Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-17-2008   #21
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy View Post
The defense is still a work in progress but they improved this week . While we looked better in the flats and up front the defensive backs were beaten . Slaton is the real deal and is far and away a starter at running back while the others need to show me more . We should all be aware that both of the teams we have played are possibly playoff teams this year and played well with very few mistakes . While we are watching this team play nearly penalty free games with very few injuries and some improvement every week the other teams in our division are struggling . They all are having significant injury problems and just not playing with any consistency .
Let me edit this for you...they send five no one gets there. When the beast is out their pass rush is dung. The push is so bad we make anyone look like Steve Young. ..that's it in a nut shell.

Slaton is an under sized back who'll only have three to five years of service if you give him more than eighteen carries a game. He is clearly the most talented back they have. He's got one good blitz pick up under his belt...that's one more than Criss Taylor has.

Reeves is a safety not a corner. They press Molden into service like they did with Jacoby Jones last year...they'll be in the same boat next summer with Molden. Reeves doesn't have the speed to make up the distance when he is beaten off the line. A younger Petie with more up side. They paid him...put lip stick on him and load up the wagons.

The one who needs to come down from on high here is Mr. McNair. His head coach and GM are destroying his team trying to give him and the fans what they want...the plays off by hook or crook. This thing is a marathon not a sprint.Only thing quick will get you is cap head aches.
Old 08-17-2008   #22
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
The one who needs to come down from on high here is Mr. McNair. His head coach and GM are destroying his team trying to give him and the fans what they want...the plays off by hook or crook. This thing is a marathon not a sprint.Only thing quick will get you is cap head aches.
I'm speechless.

I don't know if I've disagreed with any of your posts more than I disagree with this and I've disagreed with a lot of your posts.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #23
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Huh? What? Destroying our team?

That's Ridiculous in the extreme. Not that they haven't made some mistakes, but they are building a playoff team with good players.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #24
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'm speechless.

I don't know if I've disagreed with any of your posts more than I disagree with this and I've disagreed with a lot of your posts.
Well....I stand by my posts...and you'd be well advised to think before you hurl rocks. I can see what is around the corner and it isn't pretty. The coach and GM are pressing. And only bad things will happen when they do that. The only thing we can count on at this point is we have a Qb and WR and one defensive end and a MLB...everything else is up in the air. This thing could collapse and find ourselves standing at ground zero once again very quickly. And it's going to happen so fast you won't have time to get a nose bleed when it happens. What I think about you PN is you're very young.
Old 08-17-2008   #25
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I think you are being to hard on them, really. We are a 500 team in the toughest division in football, and looking up.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #26
Revolution
All Pro

Rep Power: 304 Revolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Let me edit this for you...they send five no one gets there. When the beast is out their pass rush is dung. The push is so bad we make anyone look like Steve Young. ..that's it in a nut shell.

Slaton is an under sized back who'll only have three to five years of service if you give him more than eighteen carries a game. He is clearly the most talented back they have. He's got one good blitz pick up under his belt...that's one more than Criss Taylor has.

Reeves is a safety not a corner. They press Molden into service like they did with Jacoby Jones last year...they'll be in the same boat next summer with Molden. Reeves doesn't have the speed to make up the distance when he is beaten off the line. A younger Petie with more up side. They paid him...put lip stick on him and load up the wagons.

This is probably one of the most ridiculous posts I have ever seen. You are entitled to your opinion, but most of your points are baseless. The only point that has ANY validity is the point about Reeves and the GM has stated he took a chance because of what was available. A calculated risk that needed to be taken and those sometimes fail. Smith's record overall is very good.

A cornerback can start early in his career. Different situation than a WR.

Slaton is bigger than Tiki Barber among many other RBs with long careers. Mr. McNair needs to come down from on high?

Mr. McNair is a class individual and should not be subjected to such drivel...

You really need to wake up from your slumber. We are not in the Capers/Casserly era any longer.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #27
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:

That's our TTP.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-17-2008   #28
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well....I stand by my posts...and you'd be well advised to think before you hurl rocks. I can see what is around the corner and it isn't pretty. The coach and GM are pressing. And only bad things will happen when they do that. The only thing we can count on at this point is we have a Qb and WR and one defensive end and a MLB...everything else is up in the air. This thing could collapse and find ourselves standing at ground zero once again very quickly. And it's going to happen so fast you won't have time to get a nose bleed when it happens. What I think about you PN is you're very young.
OK ... I don't see it . How do you think they are they pressing ?

Pressing is the 49ers signing Nate Clement for 80 million and trading a 1st pick to New England for Joe Staley . We signed Reeves for to much but it was'nt a ton , and I think he's better than Jason David FWIW .

Reeves best asset is his speed , his problem is he's not real good with the ball around . Reeves will get passed up in time but for now he'll play until Molden and Dunta are ready .
Old 08-17-2008   #29
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What I think about you PN is you're very young.
How old do you think I am, Pete? I mean, our ages are pretty clearly displayed. Do the math.

We finally have a team that's reaching respectability and you're calling for the heads of our HC and GM? Why? Because they're pushing players to play up to their potential and trying as hard as they can to make it to the playoffs? That's crazy talk.
Old 08-17-2008   #30
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

They are like any other coach and GM. They are in the middle of their contracts and wondering if they're is going to make a year seven.

ok Earl...You make the Call on the pass rush...the lack of -pressure from the line backers and the off end(s)....On Reeves....on the lack of athleticism from the safeties....every one of those things have been reaches/gambles by this staff. And so far the evidence says they've failed. They are taking a bunch of calculated gambles and they aren't making it. You tell me. you're telling me 10-6...I'm looking for it . I don't see it.

