Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-12-2008   #1
RED_ROOSTER
Veteran

Default Taylor, Slaton, Special Teams and Defense..

Hey everyone this is my first thread here.. When Green went down with what appeared to be a groin pull of some sort Mr.Taylor stepped it up pretty well and ran consistently giving the Texans a good ground game and so did Mr. D.Walker. Rosenfels was on the mark to David Anderson who did a heckuva job catchin the ball. Jacoby on that one punt did a great job of getting away from multiple defenders but just let that ball slip out of his possesion, but he can sure fly. Slaton did okay for his first time around, but those defenders he's going up against are sure not like they were in college and you could tell he seemed slightly intimidated but hey its his first go round, on top of that he's a small speedy back anyways and when he was in the game the Broncos knew that they were gonna go to him so it made it a little harder, but he looked good and I can't wait to see him in the special teams. Kris Brown kicked great. And as far the defense Frank Okam looked real strong and of course so did Zac Diles who was in on almost every tackle and so was Williams and Ryans, who also looked great.... The Texans look like they are going to have an even better season....

Last edited by RED_ROOSTER; 08-12-2008 at 04:49 PM.
RED_ROOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #2
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Taylor, Slaton, Special Teams and Defense..

Welcome back. I'm waiting for the guru to unleash the backside cut blocks and let slip the dogs of war.. We'll see.
Old 08-12-2008   #3
RED_ROOSTER
Veteran

who's the guru......? LOL
Old 08-12-2008   #4
Polo

Gibbs
Old 08-12-2008   #5
Toro59
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_ROOSTER View Post
When Green went down with what appeared to be a groin pull of some sort Mr.Taylor stepped it up pretty well and so ran consistently giving the Texans a good ground game.

I didn't see any consistency from Taylor or any of the running backs. Which isn't that bad considering it was the first preseason game.

I still believe Walker wants it more than any of the other backs, minus Slaton
Toro59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #6
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Awesome...welcome rooster. RGV fan here too! Glad to hear there are more Texans fans in the Valley!!!
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #7
bollocks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_ROOSTER View Post
Hey everyone this is my first thread here.. When Green went down with what appeared to be a groin pull of some sort Mr.Taylor stepped it up pretty well and so ran consistently giving the Texans a good ground game. Rosenfels was on the mark to David Anderson who did a heckuva job catchin the ball. Jacoby on that one punt did a great job of getting away from multiple defenders but just let that ball slip out of his possesion, but he can sure fly. Slaton did okay for his first time around, but those defenders he's going up against are sure not like they were in college and you could tell he seemed slightly intimidated but hey its his first go round, on top of that he's a small speedy back anyways and when he was in the game the Broncos knew that they were gonna go to him so it made it a little harder, but he looked good and I can't wait to see him in the special teams. Kris Brown kicked great. And as far the defense Frank Okam looked real strong and of course so did Zac Diles who was in on almost every tackle and so was Williams and Ryans, who also looked great.... The Texans look like they are going to have an even better season....
I wouldn't call 19 yards in 10 runs (1.9 yards a carry) "consistency". Especially considering that one run accounts for 10 of those 19 yards. IMHO, there will be an odd man out at RB, and if Taylor can't do any better than that then it will likely be him.
Old 08-12-2008   #8
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

100 rushing yards as a team isn't good.
Old 08-12-2008   #9
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

You know, it wasn't all the RB's fault. The Oline were trying out their cut blocking techniques on a defense that sees the ZBS every day in practice. Besides it was only the first preseason game. However, Ahman worries me a little, going down on the first play like he did.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #10
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Maybe Walker will step up.
Old 08-12-2008   #11
huckdabuck
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
You know, it wasn't all the RB's fault. The Oline were trying out their cut blocking techniques on a defense that sees the ZBS every day in practice. Besides it was only the first preseason game. However, Ahman worries me a little, going down on the first play like he did.
I could have sworn that I saw something somewhere which said that neither team was cut blocking. Can't remember which thread it was on here. Then again I could have been asleep at the wheel and just thought I saw that somewhere.
huckdabuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #12
Toro59
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckdabuck View Post
I could have sworn that I saw something somewhere which said that neither team was cut blocking. Can't remember which thread it was on here. Then again I could have been asleep at the wheel and just thought I saw that somewhere.
Yeah, I remember that as well. Not necessarily that they wouldn't do it, just that they wouldn't do it a lot because it was Denver.
Old 08-12-2008   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
on one of the first run plays, Owen Daniels dove to the ground, to try to cut the DE.

The DE stepped around him, as Owen went down way too early.

He also managed to cut Winston in the back of the legs(ouch) preventing Winston from getting to the second level.

I know it's bound to get better, but I was expecting to see Moe, Larry, & Curly on the back of thier jerseys.
Old 08-12-2008   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It has been said.

And it's also been pointed out that cut blocking was going on.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #15
Toro59
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
on one of the first run plays, Owen Daniels dove to the ground, to try to cut the DE.

The DE stepped around him, as Owen went down way too early.

He also managed to cut Winston in the back of the legs(ouch) preventing Winston from getting to the second level.

I know it's bound to get better, but I was expecting to see Moe, Larry, & Curly on the back of their jerseys.
Is it just me or is the thought of Daniels or any of are O lineman diving to the ground trying to cut block not sound like an injury waiting to happen?

Maybe I don't understand the whole cut blocking tecnique...
Old 08-12-2008   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I know they said the actual cut blocks weren't being thrown in practice, as they didn't want to hurt their own DL. During the game, you could see they were trying.

They also may have said they weren't chop blocking, which is often confused with cut blocking. Chop blocking is illegal, cheap, and will get someone hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro59 View Post
Is it just me or is the thought of Daniels or any of are O lineman diving to the ground trying to cut block not sound like an injury waiting to happen?

Maybe I don't understand the whole cut blocking tecnique...
diving to the ground isn't cut blocking. It is what they do, when they can't successfully cut an opponent.

But just like Owen dove into the backs of Winston's legs(an injury waiting to happen), that wasn't his intent.... but it happened any way. ON the backside of a run play, offensive linemen will dive to the ground, and end up rolling on the backs of the defenders legs. Again, an injury waiting to happen.

Owen had good position on the DE. I don't know why he went to the ground the way he did. All he needed to do, was stop, and impede the progress of the DE. Winston would have got to the second level, and blocked the LB that eventually got Chris Taylor as he entered the hole.
Old 08-12-2008   #17
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
IIRC, It was a misunderstanding from misreading an article.

That the Texans weren't using cutblocks during practice, but would during the preseason.

That Denver wouldn't mind because they are accustomed to it.
Old 08-12-2008   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Owen had good position on the DE. I don't know why he went to the ground the way he did. All he needed to do, was stop, and impede the progress of the DE. Winston would have got to the second level, and blocked the LB that eventually got Chris Taylor as he entered the hole.
OOooohhhhh... Is that what happened on that play? Or are you talking about the play I think you're talking about?

If it's the play I think you're talking about, I thought that was a bad read by Taylor because it seemed to me that he was going to get yards without cutting back but then he cut back into a LB.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #19
RED_ROOSTER
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro59 View Post
I didn't see any consistency from Taylor or any of the running backs. Which isn't that bad considering it was the first preseason game.

I still believe Walker wants it more than any of the other backs, minus Slaton
Maybe you need to watch the game again, and also you're right I forgot to mention Walker there. Darius sure did run with urgency.
Old 08-12-2008   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's Frye making a cut block. It appear to be successful. Dreeson and White had problems.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read