Shipp) (PS - Darius Walker)
Walker probably won't make it through waivers to make it to the Texans Practice Squad so he may stick on the roster. As of right now, he's gone to the squad. Chris Brown and Chris Taylor could be on the outside looking in. Ahman Green, if it determines he can't stay healthy, will be gone too. Steve Slaton is the only running back on the roster with a lock on a roster spot.

WR - Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter, Andre Davis, David Anderson, Jacoby Jones, Harry Williams (Cut - Tim Carter, Leron McCoy, Darnell Jenkins, Mark Simmons)
While some of these cuts may have PS eligibility, I'm unsure at this time. As for the remaining receivers on the team, this is by far the position with the most depth on the roster. Harry Williams could be cut, and will have no impact on the receiver position, Kubiak loves him on Special Teams so he makes the cut. Jacoby Jones, while continuing to fumble, looks like he will still make the team because of his talent. The other 4 are locks. Some ask who David Anderson is and he is the 7th round pick from Colorado St. (with an awesome mullet I might add) who has made impressive catches throughout the preseason and Kubiak will be looking to add him in three receiver sets.

TE - Owen Daniels, Joel Dressen, Mark Bruener
(Practice Squad - Ryan Krause)
Not really a question of who makes the squad here. Bruener is a great blocker and team leader. While Krause has supposedly shown glimpses in practice, it isn't enough to overtake Bruener for a roster spot. Daniels and Dressen are the surefire 1 and 2 options at the position at this time when it comes to pass catching. Daniels has a chance to battle for a Pro Bowl Spot in the tight end heavy AFC (Winslow, Gates, Gonzales)

OL - Duane Brown, Chester Pitts, Chris Myers, Mike Briesel, Eric Winston, Rashad Butler, Chris White, Kasey Studdard, Ephraim Salaam
(Cut - Torrin Tucker, Cliff Washburn, Mark Fenton, Greg Eslinger, Brandon Frye)

The offensive line may take 9-10 spots on the roster and with my cuts, the Texans decide to take 9. Salaam, depending on how long he recovers from his recent surgery may make to the PUP list (I doubt it) and the other guys look pretty assured of a spot at this time. While one of the other lineman may sneak in, at this point I doubt it with the Texans taking 6 receivers.

Total Spots: 25

Special Teams:
Punter - Matt Turk
Kicker - Kris Brown
LS - Bryan Pittman

Total Spots: 3

Defense:

DL - Mario Williams, Travis Johnson, Amobi Okoye, Anthony Weaver, Earl Cochran, Roosevelt Colvin, Anthony Maddox, Jeff Zgonina, Frank Okam,
(Cut & Practice Squad - Jesse Nading, Gabe Long, Tim Bulman, DeIJuan Robinson)

This is one of the tougher positions on the team to figure out how the Texans will decide to seperate the cuts and active spots. Frank Okam, Jegg Zgonina, and Anthony Maddox could switch spots with DeIjuan Robinson, and since I'm not at all the practices to see who is beating who, it's hard to say. Robinson stands an outside chance. I see Robinson ending up on the practice squad. Tim Bulman may end up on the roster depending on who they decide to designate to the PS

Total Players: 10

LB - Demeco Ryans, Morlon Greenwood, Zac Diles, Xavier Adibi, Chaun Thompson, Kevin Bentley
(Cut - Ben Moffitt, Kevis Coley)
While Coley may sneak onto the roster, I still feel that these are the six linebackers we'll see come opening day. A couple of the guys have been banged up, but I just don't see any of these guys not moving forward with the team.

Total Players: 6

CB - Fred Bennett, Jacques Reeves, Antwaun Molden, Jamar Fletcher, Demarcus Faggins
(Cut - Derrick Roberson, Dexter Wynn)
Out of this group, I would love to see Faggins cut, Molden starting and Roberson not get cut. However, I don't see that happening at the beginning of the season. The Texans can only hope Dunta Robinson comes back 100% healthy but at this time, the opposing CB position from Fred Bennett is going to be the weak spot, possibly the worst on the team.

Total Players: 5

Safeties - C.C. Brown, Will Demps, Glenn Earl, Nick Ferguson, Brandon Harrison
(Practice Squad - Dominique Barber)
Harrison and Barber could easily switch spots at this time, but it's truly a toss up which is why Harrison makes the team as a rangy safety. Even though he missed last season with an injury, he can make the quickest impact between the two players. They both might make the squad.

