Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-18-2008   #1
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Amobi Okoye

I just got finished watching the replay of the game on NFL Network. I focused primarily on the o-line and d-line to see what kind of problems the team was having stopping the run and running the ball. The one thing that stood out to me was how bad Amobi Okoye played. I mean, he flat out stunk. He had no burst off the ball, wasn't strong at the point of attack, was blown off the line of scrimmage several times, played too high, and showed absolutely no penetration. No motor at all!

I know most Texan fans have been spewing their venom towards Jacoby and Jacques, but Amobi should be thrown into the fray with them. He isn't playing good at all right now. After watching film from this game, I bet that Jethro and Richard Smith are all over him for his lack of effort. He sucked! Uugghhh

On the brighter side, Duane Brown looked absolutely outstanding. His skill set is awesome. He run blocks better than most are probably paying attention to. He handled the stunts and speed rushes he faced with ease in pass protection. Butler is looking really, really good too. The main problem I saw in the running game, especially early on, was that the line was giving up too much penetration, or the back simply was making the wrong cut. Sedrick Ellis had his way inside, which is a problem the team has to fix considering who we play in our division.

Overall solid game by the team as a whole. Diles continues to impress with his play. Walter..nuff said. Demps played good in run support. Slaton is looking like a steal. Really like H. Williams and Simmons effort. They are playing really hard.

And finally, if there's any doubt to it, Schaub quelled all his naysayers. He is the starting QB and for good reasons. BRING ON THE COWPATTIES!
Old 08-18-2008   #2
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Amobi Okoye

This reminds me of the infamous Mario Williams thread last pre-season. "Mario Williams 0 0 0 0 0 0".
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #3
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
This reminds me of the infamous Mario Williams thread last pre-season. "Mario Williams 0 0 0 0 0 0".

Watch the game again J-Russ. I want Amobi to a breakout season ala Mario. I'll say this-I never saw Mario not playing hard despite what others may have said about him. Amobi has not been playing hard these first two games.
Old 08-18-2008   #4
Polo

I didn't really pay attention to Amobi so I can't really comment on his play...

BUT...I doubt it's as bad as implied here...

I think Kubiak was quoted as saying Mario, Amobi and ND played the best as far as applying pressure...
Old 08-18-2008   #5
Polo

Kubiak:

Quote:
I thought Amobi (Okoye) had his best outing in the preseason.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4520
Old 08-18-2008   #6
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post

I know Kubes is the coach, but from my observation of him on every play I watched (and I watched him on every defensive play), he stunk it up. Go and watch the game again for yourself. I stand firm on my statement of what I saw.
Old 08-18-2008   #7
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
I know Kubes is the coach, but from my observation of him on every play I watched (and I watched him on every defensive play), he stunk it up. Go and watch the game again for yourself. I stand firm on my statement of what I saw.
You don't know what Amobi was asked to do in any of those plays though. He may have been asked to take up defenders so Mario could bust through the line. He may have been asked to stunt or drop back into coverage or any number of things.

Just because you didn't see him bust through and sack Brees doesn't mean he didn't do exactly what the coaches wanted.
Old 08-18-2008   #8
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
You don't know what Amobi was asked to do in any of those plays though. He may have been asked to take up defenders so Mario could bust through the line. He may have been asked to stunt or drop back into coverage or any number of things.

Just because you didn't see him bust through and sack Brees doesn't mean he didn't do exactly what the coaches wanted.

Look people, I played MLB for an SEC program and for one of the top programs in D-1AA (they are now a D-1 program). I came out of high school playing MLB in a 3-4 system. I played in a 3-3-5 system at one college and a 4-3 Multiple at the other. I am very well-versed in defensive fronts, alignments, stunts, coverages, etc., because I had to be. I look at things different from the average football fan. I know on certain loop stunts that Amobi had outside contain that kept him from going after the QB. I saw that. They ran that stunt with him and Mario a couple of times during the game.

But, I also watched his pad level, his burst off the line, his strength at the point of attack when the Saints ran the ball at him. It was not good. He was consistently pushed off the ball and was a non-factor. I saw at least three times when they weren't running a stunt and Amobi had one man blocking him on pass protection. His man wore him out every time. I am not claiming to be an expert, but I know my stuff when it comes to football.
Old 08-18-2008   #9
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
Look people, I played MLB for an SEC program and for one of the top programs in D-1AA (they are now a D-1 program). I came out of high school playing MLB in a 3-4 system. I played in a 3-3-5 system at one college and a 4-3 Multiple at the other. I am very well-versed in defensive fronts, alignments, stunts, coverages, etc., because I had to be. I look at things different from the average football fan. I know on certain loop stunts that Amobi had outside contain that kept him from going after the QB. I saw that. They ran that stunt with him and Mario a couple of times during the game.

