Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-15-2008   #1
headsplint
All Pro

Rep Power: 1332 headsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Sorry, Osi; Mario's just warming up

I posted this on the other board, but you guys should see it to! Great Article.

I don't know if you guys remember the top 50 players list that came out placing Mario at #6, and a couple days later Osi Umenyiora said Mario being that high was ridiculous, anyway apparently he didn't take it well.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10932553

Quote:
There's a feud brewing, even though they play the same position on two teams in two different divisions who won't meet this season.

Williams plays a mean, nasty game on the field, but off it he's laid back and getting him to say anything inflammatory is almost as hard as blocking him. But when Umenyiora's name was brought up, that all changed. Gone was his mild way, replaced by anger that was genuine.

That's because Umenyiora publicly knocked Williams this summer after my CBS Sports.com rankings of the Top 50 players came out. Williams was sixth on that list, opening a lot of eyes, including those of the 42nd-ranked Umenyiora.

Asked on a national radio show what surprised him about my list, Umenyiora said, "Mario Williams at No. 6." He then added, "This guy right here at No. 6 is just absolutely ridiculous."

What bothered Williams most about the comments, which came this summer, is that he saw Umenyiora a couple of days before he made them, and the Giants defensive end said nothing to him about it.

He only shook his hand.

"He's a coward," Williams said. "If he has anything to say to me, he should have said it to my face. You write that."
Old 08-15-2008   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 376122 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sorry, Osi; Mario's just warming up

Quote:
"He's a coward," Williams said. "If he has anything to say to me, he should have said it to my face. You write that."
Man, I wouldn't want Mario mad at me, regardless of how big I was.

I do like that he noticed, though, and the chip is there.
Old 08-15-2008   #3
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Though I think Mario could take him; Mario should know Osi doesn't take from anyone. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.

Last edited by Hervoyel; 08-15-2008 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Please watch your language in the public accessible forums.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #4
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't worry Mario; it's only Osi's Green, rather Brown eyed monster talking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #5
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsplint View Post
I posted this on the other board, but you guys should see it to! Great Article.

I don't know if you guys remember the top 50 players list that came out placing Mario at #6, and a couple days later Osi Umenyiora said Mario being that high was ridiculous, anyway apparently he didn't take it well.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10932553
This is great! Its good to see Mario has this side to him. I hope Osi has a really good year and it motivates Mario to outdo him. Cmon Mario shut this cleveland steamer up.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #6
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Mario should know Osi doesn't take from anyone. lol

No, he gives it to them.

Last edited by Hervoyel; 08-15-2008 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Edited quote
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #7
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

You know, I was thinking about Super Mario possible breaking the single season sack mark but I never wanted to utter it loud. At least not yet, but the writer brings up that very point. I truly do think Strahan's record will fall one day, will Mario be the man to do it? I think so.
Old 08-15-2008   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

First off, this Prisco guy probably never took a snap in his life.
Secondly, it's just like some little punk to egg a couple guys into a fight so
he can watch. In this guys case write about it as he looks for comments.
I'm ready for the season to start.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #9
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3020 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Anything that provides Mario with that little extra motivation is fine by me, but I don't respect Prisco at all for his stir the pot stunt. This has been a complete non-story from the beginning and way too many Texans fans have taken Umenyiora's comments too seriously and entirely out of context.

I was watching Mike and Mike that morning and saw it live. My first reaction was a string of expletives, but Osi's answers made it clear that he wasn't there to give an objective critique of Prisco's rankings but simply to talk about his team and how the Super Bowl champs weren't getting the respect he thinks they deserve.

Everyone needs to chill out about this. Umenyiora did not mean to disrespect Mario but simply laud his Giants teammates and Michael Strahan in particular. I see nothing wrong with this. Mario's play speaks for itself.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

If Mario really takes that to heart and use it as bulletin board material then I am all for it. Any chip on this guys shoulder and it's on.
Old 08-15-2008   #11
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107813 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
First off, this Prisco guy probably never took a snap in his life.
Secondly, it's just like some little punk to egg a couple guys into a fight so
he can watch. In this guys case write about it as he looks for comments.
I'm ready for the season to start.
If you mean he's never played QB, you're probably correct, but when you can provide me a meaningful list of NFL writers who have, then I'll consider criticizing him for it.