Total Players: 5

Total Defensive Players: 26

Total Roster: 53 players

Last edited by The Dude Abides; 08-19-2008 at 10:01 PM.
The Dude Abides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #24
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would rather keep Zgonia as a backup DT and potential LS than keep Bryan Pittman. If Zgonia can do it, why not save a roster spot?
Old 08-19-2008   #25
The Dude Abides
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39 The Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respected

nvm

Last edited by The Dude Abides; 08-19-2008 at 10:01 PM.
The Dude Abides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #26
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, I can't believe I forgot Anthony Maddox. No way he gets cut.
Old 08-19-2008   #27
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I would rather keep Zgonia as a backup DT and potential LS than keep Bryan Pittman. If Zgonia can do it, why not save a roster spot?
Tony Romo can hold for FGs too, why not save a roster spot?
Old 08-20-2008   #28
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Everyone who wants to save a roster spot by cutting Pittman needs to get a grip! It aint happening! The LS position is a specialty position like Kicker or Punter. It's OK to have a backup LS play another position and play LS in a pinch, but it's too critical of a position to have that guy be your regular LS. You run too big of a risk of losing them to injury playing their primary position. I know it stinks having a player who may only play a few snaps a game taking up a roster spot, but Pittman is an expert at what he does. I think he's only blown 1 long snap (last year at SD) in his whole Texan career. We're going to keep him. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #29
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, we could cut Pittman and Zgonina, and then we could keep Cook and Kraus!

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #30
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad there is one more game before the roster has to be trimmed to 75, although that shouldn't be too hard.
  1. FB Jameel Cook
  2. LB Ben Moffit
  3. DL Jesse Nading
  4. OL Cliff Washburn
  5. WR Darnell Jenkins

from 75 to 53 is the ***** (18)
  1. DL Gabe Long
  2. OL Torrin Tucker
  3. OL Mark Fenton
  4. TE Ryan Krause
  5. WR Tim Carter
  6. RB Marcel Shipp
  7. QB Shane Boyd
  8. SS Brandon Harrison
  9. CB DeMarcus Faggins
  10. LB Kevin Bentley
  11. DL Jeff Zgonina
  12. OL Greg Eslinger
  13. RB Darius Walker
  14. OL Scott Jackson
  15. WR Leron McCoy
  16. DL Anthony Weaver
  17. TE Mark Brunner
  18. CB Dexter Wynn

practice squad -
  1. WR Mark Simmons
  2. DL DeJuan Robinson
  3. OL Brandon Frye
  4. QB Alex Brink
  5. RB Chris Taylor
  6. ST Harry Williams
  7. CB Derrick Roberson
  8. FS Dominique Barber

I swear RB Ahman Green is like a cat with 9 lives, Cook just gave him another

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 08-21-2008 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Cook arrested/added to first roster cuts
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #31
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14067 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Meh the NFL should give a roster exemption for long snappers then. More Jobs, it will stimulate the economy.
Old 08-23-2008   #32
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
2QB: Schaub, Rosenfels
3RB: Brown, Slaton, Walker
2FB: Leach, Taylor
4TE: Daniels, Dreesen, Bruener, Krause
6WR: Johnson, Walter, Davis, Anderson, Jones, Williams
10OL: Brown, Pitts, Meyers, Brisiel, Winston, Butler, Studdard, White, Frye, Salaam

1K: Brown
1P: Turk
1LS: Pittman

8DL: Williams, Okoye, Johnson, Cochran, Okam, Kalu, Bulman, Robinson
6LB: Diles, Ryans, Greenwood, Bentley, Thompson, Adibi
5CB: Bennett, Reeves, Fletcher, Molden, Roberson
4S: Demps, Brown, Earl, Ferguson
I'd like to ammend my list.

2QB: Schaub, Rosenfels
4RB: Brown, Slaton, Walker, Taylor
1FB: Leach
4TE: Daniels, Dreesen, Bruener
5WR: Johnson, Walter, Davis, Anderson, Jones
10OL: Brown, Pitts, Meyers, Brisiel, Winston, Butler, Studdard, White, Frye, Salaam

1K: Brown
1P: Turk
1LS: Pittman

8DL: Williams, Okoye, Johnson, Cochran, Okam, Kalu, Bulman, Robinson
6LB: Diles, Ryans, Greenwood, Bentley, Thompson, Adibi
5CB: Bennett, Reeves, Fletcher, Molden, Faggins
5S: Demps, Brown, Earl, Ferguson, Harrison

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read