Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-17-2008   #21
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Here's what I learned tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
As far as I know, Adibi didn't play.

as for CBs question.

Reeves wasn't burned deep, and there are just some pass routes that you can't be all over all the time, like hitches for example. Passes will get completed, I know its hard to accept that, but as long as he doesn't give up huge gains and yards after catch I'd consider him nickel/dime material.
He also had a pass interference penalty that kept Houston from having a legit chance of getting off the field and took NOLA from midfield and stuck them right on the edge of the redzone, which allowed them to score a TD and take the lead right before the half.

I know that passes will get completed, that's so obvious that it doesn't even have to be stated, but to act like the guy had a "decent" night just because he didn't get burned deep for a TD is just plain wrong. There is more to being a corner back than just keeping the play in front of you.

1. making a break on the ball and being in position to tackle the receiver as soon as he makes the catch.

2. don't have costly pass interference calls that kill your team

3. be able to come up and be physical in run support.

Jacques Reeves failed miserably at all of those.......again like I said above, there is no way to sugar coat that. We didn't give the guy 20 million dollars to be Petey Faggins and if he doesn't improve his play, that's exactly who he is.

The two worst Texans tonight was easily Jacques Reeves and Jacoby Jones......both players need to step it up.

Even though Molden got beat deep, I was more impressed with that one play than anything Reeves did tonight. Molden was able to close, get position, and stay right in the WRs hip pocket......it took a perfect pass to beat him and unfortunately that is what was thrown.

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 08-17-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #22
Polo

I wouldn't jump the gun on Jacoby...

Guys that can make plays with the ball in their hand tend to stick around and be given chances...

I love David Anderson's game and have been a fan since his rookie yr, but Jacoby has an element to his game that DA doesn't have...And really no other reciever besides AJ has....Thats the ability to catch a ball and turn into a running back...

No other reciever besides AJ can catch a ball with defenders in his face and either run through tackles or make people miss...Even Owen Daniels is a catch turn and get a few yards kind of guy...

Andre Davis is slightly at that level, but not to the degree of AJ and Jacoby...

Think about it...If AJ or Jacoby catch a 15 yar crossing pattern in the middle of the field with no one within 8 yards as soon as they turn up the field you know that there's potential for a huge gain because of the talent they posses running with the ball in their hands...With other recievers you don't feel that kind of big play coming after the catch...

Jacoby is young, he's developing...You don't cut a guy with a fumble problem if he has that kind of talent...You cut guys who are mediocre who fumble a lot...those guys aren't worth the trouble....

Harnessing Jacob'y play making ability is possibly worth the trouble...

Having a fast reciever that can stretch a defense and return kicks...nice
Having a reciever that can catch, runs great routes,blocks and does the dirty work...excellent
Having a reciever that can do all that + potetially duplicate the run after the catch ability of your number one wideout....priceless...

There have been talented players with fumble promblems and they have gotten them worked out...No reason Jacoby can't do the same...

Last edited by Polo; 08-17-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-17-2008   #23
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Having a fast reciever that can stretch a defense and return kicks...nice
Having a reciever that can catch, runs great routes,blocks and does the dirty work...excellent
Having a reciever that can do all that + potetially duplicate the run after the catch ability of your number one wideout....priceless...
I'll take a consistent sure handed receiver that consistently moves the chains on 3rd down over a inconsistent flashy athletic receiver that makes inconsistent plays. Jacoby Jones is never going to sniff the starting WR rotation until he becomes a consistent player and as of right now, he's light years away from catching Kevin Walter (the guy that many posters wanted pushed out of the #2 WR spot.......but all the guy does is make big plays/catches).

- Edmund Burke
Old 08-17-2008   #24
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

i was at the game. here is what i saw from the stands, while looking over my beer glass

OFFENSE

The offensive line looked way better than previous years. I dont think the Texans gave up a sack.

K. Walter and M. Schuab looked extremely impressive. Maybe its just because Jason David was in coverage, but it seemed like they have a strong connection.