As to the question about Umenyiora that Prisco posed to Mario, all I will say is that the specific article ranking Mario #6 generated a thread on this board, and Umenyiora's comment generated it's own thread with almost 100 responses.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=947458&highlight=Prisco#post94745 8

I think asking Mario how he felt about the comments is a rare instance of the national media catering to Texan Fans - even if it serves the dual purpose of attempting to generate interest. I mean c'mon - even if it is self promotion on Prisco's part, why is that so bad?
Old 08-15-2008   #12
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 108383 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Way to go Mario. He sure is going to be fun to watch this season......... KY & Peyton BEWARE !!

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #13
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

You know whats funny? Back when we drafted Mario, people said that even if Mario had a great career, it would still be a mistake to take him over Bush. no matter what, it would always a mistake. I love karma, now Reggie's a bust and Mario is great.

Last edited by J-Russ; 08-15-2008 at 11:39 PM.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #14
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Mario is the premier DE in the NFL.

VY and Bush do NOT look like NFL starters at their position.

Period end of story!!!
Old 08-15-2008   #15
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 7477 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Ask Osi about his $5K chili dogs.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I would rate Mario higher than #6.

http://www.sportsline.com/video/play...rp8dYXZM1TK6CN

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 08-16-2008 at 12:26 AM. Reason: added video
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario at #6 on that list is a bit premature, with Mario you had production last year and tons of potential. I have no doubt in my mind Mario can be top 5 of best players in the nfl but you have to look at at least 3 years of production.

Quote:
One thing I've loved about Mario is while all the attention/publicity/hate that has been given to him, he's always been a class act. This is one of the 1st times he's every really said anything negative about anyone. But I understand where he's coming from since Osi and he were together shortly before these comments. I love the fact that Mario called him out on that- I would hate to see a pissed off Mario.

EDIT: I would LOVE to see a pissed off Mario... just not pissed off at ME.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #18
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Mario at #6 on that list is a bit premature, with Mario you had production last year and tons of potential. I have no doubt in my mind Mario can be top 5 of best players in the nfl but you have to look at at least 3 years of production.

One thing I've loved about Mario is while all the attention/publicity/hate that has been given to him, he's always been a class act. This is one of the 1st times he's every really said anything negative about anyone. But I understand where he's coming from since Osi and he were together shortly before these comments. I love the fact that Mario called him out on that- I would hate to see a pissed off Mario.

EDIT: I would LOVE to see a pissed off Mario... just not pissed off at ME.
I agree with this but I would've liked Mario to say it in a different manner. However if this leads to us having a DE with double digit sacks again and a top 5 defense then I am all for it and let me tell you something Mario. You Should Be in The Top 50 bust of all times.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #19
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I agree with this but I would've liked Mario to say it in a different manner. However if this leads to us having a DE with double digit sacks again and a top 5 defense then I am all for it and let me tell you something Mario. You Should Be in The Top 50 bust of all times.
While I'm sure everybody is different, I think Mario handled that question like a man should. He called out Osi on being a coward who didn't say a word to him a few days before he ripped him on a national radio show. Mario has all the right in the world to call Osi a "coward" and I know if I was in his shoes I probably would've sounded more like Haynesworth than Mario talking about that subject.
Old 08-16-2008   #20
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

geeze

from the original link
Quote:
Williams said when he looked back at the tapes of last season, especially those in the first half of the season, he was frustrated by the sacks he should have had.

"The number could have doubled," Williams said. "I'm not putting the number out there, but the sky is the limit. I know I have to play the whole season like I did in the second half." To help make that a possibility, Williams has leaned up. At 6-7, his weight is down from 291 to 285. The extra quickness will make him even more of a handful for the league's left tackles.

"I came in and ate right and worked out harder," Williams said. "I'm a lot quicker. This game is going to the smaller, quicker defensive ends. I figured I'd be quicker and still have good size. I can feel it. I'm faster."
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read