Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-14-2008   #1
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Possible teams/players to trade with/for

I thought it may be fun to start listing some players we may be interested in trading for from some other teams. I can see RB being a position that could require us to do something about. Also, let's discuss what we could give up- ie a draft pick or a player.

I'll start with one that somewhat interests me:

Sage Rosenfels for Deangelo Williams- Okay the skinny is, we're worried about Schaub getting injured and then not having a viable backup. We do know however, that Sage CAN be traded as evidenced by us asking for a 2nd rounder in the offseason. Carolina is in a similar situation, if Delhomme doesn't perform well or gets injured they turn to Matt Moore- who they may or may not be excited about. The rumors are that Carolina is not sold or that excited about Deangelo Williams. Stewart should do really well on their team, but that 1-2 punch of Stewart and Williams could be too good for them to trade DW away. Supposedly, Kubiak liked Williams in 2006 to try and trade up for him in the 1st round. DW could prove to be a great RB on this team at 5'9ish and 217lbs. This trade would most likely need to occur sometime during the season.

So here's how/when I think it could happen:
1. Schaub has to show that he's 100% and Kubiak/Smith have to be comfortable enough with our pass protection that it's light and day better from last year.
2. Shane Boyd has to show Kubiak/Smith that he is a viable backup (we havn't seen much from him so these next three games are really important).
3. Ahman Green and Chris Brown don't have to change a bit... stay injured (as usual)
4. Carolina has to be willing to roll with Jonathan Stewart and Labrandon Toefield (who I also like).
5. Carolina has to be worried about the future of Delhomme and convinced Sage can be successful as their starter.

I enjoy coming up with trade scenarios that are somewhat plausible. A lot has to happen for this to work, but I think in the long run it could be great. If Williams works here, we don't have to look at that next year in the draft and can go DE/Safety in the 1st and 2nd rounds and continue to build a dominate defense.

Let's hear what y'all think of this and come up with your own!
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #2
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible teams/players to trade with/for

Haven't the Texans said time and time again they were NOT going to trade Sage?

Teams need 2 reliable QB's these days and Matt hasn't shown that he can make it thru a full season without being injured.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
Haven't the Texans said time and time again they were NOT going to trade Sage?

Teams need 2 reliable QB's these days and Matt hasn't shown that he can make it thru a full season without being injured.
Kubiak has said we aren't "actively" pursuing a trade because Schaub is coming off surgery and Sage is very important to the team. That's why they would have to be comfortable with Shane Boyd as the back up (which a lot has to happen for this). Actions speak louder than words. We've repeatedly heard we don't want to trade him (which I truly believe) but the meer fact we've had discussions and demanded something better than was offered tells me... it can be done.

Quote:
There is "general feeling" that the Vikings and Texans will re-enter trade talks involving Sage Rosenfels at the owners' meetings this week.
Acquiring Rosenfels was reportedly one of the Vikings' top priorities entering the offseason, no less important than Bernard Berrian's signing. The Vikings know Houston wants a second-round pick. If they add a fifth-rounder or a CB like Marcus McCauley to their offer of a third, maybe the Texans will bite.Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune
This was 3/31/08 http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/pla...rt=NFl&id=1276
Obviously nothing happened, but what it tells me is that the Texans didn't like the deal. However there were discussions and reportedly we wanted a 2nd round (ie he IS expendable). If a player at a position of NEED (instead of a pick) is dangled in from of us we may be willing to bite.
Old 08-14-2008   #4
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I would not want to go into the season with Boyd as the backup. That's an unknown that I would not want to risk.

At least with Sage they know what they have. He can go in there and win. And in this division..with this team...on the cusp of perhaps a playoff season I think you keep him. He could be the difference maker.
Old 08-14-2008   #5
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
I would not want to go into the season with Boyd as the backup. That's an unknown that I would not want to risk.

At least with Sage they know what they have. He can go in there and win. And in this division..with this team...on the cusp of perhaps a playoff season I think you keep him. He could be the difference maker.
Completely understand and agree. This early it'd be really risky, heck during the season it may be risky. But it still gets me that 'what if' the Vikings would have gave us their 2nd round pick in April? We wouldn't have Sage. They signed Quinn Gray but got rid of him and kept Boyd. But I have the same feelings as you about Sage- he'd be there for us and we wouldn't miss a beat (although he becomes a FA soon).

This would have to be done during the season if Schaub looks great, the OL is protecting the pass great, and our running backs are a HUGE letdown.

Then again, maybe the risk isn't worth the possible reward.
Old 08-14-2008   #6
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Yep. All good points. It's risky to trade him but you certainly have to consider it if another team dangles something out there worth their while.

Sometimes you have to roll that dice. Good points to both trading him or not.

Let's just hope whatever they do is the right thing!
Old 08-14-2008   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Anybody else got another trade proposal?
Sponsored links
Old 08-14-2008   #8
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I would still like to see us acquire Lito Shepard from the Eagles. We're a bit heavy at WR, so maybe one of those guys and a draft selection? I don't like to have our secondary kind of suspect going into the season, and this trade would certainly firm up things for us.

Was Ray Rhodes there when Shepard came on?
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read