Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-06-2005   #41
Dime
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzled
Well, the ones Iíve discussed here are Garrick Jones and Derick Armstrong, both of whom made your team, and one of whom caught 400 yards in passes this year for you. IMO, Cheatwood is a very good athlete and a very good player. My team tried very hard to trade for him in the off season last year, and for good reason. How well he fits with your team is another matter. If he was to be essentially a rush end type of OLB then I could see him fitting in right away. He wouldnít need that much time to adjust to that role. But youíve drafted Babin and Peek in the last couple of years and you already have Wong, so where does Cheatwood fit in? Iím sure he wouldnít have signed if he didnít get at least a high 5 or low 6 figure signing bonus, so Iím sure he wasnít signed as camp fodder. Iím just not sure what the Texansí plans are for him.

And another player comparison would be R-Kal Truluck of the Packers, who also played in the CFL for a few years.
There are always better players and playmakers.. Babin and Peek have shown both imo they are playmakers, but I havent seen that in Wong. I dont know what the plans are, but I like the options I am seeing.
Dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #42
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Wong is solid but nothing more than that. I hope Peek replaces him next season.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #43
Grizzled
Rookie

Cheatwood is a high energy guy and has real drive to get to the QB, and these are scrambling CFL style QBs Iím talking about. He took some stupid penalties this year and was involved in an incident or two, but IMO this was uncharacteristic behaviour for him. I donít remember him being involved in anything like that in the past. As I said, my team, the Roughriders, went hard after him in the off season, and we only go after character guys. Both our coach and GM (trivia on them below) are strong Christians and place a high value on character and a good team atmosphere. Derick Armstrong is a good example of the kind of players they sign. They wouldnít have gone after Cheatwood at all if they thought he was a bad actor or reckless. That said, he did get involved in a couple of surprisingly uncharacteristic incidents this year.

Trivia on Danny Barrett (coach of the Saskatchewan Roughriders) and Roy Shivers (GM of the Riders): Both of them are African American, which makes them the first African American coach and GM combo in pro-football, and Roy Shivers was, I believe, the first black GM in pro-football. (And darn good one he is too. He found Derick Armstrong when nobody even in Texas seems to have even heard of the school he went to, let alone heard of him, but you know him now, and we found out about him a couple of years before you did thanks to Roy.)

Hereís a good feature on Roy Shivers. Heís got quite a story.

http://www.cbc.ca/sask/features/shivers/
This may be of particular interest to African American posters, (who I assume must be here on this Houston Texas board), but I think it will be interesting to everyone. It was certainly shocking to me even though Iíve heard of these things before. But when you can place a face into these events, and when that face is the face of the football genius who has turned your football team around and tuned them into a top contender for the first time in almost 30 years, itís pretty shocking. Maybe this is all tired old news to you guys down there, though. I really donít know. Iím just a pasty white guy from the middle of the Canadian prairie. But here it is if youíre interested, and feel free to skip it if youíre heard if all before 100 times.
Grizzled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #44
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

i would also like to see peek take over wongs spot. Peek is just a play maker and brings emotion on the field and shows a desire to play and win. If a few 15 yards is what it takes for peek to play than so be it ! I like the sound of this Tim dude by the way !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #45
jlshooter

Hello all. Another Tiger-Cat fan here.

As sorry as I am to see us lose Mr. Cheatwood, I am happy he has found a home in the NFL.

Not to take anything away from Cheatwood, but one of the reasons he had so many sacks is because of the other D-End we have named Joe Montford. Mr. Montford had 13 sacks last year. O-Lines had to dbl team one of them which left the other one to do what they do best. It was a great combination, one that will sorely be missed.

Cheatwood is one passonate player. If you guys decide he doesn't fit your team, we will welcome him back with open arms.
Old 01-06-2005   #46
SESupergenius

I too would also like to see Peek take over Wongs spot, it just a natural progression for a drafted LB in his 3rd year to compete for the stating spot. But I have reservations about him being injury prone. He's been given the reigns twice now and both times hes been injured enough to miss games. Wong is at minimum a solid player for us at the ROLB spot. Not people realize this but Wong tied 7th in the league for linebacker sacks. That is a very solid performance, he's a smart player and very durable.

I'm thinking that Cheatwood would battle for a spot behind Wong or possibly replace Polk, who is up for FA. 258 pounds is definitely a RILB or ROLB.
Old 01-07-2005   #47
TiCats04

Hello Texas from London Ontario. You have a good one in Tim Cheatwood. Finding a spot on your roster will be tough. He brings a high spirited performance and aggressive play. We are dissapointed to lose him. Our loss is your gain.
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2005   #48
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

I dont care who starts, Cheatwood, Babin, Peek Wong, someone else, as long as they can generate more of a pass rush, i dont care what name provides it, just as long as someone gets close or to double digit sack numbers this season, if i have to cheer for cheatwood and not Wong, i can deal with that.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005   #49
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Maybe we are going to run a 2-5 defense in certain situations. Babin, Peek and Cheatwood all played DE. It would be even more difficult for a QB to pick up the blitz with 5 LB's to read than 4. With all the OLB's already on the Roster you have to wonder what another one is going to do.

