Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-18-2008   #41
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Chomp Chomp Chomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Are you really going to stand behind your statement that a receiver should catch a ball every time it hits their hands?:

How about:

1. I stand 1 yard from you and throw a ball as hard as I can into your hands- sure it breaks your fingers and you didn't have time to react, but, "the ball hit your hands and then hit the ground".

2. As a receiver leaps for a ball and grabs it with both hands, a 260 lb linebacker slams him face mask to face mask into a safety on the back side who slaps the ball from his outstretched hands. "The ball hit his hands and then hit the ground" so I guess he should have caught it?

Of course their are exceptions to that elementary rule of yours. Among thos exceptions would be when a ball's flight path and speed are altered right in front of you.

I assume you've never played football at a high level- particlulary receiver... It's quite different than standing around playing catch in the street. The speed of the game dramatically changes the experience and fans look pretty foolish when they make over-simplified critiques like "it hit his hands so he should have caught it". Trying running full speed between defenders also running full speed and catching a ball coming at you at 70 mph, only to have it deflected off course and decreased to 40 mph 5 yards in front of you.
OMG! Dude, get over yourself.

I've played plenty of football thank you very little. If you'd like to know how long, do a search.

IMO, the ball should've been caught. If you don't agree....fine, I don't give a damn....move along .
Old 08-18-2008   #42
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
I thought Schaub clearly demonstrated himself to be one of the better quarterbacks in the league at the start of last season ... before everyone started dropping like flies.
I agree with you to a certain extent. He did come out swinging, but he seemed to fall apart around the goalline. Hopefully that will go away. I mean, I'm all for Kris Brown and special teams, but I'm more all for scoring touchdowns instead of field goals.
Old 08-18-2008   #43
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 51708 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

So, if a Ravens fan has to eat crow, are they cannibals?
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #44
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102688 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post

Good question..........
Old 08-18-2008   #45
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nope

I am not throwing Sage under the bus, I believe he can start for any team in the NFL. I am simply eating my crow when I was saying that Sage should have the starting job here against Matt. I am thrilled that we have Sage as a backup and I look foreward to Matt finishing the season healthy. I do know he is still unproven but his play against the aints was exactly what we have never seen as a texan fan watching our QB.
My Idea of a QB contraversey is quashed. Matt is the Starting QB and he deserves to be there.
Old 08-18-2008   #46
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102688 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
My Idea of a QB contraversey is quashed. Matt is the Starting QB and he deserves to be there.
Holy jumped up balded headed Jesus palamino......
Old 08-18-2008   #47
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
and it's a drop anytime it hits your hands and you don't catch it".
I diagree. If a pass hits you in the numbers and you don't catch it, technichally it is a "Drop" . Now I can understand if he was hit right as the ball got their or he had to fully extend and the ball was on his fingertips (I wouldn't expect him to make the catch),but neither are the case. IMO, he should have caught that ball, I've seen him make catches alot tougher than that. But I know he can't make great catches every play.

Last edited by ReliantTexan; 08-18-2008 at 06:12 PM.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2008   #48
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Rep to anyone who admits to being wrong. One game doesn't prove it but that was a heck of a game.
Herv,Herv Herv .. I got a thread for ya

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...ighlight=wrong
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #49
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Rep to anyone who admits to being wrong. One game doesn't prove it but that was a heck of a game.

I STILL support Rosenfels. Schaub had a great game, but lets me honest here. He's NOT a bad QB by any stretch of the imagination. I just think that Sage is the superior QB because:

1. Sage can take a hit better than Schaub.

2. Sage seems a bit quicker from the pocket.

3. Both men were CAREER backups until they made it to Houston. Rosenfels backed up Carr, Schaub backed up Vick but face it they were BOTH career back ups.

Personally I think the starting position is still in the air. One great performance does NOT a starter make especially if that one game is a PRESEASON game.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #50
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
Nope

I am not throwing Sage under the bus, I believe he can start for any team in the NFL. I am simply eating my crow when I was saying that Sage should have the starting job here against Matt. I am thrilled that we have Sage as a backup and I look foreward to Matt finishing the season healthy. I do know he is still unproven but his play against the aints was exactly what we have never seen as a texan fan watching our QB.
Any team? Nah. Maybe a couple though (Raiders, Bears, those types of teams). But you're right, Matt is clearly the better QB and definitely should be the starter.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #51
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
OMG! Dude, get over yourself.

I've played plenty of football thank you very little. If you'd like to know how long, do a search.

IMO, the ball should've been caught. If you don't agree....fine, I don't give a damn....move along .
In your defense...I've seen Ernest Givens make catches KNOWING he was about to get obliterated by DB's and safeties twice his size. He played without fear and most of the time if it was near his hands...he made the catch. Likewise, Steve Largent was so reliable that you could almost set a watch by him and lest we not forget Mr. Jerry Rice.
You know I remember one game which has made dozens of high light reels where the Raiders were playing the Vikings. A Vikings' receiver made a catch and 1/4th of a second later he was hit so hard by two Raiders that his helmet popped off like the cork on a champagne bottle and he was knocked unconscious. AMAZINGLY....he held on to the football.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #52
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
I STILL support Rosenfels. Schaub had a great game, but lets me honest here. He's NOT a bad QB by any stretch of the imagination. I just think that Sage is the superior QB because:

1. Sage can take a hit better than Schaub.

2. Sage seems a bit quicker from the pocket.

3. Both men were CAREER backups until they made it to Houston. Rosenfels backed up Carr, Schaub backed up Vick but face it they were BOTH career back ups.

