Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-13-2008   #1
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Did Buchanon take a shot at the Texans?

Check this out

http://www.theledger.com/article/200...is_Experiences

BUCS TRAINING CAMP
Buchanon's Age Doesn't Reflect His Experiences
Six-year cornerback has seen his share of the business side of the National Football League.

Published: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 at 9:50 p.m.
Last Modified: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 at 9:50 p.m.
LAKE BUENA VISTA | Phillip Buchanon is a young man at 27 years old, but he feels he has gone through a lot in his six years in the NFL.

PIERRE DUCHARME | THE LEDGER Buy photo
WELL-TRAVELED PHILIP BUCHANON (31) has found a home with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. In his third season, he's now one of the key players in the Bucs' secondary.Buchanon went from a flashy first-round draft pick to being outright released in a little less than five seasons.

Since coming to the Tampa Bay in 2006, however, Buchanon is becoming known for his consistency at cornerback.

"He's been here two years, and he's more comfortable with me and more comfortable in the system," said Tampa Bay secondary coach Raheem Morris. "He's looking great in camp. He's looking awesome."

In college, many thought the 5-foot-11, 186-pound Buchanon was on his way to joining the long list of great University of Miami's great defensive players. He had seven interceptions in 32 games, including five his senior season. He also led the Big East with a 15-yard punt return average and had two touchdowns.

That play-making ability caught the Oakland Raiders' attention, and they traded up to take Buchanon with the 17th pick in the first round of the 2002 NFL Draft.

Yet, after two strong seasons in which he had three interception returns and three punt returns for touchdowns, Buchanon's stock went into a nosedive.

He was sent to Houston in 2005 and played a season and a half before being benched. He was released Oct. 16, 2006. Tampa Bay signed him one day later and the change of environment rejuvenated the Fort Myers native.

The problems Oakland and Houston seemingly had with Buchanon - poor coverage skills, poor tackling - have not appeared with the Bucs.

He played in 10 games with the Bucs in 2006 but really had an impact last season. Buchanon set a career high with 63 tackles, ranked second on the team with three interceptions and ranked third on the team with a career-high 11 passes defended. He also forced a fumble and returned a team-high 16 punts.

"He was a great player coming out of Miami," said Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden. "You don't get picked in the first round unless you are. He went to Houston and actually did some good things there. But he is a very athletic, gifted athlete and he's a great kid. He's got a lot of pride and he's playing really good football for us."

Buchanon said he got a bad rap in Oakland and Houston.

"I'm in a better environment," he said. "I never figured myself to have a problem with tackling. The situations that I was put in - it was down, a lot of losing, a lot of things going on behind closed doors that people didn't know about. It was kind of depressing. But at the same time, I came here with the mind-set of coming here playing. They respect you (in Tampa). They make you feel like a man, and in certain places they didn't make you feel that way.

"People are always going to have a knock on you," Buchanon said. "They're always going to have good and bad things about you. I'm focused on doing things that I can control, and that is focus on being a better player, a better tackler, making more plays, helping my team win and doing whatever they want me to do."

He knows he can't afford to rest.

With Brian Kelly leaving for Detroit, Buchanon inherited the open starting corner spot. But the Bucs brought in Eugene Wilson from New England and drafted another flashy cornerback, Aqib Talib, with their first pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.

"Competition always brings out the best in everybody," Morris said. "A lot of guys in my room, they're motivated guys. I don't think anybody ever doesn't want to be great. From the bottom up in that group, they're going to fight everyday. Phil came back with that same mind-set to fight. He had a bad ending in Oakland, a bad ending in Houston, and I think he found something here he likes and wants to keep it and he's fighting for it."

For Buchanon, it's just a matter of focusing in on the game he loves.

"You've heard the commercial that says 'Believe in now?'" he asked. "I just try to take it for the now. I'm just focused on the day and let the game come to me. So when they come to me, I'll be ready to play."

"I'm in a better environment," he said. "I never figured myself to have a problem with tackling".

Are you kidding me!!!

They make you feel like a man, and in certain places they didn't make you feel that way.

Maybe if you acted like a man you would of gotten treated like a man.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008   #2
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Did Buchanon take a shot at the Texans?

P-Bucs tackling? Sumed up in one word- OLAY!
Old 08-13-2008   #3
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

NO TIME
Old 08-13-2008   #4
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Phillip Bucannot catch is a a-hole who threw games to get cut if he turns out to be better than he was here
Old 08-13-2008   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think what really happened is he realized he was going to have to shape up and start hitting people the best he could or he was going to be out of the league. I suspect that he first started trying to improve while still in Houston, but it wasn't enough improvement soon enough after he embarrassed himself with that one particular ole of the RB at the endzone line.

Was he still with us when we first had the coaching changes? If he was only here under Capers and Co., then I can believe that maybe sucky coaching was part of the problem, but I still think the above was his biggest problem. He was saving his health at the expense of the team, until he realized he couldn't get away with it any longer.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008   #6
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

He's so bad a tackling he missed his shot at the org and they weren't even looking.

