Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-16-2008   #1
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 267781 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Here's what I learned tonight.

I'm no longer going to bother dignifying "Sage should start" posts with a response. The difference between the two guys is like night and day and the people who can't see that aren't really people whose opinions on the game I value. There's nothing wrong with Sage but if you think he should start over Matt then I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Jacoby Jones doesn't really need to make this football team. There's nothing particularly special about him and I think the Texans are starting to figure that out. He had an exciting preseason last year but he was a guy playing above his head and that's obvious now. Today he's an unfocused liability with speed and that makes him Jerome Mathis with a better disposition. Barring a sudden attack of maturity he's not worth a roster spot.

Jacques Reeves sure is living down to his billing as "toast". After watching him in two games I'm starting to think that if we're going to have to watch a corner get burned a bunch of times then we might as well throw Molden out there and let him get the experience. He'll get good sooner than Reeves will I suspect and according to Richard Smith (via a conversation Bob Allen spoke of) he doesn't get down himself when he gets beat but comes back over and over again. In a Richard Smith defense that's a valuable attribute because with the kind of pressure we usually bring (and have brought in two straight preseason games) our corners should get beaten regularly.

I was not thrilled with the running game (again) but I think Slaton looked ok. I wasn't impressed with anyone else and wonder if Taylor will even make the team. He looks a step behind everyone and very hesitant to me (and then every few plays he blows up for no apparent reason). I think the year off with the injury really hurt whatever progress he had made. Brown wasn't impressive at all and looked like a guy who we've signed one season too late. Watching them interview Ahman Green and hearing him say "I don't know when I'll be back" was some infuriation stuff. I just don't want to see him again until he's lined up behind Schaub and ready to work. I can accept that we're going to have to watch this crap play out again this year but I don't want to have to listen to him hem and haw about how he's feeling or when he'll return. He's not that good an interview to begin with. No need to drag him out every preseason game and speculate about when he'll not have a pull/bruise/bo-bo/owie and be ready to go.
Old 08-16-2008   #2
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Here's what I learned tonight.

I agree about Matt. If he can stay healthy, he will bring us the Lombardi.... eventually. Our passing attack is shaping up to be one of the top five in the league IMO.

I hope Jacoby finds a way to stay on the team (by holding onto the ball, and in general just playing better). I just don't know how he could do that if he continues to struggle, especially with Anderson's play.

Slaton did very well.... I even saw him making some good blocks in this game. If he continues to improve he will see a good number of touches this season.
Old 08-16-2008   #3
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Duane Brow is going to cause this passing game to jump to elite status. It was so nice to get to see Schaub not have to worry about his blindside and see him pick apart the Saints defense all game long.

If Slaton can return punts Jacoby better kick it into overdrive because he'll have to fight for every inch to keep his spot on the team. If Slaton returns punts I doubt he suits up on Sundays if he makes the team.
Old 08-16-2008   #4
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'm no longer going to bother dignifying "Sage should start" posts with a response.
Interesting.

Looking forward to watching the game later this week since I am in LA and couldn't see it live.

I thought Schaub's wasn't that special against the Broncos last week and I was getting a little concerned.

Sounds like a good news though...
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #5
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not ready to completely dismiss our entire running game besides Slaton. I want to see how the backs do when our cut block scheme is finally down smooth.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #6
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
Interesting.

Looking forward to watching the game later this week since I am in LA and couldn't see it live.

I thought Schaub's wasn't that special against the Broncos last week and I was getting a little concerned.

Schaub did just fine against the Broncos, except for when he tried to force it in the red zone. If that had been intercepted (which it probably should have), it would have been 6 for Denver.

That said, he was right on the dot tonight. The guy is a winner.
Old 08-16-2008   #7
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Interesting.

Schaub looked a 100 times better tonight than he did vs the Broncos. He also had a little more playing time.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-16-2008   #8
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Interesting.

You gotta keep in mind that he targeted the left field like 90% of the time, which was Jason David side. Jason David....he's the equivalent to Jacques Reeves or even Demarcus Faggins. Next week should be a big test for Schuab though. He's going to go against Hamlin, Newman, Pacman, Henry, and rookie 1st round pick, Jenkins.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 267781 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah and he seemed to get better as he got more settled in. I think he might just really be special. Can't be sure at this point but it's nice to see some signs that point to good things.

I'd like to add one more thing to my first post. Morlon Greenwood is done here. He'll stick around because we're not deep there but he just seems like he's crossed the Jamie Sharper/Jay Foreman barrier and looks a step slower and a little less aware of what's going on around him than he was last season. I've always felt that he was grossly over paid by the last regime but I also always said that at least he could play unlike some of the other free agents Charlie Casserly dug up. At times he even looks good. I think this season he's going to be a huge liability on his side and by the end of the year we're going to cussing him regularly (those of us who aren't already doing that I mean).
Old 08-16-2008   #10
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100466 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Our run defense has been craptastic. Kubes better get that fixed or this team is easily going to go 1-5 in the division again (or worse....Tenn and Jax are two of the best rushing teams in the leauge).

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #11
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Yeah and he seemed to get better as he got more settled in. I think he might just really be special. Can't be sure at this point but it's nice to see some signs that point to good things.