They pressed to give every one a play off run. They did it quick instead of right.
Old 08-17-2008   #31
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I got your new avatar ready man.

Old 08-17-2008   #32
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They are like any other coach and GM. They are in the middle of their contracts and wondering if they're is going to make a year seven.
Um, Rick Smith signed an extension in June that should keep him in Houston through the 2012 season.

Oh, you can have this back.

Old 08-17-2008   #33
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53441 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I got your new avatar ready man.

Damn, Herv. Now that football season is here and your brilliance really gets to shine, you are going to have a gazillion rep points by Dec. I just tried to rep you again, but no go, I have to spread it around.
Old 08-17-2008   #34
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Pete

They signed Reeves on the cheap to give Molden a chance to grow like they did with Bennett.

i agree with you about the LB's they are either really slow or out of position most of the time. We do need another pass rusher & LB's that can time their blitzes better. I wish Adibi could get more playing time. Greenwood is a waste of time & money IMO.

The safties are adequate & would look much better with a pass rush.

Slaton is the best back we have right now. If you are right & he only lasts 3-5 years as an every down back this buys us some time to fill other holes (DE LB CB S) I noticed that Kenton Keith is running 4th team with Indy right now. If he gets cut would you pick him up & who would you cut?

We should be in good cap shape next year from what I've read. (In The Bulls eye).

I think Mr. Mc Nair made a good hire in Smithiak the record has improved every year. Although I expect them to take a step back next year. This will lead to the firing of Richard Smith. Ray Rhodes will take over as DC & I hope they hire Aaron Glenn (after they fire Hoke as well). Aggie connections.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #35
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Very funny Lucky

Smithiak are signed up past the 7 year window Pete is talking about.

Pete did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? It was only a preseason game.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #36
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 148234 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
How old do you think I am, Pete? I mean, our ages are pretty clearly displayed. Do the math.

We finally have a team that's reaching respectability and you're calling for the heads of our HC and GM? Why? Because they're pushing players to play up to their potential and trying as hard as they can to make it to the playoffs? That's crazy talk.
Okay, so I'm not the only one feeling like they just took crazy pills reading TTP's assessment of our coach and GM?

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #37
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

ok Earl...You make the Call on the pass rush...the lack of -pressure from the line backers and the off end(s)....On Reeves....on the lack of athleticism from the safeties....every one of those things have been reaches/gambles by this staff. And so far the evidence says they've failed. They are taking a bunch of calculated gambles and they aren't making it. You tell me. you're telling me 10-6...I'm looking for it . I don't see it.

They pressed to give every one a play off run. They did it quick instead of right.
They only have so many draft picks ... so what do they do ... they get vets who they hope have a year or two left . These are also good clubhouse guys to show the young guys the ropes and their not making a ton of money .

They are hoping between Brown and Green they get one RB . The same with Colvin and Thompson at LB/DE . They did'nt sign Weaver or Greenwood to the big money that was CC .
Old 08-17-2008   #38
KEYE SUX
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 KEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVP

As far as bad decisions or pushing too hard, the biggest mistakes that I can think of only involve RB position. We choose people that are injury prone, aging, or never has beens. (Dayne, Green, Brown) Dayne is gone already. I would rather keep the young guys (Taylor, Walker, Slaton) and build from there. Just my opinion
KEYE SUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #39
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYE SUX View Post
As far as bad decisions or pushing too hard, the biggest mistakes that I can think of only involve RB position. We choose people that are injury prone, aging, or never has beens. (Dayne, Green, Brown) Dayne is gone already. I would rather keep the young guys (Taylor, Walker, Slaton) and build from there. Just my opinion
It was nice to hear Kubes say that Slaton was going to get some reps with the 1's.
Old 08-17-2008   #40
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

TTP:

I have been in your spot before: The spot of thinking that things are badly broken. And I know it's hard to break away from that line of thinking once you get started on it. Trust me, I know...just look at my Sage/Schaub posts over the summer.

I think the biggest knock on Kubiak this far is this: He came onto the scene after the Capers/Casserly era. Talk about a complete wreck! There was nothing but ashes and smoldering twigs left.

I don't like the RB situation. It stinks, and Ahman Green was a gamble that isn't paying off. BUT...it was at least a logical gamble, which is more sane than Capers/Casserly's efforts along the same line of rationale.

I wanted Mendehall/or Chris Johnson/or Felix Jones more than Duane Brown, but my goodness we have a rookie LT who is holding down the fort and keeping Schaub on the field. Duane might not be helping the ground game right now, but he's paying off in terms of pass protection. That's a gamble that appears to be paying dividends already. It wasn't a sexy pick, and could have even been labeled a reach by most experts...but, it's looking to be an OK pickup thus far. And LTs don't need long to get exposed, even if it's a preseason game.

My advice to you is to take a breather and sit a few plays out. You're a fan, so don't think I am saying you're not. But you ARE a very agitated fan right now. I needed time off from this place, and maybe you need a day or so. Just a suggestion.

Heck, us beating the "stacked" Cowboys in a few days will perk you up.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read