Personally I think the starting position is still in the air. One great performance does NOT a starter make especially if that one game is a PRESEASON game.
How you can watch the two QBs and come to that conclusion is beyond understanding...

Now, regarding taking a hit, that's a different story. However, a decision on that doesn't need to be made until after 2009. Until then, both Qbs are signed and no decisions regarding their contracts need be made. So, who cares who can take a hit better: Play the better QB until he gets hurt... then, play Rosenfels.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #53
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Wait, wasn't Sage injured behind Carr? He was out a few weeks I think. Also, Schaub is not a career backup. Schaub is in his second year as an NFL starter. Has Sage ever been a starter going into a season? Doubt it. Have teams tried desperately to sign Sage as their starting team QB (like for Schaub)? Doubt it. I'm glad the Falcons accepted the Texans' deal. Schaub is clearly better than Sage.
Old 08-19-2008   #54
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Wait, wasn't Sage injured behind Carr? He was out a few weeks I think. Also, Schaub is not a career backup. Schaub is in his second year as an NFL starter. Has Sage ever been a starter going into a season? Doubt it. Have teams tried desperately to sign Sage as their starting team QB (like for Schaub)? Doubt it. I'm glad the Falcons accepted the Texans' deal. Schaub is clearly better than Sage.
Sage had a broken hand, but still practiced as much as he could, which won over a few of his teammates.

Since we're all eating crow...no, I still refuse. Babin was not a bust and neither is Travis Johnson.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #55
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Babin wasn't necessarily a bust, but we did give up too damn much to get him. Especially considering who was taking around him.
Old 08-19-2008   #56
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Babin wasn't necessarily a bust, but we did give up too damn much to get him. Especially considering who was taking around him.
We gave up too much, but that was Casserly's way of doing things. As a pass rusher, he was probably the best behind Mario, and maybe better during the preseason. I don't know whether he's in the NFL anymore, though.
Old 08-19-2008   #57
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Seems like he's doing well in Seattle
Quote:
"Last year when he came, his hands were all over the place," defensive-line coach Dwaine Board said. "He's done a real good job of taking care of that problem. He's definitely more explosive this year."

Babin took note of Pro Bowl defensive end Patrick Kerney's workout regimen and started training with Kerney. Babin worked more with free weights and added 15 pounds to his frame. Used primarily as a rush linebacker in Houston, Babin built himself into more of a true defensive end body wise to better fit the Seahawks' plans.

"I played defensive end in college, so that's what I truly love, rushing the passer," Babin said. "The biggest thing for me is playing the run."

Babin weighs 269 pounds, and his offseason work is paying off in training camp. His place on the final roster isn't secure — there are six defensive ends in camp and Kerney, Darryl Tapp and rookie Lawrence Jackson are locks to make the team — but Babin is making his case.

"[He] seems to be much better," Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren said. "He had a pretty good first game, and he understands. He's a particular style of player and he has his strengths. He's not a big, bulky guy, but he's fast and he's strong.

"He's much more comfortable, and it shows this year."

Babin, playing with the second unit, had four solo tackles, a sack and a fumble recovery in the Seahawks' exhibition opener at Minnesota. At home against Chicago on Saturday night, he was credited with one tackle and a quarterback hit.

"He's different," said offensive tackle Sean Locklear, who battles Babin in training camp practice. "It's almost good for us because he's explosive off the ball and he knows how to use his hands. He's almost slippery, I guess, at times."
Old 08-19-2008   #58
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
We gave up too much, but that was Casserly's way of doing things. As a pass rusher, he was probably the best behind Mario, and maybe better during the preseason. I don't know whether he's in the NFL anymore, though.
I guess.

I mean, Boulware did the equivalent of my dog for the Texans really. I kind of liked Babin, and think he would be shining (or doing great now) on the opposite side of Mario, and with Amobi in the middle.
Old 08-19-2008   #59
Tex Trenches
Veteran

I thought we were flush out of crow thanks to Mr. Mario Willams.
Old 08-19-2008   #60
KEYE SUX
Veteran

Rep Power: 8 KEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVP

It is too early to eat crow about the QB situation. If Matt continues to get injured this year then ok. Sage would start in less than HALF of the teams in the league. Do I like Sage? YES! Do I like Matt? YES (when healthy and AJ is in lineup) I believe all this talk comes from us wanting Sage to start over CRAP, i mean Carr. We all wanted Sage then and set the bar so high for anyone to take that away. Is a healthy Matt w/a healthy supporting cast, better than Sage in the same scenerio? I think he is. That does not take ANYTHING away from Sage, though. He is one of the best backups in the league. I, for one, am happy to have two GOOD QBs than one GOOD backup on the sideline while the starting QB is in a fetal position on the field, even though there is no pressure around.
KEYE SUX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read