Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-17-2008   #41
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209048 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jacoby Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Yes. An end-around. NFL.com credited Brink with hit but I'm not so sure. I want to see the replay.

But from what the announcers said, it was a sure TD. Everyone flowed to the run fake and he had open field ahead of him.
That fumble was all on JJ , Brink hit him square between the numbers with the hand-off . I watched the replay probably a dozen times .... Brink's play fake to the RB was also damn slick .

Not only the fumble on the hand-off but JJ muffed another punt that lead to NO's first field goal . I almost expected Kubiak to pull the plug on JJ for the night right then and there . Fortunately for JJ he got a couple return chances in the second half .

I came away pretty impressed by Brink overall and can see why Kubiak & Smith drafted the kid . Its going to be interesting to see how the QB spot shakes out between Brink and Boyd.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #42
2BCF
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24608 2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
Sheesh, call off the dogs, they'll get this sorted out before the first game.
LOL, tend to agree. Hopefully he gets all the botched plays out of his system during the preseason.
2BCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #43
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Pre season phenom turned dud.

I'd be all for a player that wants to learn and that is playing. #86 Williams deserves the roster spot for his special teams play over Jacoby Jones.

Yes, I know its only the 2nd preseason game. But we learned our lessons with Mathis too. Play someone that actually contributes.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #44
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209048 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Pre season phenom turned dud.

I'd be all for a player that wants to learn and that is playing. #86 Williams deserves the roster spot for his special teams play over Jacoby Jones.

Yes, I know its only the 2nd preseason game. But we learned our lessons with Mathis too. Play someone that actually contributes.
Williams has looked awful good when he's had the opportunity and his ST play has been outstanding . Simmons #13 looked solid tonight as well . (Sage's first pass sliding between three defenders comes to mind)

Back to JJ .... Maybe he needed a game like this to bring him back down to earth (Underground is more like it). We all know he wanted to shine tonight being the first time he's played in NO since his highschool days and he pretty much embarrassed himself ..... Maybe he learns from this game and comes away working harder than before and gets it together mentally (no more DWI's) .... A game like that can make ya think hard and long . The question is does it make JJ think long and hard .

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #45
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

What he should have done is thrown the ball away when he miffed the handoff. That is legal, no?
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #46
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Everyone on Jacoby just needs to relax. In the long run, we'll see what happens. Long run, I am referring to an entire season...

One game doesn't make or break or player.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #47
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

He should not field another punt, he is an absolute liability. He was drafted to be a WR and needs to make the team as one.

We all know there are going to be some tough cuts and Jacoby's not a guarantee based on his performance, and others, over the last 18 games in my opinion.
Old 08-17-2008   #48
Dancerdog
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 Dancerdog was voted MVPDancerdog was voted MVPDancerdog was voted MVP

I believe JJ's problems are several in nature.

1. Last night, in front of his relatives and friends, he was trying to make too much happen and got flustered. Once he messed up with the first punt, he couldn't get his head back on straight. I'm not sure confidence can be coached.

2. His late night exploits are not in the best interest of his football career. People generally don't get a DUI the first time they drive drunk. They come after numerous times. I'm not saying it couldn't be a fluke, just that the odds are against it. He needs to stay out of the bars and on the practice field and in the weight room.

3. I think he will get his game together (fingers crossed) and be a great player one day. With his natural talent, the sky's the limit.

C'mon Jacoby. We're all rooting for you. Show us what you can really accomplish in the NFL>
Dancerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #49
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1158 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleytexfan View Post
OK what happens now? Nothing? A serious talking-to? what you all think?
Jacoby Jones has to much talent for us to even say the word cut. What I see is a hyperactive guy that is trying to hard. All of his problems seem happen when he is returning punts. I say just take that away from him for awhile because with his size and speed he can focus on being a serious threat a cris henry (without the off the field problems). I think Jacoby needs to calm down and when he makes a catch...act like you just made a game winning play. Calm down young man and focus....JJ might want to watch the way Andre and Andre and Walter carry themselves. I think everyone wants so bad for this guy to do good but, he has to calm down some. Jacoby reminds me of another show off that we had in houston that really went on to be one of the crowd favorites...Chris Dishman..mah man..lol
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #50
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

to much talent to let go, get him off PR and work him more as a WR
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #51
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I hope so.

I'm afraid he has the football equivalent of the yips. Like Chuck Knoblauch throwing to first base. Rick Ankiel pitching. Shaq and free throws. What expert archers call "target panic."

It's the opposite of being in the zone. You have so much going on in your head, you lose confidence and trust in everything you do. Sometimes it is just trying too hard, and not just doing and being.

The bad thing about this is though sometimes players can work through it, sometimes it can't be coached out.

It's a horrible horrible feeling to have. I feel so bad for the guy.

I agree. Further, it isn't Jacoby Jones who is the villain here. It's Gary Kubiak. They knew what they had when they drafted the guy and they pressed him into service. They were desperate for a "playmaker" and they couldn't give him the time he needed to develop. They threw him to the wolves. It isn't Jacoby Jones' fault that the Texans had four rose fertilizer drafts in a row before he got here. Now the are caught. Are they out of time with him or do they give him the time he needs to slay the dragons in his head ? It isn't physical. It's mental. Only thing ludicrous here is expecting a raw guy to preform like a high end guy out of a big school. They pushed him and now it's blown up in their face. They lose J.J. a decent "B" draft turns into a "D" draft.
Old 08-17-2008   #52
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 290661 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

After reading all the comments, here am I with a split mind again. Sometimes I wish I was closed minded to go along with my old age, it's such a perfect fit. LOL

I agree with the comments about keeping JJ and helping him along, I also agree he's hurting more than helping us right now. He needs to get his head into the game, and the coaches need to earn their pay and help him do that.

