Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2008   #101
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
He wasn't offered anything, by any body..... the Falcons placed the tender on him.
The year before, there were reports that two teams made full 1st and 3rd offers for Schaub even before he became an RFA. There was also another team in the mix when the Texans acquired Schaub but I do not recall any reports of what their offer was.
Old 08-20-2008   #102
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The year before, there were reports that two teams made full 1st and 3rd offers for Schaub even before he became an RFA. There was also another team in the mix when the Texans acquired Schaub but I do not recall any reports of what their offer was.
I remember that as well, but once Schaub was available, he sat for like two weeks(right??) before anyone made any offer....

And then the year before, the talking heads were talking like he was the best thing since sliced bread, any team should go after him, He was actually a better prospect than Vince Young, Matt Lienart, & Jay Cutler..... yada, yada, yada.

Then as soon as we go get him, "WTF were they thinking??"

But that's a different story.
Old 08-20-2008   #103
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I remember that as well, but once Schaub was available, he sat for like two weeks(right??) before anyone made any offer....

And then the year before, the talking heads were talking like he was the best thing since sliced bread, any team should go after him, He was actually a better prospect than Vince Young, Matt Lienart, & Jay Cutler..... yada, yada, yada.

Then as soon as we go get him, "WTF were they thinking??"

But that's a different story.
Value is subjective. I think Kubiak and Smith are thrilled with the price. I know I am... As far as I'm concerned, those are the three people that matter most.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #104
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I think it was the Raiders before they were set on drafting Russell but I could be mistaken. I don't remember if any of the offers were reported.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!

Last edited by Brando; 08-20-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #105
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Chomp Chomp Chomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Some Texans fans can come across inequivocally confident in their thought process [See LINK]:shots:
Wow....
I hope I never meet that kid face-to-face. I'm not sure I'd ever stop laughing.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #106
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Some Texans fans can come across inequivocally confident in their thought process [See LINK]:shots:
I think we found johnsonfan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonfan
The Houston Texans! I just don't think he's a starter. Sage Rosenfels is not going to get the job done. Matt Scahub is not the answer.dang i am freaking out right now, so i am sitting playing madden 08 and all of a sudden a cockroach comes out form under my bed and goes behind my cabinet! omg lol i dont knowwhat to do i cant see it its to dark now and ok what i need to know is if there is one does it mean there are more cause i have never seen any? and how do i get rid of them or it? thanks

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #107
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

It's me-I know, I'm missing something. Matt completed 88.9% of his passes against NO-- missing 2 and 1 was dropped. His YPA was 10, his YPC even more....but some are complaining about his ball placement.

Did I mention he threw 2 tds and 0 interceptions and was not sacked and had good YAC, and- ----- had a qb rating over 150!!!!!!!!!!!

.....but, he had 'BAD' ball placement????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...geeeeezzzzzz zzzzzzz
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-20-2008   #108
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Who would've guessed this thread would turn into another Schaub vs Sage debate??

Old 08-20-2008   #109
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip View Post
It's me-I know, I'm missing something. Matt completed 88.9% of his passes against NO-- missing 2 and 1 was dropped. His YPA was 10, his YPC even more....but some are complaining about his ball placement.

Did I mention he threw 2 tds and 0 interceptions and was not sacked and had good YAC, and- ----- had a qb rating over 150!!!!!!!!!!!

.....but, he had 'BAD' ball placement????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...geeeeezzzzzz zzzzzzz
One was dropped. The other incompletion was intentional: we had called a screen, but the linebacker was all over the RB. With three linemen bearing down on him, Matt threw it at the covered RB's feet to avoid the grounding call. There was no other way to salvage that play.

On one of the completions, Matt did underthrow Davis a little (I believe he was getting heat up the middle), but Andre made a nice adjustment for the reception. Everything else was right on target.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #110
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

Schaub was very impressive against the Saints we should all agree. What I dont understand is the need to belittle Sage in order to cement Matt's place as the starter. Sage has proven so many times that he can help this team win when given the chance. Even if Matt is the better option to start, bottom line is that the Texans have two competent quarterbacks both capable of starting and winning games.
Old 08-20-2008   #111
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Last year, there was not one catch, not one throw that matches your description, and in the last two preseason games, he's thrown nothing but hitches & crossing patterns.

