Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-20-2004   #1
supertankman
Rookie

Default Domanick Davis, any questions?

Anyone still questioning Domanick Davis as our main back next year?
supertankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #2
AndreJ
All Pro

I think for about 95% of us the answer is no. The run blocking is starting to come along pretty nicely and davis is gettin more patient and comfortable with it as he said in an interview earlier this week.
Old 12-20-2004   #3
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Of course. I will continue to question it. Davis did almost get 100 yards, but it was against the 24th ranked rush defense who give up 4.3 yards a carry so lets not get too giddy...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #4
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreJ
The run blocking is starting to come along pretty nicely and davis is gettin more patient and comfortable with it as he said in an interview earlier this week.
Have any of yall noticed that when Davis has a good run, one of the annoucers says "great block by ____." Davis cant make things happen by himself. Franchise backs make things happen by themselves with no help. Example: Jamal Lewis today had a play where it was 3rd or 4th down with 13 yards to go. Boller was rushed and Lewis caught if for 3 yards and then broke 3 tackles to make sure he got the 1st. Davis cant put his will on defenders...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 12-20-2004   #5
big sarge
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 big sarge is on the Pro-Bowl ballotbig sarge is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

This is true. While Davis is a good back, I don't think Davis is a good fit for the Texans. They need a physical back that can make people pay for trying to tackle him. It's kinda like when your a kid and your dad hovers over you and beats the fear of God in you, and you grow up to respect him. I think opposing defenses will let Davis get his 100 yards a game because they know for the Texans to win, Carr has to be on the mark and in control. Thats what a QB does.
God!
Family!
Country!
Texans!!!
big sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #6
AndreJ
All Pro

I think its pretty obvious, that he isn't a J. Lewis or Ahman Green, Duce McCallister. But how many running back in the league can 3 tackles and drag a defender on his back to carry them across the 1st down line. Sure he's not the greatest, but he has been getting the job done in the past two weeks.

And of those players i mentioned above. When was the last time one of them had 201 total yards of offense.
Old 12-20-2004   #7
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think its pretty obvious, that he isn't a J. Lewis or Ahman Green, Duce McCallister. But how many running back in the league can 3 tackles and drag a defender on his back to carry them across the 1st down line. Sure he's not the greatest, but he has been getting the job done in the past two weeks.

And of those players i mentioned above. When was the last time one of them had 201 total yards of offense.
Getting the job done doesnt make you a franchise back. Heck, Emmitt Smith is getting the job done in Arizona but he isnt the franchise back over there. (And I hate to tell you that Smith and Davis are both averaging 3.6 yards per carry)

I really dont want to pull up the stats but I can predict that the last time each of the three players you named got 201 yards, their team won. The 201 yards Davis got were empty because the Colts gave them to him because it would help the Colts win the game.

----Edit
Okay, I lied. I looked up stats for Green and the last time he got 200+ yards was against the Broncos at the end of last season when he put up 227 total yards and the Pack won 31-3.

Sponsored links
Old 12-20-2004   #8
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
The 201 yards Davis got were empty because the Colts gave them to him because it would help the Colts win the game.
I'm sorry but that may have been the stupidest thing i have ever heard. I dont understand how and why a team gives 201 yards to anyone to help them win a game. first its not his fault they lost the game. Carr played horrible that game and the passing game was shutdown. Not to mention our D went up against the what i recall is the 1st ranked offense in the league. If it hadn't been for Davis putting the offense on his back we would have seen antoher blowout like we did in INDY. DD accounts from damn near 50% of the Texans offense.

And if you don't mind me asking what is your definition of a franchise back?
Old 12-20-2004   #9
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I still question it. I love the guy but he simply is not durable enough to be the back that we need. he has already shown that.

He has the skills...but that isnt enough for the offense we want to run. I really dont want to see him leave.. but if we get a big workhorse back that can do the job.. I hope we can trade him to someone for a nice profit.

on the other hand.. if our Oline improves and gives Davis some nice holes.. his durability wont be as much of a factor and he COULD be our franchise back. Or if he just toughens up.. that is a possibility too.

Time will tell.. but no, at this point in time he is not, in my mind, our franchise back.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #10
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm sorry but that may have been the stupidest thing i have ever heard. I dont understand how and why a team gives 201 yards to anyone to help them win a game. first its not his fault they lost the game. Carr played horrible that game and the passing game was shutdown. Not to mention our D went up against the what i recall is the 1st ranked offense in the league. If it hadn't been for Davis putting the offense on his back we would have seen antoher blowout like we did in INDY. DD accounts from damn near 50% of the Texans offense.

