Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-18-2008   #21
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Chomp Chomp Chomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
If Matt produces in every game like he did against the Saints . . . he'll be the greatest QB who ever played. Nobody goes 14-for-16, 183, 2td's all the time (actually, it was 14-for-14 not counting Davis's drop and the throwaway Matt was forced in to when the screen pass was foiled), so I hope that's not the bar you are setting for what Matt has to do to definitively justify the trade and starting over Sage.

As a longtime, long-suffering UVA fan, I like to think of myself as the driver of the Matt Schaub bandwagon. I've been sold on his play since 2002. But what remains to be seen is whether he can survive an NFL season. At some point, the guy who can play all the time should start over the superior but physically-questionable player. Continuity is very important. Yes, the hits that hurt Schaub (apart from the Odom sack) were highly illegal, but we know that gutter-thugs like Albert Haynesworth and Drayton Florence would gladly give the 15 yards to knock Matt out again. Defensive coordinators everywhere would be greatful if they did.

Believe me, when it is time for the doubters to eat their bad-trade/start-Sage crow, I'll be the waiter. But I'm not sure dinner is served quite yet.
A.D. did not drop that pass. A LB tipped the ball. If he's a bit taller or can jump higher, it might have been a pick.
(It's still a good throw by MS.)

It has been MHO that MS is better suited for the WCO than Sage.
However, Sage has proved that he can play under pressure better than Schaub, and that he's more durable up to this point.

I'm glad we have both.
And I'm also glad to watch the battle between Shane and Alex as well.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #22
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I'll wait to call judgement until after the Girls game. If Schaub does separate himself, I still believe that Sage can pick up where Schaub leaves off if he gets injured later in the season. One thing not to forget (no seems to forget this in the hot RB competition discussions), when trying to judge the better of 2 players, you need to also factor in their ability to stay on the field. That ability can offset some minor deficiencies amongst players.
Bingo! ONE good game does not define the season. I've always believed Matt should be #1, but, that was simply because Kubes picked him. I have MADE myself believe in KUBES simply because after six years of living with my head in a hole, I HAVE to believe in something! Hanging on by a thread, and hoping that game against the Saints was only the beginning for Matt.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #23
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Cool that your coming out and saying this but he's going to have to show us during the regular season that he can stay healthy and be a good quarterback. I loved the addition of Schaub and think he's going to do well here and yes... he is better than Sage and he should be our starter over Sage. That's not to say Sage is bad, our offense doesn't miss a beat when he comes in. I love the fact that we have two good qb's who both fit this team really really well.

I also think that the Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson combo is absolutely beautiful. The just seem to click extremely well and when the connect, it's like watching something we've never seen on our team before. I'm not saying Schaub is better than Peyton or Brady... but I'm saying when Schaub and AJ connect for a deep touchdown, it's the best looking combo in the whole league. It's prettier than Brady to Moss or Manning to Wayne... Schaub to AJ is absolutely awesome.

EDIT: Just watch every single play from this. Although some admittedly are of Sage... I just get carried away with how good Andre Johnson is... what were we talking about again!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yho0vrym2b8

If Schaub and AJ are healthy the entire year.... oh man!

Last edited by Ole Miss Texan; 08-18-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #24
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 51708 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
It's like watching something we've never seen on our team before.
That's not a fair comparison to Mr. Mittens...
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #25
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
A.D. did not drop that pass. A LB tipped the ball. If he's a bit taller or can jump higher, it might have been a pick.
(It's still a good throw by MS.)

It has been MHO that MS is better suited for the WCO than Sage.
However, Sage has proved that he can play under pressure better than Schaub, and that he's more durable up to this point.

I'm glad we have both.
And I'm also glad to watch the battle between Shane and Alex as well.
Yes, the ball was tipped. Yes, AD dropped the ball.

The ball still hit AD square in the hands after the tip. IMO, if the ball hits your hands, it should be caught.

And no, I'm not ragging on AD.

Last edited by Hervoyel; 08-18-2008 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Watch your language please in the public-viewable forums
HOU-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #26
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Rep to anyone who admits to being wrong. One game doesn't prove it but that was a heck of a game.
Tough one...
Old 08-18-2008   #27
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Bah. Emotions run high, everyone wants to get behind their guy. We've got them both, they're both really good. No point in eating crow, just enjoy the ride.
Old 08-18-2008   #28
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

The ball still hit AD square in the hands after the tip. IMO, if the ball hits your hands, it should be caught.

And no, I'm not ragging on AD.

I don't think it's that easy, HOU-TEX!

But anyway, that's a judgement call.

If you expect our receivers to field that ball 100% of the time, I think we would have the number one receiving corp of all time!

Last edited by Hervoyel; 08-18-2008 at 06:31 PM. Reason: quoted edited post
Old 08-18-2008   #29
Polo

Matt's a very good QB, but I think folks are reading a little too much into his Saints performance...

I really didn't see him do anything I didn't already think he could do...