Not once hitting anyone in stride. I'll go back and watch the game again, I could be wrong. But the things you mention, are the things I'm looking for, and I'm not seeing.

That first sentence tells me you didn't watch very many games last year. And that out route to Davis, uh yeah the pocket was collapsing pretty fast on that one and he almost had to throw it off his back foot. And what about the TD pass to Walter, or the crossing patter to Walter (that was the very definition of hitting someone in stride).

Last edited by ReliantTexan; 08-20-2008 at 05:13 PM.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #112
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr PC View Post
Schaub was very impressive against the Saints we should all agree. What I dont understand is the need to belittle Sage in order to cement Matt's place as the starter. Sage has proven so many times that he can help this team win when given the chance. Even if Matt is the better option to start, bottom line is that the Texans have two competent quarterbacks both capable of starting and winning games.
It's the nature of a QB controversy (or any argument). The "start Sage" crowd is certainly not reticent about dissecting any shortcoming that Schaub may show. If Matt's issues are fair game, then so are Sage's. Of course, every aspect of every Texan's play is fair game on a Texan message board.

As the driver of the Schaub bandwagon, my position on Sage is this: he is one of the better backup QBs in the league--he's an ideal fit for our #2. But he is not as good as our starter. Nonetheless, until our starter proves he can get through the season, we will need a quality backup like Sage who is ready to go.

Nobody here dislikes Sage. Even those who suggest trading him see it more in terms of what we'd gain in draft picks.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #113
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He hasn't done anything in the last two preseason games, that trumps that highlight clip.

Meh throwing for 187 and 2TDs in only a quarter and a half. He must be doing something right. lol
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #114
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93773 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Wow....
I hope I never meet that kid face-to-face. I'm not sure I'd ever stop laughing.
ever see starwars kid

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #115
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
ever see starwars kid
I think so.....
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #116
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93773 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

dunno what happened. But I'll have to fix and reply later thunder

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #117
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 140315 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Texan Mike I didn't take your comment as an attack...several other people were in my face at the same time you were. Besides I never take stuff in here personally.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #118
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip View Post

I've seen this ball placement argument and its a nonsense argument. The Texans passing offense is as good as anyone's right now. If Schaub was not accurate the team wouldn't be so efficient passing.

Quote:
Heading into Friday's game against Dallas, the Texans rank first in the NFL in third down efficiency at 59.3 percent, first in completion percentage at 78.0 and first in quarterback rating at 126.7.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4537

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #119
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub is getting accolades for his performance against the Girls.......but I would have to say that it certainly wasn't consistent. There were times that he seemed rattled. As soon as the rush came in quickly and there was a defender within 3 feet, it appeared that he found the need to get rid of the ball. On the other hand, I would challenge anyone to review the game and not see that Sage, not atypically was surrounded with defenders (sometimes he seemed to disappear within the myriad of defenders), remained calm, took one step out the pocket and found his target. Also, I don't buy the fact that Sage is not a mobile QB. He is the wiley QB that will use his mobility, but only when necessary and fully advantageous.

Another thing that bothered me last night was that on many 3rd downs, whether short or long to go, Schaub was in the "shotgun." Sage remained under center throughout most of the 3rd down plays. This may very well linked to the "rattled" factor I mentioned above. But for whatever the reason, once you use the "shotgun" routinely in 3rd down situations, you are basically removing the run option to the defense. This will allow for focused concentration of the defenses' attack on the limited offensive options ........and this will eventually work against you.

You can always say that Sage was working against the 2nd team defense which was a weaker defense, but you would also have to say that he wasn't playing with the 1st team offense. This is not just a little unimportant factor........theoretically better more reliable receivers and RBs (eg., Slaton), and better protection from a stronger defense.

The argument of "separation" has not been settled in my mind.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 08-23-2008 at 09:32 AM.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read