Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-17-2008   #61
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Here's what I learned tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I understand, but if you look at the Reeves' and Molden's "burned" plays, I think you'll see the the receivers "gave up their hands"......and it was not recognized or reacted to.

As far as face-guarding, I believe there is no penalty unless there is contact.
therein lies the problem...
both of those passes were deflectable since neither DB had been "left in the dust". I agree, neither guy responded to the WR when they "gave up their hands" as you say.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #62
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I wouldn't jump the gun on Jacoby...

Guys that can make plays with the ball in their hand tend to stick around and be given chances...

I love David Anderson's game and have been a fan since his rookie yr, but Jacoby has an element to his game that DA doesn't have...And really no other reciever besides AJ has....Thats the ability to catch a ball and turn into a running back...

No other reciever besides AJ can catch a ball with defenders in his face and either run through tackles or make people miss...Even Owen Daniels is a catch turn and get a few yards kind of guy...

Andre Davis is slightly at that level, but not to the degree of AJ and Jacoby...

Think about it...If AJ or Jacoby catch a 15 yar crossing pattern in the middle of the field with no one within 8 yards as soon as they turn up the field you know that there's potential for a huge gain because of the talent they posses running with the ball in their hands...With other recievers you don't feel that kind of big play coming after the catch...

Jacoby is young, he's developing...You don't cut a guy with a fumble problem if he has that kind of talent...You cut guys who are mediocre who fumble a lot...those guys aren't worth the trouble....

Harnessing Jacob'y play making ability is possibly worth the trouble...

Having a fast reciever that can stretch a defense and return kicks...nice
Having a reciever that can catch, runs great routes,blocks and does the dirty work...excellent
Having a reciever that can do all that + potetially duplicate the run after the catch ability of your number one wideout....priceless...

There have been talented players with fumble promblems and they have gotten them worked out...No reason Jacoby can't do the same...

Kubiak's take on my point:

Quote:
(on emphasizing yards after catch with the receivers) “We feel like we threw the ball extremely well last year but if you look around the league, yards after catch, we were near the bottom. We feel like making plays once the ball is in your hands is something that is very important. We have to put the pressure on them to try to step up and make some of those plays.”

(on WR Andre Johnson watching tape of Rod Smith) “We had a board in our room, yards after catch, showing how many yards you are responsible for as a receiver, because so many times there are guys that play that position that catch it and think they are done. And there’s guys that before they catch it, they know what they want to go do with it. So, we are just encouraging them to get better in that phase.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4592

Having recievers that can catch the ball and get good YAC is a valuable asset...That's why Jacoby will have a little longer leash...

O.k...carry on....
Old 09-04-2008   #63
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Kubiak's take on my point:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4592

Having recievers that can catch the ball and get good YAC is a valuable asset...That's why Jacoby will have a little longer leash...

O.k...carry on....
If he'll just work harder on the catching and holding the ball part...
believe me, I'm pulling for him.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read