Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-17-2008   #21
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Marcel Shipp

I'm a big Slaton fan RJ. He was a steal in the 3rd RD.

This is more about getting rid of Green by any means necessary.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #22
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Lamont Jordan was picked up by the Patriots and I'm sure the Colts are happy with Keith and Hart behind Addai. I believe the Colts kept 4 backs all year last year also.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #23
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
I don't think either of those guys are garbage pile pickups. L. Jordan would be a great pickup if available, but being realistic, he'll be Addai's backup. Keith was solid last year, so I don't see him getting released. Keith was Addai's backup last year, correct? Because correct if I'm not getting the right guy.
Rhodes & M. Hart played ahead of Keith last night against Balt.

There are going to be running backs cut, that are better than anything we currently have (excluding Slaton).We just have to be patient.
Old 08-17-2008   #24
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 148234 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Rhodes & M. Hart played ahead of Keith last night against Balt.

There are going to be running backs cut, that are better than anything we currently have (excluding Slaton).We just have to be patient.
Sometimes you just gotta wonder if a scheme made a RB look a lot better than he really his. Seems like Indy might have that extra special something that makes their RBs excel, much like Denver of yore. Because I don't remember Rhodes being very special after he left, and I think he was fairly productive in Indy behind Edge. Of course, all my non-Texan player knowledge comes from fantasy football, so I may be wrong.

I'm surprised we didnt take a shot at Jordan. Now he's a guy I could get a bit excited about. Pickups like C. Brown and M. Shipp are like kissing your sister, but if that's all you get, well, I guess you just gotta pucker up.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #25
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

The Pats are currently running

1st team Maroney
2nd team Sammy Morris
3rd team K. Faulk4
4th team H. Evans as a FB short yardage runner.

It's likely Jordan willbe cut.
Old 08-17-2008   #26
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Pats are currently running

1st team Maroney
2nd team Sammy Morris
3rd team K. Faulk4
4th team H. Evans as a FB short yardage runner.

It's likely Jordan willbe cut.
Faulk is their key 3rd down back so Jordan probably battles Evans and Morris for their spots since he can be a good back up as well as a short yardage runner. I wouldn't conclude that they picked him to just to cut him....looks to me like they think he may make two guys expendable as my first glance take on this.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #27
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Shipp has pretty much ideal size and was a up and coming back till he had some injury issues. I'm just glad we are still looking at backs since nobody has impressed me much other than Slaton (I hope he gets some first team touches next week).
then this should make you happy...

Quote:
One day after the Texans beat New Orleans 31-27, coach Gary Kubiak said he plans to use Slaton with the starters against the Dallas Cowboys on Friday. I think hes earned the right to get some reps with the first group, Kubiak said Sunday. He played pretty darn well.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-17-2008   #28
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Sometimes you just gotta wonder if a scheme made a RB look a lot better than he really his. Seems like Indy might have that extra special something that makes their RBs excel, much like Denver of yore. Because I don't remember Rhodes being very special after he left, and I think he was fairly productive in Indy behind Edge. Of course, all my non-Texan player knowledge comes from fantasy football, so I may be wrong.

I'm surprised we didnt take a shot at Jordan. Now he's a guy I could get a bit excited about. Pickups like C. Brown and M. Shipp are like kissing your sister, but if that's all you get, well, I guess you just gotta pucker up.
Didn't Rhodes end up in Oakland behind Jordan et. al.? He really didn't get much of a shot out there.
And I'm totally in agreement on Jordan; he would be a much more interesting addition than Shipp. I think Shipp is bargain-basement camp fodder.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #29
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Jen

Rhodes had a few 100 yard games after Fargas got hurt last year @ OAK.

They must have thought Rhodes is better than Keith or they wouldn't have brought him in.
Old 08-17-2008   #30
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 148234 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jen

Rhodes had a few 100 yard games after Fargas got hurt last year @ OAK.

They must have thought Rhodes is better than Keith or they wouldn't have brought him in.
Really, shows you how much I don't pay attention to guys not on my FFB team after the draft. LOL. Didn't Jordan outplay him, though? I remember Jordan haven't some good games despite OAK's general woes.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #31
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Faulk is their key 3rd down back so Jordan probably battles Evans and Morris for their spots since he can be a good back up as well as a short yardage runner. I wouldn't conclude that they picked him to just to cut him....looks to me like they think he may make two guys expendable as my first glance take on this.
It could go down like this.

I would a look @ Morris if it went down that way. He loooked good last year until he got hurt against Dallas.

Morris is a stud special teams player. Kubes said he wants to upgrade the ST. Which is why I don't think the Pats will cut him.

Just throwing ideas out there.
Old 08-17-2008   #32
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It could go down like this.

I would a look @ Morris if it went down that way. He loooked good last year until he got hurt against Dallas.