PB, Go put on another PJ suit and F'off. You clown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008   #7
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Im sure there was some bad stuff going on behind closed doors when pbuc was here. He was under the old regime in thier final days, when most of the players had already lost faith in that staff's ability to win games.

That being said.. any talent he had coming into the league was ruined by his ego, and inability to apply himself. Im sure that his poor performance here was about 50% "behind the cameras drama" and 50% "tackling is for lesser mortals" Buchanan.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-13-2008   #8
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

No matter what Buchanon says or does, I will distinctly remember Dunta Robinson chewing him out for giving zero effort on a play tackling the ball carrier. To me that showed his true character right there. It's not how you react when everything is great, it's how you react in tough times that shows who you really are. I wish him good luck because the cover 2 seems to fit him, but I don't think he could look anyone straight in the face and say he gave good effort and seriously tried to make it work in Houston.
Old 08-13-2008   #9
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 65244 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

So, basically - he's a follower. Not happy unless someone else is paving the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
P-Bucs tackling? Sumed up in one word- OLAY!
That's what I was gonna say as well.

So, 10 game with TB in '06 not worth mentioning then an "impact" in '07? Guess they'll see if the even year plays back to his red cape style.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
Im sure there was some bad stuff going on behind closed doors when pbuc was here. He was under the old regime in thier final days, when most of the players had already lost faith in that staff's ability to win games.

That being said.. any talent he had coming into the league was ruined by his ego, and inability to apply himself. Im sure that his poor performance here was about 50% "behind the cameras drama" and 50% "tackling is for lesser mortals" Buchanan.
I agree. And given the fact that he was playing on a 2-14 team, along with Carr @ QB (putting the gutted defense in bad positions), I have to cut him a little slack. I'm no fan of his, but I'm not going to dog him, either. He's maturing and learning how to be a solid player now. Good for him.
Old 08-14-2008   #11
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

i lost all respect for him after the willie parker "tackle attempt" in '06.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #12
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

He got cut by a team that went 2-14 and was paper thin at DB. If that's not a wake up call, I don't know what is. I'm not surprised he's better, but rather miffed he's not taking responsibility for himself.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #13
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

huh, so he's saying it's better to play for a playoff team than a team that goes 2-14. clearly an insult to the texans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #14
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't really care what P-Buc says, as long as it's not outright insults specifically meant to put down the organization or against ex-teammates. He's just trying to excuse his lack of effort for several years in this league and gain a new reputation without admitting to his old flaws. He's making excuses. It's not spiteful; it's more gutlessness.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #15
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Buchanon was supposed to be a big deal when he came to the Texans, he wasn't and fizzeled out and got cut.

If he's doing OK with another team, it just means he didn't work out here. Won't be the first or last time that will ever happen.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
huh, so he's saying it's better to play for a playoff team than a team that goes 2-14. clearly an insult to the texans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's not what's being said here and you know it...

First point: He had an opportunity to do some special things here: a) start and b) return punts.

Second point: He squandered those opportunities and did not take responsibility for his poor play. Thus, he moved on.

Third Point: He was given an opportunity elsewhere and has made the most of it. Great!! However, having the lack of character that he has, he still is trying to blame other organizations - rather than admitting that he was responsible. (he was the one that olayed tackles - not the organizations).

Bottom line, until he accepts responsibility for his poor play, he will be a POS with no character. Dunta should have smacked that beyotch up rather than just verbally berating him...
Old 08-14-2008   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88 View Post
...I don't think he could look anyone straight in the face and say he gave good effort and seriously tried to make it work in Houston.

So true and we should all keep in mind that getting sent to Houston via trade in 2005 wasn't exactly looked upon by most players in the NFL as a good thing. I'm not trying to justify his poor play because I thought it stunk. I just recognize that he and the team were probably not in the best of places at that time to make a career resurgence work.
Old 08-14-2008   #18
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Almost every player that goes to another team has something deemed "bad" to say about his former team.

Kind of the same with us poor working folk. When we switch places of employment we often do the same.

We're not being interviewed though.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

All kinds of rep. for that post!!!!!!

Last edited by Hervoyel; 08-14-2008 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Quoted deleted post
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post

I hole heartedly believe there was more going on behind closed doors, than losing faith in the coaching staff. Like what was going on at the QB position.

If I were in that locker room, and knew I would be treated differently than another player, if I make a tiny mistake, my world may come to an end, but he can totally blow games, and he'll start indefinitely.... Or if I'm putting in 100%, and he's putting in 25%...... I know we don't have a chance to win football games. & when the leadership on the team is just there for a paycheck(most of them anyway, I never felt that way about Dunta)..

I can see where a player would lay down. I wouldn't personally, I'd be thinking about showing off my talents for my next team, but different people react differently to different situations.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read