Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-11-2008   #1
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jacque Reeves#35 = Disappointing

I hate to neg everyone out and I also know that it's been one game, but I was not impressed with this guy's play. He was out of position a couple of times last night and it seemed like everytime a big gain was made by the Broncos it was on his side. I am almost wanting Faggins out there with the 1's.

He was soooo blocked on the Cutler td, by a ROOKIE wr. I mean come on. I think there was two times he gave up a completion with decent coverage, but it didn't seem like he wanted to try and bat the ball down. He just seems like Faggins part two to me at this point.

I didn't want to post this after the training camp practices, but now that I have seen him play badly in a game situation I feel that I can express my concerns.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #2
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jacque Reeves#35 = Disappointing

i disagree. i thought he had some positives. did you see the angle faggins took on that backside run? yuk.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #3
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think I'll let someone play more than a couple of series before crucifying them.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #4
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

and he didn't even play that poorly.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #5
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

personally I think fletcher will take the job early and molden will take it later so I don't really sweat it.
Old 08-11-2008   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Reeves is going to win the annual "Matt Stevens" award which goes to the player who gets to bear the largest share of fan anger in the secondary every year. "Petey" Faggins has won it every year since Philip Buchanon left the team but his run will come to an end this year as Jacque Reeves takes his spot (until Antwan Moldon is ready) and becomes the 2008 goat of choice.

He is a very ordinary CB who is at best just a couple of notches higher on the pecking order than Petey. They had to do something though and their options were pretty limited. It's not like they wanted to start the year with Petey or a rookie CB playing opposite of Bennett.
Old 08-11-2008   #7
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
i disagree. i thought he had some positives. did you see the angle faggins took on that backside run? yuk.
I was watching the game when I started this thread. I saw his poor play with my own eyes at the game and on film. I encourage you to rewatch the Broncos second drive, when Cutler scored. The dude definitely shouldn't be starting IMO.
Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2008   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Shaft, I wouldn't single out just Reeves. No one person impressed me all that much in the secondary. There were plays made here or there - sure, but I saw a lot of open receivers.

Not going to panic, though. Two weeks of practice and first game so plenty of time to sort things out and get it right.
Old 08-11-2008   #9
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Ill give him more time than one preseason game. I dont expect much from him to be honest, but we shall see. If he blows, we got some young talent that can slide right in and not really do any worse, right?
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Reeves is going to win the annual "Matt Stevens" award which goes to the player who gets to bear the largest share of fan anger in the secondary every year. "Petey" Faggins has won it every year since Philip Buchanon left the team but his run will come to an end this year as Jacque Reeves takes his spot (until Antwan Moldon is ready) and becomes the 2008 goat of choice.

He is a very ordinary CB who is at best just a couple of notches higher on the pecking order than Petey. They had to do something though and their options were pretty limited. It's not like they wanted to start the year with Petey or a rookie CB playing opposite of Bennett.
Post of the month.

This is the least experienced group of cornerbacks the Texans have ever run out on the field. Though some show promise, this season could be a brutality on the backend. Of course, we are pretty much used to this since the departure of Glenn for being an old guy.

This secondary is going to get zero calls in their favor. Less than zero against a Manning Colts.

The only hope is that Ray Rhodes sprinkles some magic secondary dust that instantly improves all of the secondary's football IQ.
Old 08-11-2008   #11
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bennett + Molden + Reeves + Faggins + Fletcher (he looked good) + (hopefully) Drob eventually

We should be able to find 2 starters in there somewhere
Old 08-11-2008   #12
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
I think I'll let someone play more than a couple of series before crucifying them.
Reread what I wrote man. I said that I wanted to post this in preseason, BUT I wanted to see him in game action before I, as you put it, crucified him.

Look, I watched him with the Cowgirls, I watched him at practice, and now I have seen some game action. After all of those I never came away thinking that this guy should be our starter. Never.
Old 08-11-2008   #13
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

He's a tampa II CB. As long as he isn't asked to man up speed, and he's droping off, he'll be ok. it would of been nice in the first round to get Talib & Stewart & Duane Brown....under the circumstances I think they did a superb job of filling four holes with the two original high picks. I've got no regrets and can live with Reeves for half a season.
Old 08-11-2008   #14
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's a tampa II CB. As long as he isn't asked to man up speed, and he's droping off, he'll be ok. it would of been nice in the first round to get Talib & Stewart & Duane Brown....under the circumstances I think they did a superb job of filling four holes with the two original high picks. I've got no regrets and can live with Reeves for half a season.
Great post...
Old 08-11-2008   #15
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Reeves is not a starting CB on most teams, but when he was signed, it was almost a desperation move. He is a solid CB that won't do anything special and will give up some plays. He isn't worth close to what he is being paid, but as someone (KT? Cak?) pointed out, he has a contract that is friendly to terminate early. I have no problems with him on the team for now. Don't compare any NFL CB to Faggins.
Old 08-12-2008   #16
A Texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Actually, what the Texans liked about Reeves was his speed and his proficiency playing in a man defense. They didn't really care that he had problems when he was in a zone with the Cowboys because the Texans dont use zone normally.http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/5924504.html
A Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #17
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I thought he had some good and bad spots in his PT Saturday. He's not Dunta but he's not Petey either so that's an upgrade. I'd like to see more of Molden in the next game, I hope he can have a season similar to Bennet's rookie season. If he can do that all this worry over Reeves starting should be moot.
Old 08-12-2008   #18
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Post of the month.

This is the least experienced group of cornerbacks the Texans have ever run out on the field. Though some show promise, this season could be a brutality on the backend. Of course, we are pretty much used to this since the departure of Glenn for being an old guy.

This secondary is going to get zero calls in their favor. Less than zero against a Manning Colts.

The only hope is that Ray Rhodes sprinkles some magic secondary dust that instantly improves all of the secondary's football IQ.
And to think that we had one of the best sets of CBs in the NFL 2002-2004 in Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman....
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #19
kravix
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 kravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballotkravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
He was soooo blocked on the Cutler td, by a ROOKIE wr. I mean come on. I think there was two times he gave up a completion with decent coverage, but it didn't seem like he wanted to try and bat the ball down. He just seems like Faggins part two to me at this point.
Are you talking about the TD run? Look at the film again.. The OLB messed that play up, he bit on the run fake to the right and dropped his outside containment.

Had Reeves droped his man to run down, Cutler probably would have thrown the TD before he hit the line and you would be complaining about piss poor coverage. Once Cutler broke the line and couldnt pass the chances of him not getting in were pretty slim.
kravix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #20
RED_ROOSTER
Veteran

Yea I didn't much care for him when he was in Dallas, and that's exactly why Dallas traded him... Now he can always improve and I hope he does for the Texans sake...
RED_ROOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read