Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-18-2008   #1
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Roster Predictions after game 2

I thought I'd go ahead and start a roster thread for this week. We've got a bit more insite after week two. There has been a definitive stir up at WR after Jacoby's contrasting performance to David Anderson. Butler seems to have staked his claim as the swing tackle. Where does this leave Salaam? Slaton has demanded playing time with the 1's and Green's inability to play ads even more questions not to mention some so-so play by Brown and Taylor. Walker didn't even get onto the field so the questions continue.

On the defensive side, all the excitement over Bulman has cooled as we watch him come off the line a second after everyone else. (ironic that he has our only sack thus far) Ol' man ND has made the biggest push as a pass rusher, Weaver is -sigh- just Weaver entrenched in mediocrity. All these mystery backup DL's are going to be hard to shake out. Backup LB's is a complete mystery as well. Colvin looks out to pasture, Thompson is finally getting healthy but he's hard to judge. Kubiak says he's still not %100. Adibi has been hurt and hasn't showed much. I don't see the young draft picks being too difficult to figure as they are investments but the veteran questions as well as the undrafted or late drafted standouts are where all the confusion lies.

All that said, here's my best stab at 53:

3QB: Schaub, Rosenfels, Boyd
4RB: Green, Brown, Slayton, Taylor
1FB: Leach
4TE: Daniels, Dreesen, Bruener or Krause
6WR: Johnson, Walter, Davis, Anderson, Jones, Williams
9OL: Brown, Pitts, Meyers, Brisiel, Winston, Butler, Studdard, White, Frye

1K: Brown
1P: Turk
1LS: Pittman

8DL: Williams, Okoye, Johnson, Weaver, Cochran, Okam, Kalu, Robinson
6LB: Diles, Ryans, Greenwood, Thompson, Bently, Adibi (i'm cutting colvin)
5CB: Bennett, Reeves, Fletcher, Molden, Faggins
4S: Demps, Brown, Earl, Ferguson

PUP: Robinson
IR: Weary
PS: Barber, Harrison, Roberson, Nading, Coley, Brink, Walker & McCoy
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #2
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Roster Predictions after game 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I thought I'd go ahead and start a roster thread for this week. We've got a bit more insite after week two. There has been a definitive stir up at WR after Jacoby's contrasting performance to David Anderson. Butler seems to have staked his claim as the swing tackle. Where does this leave Salaam? Slaton has demanded playing time with the 1's and Green's inability to play ads even more questions not to mention some so-so play by Brown and Taylor. Walker didn't even get onto the field so the questions continue.

On the defensive side, all the excitement over Bulman has cooled as we watch him come off the line a second after everyone else. (ironic that he has our only sack thus far) Ol' man ND has made the biggest push as a pass rusher, Weaver is -sigh- just Weaver entrenched in mediocrity. All these mystery backup DL's are going to be hard to shake out. Backup LB's is a complete mystery as well. Colvin looks out to pasture, Thompson is finally getting healthy but he's hard to judge. Kubiak says he's still not %100. Adibi has been hurt and hasn't showed much. I don't see the young draft picks being too difficult to figure as they are investments but the veteran questions as well as the undrafted or late drafted standouts are where all the confusion lies.

All that said, here's my best stab at 53:

4RB: Green, Brown, Slayton, Taylor
4TE: Daniels, Dreesen, Bruener or Krause
9OL: Brown, Pitts, Meyers, Brisiel, Winston, Butler, Studdard, White, Frye

6LB: Diles, Ryans, Greenwood, Thompson, Bently, Adibi (i'm cutting colvin)

PS: Barber, Harrison, Roberson, Nading, Coley, Brink, Walker & McCoy

I'm pretty much in agreement with you except I think Harrison has to make the team at Safety- they need a speed and cover guy. I gotta believe we keep 5 WRs. Either Jacoby is gone, someone gets injured, or Harry goes to P.S.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I know there's only a limited number of spots but I think they'll fight their hardest to find spots for Colvin, Bulman, and maybe Walker. Who I would switch them with?

That's a good list though, there's going to be some tough cuts this year.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #4
pittbull3
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 pittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden cover

I like your roster. I would think they will eventually go with 2 Qb's. That will open a roster sport for someone. Most likely Salaam, even though I don't feel we need him at this point. Butler is putting in work and so is Frye on the right side.
pittbull3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #5
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I know there's only a limited number of spots but I think they'll fight their hardest to find spots for Colvin, Bulman, and maybe Walker. Who I would switch them with?

That's a good list though, there's going to be some tough cuts this year.
based on what i've seen from both Bulman and Colvin... I don't see it. Bulman is consistently late off the line, colvin is sort of trotting around out there... maybe I'm missing something but I don't see those guys making the team. I know we were all super excited when we signed Colvin but I ask you, what have you seen that suggests that he's making any kind of impact.

As for Walker, he didn't even get on the field last week.
Old 08-18-2008   #6
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

4RB: Walker, Slayton, Taylor, Shipp
3TE: Daniels, Dreesen, Bruener
6WR: Johnson, Walter, Davis, Anderson, Jones, Simmons
10OL: Brown, Pitts, Meyers, Brisiel, Winston, Butler, Studdard, White, Frye, Salaam

6LB: Diles, Ryans, Greenwood, Thompson, Bently, Adibi

PS: Barber, Harrison, Roberson, Nading, Coley, McCoy, Williams, Brink(maybe?)

