Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-12-2008   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kubiak says Earl Cochran is serious threat to start at strongside DE

On Sunday, Kubiak took his praise to a new level when he said Cochran is pushing Anthony Weaver for a starting job on the left side opposite Mario Williams.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5937564.html
Here's my question, why even keep Weaver around if the HC has them rated that closely ? Afterall, we've already established that Weaver is not a pass-rusher and if Cochran is playing this well, why keep the far more expensive Weaver on the roster when Earl can get the job done vs. the run ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #2
Polo

Default Re: Kubiak says Earl Cochran is serious threat to start at strongside DE

I hope Cochran beats out Weaver...

I think in this scheme Weaver's skills = back up/situational player at best...
Old 08-12-2008   #3
stiff
Rookie

Default Re: Kubiak says Earl Cochran is serious threat to start at strongside DE

Thats the main reason to keep him around, depth. Worst case scenario keep him for training camp fodder. At this point you cannot have too much depth. There will be some "suprise" guys that will probably be cut this year.
stiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #4
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm all for it! He deserves it.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #5
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

I'm not ready to cut anyone when it is nice having depth for a change. But I am glad Earl is pushing for the spot. I havent felt like Weaver has given much effort since coming here and maybe some competition will light a fire under his hide.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #6
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frak The Jags View Post
I'm not ready to cut anyone when it is nice having depth for a change. But I am glad Earl is pushing for the spot. I havent felt like Weaver has given much effort since coming here and maybe some competition will light a fire under his hide.
He's a three-four end stuck on a four-three team. Weaver neither created the situation or circumstance. That would be Charlie Caslery and Dom Capers. The crime here would be not getting any value for the guy after keeping him around for two extra years. That's on Smithiak.
Old 08-12-2008   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

seems the focus should be on Cochran moving forward. Weaver brings veteren leadership, good guy & while mentoring his linemates I'm sure he's still got a trick or two up his sleave, just remember its a process thats headed in a positive direction.

I just hope for the same @ the RB position

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2008   #8
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
He's a three-four end stuck on a four-three team. Weaver neither created the situation or circumstance. That would be Charlie Caslery and Dom Capers. The crime here would be not getting any value for the guy after keeping him around for two extra years. That's on Smithiak.
Seriously, based on his play and contract, who is going to spend anything not called a 6th or 7th round draft pick (if that) on Weaver?
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #9
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
On Sunday, Kubiak took his praise to a new level when he said Cochran is pushing Anthony Weaver for a starting job on the left side opposite Mario Williams.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5937564.html
Here's my question, why even keep Weaver around if the HC has them rated that closely ? Afterall, we've already established that Weaver is not a pass-rusher and if Cochran is playing this well, why keep the far more expensive Weaver on the roster when Earl can get the job done vs. the run ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I hope Cochran beats out Weaver...

I think in this scheme Weaver's skills = back up/situational player at best...
If Cochran beats him out he starts and before anyone says cut Weaver .. I rather his keep him as for depth because of all the crap this team has gone through the last two years. Like I have been arguing with Polo, Weaver does very well against the run but if Cochran can do both better or it is marginal losing out on the plus of the run stoppage by Weaver then you go with Cochran but you do not cut off a toe even though 4 will work just fine.
Old 08-12-2008   #10
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
...if Cochran is playing this well, why keep the far more expensive Weaver on the roster when Earl can get the job done vs. the run ?
Because Weaver is even more expensive to cut. Weaver is signed through 2010, so there are 3 seasons of unamortized bonus money remaining on the salary cap. There may be other cap considerations, as well. aj might be able to shed some light on that, and Keith @ inthebullseye.com may have written on this topic. Bottom line, Weaver has to stay...even as a high priced backup. Heck, he might even be able to stay healthy with a limited role.
Old 08-12-2008   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Seriously, based on his play and contract, who is going to spend anything not called a 6th or 7th round draft pick (if that) on Weaver?
I don't know but twenty four months seems like ample time to wrangle two six packs and a ham sandwich for him. Still got three weeks to go. Someone could get hurt still. What I don't want to see is a bunch of crying come October if the guy does get cut and the right side collapses against the run. Do you need a pass specalist if your always in third and short ? Lets start Earl with the A team. Inquiring minds would like to see it.
Old 08-12-2008   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Because Weaver is even more expensive to cut. Weaver is signed through 2010, so there are 3 seasons of unamortized bonus money remaining on the salary cap. There may be other cap considerations, as well. aj might be able to shed some light on that, and Keith @ inthebullseye.com may have written on this topic. Bottom line, Weaver has to stay...even as a high priced backup. Heck, he might even be able to stay healthy with a limited role.
I knew there was a sizable number setting there, but didn't know they had
3 remaining years to write-off, thought it was just 2 (which is bad enough).
OK, thanks.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #13
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Who thinks Earl can stay healthy an entire season as a true DE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.

Last edited by PapaL; 08-13-2008 at 11:28 AM.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #14
bollocks
Veteran

What I wonder is how Weaver would react to the idea of losing his starting job to Cochran. Anyone else think that he may not be entirely happy with being a back up?

Should he ask for a trade in this circumstance, what do you think we could get for him?

This is all hypothetical, of course.
Old 08-12-2008   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125942 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would they sign Weaver to a 5 yr high dollar deal?

CC must have seemed like Santa Claus to Weaver.

It's hard to believe a NFL GM could be as stupid as CC if I didn't see it with my own eyes.

NFL Networks credibilty took a hit when they hired CC as an expert.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125942 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Who thinks Earl can stay healthy an entire season aa a true DE?
I think he can stay healthy all year. Maybe that is the optimist in me. (Some thing thais clearly lacking on this MB).
Old 08-12-2008   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollocks View Post
What I wonder is how Weaver would react to the idea of losing his starting job to Cochran. Anyone else think that he may not be entirely happy with being a back up?

Should he ask for a trade in this circumstance, what do you think we could get for him?

This is all hypothetical, of course.
A bag of chips.

There is the realist in me.
Old 08-12-2008   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if the FO has even made an attempt to restructure Weavers contract. IMO, that'd be the best scenerio for the team. AJ did it, so why can't Weaver?
Old 08-12-2008   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
IMO, that'd be the best scenerio for the team. AJ did it, so why can't Weaver?
AJ got a big signing bonus to restructure. I don't think the Texans want to throw good $$$ to Weaver after bad. Best thing is just to pay out Weaver's contract this season, and release him next offseason.
Old 08-12-2008   #20
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Dunta must be pissing himself with fear with the thought of cochran on the field all of the time with him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read