But, I also watched his pad level, his burst off the line, his strength at the point of attack when the Saints ran the ball at him. It was not good. He was consistently pushed off the ball and was a non-factor. I saw at least three times when they weren't running a stunt and Amobi had one man blocking him on pass protection. His man wore him out every time. I am not claiming to be an expert, but I know my stuff when it comes to football.
Actually I thought it was a good post from the top, and thanks for posting the information to detail. I didn't watch Okoye much in the last game, so thanks for passing it on. I'm not to worried about Okoye though. I think that he'll be just fine once the season starts.

Didn't pay much attention to Brown either, and it's good to hear that he played really well.

And I totally agree with you on Shaub. He looked fantastic!
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #10
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I watched the original game, the replay from channel 13, and the NFL replay.
And I did watch the line, but I have yet to review each play, so I really can't grade the linemen individually.

Overall, I agree that Okoye did not have a good game.
He had a few good moments and a few bad moments.

Except for Mario, none of the linemen caught my attention.

I also agree that this is not the time to worry about our starting D-line.

Even as I was very eager to find out whether a guy like Colvin had regained his quickness and his burst (I have not seen that. He looked a bit rusty), I have to remind myself that it's still too early.
Guys need time to round into playing shape. And that's what the pre-season is for.
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #11
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56079 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I didn't really pay attention to Amobi so I can't really comment on his play...

BUT...I doubt it's as bad as implied here...

I think Kubiak was quoted as saying Mario, Amobi and ND played the best as far as applying pressure...

He said it was "amobi's best effort of the pre-season"... not really a ringing endorsement when there's only been 2 games and he only played 1 quarter in the first game.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #12
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

People said the same thing about Mario even though kubiak kept telling people that he was playing well. Fans only react when they see huge sacks.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #13
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
i remember specifically making a post similar to that one last year. something like "mario just doesn't seem explosive... i don't know...." lets hope that things continue to follow suit. man, i love it when i'm wrong.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #14
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
He said it was "amobi's best effort of the pre-season"... not really a ringing endorsement when there's only been 2 games and he only played 1 quarter in the first game.
Read into it how you may...
Old 08-18-2008   #15
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 74500 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Okoye had a very solid although not spectacular rookie year.
2. Kubes has indicated that Okoye had the best off-season of anyone on the team. To me that means the work ethic is there.
3. Items 1 & 2 should put us in a position to trust that Okoye will continue to progress and improve, unless and until something more than a couple of questionable preseason games causes us to doubt that.

Granted, Kubes has shown a clear desire to avoid throwing players under the bus, and I believe that's the absolute best position to have. But he's also shown that when he comes out and says positive things on an unsolicited basis (as in point #2), he's been pretty much spot-on with those comments.
Old 08-18-2008   #16
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56079 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Read into it how you may...
Not reading into anything. He simply said that of the 2 pre-season games, Amobi was better in the second than in the first... That's not a ringing endorsement, especially since he didn't make any plays in either game.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #17
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

If it's just the preseason, I'm sure he'll round out when the games count. If it's a down-time, I have faith that he'll turn it around.

Go AMOBI!
Old 08-18-2008   #18
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
That's not a ringing endorsement, especially since he didn't make any plays in either game.
As I said read into it how you may...

Context clues do matter...

From the link posted earlier:

Quote:
Looking individually, I thought Mario (Williams) was good in the game. I think Zac Diles continues to step forward. I thought Amobi (Okoye) had his best outing in the preseason. You go to the second group, N.D. Kalu continues to push for a spot on this team. He’s rushing the passer pretty well, he is the guy applying the pressure. (Tim) Bulman played pretty darn good, came back this week and played well.
He's listing players he thought played well....

Read into it how you want...
Old 08-19-2008   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
People said the same thing about Mario even though kubiak kept telling people that he was playing well. Fans only react when they see huge sacks.
I think it was totally different with Mario. You could see everything they talked about with Mario, in the preseason, and his whole rookie year. You could see his strength, you could see his burst, you could see his speed, you could see his effort, you could see his lack of technique.

IT was all there, and it was evident.

I don't think the game was ever too fast for Mario, a little over his head maybe.

Not hyping Okoye, or knocking him, just saying it's not the same.
Old 08-19-2008   #20
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

I joined the 21st century last week and got a DVR. I have the game recorded so I can watch again and pay closer attention to individual players, but from what I saw when I watched the D line was a solid effort by the Saints offensive line. Mario was the only one getting any penetration. I think Amobi was just getting stoned by a strong interior.

With that line and the weapons Brees has around him, the Saints offense could be exceptional this season.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read