Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-10-2008   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 53 man roster, guesses after 60 minutes:

QB: schaub, rosenfels, boyd
RB: green, brown, taylor, slaton
FB: Leach
WR: AJ, KW, JJ, AD, DA
TE: OD, Dressen, Krause
OT: Brown, Winston, Butler, Frye
OG: Briesel, Pitts, Studdard, (Weary?)if healthy and we keep 10
C: Meyers, White
KBrown, Pittman, Turk

DE: Mario, Colvin, Cochran, Weaver, Kalu
DT: Okam, TJ, Okoye, Maddox
LB: Demeco, Bentley, Diles, Greenwood, Adibi, Thompson (too versatile to cut
CB: Fletcher, Reeves, Bennett, Molden, Faggins (only while Dunta is PUP'd)
S: Demps, DBarber, Brown, Harrison, Earl

If we keep 10 OL, then maybe we cut Maddox and use Weaver more at DT and only go with 8 DL, using Thompson as a backup DE.

Buhlman was consisantly the slowest man off the ball at the line of scrimmage. There's no way he makes the sqaud if that doesn't get corrected.

Butler and Frye's performance at tackle secure their spot and likely sign the release of Salaam, barring injuries.

Bruener is just too stiff and slow for this scheme and he was playing behind Dressen.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 349460 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 53 man roster, guesses after 60 minutes:

Deljuan was looking pretty good. He's going to be tough to cut.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #3
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

they wont cut Salaam in Browns rookie season for 2 unproven players when Frye still has 2 years of PS eligibility... come on.

Bulman will make the team. if he cant fix the off the line problems at DE they will move him back inside where he is more comfortable and cut Maddox IMO.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #4
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

QB: Rosenfels, Schaub.
RB: Brown, Green, Walker, Slaton.
FB: Leach.
TE: Bruener, Daniels, Dreessen.
WR: Anderson, Davis, Johnson, Jones, Walter.
T: Brown, Butler, Frye, Salaam, Winston.
G: Brisiel, Studdard, Weary, Pitts.
C: Myers, White
K: Brown
P: Turk
LS: Pittman
DE: Cochran, Weaver, Williams, Bulman
DT: Maddox, Okam, Okoye, Johnson.
LB: Adibi, Bentley, Colvin, Diles, Greenwood, Ryans, Thompson.
CB:Bennett, Fletcher, Molden, Reeves, Robinson.
S: Brown, Demps, Harrison, Earl.

Here is my best guess, I think the one on the thinnest ground is probably Harrison, I like idea of him as he is the smart Standford kid.... but Barber or some other S may get there ahead of him.

Other controversial (?) moves being no Kalu and only 1 FB.
Old 08-10-2008   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
QB: Rosenfels, Schaub.
RB: Brown, Green, Walker, Slaton.
TE: Bruener, Daniels, Dreessen.
WR: Anderson, Davis, Johnson, Jones, Walter.
T: Brown, Butler, Frye, Salaam, Winston.
G: Brisiel, Studdard, Weary, Pitts.
DE: Cochran, Weaver, Williams, Bulman
DT: Maddox, Okam, Okoye, Johnson.
LB: Adibi, Bentley, Colvin, Diles, Greenwood, Ryans, Thompson.

Here is my best guess, I think the one on the thinnest ground is probably Harrison, I like idea of him as he is the smart Standford kid.... but Barber or some other S may get there ahead of him.

Other controversial (?) moves being no Kalu and only 1 FB.
Well, there is NO way we keep 11 OLmen. It's unlikely we keep 10, though possible. So, figure out who of those 11 you'd cut because at least 1 will definitely not be on the roster.
Old 08-11-2008   #6
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

is it that unreasonable that we'd keep 6 RB's? including Leach. i think it's 3 QB's or 6 RB's. after watching Butler and Frye I will officially jump onto the cut salaa.... i will watch them closely next saturday to decide salaams fate.

safeties are tricky. both harrison and barber looked good. earl has experience, we'll have to see what happens in the next week or so when those two get some reps with the 1's.

side note: roberson looked good. excited about him on the PS.

man, bulman looked slow off the line. i never saw the okam aggressively to the ball thing. they don't make the team if that continues. but i'll wait to call okam out since so many others seemed to see it.

i think WR's and CB's are a lock at this point baring injuries.

i don't see weary coming back from his situation.

i don't think bruener makes the squad either.