Morris is a stud special teams player. Kubes said he wants to upgrade the ST. Which is why I don't think the Pats will cut him.

Just throwing ideas out there.
Old 08-17-2008   #33
Ty Webb
Rookie

Rep Power: 12 Ty Webb was voted MVPTy Webb was voted MVPTy Webb was voted MVP

If the Shipp comes in - it won't be a bad thing. Like someone alread said at least they are not satisfied with the running back situation in its current state. I liked Slaton before but I am really starting to like him now.
Old 08-17-2008   #34
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Shipp seems like an older version of the Mike Bell/Chris Taylor line of hybrid RB/FB who can play specail teams well. Overall, if he winds up getting significant carries with teh Texans at best we are getting by.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #35
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Jordan didn't play against TB tonight.
Old 08-17-2008   #36
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who knew fungible could be so fun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Rick Smith said on-air last night that someone would be brought in within the next week to "solidify the position."
I should have realized that would rule out Ron Dayne, who is in a liquid gel form.

Welcome Marcel, to the Land of the Misfit Running Backs!
Old 08-18-2008   #37
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 52681 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't panic right now. We're still light years ahead of last year at the RB position. Remember, we've got Darius Walker as our 5th string HB. Green should be ready to go by week one. Certainly, he's way beyond being counted on for the season, but he'll be healthy and ready to go if we choose to have him on the team.

Let's say Shipp doesn't work out and Green gets cut:

still, between Slaton, CTaylor, CBrown, and Darius Walker we have very good depth and a significant amount of promise: Brown will be good in the 8-10 games he's healthy. Taylor should be effective in short yardage and may continue to progress in the ZBS. Slaton is showing a lot of potential. He should be able to see 10-15 carries a game and at least provide a serious homerun threat. And Walker can be counted on to play solidly in a pinch.

My concern with the running game, primarily, is the continued progression of the Oline. I think it definitely looked better this week- fewer missed assignments, it appeared. Also, Brown was better. I have a very difficult time seeing what's going on with the guards on the running plays but there certainly wasn't as much penetration up the middle this week.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #38
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Ahman seems to have some kind of protective angel despite no productivity or playing time he's still the Texans featured back. reminds me of Kubiaks first season, extending Carr, convinced he could be his starter

so then it falls directly on Chris Taylor, still to raw, often hurt, missing blocks in protection something a FB has to master. If the Texans carry two fullbacks its gonna be Leach & Cook, the Taylor @ FB experiment is failing. Marcel Shipp is a RB who can block. All I gotta say is he better come into camp healthy & in shape

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #39
Sideline
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 118 Sideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Spent the entire season in 2004 on injury reserve due to an ankle and leg injury.

link: Marcel Shipp profile

Horrible stats, too.

Eeek.

I seem to remember he dislocated his ankle and probably broke his leg in the process as they do often seem to come together. I am all for taking another look at some backs however I know most won't agree but with Ahmans pulled groin, hammy whatever it is. I believe were this the regular season he would be playing. There is just no point letting something like that fester in games that don't matter.
Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #40
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Ahman seems to have some kind of protective angel despite no productivity or playing time he's still the Texans featured back.
I'm guessing the protective angel is in-part the org's unwillingness to already declare failure on the guy after spending millions of the bosses money on him - which is balanced with the devil on the other shoulder that's yet another 4 million of the bosses money waiting to be guaranteeed to him in two weeks if he makes the 53. If I'm McNair, I'm not sure I want to just give away any more money to a guy that can't play one play in pre-season without taking himself out of the game after falling down untouched.

Unfortunately all we see or hear from Ahman is him scoffing at fan's comments on radio interviews about him no longer able to stay healthy, or those smirky, smarmy little video comments ranging from 'it's (the groin injury) nothing' to I don't know when I'll be ready to play' or 'that's football.' It's not football. It's an old vet whose at the end of his career that's caught in a place between his lost fire and desire to play football - and another guaranteed 4 million if he makes the 53. His agent was overheard at dinner the other night saying "just make the 53 baby." (humor)

This wouldn't be such a big deal if it wasn't the flippin' RB1 roster spot. I think comments like 'he's a vet and knows his body better than anyone' or 'he's just saving himself for the regular season' are bullshit. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm tired of being strung along. I saw comments from Kubiak recently where he said AG was having serious doubts about his future last year during his knee thing. If those doubts were there last year, you can be assured that they are back this year, despite his great summer workout sessions and training camp (all with no or limited contact I might add). If I'm McNair, I'm putting a lot of pressure on Rick Smith to assure me that Ahman can come back healthy and add some value to the team this year before I throw another 4 mill at him. I'm highly skeptical and thoroughly disgusted with the whole situation. Prove me wrong Ahman.

Last edited by aj.; 08-18-2008 at 07:30 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read