Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-19-2004   #1
TheTim5125
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TheTim5125
Default Playoffs?

Ok probably not but we are mathmatically still in it... The way I see it if Denver, Buffalo, and the Jags, and Baltimore lose out, and we win out we would some how have the Tie breaker for that group... can some one shed some light on this. We are still in the hunt....

Last edited by TheTim5125; 12-19-2004 at 08:36 PM. Reason: forgot to put baltimore in there....
TheTim5125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004   #2
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

we are not ready to play in a playoff game. give em another year.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004   #3
TheTim5125
Veteran

I know we aren't ready but we could get in if the a few AFC teams collapse and we win out.
Old 12-19-2004   #4
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

I think we're out. From the "still a chance" scenarios seen today - never saw the Texans. Jags were just holding on along with the Bills and one other team that I forget.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004   #5
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think if Ravens win tonight that even the math goes out the window because the jets and Ravens both would have too many wins to get back to the 8-8 mark.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004   #6
TheTim5125
Veteran

Denvers opponents

Denver at Tennessee:Volek has been playing well
Indianapolis at Denver:IDK if Indy will still be playing for seed.

Jaguars opponents

Houston at Jacksonville:tough game for us at least we should play the spoiler
Jacksonville at Oakland: Oakland played well but Jacksonville is the favorite

Baltimore opponents

Baltimore at Pittsburgh:Pittsburgh needs homefield
Miami at Baltimore: Miami has been playing better.

Bills opponents

Buffalo at San Francisco: Bills should win
Pittsburgh at Buffalo: Pitt wants homefield

I'm just saying... it could happen.. highly unlikely but could happen
Old 12-19-2004   #7
LiveForTheGame
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to LiveForTheGame

It may be able to happen, but it won't. Also, I don't want the Texans to make it this season. I want them to succeed, but losing big in the first round isn't my idea of success just because they made the playoffs. Especially with the terrible middle portion of the season. They aren't a playoff team yet.
LiveForTheGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-20-2004   #8
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTim5125
Ok probably not but we are mathmatically still in it... The way I see it if Denver, Buffalo, and the Jags, and Baltimore lose out, and we win out we would some how have the Tie breaker for that group... can some one shed some light on this. We are still in the hunt....
I believe it's because when multiple teams tie for a wild card spot and they haven't all played each other an even number of times they will go to conference record. If Houston wins out they will have a 7-5 conference record. If Denver, the Ravens, the Jags, and the Bills lose out they will all have worse conference records. Denver could do it, but I don't think the others will lose 2 each. Still, it's nice to still be "involved" this late in the season.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #9
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

If I'm understanding the tie-breaking procedures correctly, the Texans make the playoffs if:

Texans win final 2 games

and

Buffalo, Baltimore, Denver and Jacksonville all lose their remaining games

and

Kansas City wins their final 2 games

and

Cincinnati loses at least one.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #10
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
If I'm understanding the tie-breaking procedures correctly, the Texans make the playoffs if:

Texans win final 2 games

and

and

and

Sounds about right to me.

Hey but anything can happen in a football game, right? Aside from that, I think for the Texans to be true contenders for and in the playoffs is something we'll have no choice but to wait until next year for. They can go no place but up which is what I see - improved another game from last season. So let's keep the party going Texans, finsh this season up strong!!!!!
HoustonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #11
TheTim5125
Veteran

Lets just spoil the Jaguars playoff hopes
Old 12-20-2004   #12
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's shoot for #2 in our division and forget about play-offs. We're not ready for play-offs yet, anyway.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #13
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy

Texans win final 2 games

and

and

and

I don't think that is correct. I don't see where KC or Cincy effects our playoff chances.

Lets assume that Baltimore, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Denver and Houston are all tied at 8-8.

3+ way Tiebreakers

1. Record

2 Sweeps
a. Did anyone sweep all of the teams in the tiebreaker? No
b. Did anyone lose to all of the teams in the tiebreaker (eliminating themselves in the process)? No

Conference Records
Team/Record/Conf. Record
Houston 8-8 7-5
Balt. 8-8 5-7
Buffalo 8-8 5-7
Denver 8-8 5-7
Jack. 8-8 5-7
-------------
KC 8-8 7-5
Cinci 8-8 4-8

If KC loses a game, then we have the best conference record and would advance. If KC wins both games, then we would check tiebreakers with KC (since both are 7-5 in the conference) to determine who would advance. Since we beat them, we would go.

It is my understanding that we need Balt., Buffalo, Denver, and Jacksonville to lose them all and for us to win out.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #14
dan7
Veteran

Arrow

While still mathematically possibly this season, I'd like to think that realistically the playoffs are something the Texans should aim for next season.
Old 12-20-2004   #15
TheTim5125
Veteran

as much as I want to be in the playoffs I don't feel that we are ready.
Old 12-20-2004   #16
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

Let's just win the next two games. You have to give the Jags credit for last night's game......they'll be tough in their home field especially after being humbled by the Texans earlier this season....hehe!!
Old 12-20-2004   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be REALLY happy ending the season with an 8-8 record and just missing the playoffs.

I don't think this team is up to the task of a playoff game, and it would be a much more optimistic ending to have an 8-8 record and just miss the playoffs, than ending the season in a blowout.
Old 12-20-2004   #18
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
I don't think that is correct. I don't see where KC or Cincy effects our playoff chances.

Lets assume that Baltimore, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Denver and Houston are all tied at 8-8.

3+ way Tiebreakers

1. Record

2 Sweeps
a. Did anyone sweep all of the teams in the tiebreaker? No
b. Did anyone lose to all of the teams in the tiebreaker (eliminating themselves in the process)? No

Conference Records
Team/Record/Conf. Record
Houston 8-8 7-5
Balt. 8-8 5-7
Buffalo 8-8 5-7
Denver 8-8 5-7
Jack. 8-8 5-7
-------------
KC 8-8 7-5
Cinci 8-8 4-8

If KC loses a game, then we have the best conference record and would advance. If KC wins both games, then we would check tiebreakers with KC (since both are 7-5 in the conference) to determine who would advance. Since we beat them, we would go.

It is my understanding that we need Balt., Buffalo, Denver, and Jacksonville to lose them all and for us to win out.
Correction....I think.

KC doesn't need to win out, however if they did we would still be in because the 1st tie-breaker with multiple teams for a wild card is Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. First division tie-breaker is Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).

Houston would eliminate Jags because they would have swept them. KC would eliminate Denver on better division record.

Now we have Buffalo, Baltimore, Houston, and KC. 2nd tie-breaker 3 or more teams for wild card is Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.) Hoston didn't play Buffalo or Baltimore. This step does not apply. Step 3 is Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference. Houston and KC would both be 7-5 elimminating Buffalo and Baltimore, both 5-7. Now the tie-breaker reverts to the 2 team formula. 1st tiebreaker is Head-to-head, if applicable. Houston beats KC in week 3, Houston wins the wild card.

So.....my previous post is indeed incorrect. It doesn't matter what KC or Cincinnati does.

The TEXANS are in the playoffs if:

they win their remaining games

AND

Baltimore, Buffalo, Denver, and Jacksonville ALL lose their remaining games.

Whew!!!!

Somebody else can figure out the odds of that happening.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #19
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's the math. There is no way in hell the Texans are going to the playoffs this season.

Maybe next season.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #20
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia
Here's the math. There is no way in hell the Texans are going to the playoffs this season.

Maybe next season.
Crazy people.

No playoffs for Xmas.

Just gimme 8-8!
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read