Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-16-2008   #21
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68181 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: David Anderson

This is more about Jacoby than Anderson (who I agree has an awful haircut).
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Still got a couple more preseason games to go, but right now DA looks like he's on the roster.
BTW, LZ said in his blog that Jacobey J. may not make the roster if he doesn't pick it up in the balance of preseason. He really needs to hang onto the ball. I dunno, would they really cut last years 3rd round pick this soon ?
The practice squad eligibility is interesting. Was Jacoby not on the roster for 9 games or whatever the minimum was? If Jones continues to run with the football held extended out from his body, he will not be our punt returner this year. Turnovers absolutely killed us last year (though it was arguably more our failure to cause them then our propensity to give it away), and the coaches will not stand for it. They have stated repeatedly that this is something they've been going over, that they've told him before, etc. He was one of the few players Kubiak called out by name (number actually) after the game.

There is no value in a punt returner who can't hold on to the ball. I don't care how many great moves you make. If you can't hold the ball properly, or if you can't tell when to call a fair catch and just wait for the next series, then you won't have a job as an NFL punt returner for long.

That being said, I do agree that he is a better option for 5 than any of the other guys. But he is no lock to be our punt returner. Just as an example, Steve Slaton showed that he is taking his job with the rock very seriously, in several cases sacrificing a chance to get fancy and gain a few more yards. If Slaton can continue to show that he will hold on to the freakin' ball, than Kubes & Co will start him at PR of Jones. And I for one would be fine with it.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #22
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
This is more about Jacoby than Anderson (who I agree has an awful haircut).

The practice squad eligibility is interesting. Was Jacoby not on the roster for 9 games or whatever the minimum was? If Jones continues to run with the football held extended out from his body, he will not be our punt returner this year. Turnovers absolutely killed us last year (though it was arguably more our failure to cause them then our propensity to give it away), and the coaches will not stand for it. They have stated repeatedly that this is something they've been going over, that they've told him before, etc. He was one of the few players Kubiak called out by name (number actually) after the game.

There is no value in a punt returner who can't hold on to the ball. I don't care how many great moves you make. If you can't hold the ball properly, or if you can't tell when to call a fair catch and just wait for the next series, then you won't have a job as an NFL punt returner for long.

That being said, I do agree that he is a better option for 5 than any of the other guys. But he is no lock to be our punt returner. Just as an example, Steve Slaton showed that he is taking his job with the rock very seriously, in several cases sacrificing a chance to get fancy and gain a few more yards. If Slaton can continue to show that he will hold on to the freakin' ball, than Kubes & Co will start him at PR of Jones. And I for one would be fine with it.
I don't think he's eligible for the PS, and even if he was, he wouldn't last very long. He'd be signed to another team in no time.......can't put guys like that on the practice squad.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #23
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101586 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Really how can anybody knock the mullet.........it's fing AWESOME.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlgZPBvEcXw

David Anderson > than the Boz

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 08-16-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #24
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX View Post
I don't think he's eligible for the PS, and even if he was, he wouldn't last very long. He'd be signed to another team in no time.......can't put guys like that on the practice squad.
Agreed.
Old 08-16-2008   #25
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well Jacoby sure started off strong didn't he? /sarcasm

Still don't think we should cut him... but I don't feel comfortable with him fielding punts. He may have just lost those privaleges.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #26
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Dudes a beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #27
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

This offense will be dangerous in a 4 WR spread with both Andres, Walter and Anderson. Toss Slaton into the backfield and you have some awesome possibilities.

I am extremely impressed with David and I doubt that Jacoby will be in front of him on the depth chart come game one.
Old 08-16-2008   #28
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Really how can anybody knock the mullet.........it's fing AWESOME.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlgZPBvEcXw

David Anderson > than the Boz
He says he is going to cut the hair when the season starts. Given his Welker/Chrebet sort of offseason/preseason, he needs to keep rocking the hair.

/Not saying that hair should make football decisions.

//Afraid of jinxes.

///Do not interview Rick Smith about running back depth during a game or else bad stuff happens to running backs.

////It is bad living your life worried about sports jinxes. There are too many rules.

/////Just wanted to go to five slashies.
Old 08-16-2008   #29
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX View Post
Sure you can and if the get signed by another team you can find guys like that all over the place.

Real fast, exciting to watch, sometimes catches the ball, puts the rock on the ground regularly. I can find you 2-3 guys like that in no time at all. Rick Smith probably has a dozen of them in his rolodex. Jerome Mathis isn't working and he's been to a Pro Bowl. Apart from his stupidity (which wouldn't slow anybody else in the NFL in need of his services down) he IS Jacoby Jones at this point in his career. The whole idea with Jacoby is that he'd grow beyond this crap. He hasn't and that makes him very common.