I'd like to see him consitently play at an elite level...I think he can...
Old 08-18-2008   #30
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

And no, I'm not ragging on AD. Shit happens

That's ridiculous! You know not of what you speak.

As a general rule of thumb, sure. However, I could come up with 10 scenarios where that obviously isn't true- and, trying to catch a ball that has been deflected on to a different flight path 5 yards in front of you, in the deep middle of the field would be one of those exceptions. Clearly!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #31
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

As a general rule of thumb, sure. However, I could come up with 10 scenarios where that obviously isn't true- and, trying to catch a ball that has been deflected on to a different flight path 5 yards in front of you, in the deep middle of the field would be one of those exceptions. Clearly!
It was a dropped ball. The ball hit his hands and hit the ground. Did it not?

I'm not sure why I even responded to you. I mean, if you're right all the time, why question you. LMAO!

Anywho, like I said

Good day!

Last edited by Hervoyel; 08-18-2008 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Watch your language please in the public-viewable forums.
HOU-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #32
Polo

HOU-TEX is right...

He shoulda caught the ball...

If you go back and look, he tried to turn and run before he had secured the catch...
Old 08-18-2008   #33
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
HOU-TEX is right...

He shoulda caught the ball...

If you go back and look, he tried to turn and run before he had secured the catch...
We can also say that he tried to turn and run because he didn't think that the ball would be tipped. That is, if the ball wasn't tipped, it probably would have been a big play.
Old 08-18-2008   #34
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I say it every year: pre-season is fool's gold.

While I am in Matt's corner (and Sage's for that matter), the proof will be in the regular season. I want to see 4 qtrs. of consistent football week after week before drinking to much koolaide. But damn, I am thirsty!...
Old 08-18-2008   #35
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 174887 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad View Post
Bah. Emotions run high, everyone wants to get behind their guy. We've got them both, they're both really good. No point in eating crow, just enjoy the ride.
Amen.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #36
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

As long as we're coming clean... I'll admit I was severly wrong about DC... thought we just needed to get the team better. ouch.

And Ahman Green. I was excited about this pick up. I understood the risk because he was 'injury prone' but I never thought it'd be this bad.

I never really put much thought into D. Anderson but thought we could of done better. Thought he was just a coach's pick cuz he liked the guy and knew him from Col. st. but I love the kid now. With Marques Colston being picked right after him, I was thinking that would have been awesome (TE / WR type of combo) but I really really like Anderson and he was well worth that 7th rounder.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #37
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

Dude, the ball landed right in his bread basket,and he should have caught it. Did it suddenly change direction, yes, but still, he's an NFL receiver who is supposed to make those catches. And I can almost guarantee you that he thinks he should of caught it as well.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #38
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It was a dropped ball. The ball hit his hands and hit the ground. Did it not?

I'm not sure why I even responded to you. I mean, if you're right all the time, why question you. LMAO!

Anywho, like I said

Good day!

Are you really going to stand behind your statement that a receiver should catch a ball every time it hits their hands?:

How about:

1. I stand 1 yard from you and throw a ball as hard as I can into your hands- sure it breaks your fingers and you didn't have time to react, but, "the ball hit your hands and then hit the ground".

2. As a receiver leaps for a ball and grabs it with both hands, a 260 lb linebacker slams him face mask to face mask into a safety on the back side who slaps the ball from his outstretched hands. "The ball hit his hands and then hit the ground" so I guess he should have caught it?

Of course their are exceptions to that elementary rule of yours. Among thos exceptions would be when a ball's flight path and speed are altered right in front of you.

I assume you've never played football at a high level- particlulary receiver... It's quite different than standing around playing catch in the street. The speed of the game dramatically changes the experience and fans look pretty foolish when they make over-simplified critiques like "it hit his hands so he should have caught it". Trying running full speed between defenders also running full speed and catching a ball coming at you at 70 mph, only to have it deflected off course and decreased to 40 mph 5 yards in front of you.

Last edited by Hervoyel; 08-18-2008 at 06:32 PM. Reason: quoted edited post
Old 08-18-2008   #39
xcomputerman
Rookie

I thought Schaub clearly demonstrated himself to be one of the better quarterbacks in the league at the start of last season ... before everyone started dropping like flies.

That said, Jason David was the best Texans QB on Saturday.
Old 08-18-2008   #40
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReliantTexan View Post
Dude, the ball landed right in his bread basket,and he should have caught it. Did it suddenly change direction, yes, but still, he's an NFL receiver who is supposed to make those catches. And I can almost guarantee you that he thinks he should of caught it as well.

A professional athlete striving to become even better at his craft being critical of a play he felt he should have made is not the same thing as some dopey fan saying "he should've caught it cuz it hit his hands, and it's a drop anytime it hits your hands and you don't catch it".

Great players feel they should make any play they're capable of making. Of course, AD could've caught the ball. However, the error on that play wasn't his- it was Schaub for the underthrow. And, the expectation on the field wouldn't be for that catch to be made most of the time- certainly the staff didn't spend time with AD telling him what he did wrong there.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read