Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-13-2008   #41
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans/Saints practice report

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Here's a news report from a local NO reporter. According to this dude the Texans were "more upbeat" than the Saints were.

http://www.wwltv.com/video/news-index.html?nvid=272493

And for barret:

Thanks for the report from NOLA.
The guy had some nice things to say about Mario, except I think he's mistaken when he says Mario got the best of Jammal Brown last year. As I recall, Brown did not even play in that game due to injury.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008   #42
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Another Mario vs. Reggie redux from a couple of Saints talking heads. Hey guys, if Reggie isn't an "every down back" as you say, doesn't that make an every down DE like Mario the obvious better pick?
Old 08-13-2008   #43
jlam
Veteran

Rep Power: 138 jlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
After reading these articles, its clear to me that the Saints are MUCH better in at least one department:

Coverage (of their team activities)
You had me there for a second.

Stuff like this has to be really refreshing for both teams. You get sick of going up against the same people everyday for weeks and I'm sure it's nice to be able to judge your progress against someone else.

From what I've seen (read), it looks like both defensive lines looked pretty good in the first practice. Lots of pressure from the edges. Thing is, I know that Brees is one of the absolute best in the league at feeling that edge pressure and stepping up in the proper place to avoid it. It's the middle pash rush that gives us problems. Drew's not the tallest guy and it's a lot harder to avoid a rush that's coming right at you. It's Okoye and Johnson that would be key for you guys to disrupt our passing game (or stunts of course).

Not that any of that matters since we won't see each other during the regular season, anyway. Just my couple cents worth.
jlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008   #44
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
You do know you can't hit QBs during practice right?

Thanks for the all articles and pictures. We're looking pretty good.

Question, are we allowed to cut-block against the Saints? I'm sure they would be pretty p***ed if we did.
I was talking about in games sometimes.
Old 08-13-2008   #45
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Here's another report. Might be a little biased, but nice to see AJ making DB's look afool again.
I thought I read AJ wasn't going to be practicing and that he might not even play in the game!? Well I guess the good news is it seems he's completely unphased, but I don't want him to be exposed to injury!
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008   #46
jlam
Veteran

Rep Power: 138 jlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Another Mario vs. Reggie redux from a couple of Saints talking heads. Hey guys, if Reggie isn't an "every down back" as you say, doesn't that make an every down DE like Mario the obvious better pick?
Well that's semantics.

If Reggie stays healthy and is utilized properly, he will be an "every down back", just not used in the same way on every down. Some seem to think this makes him less valuable, but I think it just makes him less conventional. Whether or not it's my preference to have someone carry the ball 25 times a game is immaterial. It's obviously not our coaches' preference, and you can tell in the way he's game planned his entire career.

With that said, I didn't watch the video you referenced and have little doubt those guys probably don't know what they're talking about. Especially if it's those couple of young looking dudes that were covering training camp that I'm thinking of.
jlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008   #47
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cuppacoffee submitted a thread over in our "NFL" section about Bush's new contract, which some of us including this poster are really puzzled about ?
But this was a good session between the 2 Saints fans, even though many of us over here don't think Bush is even in the conversation anymore (I know I don't). But that's why they call them "Saints fans".
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-13-2008   #48
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I was talking about in games sometimes.
But it wasn't a game...
GuerillaBlack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008   #49
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

If it was.
Old 08-13-2008   #50
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlam View Post
With that said, I didn't watch the video you referenced
"Every down back" were their words, not mine.

It's fair to say that the Saints haven't fully utilized Reggie's skills, at this point. He should see more time in the slot, or as a wingback, to create mismatches. But that's on the Saints coaching staff, or Reggie's preparation. Bush should have spent the '07 offseason with the team. He didn't, and it showed.

I won't lie, Bush could play for the Texans. The team is thin at RB. But, I don't believe he could make the same impact that Mario has. Case closed, as far as I'm concerned. Regarding the Saints pick, I have to wonder if AJ Hawk might be more useful and needed. I don't see much difference in the Saints offense when Aaron Stecker is in the backfield. Brees is the straw that stirs the Saints' Sazerac.
Old 08-13-2008   #51
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I thought I read AJ wasn't going to be practicing and that he might not even play in the game!? Well I guess the good news is it seems he's completely unphased, but I don't want him to be exposed to injury!
I don't think he took part in the 11 on 11's. I think it was the 1 on 1's.
Old 08-13-2008   #52
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

He's OK on 1 on 1s. It's just not safe to let him take on 11 guys by himself right now.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008   #53
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 28360 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
I don't think you're allowed to sack with another team.
What? Isn't it better than turning the football over?
Well, it's a tough call to make... having a sore butt for weeks, or just not feeling right in the nether regions.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008   #54
gary
Hall of Fame

If it means winning a few more games I'd take the sore butt.
Old 08-13-2008   #55
Lucky

The afternoon practice report from the Times Picayune:

Quote:
• Quarterback Drew Brees had the Texans' defensive line in his face and looked rattled during the first play of team drills, causing him to call a timeout. On the next play, he had Texans defensive end Mario Williams as close as he could be.
• The Saints' first-team offense and second-team offense both had two-minute drills against the Texans' defense that ended in interceptions. Mark Brunell was intercepted near the end zone by cornerback Derrick Roberson, and Brees was intercepted in the end zone by cornerback Jamar Fletcher.
• Tyler Palko threw an interception to Texans cornerback Antwaun Molden in his final drive, but he followed it up with a nice pass of 25-30 yards up the middle to tight end Billy Miller.
Sounds like the Texans defense dominated this practice. I'm glad to see Billy Miller still has a NFL job.
Old 08-13-2008   #56
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The afternoon practice report from the Times Picayune:

Sounds like the Texans defense dominated this practice. I'm glad to see Billy Miller still has a NFL job.
Who can ever forget Billy Miller catching the pass for our very first ever TD as a team against the Cowgirls? I'm kind of glad to see Miller still going at it myself.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008   #57
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

thanks for the coverage of the coverage guys
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008   #58
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

encouraging to see Molden has made it back on the field, as has AJ.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008   #59
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Shockey didn't practice huh.......must still be afraid of Glen Earl!!!
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008   #60
Lucky

The Saints official site tried to paint a rosier picture, but interceptions are still interceptions.

Quote:
Following some special teams work that focused on field goals and kickoffs that both teams practiced against themselves on the squads reconvened for a final team session that saw the Saints march down the field behind Drew Brees, with a nice completion to RB Reggie Bush that picked up eight yards, a completion to Miller for seven yards, a diving 12-yard completion to WR Devery Henderson and an 18-yard completion to Bush. However on an ensuing down DE Mario Williams and DT Amobi Okoye pressured Brees in the pocket and the Saints’ scoring drive was thwarted when Brees was intercepted in the end zone by SS Glenn Earl.
Mario & Amobi getting it done! Can't wait to see the game on Saturday.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read