And if you don't mind me asking what is your definition of a franchise back?
I wish I could find that article about empty yards that John Clayton wrote on ESPN.com. I will. You can think its stupid but it worked for the Colts. They didnt want AJ/Gaff/Bradford to touch the ball so they allowed Davis to get the ball virtually every play because they knew Davis couldnt kill them and AJ could. Have any of you guys ever noticed that Davis is always open in the flat??? If defenses were really scared of him, wouldnt they tell a LB to cover him??? They dont tell LBs to cover him because they want Davis to get the ball. The passing game was shut down because the Colts focused on the WRs and didnt worry about Davis. And when Davis accounts for 50% of the offense, we lose.

My defenition of a frachise back is someone who can last most of the season and doesnt always have nagging injurys. A franchise back also has to be someone who can get the tough yards and make something out of nothing. Has to be able to run over people and run past people.

Old 12-20-2004   #11
ComstockLode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertankman
Anyone still questioning Domanick Davis as our main back next year?

Get back to me when he stays healthy through a whole season, and averages over 4.0 ypc. Or maybe even a good performance against a good defense...
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #12
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
I wish I could find that article about empty yards that John Clayton wrote on ESPN.com. I will.
Bingo. An Example of empty yards: Empty Yards by John Clayton

There is another one I am trying to find, though.

Old 12-20-2004   #13
AndreJ
All Pro

Ok im just gonna stop here, its 12:16 in the morning and frankly i dont give a damn anymore i think he has a lot of potential with it only being his second year and you don't.

Glad you feel that way

Bottom line good game today, We win evrybody is happy.
See yall l8r today.
Old 12-20-2004   #14
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Ok im just gonna stop here, its 12:16 in the morning and frankly i dont give a damn anymore i think he has a lot of potential with it only being his second year and you don't.

Glad you feel that way

Bottom line good game today, We win evrybody is happy.
See yall l8r today.
Good night, but he doesnt have potential. Someone who has potential has top line speed or is someone who has unbelievable strength. What you see with Davis is what we are going to get for years to come if he is our franchise back...

Old 12-20-2004   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

The most important stat is touchdowns. When Dom gets his huge yardage figures off of dump passes, they have worth, but exactly what is that worth when you are not scoring TD's? Dom has 55 receptions and 1 TD. Next, compare that to a running back that puts fear in an opposing defense when he catches a dump off pass. Brian Westbrook gives the Eagles offense incredible diversity and puts real fear in opposing defenses. Westbrook has 65 receptions and 6 TD's so far. Westbrook is a pure threat. He can beat you with a simple dump off pass on a given play. This reception stat line isn't "empty" for Westbrook because he makes teams pay. Dom's 55 touches with one TD does not strike any fear in enemy defenses over the course of a season (two more games and its over this year).

Dom is going to make a great complimentary back for a long time here, but durability is his other fatal issue as an NFL lead back. The NFL season is too short to be unsure if your back is durable enough to take on a season without missing games. Each game is extremely important, next year we want to make a playoff run so I can't see us going into next year just hoping that Dom stays healthy. Heck, one more win and we are still talking playoffs around here this week. One game can blow your playoffs slot or simply being nicked up during the playoffs will make us change our offense if we rely on Dom and just hope he will do what he has never done.

I am stealing this next part from what I posted at hpf but I don't mind. I think those who think that we will not pursue a back next year isn't looking deep enough at what kind of offense we are trying to model. Look at what happened when the Steelers shored up their running game with Staley. Last year they knew that Bettis would need to give up touches and the Steelers have pounded the league to a one-loss season so far as Staley has allowed them to keep within their offense. Last year they were 6-10. Staley isn't a superstar, but he was another solid back to give the Steelers a dependable running attack from game to game. The season is too short to become a playoff factor having to rely on a back like Dom with Wells and Hollings as the only other alternatives. We can't 'rely' on Hollings or keep assuming we will get him up to the level of an NFL feature back (if it happens it happens at this point) and I don't consider Wells a quality starter on a playoff caliber team.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #16
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

Never questioned DD as the main back. Just wishing they'd let Carr throw the ball more.
HoustonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #17
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

DD is a good 3rd down back. Nothing more, nothing less.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #18
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

All things being considered, Davis will start his career with consecutive 1000 yard seasons. Its about as good as a start you could ask for from a 4th round pick.

No, he is not an edgarin James or a Ricky Williams, but he has an extremely promising start to his career. With better blocking up front, and getting over that fumbling problem he should be even better next year.

At least he is fine for the next season, no draft picks or high draft picks need to be invested in the RB position.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #19
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I am just wondering. If it is Hollings instead of DD would the opposing defense have to respect him a little more?
Old 12-20-2004   #20
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Hollings has better flat out speed than Davis but the problem with him is that first you have to be able to see a hole between the tackles, then be able to cut into it, then run to daylight without ripping your hammy before anything else can happen...
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read