Jacoby fumbled twice. Obviously he must fix that ASAP or he wont see the field at all. David Anderson did well, which might be on account of the Saints terrible secondary.

Tight ends did well.

Slaton is very fast. Taylor and Brown were decent.

The offense had no trouble moving the ball the entire game, run or pass it didnt seem to matter.

DEFENSE

Fred Bennet was impressive. I'd say Reeves > Molden as of right now. Reeves got beat by Colston, but Molden got beat by Lance Moore.

CC Brown got in a very good hit to save a touchdown, perhaps he is poised for a solid year after all. I remain skeptical though, that play may have turned out different if it were Shockey in the endzone rather than Mark Campbell.

The front 7 didnt seem to do too poorly, or too spectacularly.
Old 08-17-2008   #25
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

reeves looks terrible, and we're REALLY going to miss dunta robinson if that's the way our db's play in run support (aside from naturally also missing his coverage ability). i wonder if we cut reeves if someone else in the division might pick him up like often happens. heck if nothing else we could try to trade him to new orleans ... he'd fit in perfectly beside jason david.

jacoby's head's not screwed on right. he's going to be in danger of not making the squad if that continues, especially after kubiak called him out at halftime. with johnson, davis, walter, and anderson, along with slaton, JJ's not in any position to be having repeated mental errors.

david anderson is going to get some big pats on the back when they go into the film room. gibbs is going to be very pleased with the way he's blocking, and his route running and hands have been near perfect.

if (i mean WHEN) green and/or brown go down at any point during the season, slaton is going to have a real chance to take the starting job. i know he's not supposed to be an every down back but he sure looks a lot better and much more confident than the guys fighting for the 3rd spot.
Old 08-17-2008   #26
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Jason David was our best player tonight.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #27
Polo

Here's what I learned:

Matt Schaub isn't too far behind the top QB's in this leauge. The only thing he really lacks is experience.

Slaton should figure to be a big part of everything offensive related this year.

Jaque Reeves is the worst. Not only does he get roasted but he gets shoved to the ground by Reggie Bush like a child, Ran through and got his helmet knocked off two plays later, and he also provided Reggie with a nice highlight score...With tht kind of play I'd rather go with a rook and let him learn ad Herv said...Jaques Reeves basically let a whole drive play out with inept play...

I don't know what I'd do with that D-line, but I think the DE's not named Mario need to be shaken up...

In a previous life I many times stated Greenwood was terrible and I will reiterate that now. He needs to go.

I'm actually kind of o.k with our safety play....not a whole laot happening in the middle of the field...

They aren't playmakers, but they are plenty experienced...We could still use a playmaker in centerfield, but I don't see that as one of our major weaknesses on that side of the ball...

I didn't notice Duane Brown. That's a good thing.

Overall I think the team played well, but we still definitely have a ways to go...But this is only the second pre-seaon game...it's early...

Last edited by Polo; 08-17-2008 at 01:19 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 08-17-2008   #28
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I'll take a consistent sure handed receiver that consistently moves the chains on 3rd down over a inconsistent flashy athletic receiver that makes inconsistent plays.
I would too.

Too bad football careers don't operate in a two game vaccum...
Old 08-17-2008   #29
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
it definitely is. i watched him on a couple of plays and they were positive. he pulled out during a screen early in the game that impressed me, my immediate thought was "that play loses yards with last year's terrible blocking in space".
Old 08-17-2008   #30
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Here's what I learned:

Matt Schaub isn't too far behind the top QB's in this leauge. The only thing he really lacks is experience.
He has the potential to be Tom Brady good.

Quote:
I'm actually kind of o.k with our safety play....not a whole laot happening in the middle of the field...
Except for CC knockin' heads

Quote:
I did. He manhandled his guy a couple times. He had problems a couple times as well, but you can tell he belongs.

Re: Jacques Reeves - the worst part is that I don't see anything special about the guy. Molden played well, even though he got beat on the long pass. Reeves acquitted himself OK on a couple plays, but he seems like just another guy, at best. At worst, he seems like just another Faggins. Ugh.

