Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-19-2008   #81
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So our running back situation is solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I think Slaton should START against the Cowboys. I ALSO think we need a first round RB next draft, even if Slaton tears it up all year, because Slaton will probably get worn down in the long run--like DD.

Otherwise, however, I am not buying into this idea that we have to be a run first team. I think we should pass half the time, REGARDLESS OF WHAT WE DO ON 3RD AND 4TH DOWNS, which are pretty much determined by down and distance anyway. Lets pass half the time ON 1ST AND 2ND DOWN. We may already be doing that, and I'm just saying keep doing what works with your current personel. I know that the time will come when we need to run a lot more, like against the Colts probably, but we can need a better running game without insisting on run first, run first, regardless of what works.

Do I think Slaton can carry the load for one year? Probably. Let's find out before the season begins.

Do I think Slaton can carry the load for 4 years? Maybe, but I doubt it.

Let's do what works now and get a legitimate starter by next year. An extra one wouldn't hurt anyway.
I completely agree. Running the ball to set up the pass and play action is not such a great plan if you don't have a great running game to initiate it. Adjust the plays and strategy to what is working.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #82
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23128 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I kinda wonder why walker isn't playing more. I also wonder why green is given another olive branch. I like green, but going down like he has the last few times doesn't do it for me. I thought Taylor was going to do better, but he seems to overstep the hole while pressing downhill.
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #83
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think maybe Kubiak just feels like he already knows what he has with Walker. He's still looking at what he has with others and it's just preseason.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #84
KEYE SUX
Veteran

Rep Power: 8 KEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVP

I think WE ALL know what we have with Green. An aged, injury prone, multi million dollar sideline cheerleader
KEYE SUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #85
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 337 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I kinda wonder why walker isn't playing more. I also wonder why green is given another olive branch. I like green, but going down like he has the last few times doesn't do it for me. I thought Taylor was going to do better, but he seems to overstep the hole while pressing downhill.
Saw this on Megan Manfull's blog (talking about the upcoming cuts):

Quote:
Running back is another whole issue. There are young backs - Darius Walker, Chris Taylor - with a lot of upside. But then there's Ahman Green, who is clearly the team's best running back when he is healthy. While Darius Walker is still eligible for the practice squad, coach Gary Kubiak has already made it clear that Walker has done so much on the field already, that he doesn't think Walker would ever clear waivers. Another team would likely pick him up. If the Texans cut Jameel Cook and keep Taylor as a fullback/halfback, they could keep four backs. At this point, Shipp is on the outside looking in.
http://blogs.chron.com/gamedaytexans...er_texans.html
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #86
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly - I could care less who starts. Hell put the twins out there, I wouldn't complain. Now when Slaton gets his touches, we shall see who ends up starting. I swear I've been saying he's the same size as CP since we drafted him. It might take him a little time to adjust but he will be our guy this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #87
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58271 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I think Slaton should START against the Cowboys. I ALSO think we need a first round RB next draft, even if Slaton tears it up all year, because Slaton will probably get worn down in the long run--like DD.

Otherwise, however, I am not buying into this idea that we have to be a run first team. I think we should pass half the time, REGARDLESS OF WHAT WE DO ON 3RD AND 4TH DOWNS, which are pretty much determined by down and distance anyway. Lets pass half the time ON 1ST AND 2ND DOWN. We may already be doing that, and I'm just saying keep doing what works with your current personel. I know that the time will come when we need to run a lot more, like against the Colts probably, but we can need a better running game without insisting on run first, run first, regardless of what works.

Do I think Slaton can carry the load for one year? Probably. Let's find out before the season begins.

Do I think Slaton can carry the load for 4 years? Maybe, but I doubt it.

Let's do what works now and get a legitimate starter by next year. An extra one wouldn't hurt anyway.

I did a long writeup here before the boards merged. Running backs that carry the majority of the load won one of the last 11 or 12 superbowls. I don't remember the numbers (maybe I'll do it again) but you can get it done with a few guys contributing as much as one star. And you do it for presumably less money than you would have paid your hoss.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-19-2008   #88
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150820 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I finally saw the N.O. game yesterday, judging from what I saw, a lot of people are going to be disappointed in Steve Slaton, when he runs with the first team.

The second team, Frye, White, and Butler look to be having much better success against their competition, that our 1st team guys.

Chris Taylor looked to be the best back we put on the field, may have been because we saw so much of him...... his biggest problem I saw, was his patience. He's outrunning the fullback, and the OL to the hole. If he would have held back on his extra gear, a second or two longer, he could have seen the cutback lanes open up, and had a good game.
Old 08-19-2008   #89
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would have preferred that Kubiak didn't put Slaton in for the last series in the NO game. I'd rather put Taylor back in there to finish the game (or Walker if he was available) or just have Brink kneel down 3 times and get it over with.

He (Kube) confuses me big time.
(He said) We see Slaton as a change-of-pace type of back.
(He said) We as coaches need to find ways to put the players in a situation where they can succeed.

Yet, he's trying (IMO) to see if Slaton can do more up the middle.

As much as I'd love to see Slaton become a complete back, I'd rather take the safer approach and ease him into the rotation.
I don't even mind not playing him for a few games to start the season.