OL locks are Brown, Pitts, Meyers, Briesel, Winston, Butler, Studdard (i don't know why), White. That leaves Salaam, Frye and Weary and Weary is against the odds because we are deeper at G because so many of our guys can play that position. So I only have 8 for sure OL's. Maybe we only keep 9.

2 QB's
6 RB's
5 WR's
9 OL's
3 TE's
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #7
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
is it that unreasonable that we'd keep 6 RB's? including Leach. i think it's 3 QB's or 6 RB's. after watching Butler and Frye I will officially jump onto the cut salaa.... i will watch them closely next saturday to decide salaams fate.

safeties are tricky. both harrison and barber looked good. earl has experience, we'll have to see what happens in the next week or so when those two get some reps with the 1's.

side note: roberson looked good. excited about him on the PS.

man, bulman looked slow off the line. i never saw the okam aggressively to the ball thing. they don't make the team if that continues. but i'll wait to call okam out since so many others seemed to see it.

i think WR's and CB's are a lock at this point baring injuries.

i don't see weary coming back from his situation.

i don't think bruener makes the squad either.

OL locks are Brown, Pitts, Meyers, Briesel, Winston, Butler, Studdard (i don't know why), White. That leaves Salaam, Frye and Weary and Weary is against the odds because we are deeper at G because so many of our guys can play that position. So I only have 8 for sure OL's. Maybe we only keep 9.

2 QB's
6 RB's
5 WR's
9 OL's
3 TE's
Kubiak seemed pretty sure he wanted 3 QBs during the offseason but im with you. 6 rbs makes more sense seeing as, so far, we havn't seen any life in the running game and the more weapons you have the better off your going to be.
Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2008   #8
Polo

Ben Moffit looked pretty good to me....

He missed that one guy is space, but the guy seemed to have a good nose for the ball...

I wanna see more of him...
Old 08-11-2008   #9
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

isnt Frye and Studdard still PS eligible? if so they both stay regardless of Salaam and Weary. Okam will at least make the PS also. I'll have wait on the TE situation. Bruener I think is too valuable in short yardage blocking situations and in the lockerroom to write him off just yet.

The RB situation is still too early to call. I can see Chris Brown getting dumped in favor of a "to be named later" signing wich I'm sure is emminent. I think they will hold on to Green unless he can't show some promise of things to come at some point during preseason. Chris Taylor is on the bubble unless he can get consistent and block well. Slaton will make the team at least on the PS as inurance on the walking wounded.
Old 08-11-2008   #10
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
isnt Frye and Studdard still PS eligible? if so they both stay regardless of Salaam and Weary. Okam will at least make the PS also. I'll have wait on the TE situation. Bruener I think is too valuable in short yardage blocking situations and in the lockerroom to write him off just yet.

The RB situation is still too early to call. I can see Chris Brown getting dumped in favor of a "to be named later" signing wich I'm sure is emminent. I think they will hold on to Green unless he can't show some promise of things to come at some point during preseason. Chris Taylor is on the bubble unless he can get consistent and block well. Slaton will make the team at least on the PS as inurance on the walking wounded.
You can't stash players on the P.S. They have to clear waivers weekly to be on the P.S... So, there's no way Slaton goes on the P.S., probably not Okam, Studdard, or Frye either- particularly if Frye looks as good in upcoming preseason games as he did Saturday.

By the way, barring injury, Chris Taylor definitely makes the team!
Old 08-12-2008   #11
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
You can't stash players on the P.S. They have to clear waivers weekly to be on the P.S... So, there's no way Slaton goes on the P.S., probably not Okam, Studdard, or Frye either- particularly if Frye looks as good in upcoming preseason games as he did Saturday.