I keep Anderson over Jacoby without hesitation at this point.
Old 08-16-2008   #30
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209048 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

Me too .... I think Anderson is damn near a lock to make the final 53 with the way he has played so far . JJ has lost ground to the point I wonder if he even makes the team , Kubiak doesnt take to people putting the ball on the ground . Its pretty important for JJ to have good practice and games the next two weeks . M.Simmons (#13) looked real good tonight as did Harry Williams on coverage teams .

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #31
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion View Post
Me too .... I think Anderson is damn near a lock to make the final 53 with the way he has played so far . JJ has lost ground to the point I wonder if he even makes the team , Kubiak doesnt take to people putting the ball on the ground . Its pretty important for JJ to have good practice and games the next two weeks . M.Simmons (#13) looked real good tonight as did Harry Williams on coverage teams .
Anderson can also return punts. At least he did for a few times last season I believe.

He kind of reminds me of Owen Daniels except he's quicker and faster. He's not afraid of contact it seems and is a physical wide receiver.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #32
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209048 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Anderson can also return punts. At least he did for a few times last season I believe.

He kind of reminds me of Owen Daniels except he's quicker and faster. He's not afraid of contact it seems and is a physical wide receiver.
Yeah , I almost expect to see Anderson return punts against the Cowpies .... But I think that they will give JJ at least one more shot to earn his spot .

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #33
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115757 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I am really taking a liking to this guy. Where did Anderson come from?

He seems like he might have a lot of potential to help us out in the slot this year. He seems physical and like a guy that will really work hard on every down from what I've seen so far. He reminded me of Welker a little bit, and might be able to really help us on 3rd down plays when we need to move the chains.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #34
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

He was a seventh round draft pick a couple of years ago. I think Colston was still available but I could be wrong.
Old 08-18-2008   #35
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad View Post
He was a seventh round draft pick a couple of years ago. I think Colston was still available but I could be wrong.
I believe we picked him 1 pick before the Saints picked Colston.

Anyway, DA is looking like the poor man's Wes Welker.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #36
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad View Post
He was the pick right before colston
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #37
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I think Smithiak keeps them both. I'd say the only hesitation is weather or not to keep Williams as a 6th.

if my numbers are right:

3 QB's
5 RB's
3 TE's
9 OL's
6 WR's

3 ST's

8 DL's
6 LB's
8 DB's

I think that's only 51 so I could see them keeping 6 so they can "develop" Jones.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #38
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I think Smithiak keeps them both. I'd say the only hesitation is weather or not to keep Williams as a 6th.

if my numbers are right:

3 QB's
5 RB's
3 TE's
9 OL's
6 WR's

3 ST's

8 DL's
6 LB's
8 DB's

I think that's only 51 so I could see them keeping 6 so they can "develop" Jones.
5 RB's without a separate category for FB's makes that kinda slim. At least 6 RB's.

But I think 6 WR's is doable. Gonna make some hard cuts, though.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #39
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post

if my numbers are right:

3 QB's
5 RB's
3 TE's
9 OL's
6 WR's

3 ST's

8 DL's
6 LB's
8 DB's

Entirely possible. The only thing I keep coming back to is this "idea" people seem to have that Jacoby Jones is somehow "Special" or "Gifted". Why? Because the Texans said he was last year when he was their 3rd round rookie in a draft class that had much steak but very little sizzle to sell? The Texans tell you somebody is special every single year. The Texans tell us hurt guys are going to be playing next week and all kinds of other BS all the time. Jacoby Jones is a very common guy in the NFL IF he stays as erratic as he's been the last few weeks.

Where I'm going with this is that in the past David Anderson doesn't make this team because he's not lightning fast and he isn't exactly as tall as he's supposed to be to play WR in the NFL. Jacoby Jones does make the team because he's got measurables. In the past we let football players walk because workout warriors and guys with measurable physical ability looked good in shorts. Today we don't seem to do that and that makes me a happy fan. I WANT Jacoby Jones to pull his head out of his fourth point of contact and grow. I WANT him to get it together and be great. I just don't confuse his skill set with Jerry Rice's just because he's from a small school and plays WR. Granted Jerry Rice wasn't "Jerry Rice" when he came into the NFL. He had the will and dedication to make himself into "Jerry Rice". Without it he would have been nobody.

Renaldo Nehemiah looked a lot like Jerry Rice during the preseason too at times but he was just Renaldo Nehemiah. A fast guy who didn't catch so good and who ran sloppy routes.
Old 08-18-2008   #40
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

David Anderson is a testament to our WRs coach Larry Kirksey's ability to develop players. He's improved every year since he's been with the team. As has Kevin Walter, plus he made Andre Davis who was bouncing around the league into a legitimate playmaker.

He's an unsung hero to this franchise, last year was his first year here. When he came in we didn't know if we'd have a viable option next to AJ, now we're wondering whether we should keep 5 or 6 WRs because we've got so many options.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read