I was OK with Chris Brown tonight. He didn't wow me, but he was steady, he took what yards were there, and he drove the pile. If he could stay healthy, I feel like he and Slaton could make a decent tandem. Taylor does nothing for me.
Old 08-17-2008   #31
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I would too.

Too bad football careers don't operate in a two game vaccum...
What two game vaccum......Walter has been coming up with big catches since he was inserted into the lineup and this is Jones' second season and it looks like he's regressed. Since the end of last year's preseason he's regressed.

Potential is great and all, but in the NFL (unlike MLB or the NBA) with only a 53 man roster you can't just stash guys away just because they have potential. Jocoby's potential is only going to keep him around for so long........if he wants to stay on this team he needs to start showing he's on his way of reaching some of that potential.

- Edmund Burke
Old 08-17-2008   #32
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
What two game vaccum......Walter has been coming up with big catches since he was inserted into the lineup and this is Jones' second season and it looks like he's regressed. Since the end of last year's preseason he's regressed.

Potential is great and all, but in the NFL (unlike MLB or the NBA) with only a 53 man roster you can't just stash guys away just because they have potential. Jocoby's potential is only going to keep him around for so long........if he wants to stay on this team he needs to start showing he's on his way of reaching some of that potential.

This is silly.

Had Jacoby come out and returned six punts for TD's in these two games the common thought would be..."It's just pre-season"...And with good reason...

Now that he's had some trouble holding onto the ball it's ok to read into the "pre-season"....Some folks tend to look at the negatives and run with them, some folks the positive...

Really I'm not trying to do either...I'm not saying he will or won't get better...All I said is that a guy with the kind of talent he has shouldn't be written off just yet....
Old 08-17-2008   #33
Polo

The game is replaying now...
Old 08-17-2008   #34
Polo

I was out eating when the game was live...The re-play is on ch. 13 now and I actually see a lot of positives...

I'm most impressed with the improved red zone play...
Old 08-17-2008   #35
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The game is replaying now...
nevermind....
Old 08-17-2008   #36
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'm no longer going to bother dignifying "Sage should start" posts with a response. The difference between the two guys is like night and day and the people who can't see that aren't really people whose opinions on the game I value. There's nothing wrong with Sage but if you think he should start over Matt then I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Schaub looked real good ..... the one throw I didnt like from him resulted in a TD (the one to Leach). Sage is what he is , a very good back-up . Brink had a good series or two himself , that play-fake he made to the RB on the fumbled end around was very slick . Easy to see why Kubiak and Smith took the kid .

I cant wait to see the offense with AJ . This team will be fun to watch this year .

Quote:
Jacoby Jones doesn't really need to make this football team. There's nothing particularly special about him and I think the Texans are starting to figure that out. He had an exciting preseason last year but he was a guy playing above his head and that's obvious now. Today he's an unfocused liability with speed and that makes him Jerome Mathis with a better disposition. Barring a sudden attack of maturity he's not worth a roster spot.

Thats exactly his problem ..... I mentioned in another thread that he pretty much embarrassed himself tonight in front of his family , friends and hometown fans . Maybe this game does him some good long term as he can reflect upon the embarrassment and maybe come back working harder and getting his head on straight.

The fumble on the end around was charged to Brink but it was JJ that muffed the play .

Quote:
Jacques Reeves sure is living down to his billing as "toast". After watching him in two games I'm starting to think that if we're going to have to watch a corner get burned a bunch of times then we might as well throw Molden out there and let him get the experience. He'll get good sooner than Reeves will I suspect and according to Richard Smith (via a conversation Bob Allen spoke of) he doesn't get down himself when he gets beat but comes back over and over again. In a Richard Smith defense that's a valuable attribute because with the kind of pressure we usually bring (and have brought in two straight preseason games) our corners should get beaten regularly.

Where was Faggins while "J.Toast" was stinkin up the place ? He reminded me of .... P.Burnt. Yeah , I'd rather run Faggins out there than Reeves ....