By the way, barring injury, Chris Taylor definitely makes the team!
agreed Taylor is in although, it disturbs me to say, the only reason i can think of so far in the preseason is because of his versatility to play FB. i mean come on 10 carries and a whopping total of 19 yards doesn't shout shoe in and i know that the run blocking is never up to snuff but you still have to be disappointed with that showing. I still think we can squeeze Frye and Okam into PS but Studdard is a lock seeing how many true guards are on the roster.
Old 08-12-2008   #12
A Texan
Veteran

I'd say if Kalu keeps playing like he did against Denver, there's no way he'll get cut. That guy that he was going against is listed on Denver's depth chart as their starting right tackle and it was such a mismatch that the guy had to hold Kalu on 2 consecutive plays, resulting in 20 yds. in penalties. It will be interesting to see if he can keep it up. Apparently that surgery has made a new man of him.
A Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #13
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

As much as it pains me, we'll probably have to keep Weaver simply because of his cap figure. Dude is just so unproductive though.
Texan JBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 349460 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's my rough estimate, subject to change at any moment:

QB: Schaub, Sage, Boyd
RB: Green, Brown, Slaton, Walker
FB: Leach, Taylor
WR: AJ, KW, AD, DA, JJ
TE: OD, Joel Dreessen, Ryan Krause
OT: Brown, Winston, Salaam, Butler
G: Brisiel, Pitts, Studdard
C; Myers, White

DE: Mario, Cochran, Colvin, (ND Kalu/Weaver)
DT: Amobi, TJ, Okam, Robinson, Bulman
LB: Demeco, Greenwood, Diles, Bentley, Adibi, Cooley/Thompson
CB: Bennet, Reeves, Fletcher, Molden, Faggins
S: Demps, CC, Ferguson, Barber/Harrison

Pittman
Turk
Brown

PS - Brink, Harrison/Barber, Moffitt
PUP - Dunta

I think ONE of N.D. Kalu and Anthony Weaver make the team. It might be Weaver.

I think Deljuan Robinson and Bulman make the team and might play DE in running situations.

I'm not sure between Kevis Cooley, who's doing great things on special teams, or Chaun Thompson who I heard a lot about coming INTO camp but haven't heard much about since then.

And one of Harrison and Barber makes the team and the other goes on the practice squad. I like what I've been hearing about Barber so I think he's going to get the nod. It was hard for me to cut Glenn Earl, though. I have a hard time imagining him getting cut. But Ferguson has looked pretty good. I'm just not sure about what's going to happen with the safeties.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #15
bollocks
Veteran

QB: Schaub, Rosenfels, Boyd.
RB: Green, Brown, Walker, Slaton.
TE: Daniels, Dreessen, Bruener.
WR: Johnson, Walter, Davis, Anderson, Jones
T: Brown, Salaam, Frye, Winston
G: Brisiel, Studdard, Pitts, Spencer.
DE: Williams, Weaver, Cochran, Bulman
DT: Okoye, Okam, Johnson, Maddox
LB: Ryans, Colvin, Adibi, Thompson, Bentley, Diles.

PS: Brink, Barber, Moffit
PUP: Robinson

Just a guess, I wont be able to make an educated guess until after the last preseason game.
Old 08-12-2008   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Here's my rough estimate, subject to change at any moment:

QB: Schaub, Sage, Boyd
RB: Green, Brown, Slaton, Walker
FB: Leach, Taylor
WR: AJ, KW, AD, DA, JJ
TE: OD, Joel Dreessen, Ryan Krause
OT: Brown, Winston, Salaam, Butler
G: Brisiel, Pitts, Studdard
C; Myers, White

DE: Mario, Cochran, Colvin, (ND Kalu/Weaver)
DT: Amobi, TJ, Okam, Robinson, Bulman
LB: Demeco, Greenwood, Diles, Bentley, Adibi, Cooley/Thompson
CB: Bennet, Reeves, Fletcher, Molden, Faggins
S: Demps, CC, Ferguson, Barber/Harrison

Pittman
Turk
Brown

PS - Brink, Harrison/Barber, Moffitt
PUP - Dunta

I think ONE of N.D. Kalu and Anthony Weaver make the team. It might be Weaver.

