Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-17-2008   #41
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts

[quote=threetoedpete;974694]
Quote:
I can see what is around the corner and it isn't pretty

Well I'm glad one of us can. And would you care to explain how we've been "pressing".

Last edited by ReliantTexan; 08-17-2008 at 04:58 PM.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #42
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Well pete, Casserly and company left Smithiak about 3/4 of a team that were all average at best. How do you replace 30 guys in 2 years? you don't. They have added plenty of young talented players that have grown alot, individually and as a unit.

Demeco Ryans, Fred bennett, Owen Daniels, Kevin Walter, Earl Cochran, Amobi Okoye, David Anderson, Steve Slaton, Duane Brown, Zach Diles, Vonta Leach, Eric Winston, Kasey Studdard, Mike Briesel and maybe Molden, and Adibi, we'll see. add the first Mario Williams and Then Matt Schaub and that's 18 very Promissing young players.

That's 1/3 of a team, I think I'll give em some more time.....
Old 08-17-2008   #43
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 71958 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Haven't seen the game yet, so I can't really dispute what you're saying.

However....after reading through the posts of other people here, what you're reporting isn't exactly matching up with what others have observed.

I've been reading that we DIDN'T get pressure on the QB, and that Reeves was consistently picked on (giving up too much ground, and not playing well).

I am excited to watch the replay on Monday and to try and see things for the first time, but with an eye toward trying to see some of the things that all of ya'll are noting in these threads.
Ya I know. There are some who have a different opinion on what they are seeing. Its just preseason. Typicaly a defense will bring in there base D, a few stunts, and a hand full of blitzes and coverage schemes will be simple.

So during preseason I look for who is hustling, getting an up field push, keeping contain.

Bush had a 12 yard run on Williams' side but if you look at the replay Mario was was getting mugged at the time.

Reeves has done a pretty good job for us. He gave up one big play (but so did Bennett and Molden). The other plays people are talking about was a blown assignment by Greenwood leaving both Bush and there TE open. Unfortunately for Reeves he was hustling back to the ball and the last player people saw at the end of the play so they are assuming that was his fault.

I thought our guys did a pretty good job over the last few weeks. Friday will be the real test when we prepare like its a real game.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #44
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 233844 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Let me edit this for you...they send five no one gets there. When the beast is out their pass rush is dung. The push is so bad we make anyone look like Steve Young. ..that's it in a nut shell.
this is very true. The only time I heard Amobi's name called was for defensive holding (which was B/S by the way). According to the stats, T.J. made one tackle; Weaver made none. Okam's name was not on the stat sheet either. Bulman rang up the only sack. Mario was in Brees' face at least three times and was the one who caused him to throw that wounded duck -which should have nullified the pass interference call on Reeves.

Quote:
Slaton is an under sized back who'll only have three to five years of service if you give him more than eighteen carries a game. He is clearly the most talented back they have. He's got one good blitz pick up under his belt...that's one more than Criss Taylor has.
No argument here. I will say that Chris Brown pushed the pile and made what looked to be no gainers (because of the lack of O-line push) into 3-4 yd pickups. I see either Brown or Green (he hasn't been cut just yet) as the starter and Slaton as the 3rd down guy.

Quote:
Reeves is a safety not a corner. They press Molden into service like they did with Jacoby Jones last year...they'll be in the same boat next summer with Molden. Reeves doesn't have the speed to make up the distance when he is beaten off the line. A younger Petie with more up side. They paid him...put lip stick on him and load up the wagons.
Reeves looks like a guy who's thinking more than he's playing when he's covering. He's done okay in run support but you can tell he's still thinking about where he's supposed to be in the cover schemes. I'd like to see Molden up with the ones for a few snaps too... I think Molden will handle the step up in competition better than Jacoby has. And that's just a feeling, nothing except training camp observations to base that on.

Quote:
The one who needs to come down from on high here is Mr. McNair. His head coach and GM are destroying his team trying to give him and the fans what they want...the playoffs by hook or crook. This thing is a marathon not a sprint. Only thing quick will get you is cap head aches.
a) The David Carr experience should let you know that McNair does well to minimize his influence on football decisions.
b) I know what you meant. Build thru the draft. But there are only seven rounds in any given draft so you have to try and fill some holes thru F/A. The only F/As I have any issues with are Green and Weaver; although Colvin is trying my patience. Schaub, Davis, Demps and other have all worked out quite nicely, thank you, so its not like they're batting 0.000.
c) I don't think Rick will put out a contract that leaves us in cap hell. Can anyone identify a Smith contract that does?? Most have been incentive-based with just enough guaranteed money that we land the guy but not so much that he cannot be cut.

Yes, its going to take time. But McNair should stay out of picking players. We've seen how good he is at that.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read