Or just let him have a few carries here and there.
Spread the field, let him run more outside zone plays, mixing with some draws, minimizing the inside zone run.

Put him in the slot, set him in motion, let him be the decoy (RB, haha), learn him to block on quick routes (so that he doesn't have to work on the defender too long), send him out on screen passes.

Depending on how well he adapts as the season goes along, slowly increase the number of touches. 12-15 toward the end of the year is the max I'm hoping for.

I'm not going to be dissappointed if he averages 2.55 ypc for a while (what Reggie Bush did in his first eight games. )
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #90
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I would have preferred that Kubiak didn't put Slaton in for the last series in the NO game. I'd rather put Taylor back in there to finish the game (or Walker if he was available) or just have Brink kneel down 3 times and get it over with.

(He said) We as coaches need to find ways to put the players in a situation where they can succeed.

As much as I'd love to see Slaton become a complete back, I'd rather take the safer approach and ease him into the rotation.

Or just let him have a few carries here and there.
Spread the field, let him run more outside zone plays, mixing with some draws, minimizing the inside zone run.

Put him in the slot, set him in motion, let him be the decoy (RB, haha), learn him to block on quick routes (so that he doesn't have to work on the defender too long), send him out on screen passes.

Depending on how well he adapts as the season goes along, slowly increase the number of touches. 12-15 toward the end of the year is the max I'm hoping for.

I'm not going to be dissappointed if he averages 2.55 ypc for a while (what Reggie Bush did in his first eight games. )

That would be nice if we had that luxury. Unfortunately you have to work with what you've got. From the body of work we've seen Slaton being in the game as much as possible gives us the best chance of winning. It would be great if we could ease him into the rotation, but we just dont have that luxury.
Old 08-19-2008   #91
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

It is simple in a way, to why Slaton is getting the carries he is. The other runningbacks of done bupkis. So Kubiak is trying to figure out the best plan for attack with the running game.
Old 08-19-2008   #92
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to agree with 3TP's line of thought here.
I hope they don't ruin another athlete by fast-tracking him.
The future of the team is more important, I'd hate for the coaches to try to cut some corner!
Old 08-19-2008   #93
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Saw this on Megan Manfull's blog (talking about the upcoming cuts):
Quote:
Running back is another whole issue. There are young backs - Darius Walker, Chris Taylor - with a lot of upside. But then there's Ahman Green, who is clearly the team's best running back when he is healthy.

http://blogs.chron.com/gamedaytexans...er_texans.html
I wonder what she bases this on? What he did many moons ago in Green Bay or because of his dominating performances last season and his one epic ramble this year? I mean he seemed to be healthy for at least 80-90% of that 5 yards. Too bad he broke down as he rambled past yard 4.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #94
Polo

The only position that I think easing the player along helps is QB.

I think everyone else can successfully learn on the fly.
Old 08-19-2008   #95
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post

Definitely QB but I think CB is a really important to ease players into. If they don't have the mental development for the position, playing too early can really fry 'em. I really wanted them to ease Bennett in, and they did to an extent but he has hands down passed my expectations.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #96
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I wonder what she bases this on? What he did many moons ago in Green Bay or because of his dominating performances last season and his one epic ramble this year? I mean he seemed to be healthy for at least 80-90% of that 5 yards. Too bad he broke down as he rambled past yard 4.
"one epic ramble" comment is classic thanks for keeping this board sane

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #97
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post

Just to name a few RBs:

Round Overall 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
Drafted Pos yr yr yr yr yr
(Number of rushing attempts/game)
Joseph Addai 1st 30 14.12
Tiki Barber 2nd 36 10.33 3.25 3.88 13.31 11.86
Tatum Bell 2nd 41 5.36 11.53
Cedric Benson 1st 4 7.44 10.47
Ladell Betts 2nd 56 5.91 8.56 5.63 7.42
Lorenzo Booker 3rd 71 4
Chris Brown 3rd 93 5.9
Ronnie Brown 1st 2 13.8
Bush 1st 2 9.69
Old 08-19-2008   #98
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And this groin muscle that he "felt tighten up" just keep getting worse and worse. First it was "playing it safe" then it was "He's day to day". Later it went to "He won't be playing for a couple of weeks" to "He's out until the season opener.

Today I note the following snippet: "The Texans used the available roster spot to sign running back Marcel Shipp, the former backup to Edgerrin James in Arizona. Shipp will get some carries now that Ahman Green is unlikely to see playing time until the regular-season opener at the earliest."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/5952115.html

Are you kidding me? Now we're hedging our bets against a possible return after the season opener?
Old 08-19-2008   #99
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I vote PUP and injury settlement.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #100
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 337 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Eheh, sometimes she says something like that and it makes me wonder if she doesn't keep a little flask of kool-aid in her purse.... However, she is usually pretty objective and not prone to conjecture like others at the Chronic..

The Walker comments attributed to Kubes were what I found interesting. I've suspected that Walker would not make it to the practice squad if they attempted that route with him and she confirmed Kubes is aware of this. First time I've ever seen it in print and it must have been something said "off the record"....
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read