I think Deljuan Robinson and Bulman make the team and might play DE in running situations.

I'm not sure between Kevis Cooley, who's doing great things on special teams, or Chaun Thompson who I heard a lot about coming INTO camp but haven't heard much about since then.

And one of Harrison and Barber makes the team and the other goes on the practice squad. I like what I've been hearing about Barber so I think he's going to get the nod. It was hard for me to cut Glenn Earl, though. I have a hard time imagining him getting cut. But Ferguson has looked pretty good. I'm just not sure about what's going to happen with the safeties.

I think I can agree with this roster. It's going to be interesting to see who gets the last DE, DT and LB spots.

I'd like to see more of Krause the next couple of games. He's looked good during camp and I'd like to see someone beat Bruener out of a job.

Thompson needs to get his butt on the field, and fast!
Old 08-12-2008   #17
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollocks View Post
QB: Schaub, Rosenfels, Boyd.
RB: Green, Brown, Walker, Slaton.
TE: Daniels, Dreessen, Bruener.
WR: Johnson, Walter, Davis, Anderson, Jones
T: Brown, Salaam, Frye, Winston
G: Brisiel, Studdard, Pitts, Spencer.
DE: Williams, Weaver, Cochran, Bulman
DT: Okoye, Okam, Johnson, Maddox
LB: Ryans, Colvin, Adibi, Thompson, Bentley, Diles.

PS: Brink, Barber, Moffit
PUP: Robinson

Just a guess, I wont be able to make an educated guess until after the last preseason game.

I don't think Bulman can stick as a DE- He was ridiculously slow off the ball on Saturday.. probably because he's still in a 4 point stance, which is a big problem at DE.

Also, I think you have 52... also, you have Robinson on the roster and on the PUP..

I think we might go with a 9th Lineman and probably Faggins if Dunta is PUP'd
Old 08-12-2008   #18
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
they wont cut Salaam in Browns rookie season for 2 unproven players when Frye still has 2 years of PS eligibility... come on.

Bulman will make the team. if he cant fix the off the line problems at DE they will move him back inside where he is more comfortable and cut Maddox IMO.
You know I've been thinking about this...always dangerous I know.

If they wanted to gamble and reward Salaam...I don't think too many teams would pick off a OLT over thirty with a recently scoped knee. Let him dangle for a week or two, then resign him to a better salary. It would afford them extra time to evaluate the young'uns. Keep a bubble guy they really have hopes for for anther week or two.
Old 08-12-2008   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I don't think Bulman can stick as a DE- He was ridiculously slow off the ball on Saturday.. probably because he's still in a 4 point stance, which is a big problem at DE.

Also, I think you have 52... also, you have Robinson on the roster and on the PUP..

I think we might go with a 9th Lineman and probably Faggins if Dunta is PUP'd
He might have meant Roberson. Other than the interference call Saturday, he's had a good camp. If I had to choose between Roberson and Faggins....it would be Roberson.
Old 08-12-2008   #20
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
agreed Taylor is in although, it disturbs me to say, the only reason i can think of so far in the preseason is because of his versatility to play FB. i mean come on 10 carries and a whopping total of 19 yards doesn't shout shoe in and i know that the run blocking is never up to snuff but you still have to be disappointed with that showing. I still think we can squeeze Frye and Okam into PS but Studdard is a lock seeing how many true guards are on the roster.
Keep in mind that Taylor was out all of last season and is coming back from an injury. I wasn't surprised that he did little against the Broncos. They run our offense for all practical purposes and our OL isn't exactly nailing it every time out.

Now if Taylor can't improve on that through the next couple of games then I think yeah, he's not picking it up.

Okam I think makes the final 53 as does Frye.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read