Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-16-2008   #41
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So our running back situation is solved

I'm on the bandwagon.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #42
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 80847 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

He's looking good. I would like to see him go with our and against 1st teamers.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #43
fikster
All Pro

Rep Power: 101 fikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respected

any more room? if so, i'm in
fikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #44
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22191 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's time to see what Slaton can do with the first team.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #45
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Glad to see everyone coming around
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #46
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

The kid has some game it seems. The more I see him the better I like him.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #47
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
I'm on the bandwagon.

Welcome aboard!

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-16-2008   #48
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Count me in. Slaton picked up a few blitzes rather nicely.
Old 08-16-2008   #49
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollocks View Post
It's too early to call any of our problems "solved". That said, based on what I saw this past Saturday (which is by no means enough to crown or crucify anyone), Slaton is the best back we have on the roster with Walker right on his heels. As for Taylor, poor run blocking aside, I hope he has something more to show us. If not, I doubt there will be a spot on the roster for him.
LOL. No it isn't. Especially when you look at his "competitions".

Ideally, I rather have Brown as starter with Slaton as our 2nd RB. Why? Let the D pound Brown, then as they soften up put in Slaton to finish them up.

EDIT: Read your post wrong. I thought it said "it's too early to name Slaton as starter". But your post was pro-Slaton.

Last edited by J-Russ; 08-16-2008 at 10:12 PM.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #50
forcefollow
Rookie

Rep Power: 230 forcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respected

Slaton just made a strong case to be the starter. Can he be a work horse? Why not? Is the problem solved. NO!! The team needs quality depth. A this point here is my depth chart.

1. Slaton
2. Brown
3 Unsigned
4. Unsigned
5. Unsigned

Cut the rest loose.
forcefollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #51
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Slaton showed he could pass block, make the cut and run and get yardage. I like it. Don't think he is ready to be our main back yet, but this guy will certainly make waves in the NFL this year.

Let's all keep in mind he did this against backup players, not starting players. Still, he shows a lot of promise and I'm getting excited about him.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #52
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Count me in. Slaton picked up a few blitzes rather nicely.
It was nice when the boadcast focused on him blocking a guy that looked almost twice as big as him. I have never had faith in Brown, am quickly losing it in Green and just don't know what to think about Taylor and Walker. Slayton looks like a good back in preseason but I'll leave it to Kubes to figure out who should start. I do think that Slayton needs to get some time with the first team. In my mind that is the only real way to figure out what we have in him. He is looking good though.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #53
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I watched hardly any of the 4th quarter but I did see the pop up about the carries for each back this preseason. Slaton has looked the best out of anyone, but I wonder why Darius Walker has so few. I think he only has 8.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #54
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

He is healthy. Everybody else is hurt. So im on the bandwagon too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #55
Dcolbyt
starter

he and darius are alot a like, small but hard to wrap up. we have a great offense to watch!
Old 08-16-2008   #56
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Slaton does not run like a scat back. He's making one cut and taking off, no dancing in the backfield. He wasn't afraid to get his nose dirty either in blocking. He's got an elite burst and he's earned some PT with the 1s next Saturday to see if he can handle being a feature back.

My two biggest questions heading into this game were "can he make one cut and go without dancing?" and "Can he pick up a blitzer?"

He answered both of those questions, so lets reward him with PT with the first team. Or at the very least let him be 1st string PR next week.

PS: Clinton Portis was the same size as Slaton coming out of college, Slaton can be a feature back in this system if he keeps making one cut and taking off without dancing and picks up blitzers.
Old 08-17-2008   #57
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Slaton does not run like a scat back. He's making one cut and taking off, no dancing in the backfield. He wasn't afraid to get his nose dirty either in blocking. He's got an elite burst and he's earned some PT with the 1s next Saturday to see if he can handle being a feature back.

My two biggest questions heading into this game were "can he make one cut and go without dancing?" and "Can he pick up a blitzer?"

He answered both of those questions, so lets reward him with PT with the first team. Or at the very least let him be 1st string PR next week.

PS: Clinton Portis was the same size as Slaton coming out of college, Slaton can be a feature back in this system if he keeps making one cut and taking off without dancing and picks up blitzers.

Slaton looked real solid tonight . I was impressed with how he picked up the blitz and he ran much more effectively that I expected he would between the tackles . If he keeps this up AG may get a visit from "The Turk".

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #58
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

There are so many variables that are impossible to extrapolate in evaluation when you place a promising RB against a 2nd and 3rd D. Slaton has demonstrated the necessary moves and skills................but has not defined himself as to which level he possesses these. Put him in with the 1st team and let him have an opportunity to define his level of play. Like many of you, I believe he can and will put aside this important question and give us the positive answer we are hoping for.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #59
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22191 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

The strength of our offense is the passing game. Why not play to our strength? I know Kubes would like to run the ball to set up the passing, but he should reconsider - pass to set up the run. In this type of offense, then Slaton could carry the load as our #1 back.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #60
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 53673 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
The strength of our offense is the passing game. Why not play to our strength? I know Kubes would like to run the ball to set up the passing, but he should reconsider - pass to set up the run. In this type of offense, then Slaton could carry the load as our #1 back.
The first team offense had three posessions and drove for two TDs and a field goal. As a whole, the team scored 31 points. I'm not sure criticism of the offensive philosophy makes too much sense today.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read