BTW. I hope Cheatwood thaws out by spring practice. We could use him when playing in GB on the "frozen tundra".
Old 01-07-2005   #50
cflfan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerCat Fan
To be honest with you, Tim had a problem lining up off-side constantly last year but keep in mind that our defence has to be 1 yard off the line of scrimmage up here in the CFL unlike the NFL where you guys are nose to nose.

I like Tim myself because of his guts and "meanness" on the field. He had a penalty for spitting on an opposing player this year as well as kicking an officials flag after it was thrown........some up here say it's a lack of discipline but I beg to differ!.........this is the sign of a guy who's 100% into winning and gets frustrated at anything less......save the finesse for the offence......I want my defence to be animals!....wolves preferably!

We in Hamilton have a tradition of mean, tough defences (historically) so if we lose Tim to you guys I'll be sad to see him go......but at the same time I'll be happy that someone else appreciates his tenacity. Man, is he fast off the end!

I came on here two years ago and said that a guy named Derrick Armstrong would surprise many. Now you guys all know about him. Tim Cheatwood is a player. I don't think we will see him starting right away, but I think he'll make the team.
cflfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005   #51
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

If Cheatwood pans out here, that makes him a very late bloomer in the NFL as he was born in Aug., '77 which means he turns 28 before this years regular season opener. Maybe sets the record for an NFL rookie age wise ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005   #52
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

If he's that passionate and an energy driven player, let's hope he works out and is the spark the Texans need. While you are talking about him on the line, as his play in the CFL went, he was also TE at Ohio State. Might be where the Texans are looking to put him to use.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005   #53
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 130554 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

No, he is coming in to compete at the OLB.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005   #54
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

This is another in a long line of OLB candidates ala Babin, Peek, Anderson, Raheem Orr, etc. that will come through here. Some will make it - some won't. They are going to continue to bring guys like this in until they find one or two who can make an impact like a Kevin Greene, Greg Lloyd, Ricky Jackson, Pat Swilling, or Lamar Lathon.

I can't help but think of Jimmy Chitwood when I see the name.

Last edited by aj.; 01-07-2005 at 12:53 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005   #55
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wong is solid but nothing more than that. I hope Peek replaces him next season.
Wong had 71 total tackles, 4th most by a Texan this season, 5.5 sacks, most by any Texan this season, and 3 INT's, 3rd most by a Texan this season. Also, Wong is scheduled to make like between 4 and 6 million in '05 if I remember corectly, that is a lot of money to pay someone to warm the bench.
Old 01-07-2005   #56
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

its also a lot of money to pay someone if ya dont need them.

Peek didnt start so you cant say if he would have been better or worse.. but he sure seemed to wreak havoc when he was in.

Maybe its time for Wong to go? i like the guy but if he isnt our best ROLB.. and he wont play ILB.. and he is making between 4-6 mil.. hey.. you gotta do what you gotta do.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005   #57
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not saying who would have done beter or worse, I am just saying Wong had a good season. And if we cut him or trade him, won't we still be responsible for at least part of his remaining contract?
Old 01-07-2005   #58
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

yah we would be.. i dunno how much though.. a.j. could probably tell us but I dont wanna bother him with it . he is busy trying to dig up all the info on our current cap situation.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005   #59
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Wong is entering the final year of his contract as is Sharper. Wong's cap number is around $4.5 million and he would be a million dollar hit (or 500k depending on when you cut him) if he was cut. But my guess is that he won't be cut. The question with Wong is whether they extend him like they did Coleman or let him go FA after this season. I know the coaches like Kailee because he's smart and versatile. My guess is that they work out some kind of three year deal. He'll be 29 in May.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005   #60
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
Maybe we are going to run a 2-5 defense in certain situations. Babin, Peek and Cheatwood all played DE. It would be even more difficult for a QB to pick up the blitz with 5 LB's to read than 4. With all the OLB's already on the Roster you have to wonder what another one is going to do.

BTW. I hope Cheatwood thaws out by spring practice. We could use him when playing in GB on the "frozen tundra".
You know with enough speed rushers on teh roster, running the 2-5 or even the 3-4 with say Babin lines up as a DE with Peek as teh OLB behind him would confsue the snot out of some O-lines/QBs. It would probaly only be a viable option once or twice a game, but it would some teeth to the front 7, and we all agree that that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Question for some of teh Tiger-Cat fans; who good are y'alls DBs? I'm just still amazed that a DE canrecord 11 sacks while lining up a yard of the ball.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read