For the time being, I'm gonna stay pissed off at JJ until he gets his act togeather. I'm gonna cheer him on to help however. As if talking to your TV ever helps anything.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #53
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 287880 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
They lose J.J. a decent "B" draft turns into a "D" draft.
No way you said that. That's ridiculous.

1. Amobi Okoye - Starting DT, set our rookie sack record.
2. Half of Matt Schaub.
3. Jacoby Jones - Talented but may not make the team in his second year.
4. Fred Bennett - Starting CB.
5. Brandon Harrison - Backup S, may or may not make the team in his second year.
6. Kasey Studdard - Backup G.
7. Zac Diles - Starting OLB.

With or without Jones, that's a helluva draft.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #54
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 79918 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree. Further, it isn't Jacoby Jones who is the villain here. It's Gary Kubiak. They knew what they had when they drafted the guy and they pressed him into service. They were desperate for a "playmaker" and they couldn't give him the time he needed to develop. They threw him to the wolves.
Time to develop into a punt returner? Isn't that what you do with speedy receivers while they develop.
Old 08-17-2008   #55
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 290661 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
No way you said that. That's ridiculous.

1. Amobi Okoye - Starting DT, set our rookie sack record.
2. Half of Matt Schaub.
3. Jacoby Jones - Talented but may not make the team in his second year.
4. Fred Bennett - Starting CB.
5. Brandon Harrison - Backup S, may or may not make the team in his second year.
6. Kasey Studdard - Backup G.
7. Zac Diles - Starting OLB.

With or without Jones, that's a helluva draft.
Yes it is a good draft with or without him. But I have a feeling JJ will make the team. If he doesn't, well, we've got plenty of good recievers without him. But we do need a good punt returner then.

Old 08-17-2008   #56
bollocks
Veteran

Jacoby Jones is digging himself a rather large hole. First it was that second game against Tennessee and now we have two horrid performances in a row this preseason. You're foolish if you honestly believe that Jones is safe because he is a talented player. I'm willing to see what he can do for the rest of the preseason, but it's quickly looking like he isn't NFL caliber.
Old 08-17-2008   #57
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree. Further, it isn't Jacoby Jones who is the villain here. It's Gary Kubiak. They knew what they had when they drafted the guy and they pressed him into service. They were desperate for a "playmaker" and they couldn't give him the time he needed to develop. They threw him to the wolves. It isn't Jacoby Jones' fault that the Texans had four rose fertilizer drafts in a row before he got here. Now the are caught. Are they out of time with him or do they give him the time he needs to slay the dragons in his head ? It isn't physical. It's mental. Only thing ludicrous here is expecting a raw guy to preform like a high end guy out of a big school. They pushed him and now it's blown up in their face. They lose J.J. a decent "B" draft turns into a "D" draft.
How is Kubiak's fault? He didn't put JJ as a #1 or #2 WR the entire year last year. He had him returning punts. That's it. How is that rushing a guy? As a 3rd round pick, the Texans had to play him some. You can't leave a guy like that on the bench. I don't think the Texans expected him to become a star or a blooming player overnight. I think that may have been fan expectation coming off last year's preseason. But as for his actual role with the team in 2007 I don't see any evidence that the Texans and Kubiak pressed him into service. Becoming a #4 wideout and returning punts is not being pressed into service.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #58
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
How is Kubiak's fault? He didn't put JJ as a #1 or #2 WR the entire year last year. He had him returning punts. That's it. How is that rushing a guy? As a 3rd round pick, the Texans had to play him some. You can't leave a guy like that on the bench. I don't think the Texans expected him to become a star or a blooming player overnight. I think that may have been fan expectation coming off last year's preseason. But as for his actual role with the team in 2007 I don't see any evidence that the Texans and Kubiak pressed him into service. Becoming a #4 wideout and returning punts is not being pressed into service.
This is the type of disaster that could come back and bit us in the arse for eight to ten years. He was on the field a lot. He touched the ball a lot. After the shoulder was injured they didn't shut him down....which is what Tony Dungy or a mature NFL coach should of done....they (Kubiak) pressed him to produce. And even a blind man could of saw it after Hunter Smith slung him out of bounds...he was done. It's one thing now to say the guy is dung....but don't tell me now one knew....they all knew...go back and look at the quotes when they drafted him...Gary Kubiak mismanaged Jacoby Jones...that's the bottom line here.

It was Kubiak's responsibility to bring the guy back this summer and he failed.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 08-17-2008 at 02:35 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #59
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
It's was Kubiak's responsibility to bring the guy back this summer and he failed.
You make some good points, but, the real point is neither your or I are good enough to be an NFL coach, which is why we are doing something else for a living.

Kubiak has proven himself to be an NFL coach. He isn't perfect, but he's doing a hell of a lot better job that you and I are sitting on the couch and judging him.

Old 08-17-2008   #60
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Well thorn you can only bust out so many top end picks before you're swimming with the sharks. I don't hold anyone responsible for taking the chance on the guy. The roster was what it was when they got there. I do expect Kubiak to own up when he spits the bit. And clearly in this case he did. Worse case scenario....Dungy grabs him when he hits the waiver wire...fixes him and we're looking at J.J.'s arse for the next eight years.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read