Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2008   #21
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sizing Up Our Next Opponent....

I like the 3rd preseason game. It's usually the most serious of all preseason games, and if there's anything going to be showcased from the regular season, it'll probably be in this game.

I look forward to seeing what Duane Brown can do against the speed-rushing OLBs in the 3-4. I also want to see if the ZBS can have a little more success with more practice and against the 3-4.

I don't generally care if we win in the preseason, except against the Cowboys!

GO TEXANS!
Old 08-20-2008   #22
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad View Post
I like the 3rd preseason game. It's usually the most serious of all preseason games, and if there's anything going to be showcased from the regular season, it'll probably be in this game.

I look forward to seeing what Duane Brown can do against the speed-rushing OLBs in the 3-4. I also want to see if the ZBS can have a little more success with more practice and against the 3-4.

I don't generally care if we win in the preseason, except against the Cowboys!

GO TEXANS!

The Girls are also evidently giving this game some real importance. They are hoping that their recent performance woes are based only on great players executing poorly. If they continue to show the trends seen in the 1st two preseason games, they will have to be worrying about the personel as well.

One thing seem to be for sure, they will be blitzing the heck out of Schaub this Friday............if they can. And if they can't, well...............

Dallas Morning News
Quote:
Wade Phillips knows he made a mistake by not blitzing that much against Denver and giving quarterback Jay Cutler enough time to feel comfortable in the pocket and throw the ball without pressure. He won't do that again, though it's unclear why he did it in the first place. All I can say is I hope it didn't have anything to do with breaking some unwritten code about not blitzing opponents in the preseason.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. As a friend of mine likes to say, "I can't coach my team and your team too."

On another note, I'd also expect Tony Romo to be a lot sharper this week, especially since he said the Cowboys would've scored a lot of points if they had played more than two series against Denver.

Just so you know, I would've won the lottery had I bought a ticket. You get my point?

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #23
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I hope that T.O. is gentle with Jacques Reeves
Old 08-20-2008   #24
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion View Post
The Texans have in the past been plagued by penalties on both sides of the ball as well .... A good sign that the offense has it together is the One penalty over a Two game span .... A Flase Start on B.Frye at around the 8 minute mark of the 3rd quarter Vs. the 'Aints . Thats 6.5 quaters without an offensive penalty . The fact that its preseason makes it all the more impressive.
Actually there was a holding penalty on Joel Dreesen on Chris Brown's best run of the night, the 15 yarder. That was in like the 2nd quarter.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #25
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Actually there was a holding penalty on Joel Dreesen on Chris Brown's best run of the night, the 15 yarder. That was in like the 2nd quarter.

Quote:
Link(:40) 22-C.Brown left end to NO 29 for 15 yards (71-K.Clancy). PENALTY on HOU-85-J.Dreessen, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at NO 44 - No Play.
Yep I missed that one in the play by play .... Still , two offensive penalties in two games is outstanding .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #26
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion View Post
Yep I missed that one in the play by play .... Still , two offensive penalties in two games is outstanding .
Oh by no means was I implying that isn't outstanding. If you are like me and have watched Texans football since the inception, you can recall holding and false start penalties out the wazoo. However now we are starting a rookie left tackle and we still haven't heard his name. At first I thought he would be flagged in his first game, then when nothing happened in the second game I was like....Yeah!!!!

What I don't like is the 4 pass interference calls on us in two games on D.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
This is going to be a real test for our new LT when he goes up against one of
the best, some say the best, edge rusher in the league today in DeMarcus Ware.
I don't think so..... Salaam owned him when they met in the regular season.

I'm not a Cowboy hater. I really want to see them do well.... I want an All Texas SuperBowl in my life time.

But there isn't anything special about Demarcus Ware. And as long as they continue to look for a compliment to Ware, they're going to continue to get mediocre pass rushing from the other side. They need to find someone better than Ware, and let DeMarcus be the complimentary player.

Don't get me wrong, I was once high on Ware, but now, I'm not seeing it.

But it's kinda like the Houston Texans, we continue to look for a compliment to Dunta Robinson, and we always end up with guys who are fair to pathetic in coverage........ We need to find a true #1 CB before our secondary will get any better.
Old 08-20-2008   #28
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Dunta Robinson isn't short on compliments.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #29
Polo

Wow...

I'm really seeing some terrible football takes on this board...

Pretty much makes it pointless to post...
Old 08-20-2008   #30
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

If that's directed at me, I would suggest you put your reading glasses on.
Old 08-20-2008   #31
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, Dallas is going to be looking to come out and punch us in the mouth. They've been embarrassed on the road for the past couple of weeks and will be playing at home for the first time this preseason.

I hope we're ready to counter-punch.
Old 08-20-2008   #32
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Wow...

Wow, that's just incredibly insightful!

Back to the thread...

The 'Boys have looked anything but awesome thus far. To be fair though, the Texans only looked stellar against the #32-ranked pass defense.

Cowboys Offense vs Texans Defense - My heart wants the win, but my brain says our still-developing secondary gets torched.

