Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-20-2004   #1
TigerCat Fan
Rookie

Default Tim Cheatwood....Leaving Canada for Texas?

Hi Texas !.......Hamilton, Canada here.

We have a player on the Hamilton Tiger Cats of the Canadian Football League by the name of Tim Cheatwood who led the CFL in QB sacks last year. Apparantly he just had a tryout with the Texans. Any thoughts on Tim and his chances of not coming back to Canada?

The following link is from our discussion board about this matter.

click here

thanks

PS. The news of this workout that Tim had came from an article in the Cleveland Plains Dealer click here

Last edited by TigerCat Fan; 12-20-2004 at 08:29 AM.
TigerCat Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #2
Dime
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerCat Fan
Hi Texas !.......Hamilton, Canada here.

We have a player on the Hamilton Tiger Cats of the Canadian Football League by the name of Tim Cheatwood who led the CFL in QB sacks last year. Apparantly he just had a tryout with the Texans. Any thoughts on Tim and his chances of not coming back to Canada?

The following link is from our discussion board about this matter.

click here

thanks

PS. The news of this workout that Tim had came from an article in the Cleveland Plains Dealer click here
Welcome to Texas... I would love to take this player from you... smile. We are currently developing our pass rush, but it sound this guy might be interesting to look at.
Dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is one of those things where we won't know he exists until he plays for us, and hopefully does well--I suppose. I mean this in the nicest possible way, but none of us, that I'm aware of, follow the CFL. I didn't know that team existed, but I did, of course, know about the CFL. Someone will respond eventually, I'm sure, but most of us are surprised they're looking at anyone right now with 3 games left in the season (seems like a strange time) and we don't know what to say.

He sounds like a great pass rusher. Sorry.

Oh, and we really need someone else to be our leading pass rusher, besides our CB, lol.

Last edited by HJam72; 12-20-2004 at 09:17 AM.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #4
TigerCat Fan
Rookie

Well, the good news is that now you do know about the Hamilton Tiger Cats......lol...we are the second oldest professional sports franchise in the world believe it or not. Here's Tim's bio from our website and while you're in the site, go to the homepage and have a look around.......you may have to scrape the ice off the screen though because it's -23 degrees (celsius) right now in Hamilton. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

We even have video clips of the players in their bios. Nice eh?

click here for Cheatwood bio

I'd hate to lose Tim!!

Congrats on your win yesterday by the way!
Old 12-20-2004   #5
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

Hey i say "we'll take him" lol....
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

He looks like a DE to me. We run a 3-4 defense. Where would we use this guy? Tackle? LB?
Old 12-20-2004   #7
shinerbock_texas
Rookie

Size wise, he sounds like outside blizting linbacker.

Question regarding Cheatwood:
1) at 258 Lbs can he take on the big 325 Lbs OTs?
2) How fast is the guy to drop back in coverage and cover TEs and RBs out of the back field.

The speed of the NFL game is entirely different than the College ranks and CFL. Sorry but this is why this is the NFL. Only the biggest, baddest and fastest can survive.
shinerbock_texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-20-2004   #8
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
and Ohio State football standout Tim Cheatwood, now with Hamilton in the Canadian Football League, recently worked out for the Houston Texans and could sign with them. Cheatwood led the CFL in sacks (14) this past season and was also a league All-Star.
Does this seem odd to anyone else? We have Wong and Babin on the outside right now alternating Peek in as of late...why would we be looking at this type of player right now? Only thing I could think of is backup OLB .
Old 12-20-2004   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Any possibility they could be looking at this guy to take Foreman's position next year with Wong on the outside? Personally, I'd really like to see Wong in the middle with Peek starting outside.
Old 12-20-2004   #10
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wong doesn't want to play inside although I would like to see him inside but I don't see Peek starting just yet. I do like your idea of him replacing Foreman, though. Either that or we could sign Hartwell from the Ravens he will be a FA after this season.
Old 12-20-2004   #11
TigerCat Fan
Rookie

To be honest with you, Tim had a problem lining up off-side constantly last year but keep in mind that our defence has to be 1 yard off the line of scrimmage up here in the CFL unlike the NFL where you guys are nose to nose.

I like Tim myself because of his guts and "meanness" on the field. He had a penalty for spitting on an opposing player this year as well as kicking an officials flag after it was thrown........some up here say it's a lack of discipline but I beg to differ!.........this is the sign of a guy who's 100% into winning and gets frustrated at anything less......save the finesse for the offence......I want my defence to be animals!....wolves preferably!

We in Hamilton have a tradition of mean, tough defences (historically) so if we lose Tim to you guys I'll be sad to see him go......but at the same time I'll be happy that someone else appreciates his tenacity. Man, is he fast off the end!

Old 12-20-2004   #12
texan279
Hall of Fame

If you guys have to line up one yard off of the ball and he had 14 sacks last year...WOW. I don't think anyone on our team has had 14 sacks in a season yet, and we line up nose to nose, he must be hell on wheels!
Old 12-20-2004   #13
TigerCat Fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
If you guys have to line up one yard off of the ball and he had 14 sacks last year...WOW. I don't think anyone on our team has had 14 sacks in a season yet, and we line up nose to nose, he must be hell on wheels!
We had a weekly Tiger Cat TV show up here last season and Tim was a guest on one of the tapings......I think I recall the host asking him what his favourite meal was.......his answer was simple......QUARTERBACKS!

Please don't sign him!.......We need him back!
Old 12-20-2004   #14
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds like someone we should take a longer look at. Do we have a pratice squad spot open?

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #15
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Wiegert is likely to be put on IR (if not already), maybe that will free up a spot for him.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #16
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
Wiegert is likely to be put on IR (if not already), maybe that will free up a spot for him.
Seems to me like he'd have to gain about 40 lbs. to play at tackle.
Old 01-06-2005   #17
TigerCat Fan
Rookie

Unhappy

Well, I guess I'm now a Houston Texan fan!

You just signed Tim Cheatwood!......Good for you, bad for us up here in Hamilton...sighhhhhh

Good Luck from all us Tiger Cat fans Tim!....We're gonna miss you!

click here for article on the Tiger Cat Website
Old 01-06-2005   #18
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Thanks for the link.
Old 01-06-2005   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Does this seem odd to anyone else? We have Wong and Babin on the outside right now alternating Peek in as of late...why would we be looking at this type of player right now?
If you look at how Pittsburgh drafts you will see that they pursue a tweener in just about every single draft.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerCat Fan
Well, I guess I'm now a Houston Texan fan!

You just signed Tim Cheatwood!......Good for you, bad for us up here in Hamilton...sighhhhhh

Good Luck from all us Tiger Cat fans Tim!....We're gonna miss you!

click here for article on the Tiger Cat Website
Thanks for the heads up!

And welcome to the Texans family. Hope you can make it down here one day to catch a game. You will definitely be invited to many tailgating activities...so many that you probably won't be able to make most of them.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read