I'd like to add one more thing to my first post. Morlon Greenwood is done here. He'll stick around because we're not deep there but he just seems like he's crossed the Jamie Sharper/Jay Foreman barrier and looks a step slower and a little less aware of what's going on around him than he was last season. I've always felt that he was grossly over paid by the last regime but I also always said that at least he could play unlike some of the other free agents Charlie Casserly dug up. At times he even looks good. I think this season he's going to be a huge liability on his side and by the end of the year we're going to cussing him regularly (those of us who aren't already doing that I mean).
Greenwood is going to be a 2 down LB by season's end. He is a liability in coverage and Adibi will take that job from him at some point.
Old 08-16-2008   #12
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I made a post in the Jacoby thread about "Knee Jerk" reactions.

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, I just wanted to put it out here for everyone to see and evaluate my thoughts.

"On "knee jerk reactions"
Quote:
Cases from last year.

Owens fumbles. I've never been down on his fumbles last year because they were very iffy, yet people started believing he had trouble holding onto the ball.

Babin was a bust. Was he worth the draft picks and $$ given for him? No, Was he our second best DE by the end of preseason last year? Arguably yes, especially when it came to pass rushing. But its hard for people to overlook what Casserly gave for him.

JJ will be a rookie sensation and will crack the starting lineup by week 3. It didn't work out that way, and the more level headed of the posters here were quick to point out Walters great hands and exceptional blocking would keep him in the starting lineup, and who knew Andre Davis would break out like that?

Those were things from last year that I define as "Knee Jerk". Similar things I'm seeing this year are.

1. Reeves is our goat.
2. JJ won't make the team/doesn't deserve to
3. Our running game is doomed

on 1. Reeves coverage has been at least decent (I think its been a little better then decent, but I'll go with just at least decent for now) So he got punked by Reggie twice. On one play he forced him to the sideline, and on the other he ducked his head and completely missed him (... dumbass). BUT, at least he was trying to make plays on those short swing passes that have been killing us regularly for the past few years (and last game against denver) I view that as a positive, also he wasn't that noticebly beaten on the deeper routes.

on 2. 90% of the flack he's receiving right now is based on his punt returns. But if the coaches get the opinion that JJ is a liability on returns now, guess what, they'll look somewhere else. I'd rather this all get resoved in the preseason then through the first few weeks of the regular season. The thing is, we KNOW JJ can play at the WR position. Take out the return factor and he's at worst, serviceable.

on 3. Our running game might well be doomed. But ... When AJ gets back teams will back off our line a little bit. We've already been witnessing people not respecting KW, AD, and DAnderson. Think that will happen with AJ? 10 to 1 that SS won't be crowding the box in the regular season. People will start to take notice of our passing attack, and if they don't then it will be time to adopt the philosophy of passing to set up the run.

The things I'm concerned about so far.
1. The linebackers, mostly the depth and Marlon Greenwood
2. Pass Rush, hopefully will get better with stunts and more packages
3. Punts ... ok I'm not concerned with punts, but I want to see Turk run the ball at least 1 more tim
Brandon420tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #13
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Schaub looked a 100 times better tonight than he did vs the Broncos. He also had a little more playing time.
yes he did
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #14
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100466 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
I made a post in the Jacoby thread about "Knee Jerk" reactions.

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, I just wanted to put it out here for everyone to see and evaluate my thoughts.

"On "knee jerk reactions"

Quote:
Those were things from last year that I define as "Knee Jerk". Similar things I'm seeing this year are.

1. Reeves is our goat.
2. JJ won't make the team/doesn't deserve to
3. Our running game is doomed

on 1. Reeves coverage has been at least decent (I think its been a little better then decent, but I'll go with just at least decent for now)
Really, what game were you watching? Reeves was getting picked on in passing situations and then got ran over by RBs and TEs/WRs when he tried to come up to make tackles.

He played like crap, there is no way to sugar coat it.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #15
Polo

Schaub looked about as good against the Saints as he did last year...

I think Schaub is the guy, but I will really feel good aabout him when I see him perform against a team with a really good D...
Old 08-17-2008   #16
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Schaub looked about as good against the Saints as he did last year...

I think Schaub is the guy, but I will really feel good aabout him when I see him perform against a team with a really good D...
Well, he didn't have AJ this game...
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #17
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Greenwood is going to be a 2 down LB by season's end. He is a liability in coverage and Adibi will take that job from him at some point.
How did Adibi fare today? I don't remember seeing him but I didn't watch the entire game either.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #18
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

As far as I know, Adibi didn't play.

as for CBs question.

Reeves wasn't burned deep, and there are just some pass routes that you can't be all over all the time, like hitches for example. Passes will get completed, I know its hard to accept that, but as long as he doesn't give up huge gains and yards after catch I'd consider him nickel/dime material. The problem is, we have no one to take the #2 spot untill Molden matures in the NFL more or Fletcher takes over the spot. (I'm really hoping Fletcher takes over the spot)

I want to make it clear that I'm not advocating Reeves the supreme ruler of the universe. Just stating his criticism is a little harsh. So far, only Bennet, Fletcher, Adibi, and Reeves has (to me) shown willingness to stop the short swing/screen passes on the outside. (oh yeah Demps too)

Last edited by Brandon420tx; 08-17-2008 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Added Demps
Brandon420tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #19
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Well, he didn't have AJ this game...
We don't have to see him throwing to AJ to evaluate his individual performance...
Old 08-17-2008   #20
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

It's just preseason. That's all i think i need to say.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read