Texans Offense vs. Cowboys Defense - It'll come down to how well the Texans protect against the rush, and whether we can get ANY kind of running game going. Our injury / aging-riddled RB corps doesn't fill me with high hopes this game.
Old 08-20-2008   #33
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Wow...

and yet here you is....
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #34
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

The Cowpatties will be up for us, don't think they won't. Wouldn't suprise me in the least to see us lose this one. And while I hate losing to them, it's pre-season.

I just want to see improvement is all. All in all, we still don't look a lot different from last year. Offense = pass good, run bad. Defense = mediocre.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #35
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

The odds makers have Houston at a 5 point deficit.

An interesting meaningless stat and take offered up [LINK]:

Quote:
Betting on Wade Philips-coached teams in week 3 of the NFL preseason has been a winning wager in the past with Philips having a 3-1 record during this time of the exhibition games.

Gary Kubiak, Houston’s head coach, has not shown the same type of work schedule as he generally wins his early preseason games but then loses the last two weeks, likely in an effort to rest starters and keep everyone healthy.

Houston has won both of their preseason games so far and betting on them as an underdog last time out would have been a wise move, but this is a different week with an entirely different situation unraveling.

The Texans’ have made it a point to pound the ball with the running game in this one but they are facing the first team defense from one of the league’s best run-stopping squads in the entire league and will likely struggle with the ground game.

If you plan on betting on the Texan quarterbacks to keep up with the incredible preseason start (no interceptions), you better guess again as the Cowboys are planning on blitzing more and just elevate the level of intensity on defense.
Bring it on...........
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #36
Dancerdog
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 Dancerdog was voted MVPDancerdog was voted MVPDancerdog was voted MVP

I hate to dampen anyone's spirits, but I suspect we lose this game against the Cowboys. It's their first game at home and they are an exceptionally good team. Here's to the Terxans beating the odds and defeating the Cowboys.
Dancerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #37
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancerdog View Post
I hate to dampen anyone's spirits, but I suspect we lose this game against the Cowboys. It's their first game at home and they are an exceptionally good team. Here's to the Terxans beating the odds and defeating the Cowboys.
I think most of us are just looking forward to seeing how we fair against their 3-4, in particular Studdard and Brown for me. Laying a pounding on them would be gravy. Also it would be nice to see some semblance of pass rush out of our #1's. The secondary is going to need all the help it can get in this one, granted the way things have gone so far that goes for every game.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #38
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Oh by no means was I implying that isn't outstanding. If you are like me and have watched Texans football since the inception, you can recall holding and false start penalties out the wazoo. However now we are starting a rookie left tackle and we still haven't heard his name. At first I thought he would be flagged in his first game, then when nothing happened in the second game I was like....Yeah!!!!

What I don't like is the 4 pass interference calls on us in two games on D.
Yeah , Seeing Brown have success early is great . I didnt expect this kind of play out of him at least not this early . The fewer times I hear Browns name called the better ....
From post draft discussions I knew Kubiak was high on Brown , I just didnt realize how quickly he would progress. I dont think he has exceeded Kubiaks expectations .... and he still has a lot of room to grow as a player.

Ugh the secondary is going to have a rough year if the front four cant get more heat on the QB .... I expect to see a lot of those kind of penalties over the at least the first half of the season . IF D-Rob can come back near 100% thats going to be a huge boost to the defense .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #39
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Quote:
Betting on Wade Philips-coached teams in week 3 of the NFL preseason has been a winning wager in the past with Philips having a 3-1 record during this time of the exhibition games.

Gary Kubiak, Houston’s head coach, has not shown the same type of work schedule as he generally wins his early preseason games but then loses the last two weeks, likely in an effort to rest starters and keep everyone healthy.

Houston has won both of their preseason games so far and betting on them as an underdog last time out would have been a wise move, but this is a different week with an entirely different situation unraveling.

The Texans’ have made it a point to pound the ball with the running game in this one but they are facing the first team defense from one of the league’s best run-stopping squads in the entire league and will likely struggle with the ground game.

If you plan on betting on the Texan quarterbacks to keep up with the incredible preseason start (no interceptions), you better guess again as the Cowboys are planning on blitzing more and just elevate the level of intensity on defense.
I don't care about the final score tonight so I shouldn't even be bothered by this, but I can't help but scoff at something so dishonest. Noting Wade Phillips' record in the third week of the preseason is great and all, but if you're gonna go that far and use it as an argument why the Cowboys will win, you might consider giving your readers a fuller picture.

Like this....

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/boxsco...2007&week=PRE3
Old 08-22-2008   #40
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

i don't put a whole lot of stock in preseason for teams like the Cowboys. They are so Hollywood that it's hard for them to muster up any effort in a meaningless rehearsal. Once the red carpet is out and the flashbulbs are going strong then you'll see their true colors. I do think they will play harder/better than in the last two games because they're in front of their own crowd but it's pretty hard to judge a team full of me-me-me's when it's just a pretend game. Cleveland on the other hand could be in for it.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read