Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-13-2008   #1
Sideline
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 118 Sideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Sideline
Default The Art of Tackling

Whilst watching the Broncos game earlier I noticed how so many of our players fail to use fundamental tackling, there are so many arm swipes at players and oppurtunities missed to ring someones bell.

The first example I noticed of this was in the first quarter, Fred Bennett was covering Brandon Marshall who caught a short out route, Bennett then had a clear shot to go through Marshall but instead he went high on him and hugged him to the ground, surely in that situation, go low and wrap him up like any football player should of been taught from an early age. I later noticed also Zach Diles sweeping his arm at a runner who he has over pursued.

I would like to also point out the one exception to this in Will Demps, it was refreshing to see when Selvin Young broke a decent run he came down full speed and went low taking out Selvins' legs, the sort of tackle I would come to expect from the professionals.

Now I know I am picking at little things here but it is just something I noticed from the game that I wanted to bring up, however granted I have only watched the first quarter so far with me getting the game later due to being over the pond.
Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008   #2
Toro59
Rookie

Default Re: The Art of Tackling

Yeah, Will's hit on Young was the only great tackle I remember from the game.

Will Demps can hit really hard for a pretty boy...
Toro59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008   #3
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Richard Smith's Defense is so vanilla even the tackling technique follows suit.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

There's not a better pure form tackler in the league than Dunta Robinson. He is missed.
Old 08-13-2008   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
There's not a better pure form tackler in the league than Dunta Robinson. He is missed.
He is missed indeed but he goes for the knockout too much....DeMeco is a much cleaner tackler imo. DeMeco has an amazing ability to take out your legs from 5 yards away from any angle and a defender in front of him.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

After watching the Bengals the other day.....our tackling is spectacular!
Old 08-13-2008   #7
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Exactly what I thought of when I read the title .... The Bungles were pathetic thru-out the game Vs. GB ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-13-2008   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion View Post
Exactly what I thought of when I read the title .... The Bungles were pathetic thru-out the game Vs. GB ....
Yep, their defense and running game appear like they're going to suck again.

Too bad, too. I actually like Carson Palmer.
Old 08-13-2008   #9
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
He is missed indeed but he goes for the knockout too much....DeMeco is a much cleaner tackler imo. DeMeco has an amazing ability to take out your legs from 5 yards away from any angle and a defender in front of him.
agreed. he does this thing where he grabs one ankle and then swats at the other leg sometimes causing the runner to fall immediately. that seems to me to be how he's able to make these tackles from so far away or through the blocker somehow. he's also a really great "wrap 'em up" tackler.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008   #10
Sideline
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 118 Sideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Ha, I didn't get to see the Bengals game over here. I'm guessing I don't want to see it if I don't want to get angered about bad tackling! It does frustrate me to see the pro's missing tackles that should be easily made.
Old 08-13-2008   #11
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Houston Texans, at least we're not the Bengals? what? that's no way to approach it.
Old 08-13-2008   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
Ha, I didn't get to see the Bengals game over here. I'm guessing I don't want to see it if I don't want to get angered about bad tackling! It does frustrate me to see the pro's missing tackles that should be easily made.
It's kinda like what Vinny said above about Dunta. Alot of players tend to go for the knockout hit and forget about proper tackling technique.

Tackling while leading with your helmet is supposed to be illegal, yet players do it on a continuous basis on every level. But hey, if nothing's going to be done about it and the players continue to do it....then I'll be right Ooooing and AAhing with everybody else.

I get giddy as heck seeing a nice slobber-knocker.
Old 08-14-2008   #13
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Speaking in general terms, Football players tackling is rubbish compared to the standard of tackling in Rugby codes.

Everytime I watch a NFL game I come away laughing at attempted tackles, especially the ones where the defender throws himself blindly at the players legs. Would never happen in Rugby because a) its illegal, b) because it is patently ineffective.

Good form tackling, would save many a yard and many a big play.

Too bad it seems like a dying art.
Old 08-14-2008   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Speaking in general terms, Football players tackling is rubbish compared to the standard of tackling in Rugby codes.

Everytime I watch a NFL game I come away laughing at attempted tackles, especially the ones where the defender throws himself blindly at the players legs. Would never happen in Rugby because a) its illegal, b) because it is patently ineffective.

Kiwi you've been down under too long. Those little Rugby boys would get their butts run in the ground if they tried to take on somebody like Deuce McAllister or AD coming thru the line.
And they couldn't make it in the NFL: too slow to play in the backfield (either one) or WR and
too small to be backers.
But don't get me wrong, I'd love to visit NZ. I know the country down there is spectacular & gorgeous and the people actually don't hate us like 'bout everybody else in the world does.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #15
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Head across the chest, wrap up.................the art.
Old 08-14-2008   #16
Sideline
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post

I have to agree with 'nunusguy' there, I would consider the going low for the runners legs a viable tackle for Football, as in Football unlike rugby in my very brief experience of watching it (apologies if I am wrong) it often can be the job of a 5ft 8 180lb guy needing to bring down your 6ft 240lbs runners such as your McCalisters and Bettis's a few years ago, and quite frankly if they attempt a pure form tackle on those boys at their size they would get run over.

I would agree with you in the case of Linebackers, they need to and should be using a pure form tackle, what really gets me about tackling is not the dive at the legs as I have just outlined its the hugging and grabbing high and pulling them to the floor and countless attempts at arm tackles which clearly will not work, when it would be just as easier and much more effective to perform a form tackle and bring the guy down with some force.
Old 08-14-2008   #17
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe that if the technique is correct size doesn't matter (I'm talking tackling here guys).

Sure you might come up sore, and you may miss a few but you'd have to be better off than just lunging at a guys feet.

By the way most outside backs in Rugby would go 5'11", 220lbs at least. They may not be as explosive as NFL guys because the flowing nature of the game calls for more stamina, but don't write them off as little guys.

Sure we don't have 6'6" 350lb guys but then again those guys don't need tackling that often.
Old 08-14-2008   #18
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Here you go vinny

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #19
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

awesome picture

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #20
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

AHHHH gotta love those red leotards.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read