Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-18-2008   #21
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rookie RB Slaton to get start against Cowboys

Good to hear they are holding Green out. If we cut him this year it is mostly a wash. Next year is the year we cut bait as we get more goodness from a cap relief standpoint.
Old 08-18-2008   #22
Lucky

Rep Power: 102976 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
And as aj previously wrote, if Green is on final roster, he gets his payload guaranteed. Either the Texans have made the decision to cut Green or, can you say "STUPID?"
Wouldn't the Texan need to reach an injury settlement with Green, thanks to that devastating groin injury? I don't know how much $$$ that would be, or the cap implications. It could be that Smith & Kubiak realize they're stuck with Green, and are trying to make the best of a bad situation.

BTW, did anyone see Michael Turner against the Colts? Wow. It would have nice to have had the cap room to go after him this past offseason.
Old 08-18-2008   #23
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

According to Keith W's salary cap pages

Ahman is set to make in:
2008 - 3.8m in salary and 1.637m in bonus
2009 - 4.8m in salary and 2.037m in bonus

He does not have 2010 data published which is the year Green is signed through.

Morlon Greenwood's contract is where the savings are in the very near future.

Weaver's contract is flat out painful to look at, and is signed through 2010.

Last edited by Kaiser Toro; 08-18-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Kaiser Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #24
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have mixed emotions with Green. On the one hand, I completely agree with keeping him fresh and getting healed up for this season. On the other, I'm starting to feel that his spot is not safe at all. If we're at all wondering if he's going to make the team or not, don't baby him... I put him out there running and if he gets injured (again) then he gets injured. That's the only question I have about Green. Can he stay healthy or not? If the answer is no... get rid of him.

Now I understand the cap implications. It'd be great if he could be healthy this year and then release him next year but at this point, we're trying to find roster spots for as many other guys that have potential at every positions. Darius Walker is a guy I think should definitely make the squad as a backup and it'd be a shame to cut him just to have Green on IR by game 3 or 4 and Walker picked up by a nother team. Or get rid of DT Bulman or the young CB Roberson because that last spot is reserved for Green.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #25
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Walker is in the same boat as Green in the "what have you done for me lately" category as well. Walker did not get picked up by anyone last year and there are other Walker's out there.

However, I do believe Walker will make the roster with Taylor being cut.

Like last year I am optimistic about our offensive line getting incrementally better.

As far as roster spots are concerned. Bulman and Roberson need to beat out players at their respective positions unless they are proving to be special teams stars.
Old 08-18-2008   #26
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I am excited to see what Slaton can do against the 1s this Friday!!!
Old 08-18-2008   #27
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
On radio 610 MCClain just revealed that Green would not play the rest of the preseason.............that this is what the coaches told him they planned all along. They certainly never made that statement anywhere that I heard or for that matter anyone else heard. This seems like just another example of the Texans Two-Truth. And as aj previously wrote, if Green is on final roster, he gets his payload guaranteed. Either the Texans have made the decision to cut Green or, can you say "STUPID?"
I watched the live press conference on the official site yesterday. It was there that Kubiak first (at least I don't remember seeing it since the injury, but I've been out of town) revealed that Green would be out about three weeks. Like I said on my blog, I'm just going to go ahead and tack a "at least" on the front of that.

It's time to cut him, cap hit be damned. It's not reactionary or overreacting... it's time. He's done.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2008   #28
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Green was a gamble that didn't pay off - **it happens.

Holding on to this guy isn't such a bad idea...for awhile until something better comes along. Once the cuts begin - I think that Green either gets better really fast or he will find himself a retired football player. His days are numbered - that much is apparent.

I really don't think that Kubiak will keep him on the active roster if he is just taking up space. These guys have a playoff goal about which they appear to be very very serious. If AG can't help them get there - they won't keep him around. Our running game isn't good enuf for us to be a rundown running back charitable organization...even though sometimes it looks that way.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #29
Toro59
Rookie

I'm really liking Slaton. He reminds me of Maurice Jones-Drew. They have the same body type. Very close in weight and Slaton is just a few inches taller. If he turns out to be anything like Jones-Drew he will defiantly help create a run game for the Texans.
Toro59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #30
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro59 View Post
I'm really liking Slaton. He reminds me of Maurice Jones-Drew. They have the same body type. Very close in weight and Slaton is just a few inches taller. If he turns out to be anything like Jones-Drew he will defiantly help create a run game for the Texans.
huh?

did MJD go on a diet this off-season and i missed it?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #31
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 156011 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
As far as roster spots are concerned. Bulman and Roberson need to beat out players at their respective positions unless they are proving to be special teams stars.
Bulman was a very good ST performer last year, and has the only sack this preseason - and it was a hustle sack, too. Roberson has played pretty well on ST thus far, but he has less of a chance to make the team than Bulman, though both may make it. The cut from 75 to 53 is going to be tough, no doubt.
Old 08-18-2008   #32
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't wait!
Old 08-18-2008   #33
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 156011 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Slaton has bulked up, but isn't quite up to MJD's size yet. Also, MJD has tree trunks for legs. Nonetheless, I feel the size issue is often overplayed.
Old 08-18-2008   #34
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jones-Drew is everything in the NFL Reggie Bush was supposed to be, so I think its premature to rate Slaton that highly right now, though the early return are looking good.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #35
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Slaton is built more like Portis when he came into the league.

Old 08-18-2008   #36
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2679 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought slaton showed surprising power in the hole and i hope he can hold up with a full work load.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #37
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
I thought slaton showed surprising power in the hole and i hope he can hold up with a full work load.
Portis turned out alright
Old 08-18-2008   #38
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

I was surprised how good he looked in the holes and taking hits while driving his legs.

Still needs to go against a 1st team defense and show he can sustain the poundings over a term, to comfort our concerns based on our history in the backfield, and shake past perception of his WVa career.
Old 08-18-2008   #39
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Wouldn't the Texan need to reach an injury settlement with Green, thanks to that devastating groin injury? I don't know how much $$$ that would be, or the cap implications. It could be that Smith & Kubiak realize they're stuck with Green, and are trying to make the best of a bad situation.

BTW, did anyone see Michael Turner against the Colts? Wow. It would have nice to have had the cap room to go after him this past offseason.
The way they have made it seem, just like AJ, he's really ready to go, but they want him to be "really healed and rested" before getting out there. If indeed, he is technically ready to go, then he does not fall into the settlement clause.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #40
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but in the Baldinger interview video when we practice with the Saints, he said that some heads around the league thought Slaton was the best back in the entire draft. You gotta remember the injury was the thing that hamper him in his senior year, but before that he was consider a first round pick and one of the top RB in NCAA.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read