Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-17-2008   #1
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFLN Highlights

So, I generally don't ascribe to the "ESPN/NFLN hates us and doesn't respect us" school of conspiracy theories.

But...

In the between game highlights where they quickly go through the highlights of all the games, was anyone else ticked off that they only showed two highlights from the Texans/Saints game? The first is the Bush hurdling Reeves TD and the other is the Colston over Fletcher TD. We won the game. We had a great performance by Schaub, a great performance by Walter, some good stuff from Slaton. And nothing.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #2
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3020 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFLN Highlights

Yeah, I thought that was ridiculous, but they only showed those highlights because Bush and Colston are stars and AJ didn't play.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #3
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311031 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Our time will come.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #4
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

agreed

on the nfl.com 10-game Saturday recap, NO TEXANS highlights. They were gushing over the saints and Reggie Bush's leap to the endzone. They said "they're READY for the regular season, however the texans get it done" .

Then as they faded away someone said, the texans are ready also--barely got that in before they loaded the next game's hi-lights.

Now, they did have a seperate video on how matt schaub picked apart the saints but it was STILL COMICAL to me that the Texans got dissed on the 10 game Saturday recap clip.

I love that the Texans are a real, legitimate team...but the bias is still there and brace yourself for more one-sided coverage.
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311031 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

This type of coverage is what we'll get nationally until the Texans have a winning season and do something in the playoffs. That's just the way it is.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #6
Webbster
Rookie

After watching the Highlights. I can't wait for tomorrow after work.

get home...
Have Dinner...
Play with the kiddos and wear them out...
Put the kiddos to bed...
Settle in on the couch with Mama and watch my team play some Football...

Life is GOOD!!!
Webbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS4MARIO View Post
Then as they faded away someone said, the texans are ready also--barely got that in before they loaded the next game's hi-lights.
That was Jamie Dukes, btw.

Lot of people have been ragging on Jamie recently because he hasn't been giving us a lotta love.
Sponsored links
Old 08-17-2008   #8
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4662 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

Let every team we play show up in the high lights as long as we get a win.
Old 08-17-2008   #9
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

And What was so great about Reggie's TD, he hurdled one defender. whoopty friggin do. And they don't even mention that Schaub went 14-16 for 187 and 2 TDs.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #10
stiff
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReliantTexan View Post
And they don't even mention that Schaub went 14-16 for 187 and 2 TDs.

Shhh lets keep it quiet for now until the regular season then we will be the suprise of the NFL! People will start to take notice after the Texans beat the Steelers in week 1.
stiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #11
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess our players are just not exciting enough for them. We are just a "meat and potato" kind of team. Our players are too low key. They just go out and do their job and stay out of trouble. But that's ok! I'll take that and a win any day of the week!

This "media bias" thing with Houston sports has been going on a long time and I guess I just don't concern myself with it anymore. As long as we have good strong competitive teams that play hard and are in the running for championships (and winning some like the Rockets) I'll be satisfied. I'm just waiting on the Texans (and Stros)to bring one home for us! I guess a few more would be nice too!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #12
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
This type of coverage is what we'll get nationally until the Texans have a winning season and do something in the playoffs. That's just the way it is.
Really? How many winning seasons have the Saints had?
Old 08-17-2008   #13
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

There is no media bias against Houston. The closest there ever came to being media bias was when Hakeem schooled Ewing in the NBA Finals. Everyone (including the refs) wanted the Knicks to win and it was looked at as a foregone conclusion by the media at large.

Bush gets a lot of hype because he is a Heisman trophy/National Championship winner out of USC (Los Angeles) and because he is a fresh face (industry term) and sleeps with errrrrrr dates Kim KardASSian....plus the whole New Orleans renaissance gives him some sentimental stories.

Once our team has some success we will get our attention. Coverage does not have to be equal. This isn't communism, its sports media coverage...Until we are relevant we shouldn't expect much national love. I have been happy with most analysts opinions of the Texans and I have heard a few even use the word playoffs when describing our team.
Old 08-17-2008   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

I actually watched them play their highlights again and we weren't the only team that was "shorted' in the highlight reels.

I only noticed that we got slighted because I was wanting to see some of our great plays on the big screen and... zip... nada. But they did it to other teams, too.
Old 08-17-2008   #15
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like selective dis complex to me.

I saw the highlights of Bush and Colston's TDs in the opening (both fabulous plays worthy of highlight material), but I also saw them talk about Schaub's performance and show the TD to Walter when they reviewed the game. Don't lose track of the fact that the Texans trailed at halftime.

I also heard Jamie Dukes counter Mooch's point about Dallas' 17 pro bowlers with a bigass 'who cares, because TO is probably the only guy on that team who has won a playoff game.' Does he still suck and is still a big windbag looking for a buffet now that he made that statement? Or does that make him insightful....

Mooch really needs to lay off the Favre thing. It's getting to the point of creepyness....
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Looks like selective dis complex to me.

I saw the highlights of Bush and Colston's TDs in the opening (both fabulous plays worthy of highlight material), but I also saw them talk about Schaub's performance and show the TD to Walter when they reviewed the game. Don't lose track of the fact that the Texans trailed at halftime.

I also heard Jamie Dukes counter Mooch's point about Dallas' 17 pro bowlers with a bigass 'who cares, because TO is probably the only guy on that team who has won a playoff game.' Does he still suck and is still a big windbag looking for a buffet now that he made that statement? Or does that make him insightful....

Mooch really needs to lay off the Favre thing. It's getting to the point of creepyness....
Actually, you were looking at the FULL highlights that they just ran as part of Total Access. That's different than the quick highlights that they were showing between games.
Old 08-17-2008   #17
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Besides maybe Schaub's big pass to Walter, or David Anderson's big play, what else would they have shown for quick highlights?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #18
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Bush and Colston's TDs had more wow factor than Leach and Walter's, although Walter's was a great play all around. But sometimes (as NO knows) 'wow' gets you on halftime highlights with a L.

I just don't buy into the notion that there are a group of evil trolls sitting in network cutting rooms all across the nation conspiring against the Texans and rubbing their hands together saying 'how can we dis them now...' hooo ha hahhh hahhhhh.

And NO was ahead at the half.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Besides maybe Schaub's big pass to Walter, or David Anderson's big play, what else would they have shown for quick highlights?
They could have at least mentioned Schaub's passing performance.
Old 08-17-2008   #20
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Exactly. Out of all of our plays, what exactly would you consider highlight material?
Chris Taylor's one yd plunge?
Slaton's 10 yd TD run?
Leach's 1 yd catch?
Every day stuff.

besides, I'd rather win the game and have few highlights over leading the league in highlights while losing.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read