Quote:

I was not thrilled with the running game (again) but I think Slaton looked ok. I wasn't impressed with anyone else and wonder if Taylor will even make the team. He looks a step behind everyone and very hesitant to me (and then every few plays he blows up for no apparent reason). I think the year off with the injury really hurt whatever progress he had made. Brown wasn't impressive at all and looked like a guy who we've signed one season too late. Watching them interview Ahman Green and hearing him say "I don't know when I'll be back" was some infuriation stuff. I just don't want to see him again until he's lined up behind Schaub and ready to work. I can accept that we're going to have to watch this crap play out again this year but I don't want to have to listen to him hem and haw about how he's feeling or when he'll return. He's not that good an interview to begin with. No need to drag him out every preseason game and speculate about when he'll not have a pull/bruise/bo-bo/owie and be ready to go.
Slaton did a good job picking up the blitz which was my biggest concern for him coming in . He also ran much harder than I expected between the tackles . I look forward to seeing him get some time with the first string .

As for Green .... I wish they would cut the guy and admit it was a failed experiment . He wasnt all that impressive last year when he was healthy , take out the one nice gain he had in the Chiefs game last season and he wasnt even average .

Taylor had one real nice run and not much else .

Brown was un-impressive .... Another week of practice may help him .

I'd like to see Walker get an opportunity at RB ...

Duane Brown has looked good thus far , Next week against the Cowpies will be a good barometer for him .... DeMarcus Ware will be a good test and considering its the 3rd preseason game its as close as we will come to seeing him in a meaningful situation as can be expected until week 1 @ Pittsburgh.

David Anderson has played his way onto this team . He's easily the #4 WR on this roster .

The pass rush has me concerned .... again. I know its only preseason and teams dont show much nor do they blitz a whole lot ..... But they have to do a better job , Brees and Brunell had all day to throw tonight .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #37
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
This is silly.

Had Jacoby come out and returned six punts for TD's in these two games the common thought would be..."It's just pre-season"...And with good reason...

Now that he's had some trouble holding onto the ball it's ok to read into the "pre-season"....Some folks tend to look at the negatives and run with them, some folks the positive...
If my Aunt had balls.......well you know how it goes.

There isn't anything silly about it...it's actually silly to sit there and act like his poor play doesn't mean anything (or on the flip side, positive plays doesn't mean anything). This is the preseason, it's a lengthy job interview....the players that make a impact and big plays get a job and the ones that don't are in danger of not being hired. Some people will tell you "the preseason doesn't mean anything" but that is just a load of bull. Go ask someone like David Anderson (who has probably solidified himself ahead of Jacoby Jones on the depth chart) if the preason means anything.

Quote:
Really I'm not trying to do either...I'm not saying he will or won't get better...All I said is that a guy with the kind of talent he has shouldn't be written off just yet....
I never said I was writing him off, I'm just speaking the truth......and the truth is, that if your a 4th stringer who is forming a habit of putting the ball on the ground, who is also moving down on the depth chart instead of up it....you tend to get on the coaches shit list regardless of how much talent you have. (This isn't Capers' Texans, there will be good players cut from this team)

There are mid-late round receivers with Jacoby like potential that come out every year. He will probably stick on the roster this season in that 5th string WR spot, but unless he really turns it on, I wouldn't expect him to be on the team much longer after that.

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 08-17-2008 at 02:55 AM.
Old 08-17-2008   #38
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

where was D. Walker last night?
Old 08-17-2008   #39
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I noticed Diles was everywhere and Bennett was not mentioned often, has no problem doing some jawing with others and looks like he did some weight lifting work.

I have no problem with the Safety work. Duane Brown will be solid.

The offensive playbook came alive. The offensive line will be a strength this year.
Old 08-17-2008   #40
forcefollow
Rookie

Rep Power: 230 forcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respected

O line was great
QBs were great
WRs were good
RBs were terrible outside of Slaton

Dline brought no pressure.
DBs got shreaded by Brees.

Jacoby should be cut, Ahman Green and Taylor need to be cut. Simmons needs to make the team.
forcefollow is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read