The people in Red are the ones I'd put inactive each game (barring injury), the ones in purple are "choose from" for inactive duty.
Old 08-18-2008   #7
barrett
Hall of Fame

i'm not seeing simmons either. anyone that far down on the depth chart has to contribute on ST and he's not that guy. and how on earth does shipp make this team? you hate the glass backs huh?
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2008   #8
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

The competition at WR and on the OL is going to make this season's cuts tough. If we carry 6 WRs or 10 OL we lose some depth on defense. Even moreso if we carry both 6 WRs and 10 OL. There will be some tough cuts made, even moreso if we pick up someone from another team after their cutdowns.
Old 08-18-2008   #9
barrett
Hall of Fame

i'd say it'll be 6WR OR 10 OL but not both.

p.s. Kubiak reassured me today on 610 that Jones will probably stay in the mix so that tells me that it's 6WR as opposed to 10OL
Old 08-18-2008   #10
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i'm not seeing simmons either. anyone that far down on the depth chart has to contribute on ST and he's not that guy. and how on earth does shipp make this team? you hate the glass backs huh?
Glass can't play if they're broken. Williams has looked great on kickoffs, but he's not the only one who can do kickoffs, I kept Simmons over Williams because he could probably do kickoff coverage too (Jacoby will also probably have to kickoff coverage as well). I forgot to mention on my roster, Dreesen is the longsnapper, I'm pretty sure he took some reps in camp there. I've got everyone doubled up on defense (pre-inactives that is), and I took 3 inactives from the D and 3 from the O. Only ran with 3 TEs, we'll probably sub in Butler as an elligible reciever on some Goalline Packages. Also, on a recount I only have 52 players ... maybe add Harrison or Roberson on defense, that'll make 27 on offense, 24 on defense, 2 kickers.

Last edited by Brandon420tx; 08-18-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Brandon420tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #11
barrett
Hall of Fame

i won't debate those depth theories but i just don't see Shipp over either of the glass backs... it just doesn't make sense.
Old 08-18-2008   #12
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Quote:
i won't debate those depth theories but i just don't see Shipp over either of the glass backs... it just doesn't make sense.
Its more Walker over the glass backs, then anything to do with Shipp, other then I'm interested, and in blind faith I'm calling him to make the team. :p
Old 08-18-2008   #13
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

bulman is getting cut, and colvin is making the cut.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #14
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

2QB: Schaub, Rosenfels
3RB: Brown, Slaton, Walker
2FB: Leach, Taylor
4TE: Daniels, Dreesen, Bruener, Krause
10OL: Brown, Pitts, Meyers, Brisiel, Winston, Butler, Studdard, White, Frye, Salaam

8DL: Williams, Okoye, Johnson, Cochran, Okam, Kalu, Bulman, Robinson
6LB: Diles, Ryans, Greenwood, Bentley, Thompson, Adibi
5CB: Bennett, Reeves, Fletcher, Molden, Roberson

Last edited by nero THE zero; 08-18-2008 at 10:45 PM.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #15
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't see the two spots being related.

I think the decision to be made is 6 WR or 6 CB (or 5 S.) I think the last spot is a dedicated ST position (gunner) and, given Kubiak's latest comments, I don't see how anyone but Williams wins that position. Of course, that can change over the next couple of weeks. But, I don't think it does

I think the decision between 9 or 10 OL is totally independent of the aforementioned decision. And, given our injury history, I think 10 OL is almost a lock. The only way I think they try and get by with 9 OL is if they feel they can slip someone like Studdard or Frye onto the PS.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #16
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
2QB: Schaub, Rosenfels
3RB: Brown, Slaton, Walker
2FB: Leach, Taylor
4TE: Daniels, Dreesen, Bruener, Krause

8DL: Williams, Okoye, Johnson, Cochran, Okam, Kalu, Bulman, Robinson
6LB: Diles, Ryans, Greenwood, Bentley, Thompson, Adibi
5CB: Bennett, Reeves, Fletcher, Molden, Roberson
Do we really need 4 TEs? And, do we really need 10 OL?

Seems to me it would be beneficial to keep a 3rd QB and/or another safety like Harrison or Barber, and/or another DL like Colvin or Maddox.

With as much specialty that happens on defense, I'd hate to hamstring the defense just to be extra deep at TE... Besides, if we keep 10 linemen, what does Bruener do for us? Butler and Frye are both more nimble, athletic, and probably faster than he is at this point.
Old 08-18-2008   #17
Brandon420tx
Flounder

We can keep 10 OL, and 6 WRs, Just need to drop Pittman (Dreesen can longsnap ... right?) and carry 3 TEs, (or 2 and just have one of extra lineman come in as an elligible receiver on goalline). Would also free up 1-2 spots for the defense.
Old 08-18-2008   #18
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
We can keep 10 OL, and 6 WRs, Just need to drop Pittman (Dreesen can longsnap ... right?) and carry 3 TEs, (or 2 and just have one of extra lineman come in as an elligible receiver on goalline). Would also free up 1-2 spots for the defense.
I don't think you skimp on your long-snapper. I'm pretty sure he needs to be a guy that concentrates on that all season. And, you don't want him playing outside of ST, increasing the chances of injury. Dressen can do it in a pinch, which is great... But, no way they go into the season without a specialty deep snapper like Pittman.
Old 08-18-2008   #19
KEYE SUX
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 KEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVP

Quote:

As for Walker, he didn't even get on the field last week.
I only saw Green on the sidelines saying he wasn't sure when he is coming back and that its a part of the game. I sure hope he at least dignifies us with wearing a mask and pointing a gun when he picks up his paycheck
KEYE SUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #20
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

p.s. Kubiak reassured me today on 610 that Jones will probably stay in the mix so that tells me that it's 6WR as opposed to 10OL
I don't think they'll keep 4 TEs. I don't think they did last year and since Miller left that's not been an injury plagued position [knock on wood]
That's where your #6 WR or #10 OL guy comes from.
I still believe that we'll keep 3 QBs. I believe Kubiak is grooming Boyd to be the backup when we deal Sage next year.
just my
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read