Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-11-2008   #41
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 18146 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ahman Green: I call him Mr. Glass

Time to let the young fresh legs run with the ball like other teams do.
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #42
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

The talk of bringing Dayne back is very disturbing to me. Instead of running off my typical anti-Dayne rant, I will leave it at this: If Dayne's on this team at any time this season it'll mean our chances of a playoff push (or a winning record for that matter)are gone.

Dayne sucks!

Old 08-11-2008   #43
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
you do realize that andre johnson made the probowl with david carr at quarterback right?
I realize that. But from your original post, it didn't look like you thought that AG had ever been to a pro bowl, let alone 4 of them.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #44
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Its not to you?

Both were running untouched and both stopped cold because they felt their groins tighten up. How is it different? The quotes in the news stories are almost identical
I'm sorry, but Andre's injury and Ahman's are completely different. I think it was stated already but Andre was at the end of practice, and was running just about full speed with Will Demps fighting for position to make a catch.

Ahman was his first play, ran 10 yards in open space, caught a ball and fell down. Ive seen enough. He can stay for a pay decrease.

Give me Steve Slaton, Chris Taylor and Darius Walker. Green can get 1/2 his pay for 1/2 his work. And thats if I want to save a roster spot for him.

I feel that Kubiak and Co. will keep him playing in the preseason and if he cant stay on the field, they will cut him in a cap saving move and move on.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #45
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
The talk of bringing Dayne back is very disturbing to me. Instead of running off my typical anti-Dayne rant, I will leave it at this: If Dayne's on this team at any time this season it'll mean our chances of a playoff push (or a winning record for that matter)are gone.

Dayne sucks!

What he said. From two years ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Dayne looks like a poodle trying to hump the leg of the embarrassed little religious lady. He wouldn't know a hole if friggin Jenna Jameson was waiving a checkered flag at him.
Old 08-11-2008   #46
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

Dayne sucks!

I knew you had it in you after being mellow in the other thread... We'll start calling you the "Second Coming of Second Honeymoon"!!
Old 08-11-2008   #47
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
What he said. From two years ago:
LMAO! Very nice!
Old 08-11-2008   #48
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I knew you had it in you after being mellow in the other thread... We'll start calling you the "Second Coming of Second Honeymoon"!!
At least it wasn't a rant. It was more or less just a "matter of fact" comment.
Old 08-11-2008   #49
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

It's very hard not to be knee jerk about Green. I'm a fan and I was cautious when we signed him. Wanna call the thirty year old line a wives tell fine. The guy is sixeth on the active list....and has taken a lot of shots. If they were expecting fifteen to seventeen touches per game, that number is droping like a stone. And our best prospect so far at RB is Darious Walker. A guy no one on a dare would call out to carry a team to a play off run. Time for some of that Smithiack majic.
Old 08-11-2008   #50
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I know that we did the right thing in drafting Duane Brown but a part of me really wanted everydown back Rashard Mendenhall because I knew that we couldn't count on Ahman Green & Chris Brown staying healthy. This is a sad way to start the season off and like I said before Steve Slaton will lead the texans in rushing.
PHAROAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #51
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
I know that we did the right thing in drafting Duane Brown but a part of me really wanted everydown back Rashard Mendenhall because I knew that we couldn't count on Ahman Green & Chris Brown staying healthy. This is a sad way to start the season off and like I said before Steve Slaton will lead the texans in rushing.
I think almost all of us had that feeling. I knew then and still agree that we needed the LT. We've needed one forever and we've had terrible luck with that position. I still want a feature back and to my mind the offense is just not "complete" without that feature back.

I think that in the 2009 draft we'll see the Texans take that running back we've all been wanting since, well hell "2002" really. I think that there were just too many holes in this team when Kubiak & Smith got here for them to go right for a running back. You figure they took one season (2006) to add their own players and evaluate what we had on the roster already, then once they knew what they had they began the purge (2007) and started making it right. It's a minor miracle that we've got so few holes going into this season. These guys are good and they knew that grabbing a running back in the 2007 or 2008 drafts was just too soon. What's the point of drafting a stud RB if he can't get past the line of scrimmage because your line sucks?

We'll see one next year. Until then it's going to be tough to watch and hope we get lucky with Taylor, Walker, and Slaton. Green is done and Brown hasn't made one lick of differences since he got here.
Old 08-11-2008   #52
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
And I see exactly where gtexan02 is coming from. All you guys running your keyboards and talking about what a bum or loser Ahman is are off base. .
One person called him a loser - the same person who started the thread. I saw no one call him a bum.

I see a player that has little to nothing left and I think deep down he knows it. That doesn't mean he's a bad guy - it means he's become nearly worthless as a football player and the team needs to suck it up [again] and move on. I'd be happy to be wrong on this but I'm not overly optimistic that will be the case.

I suppose I was one of the 'all you guys' you were referring to but I don't feel that my comments are off-base. Like I said earlier, the people that are speculating more than anyone are those who for whatever reason think this guy can stay healthy and on the field for more than a few games. Based on what? A great off-season in the weight room and looking like a Pro Bowler in practice? Please.

I'm sure AG will do everything he can in the next three weeks to get on the 53 - but I don't think the Texans should save him a roster spot if he can't make it through a half against Dallas with no ill-effects. But even that doesn't mean he'll make it through that first hit by Polamalu.

Last edited by aj.; 08-11-2008 at 12:55 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #53
forcefollow
Rookie

Rep Power: 229 forcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respected

Dayne definately sucks, but at least he played. Ahman Green hasn't played much. Chris Brown doesn't look like he will play much. Walker and Taylor look anemic and Slaton may not prove to be an every down back. Dayne should lay off the jelly donuts and hamburgers just in case the Texans need him.

"THE TEXANS MUST DRAFT A RUNNING BACK NEXT YEAR"
forcefollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #54
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefollow View Post
"THE TEXANS MUST DRAFT A RUNNING BACK NEXT YEAR"
I think that was the plan all along. Before the draft, Smith said there were too many holes to fill in one draft. He traded back to get more picks to fill more holes and did a masterful job.

But I think the idea was to get our 3rd down back a little later in the draft this year AND if he steps up and becomes a viable starter, great. If not, that's fine, too. But try to get a bunch of backs together and piece together a decent year out of them. Then next year, getting that feature back is the priority. At least, that's what I've read into the moves that have been made so far.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #55
Polo

RB or DE in the first rd. next year
Old 08-11-2008   #56
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll take RB for 100. At least in the first couple of rounds.
Old 08-11-2008   #57
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
One person called him a loser - the same person who started the thread. I saw no one call him a bum.

I see a player that has little to nothing left and I think deep down he knows it. That doesn't mean he's a bad guy - it means he's become nearly worthless as a football player and the team needs to suck it up [again] and move on. I'd be happy to be wrong on this but I'm not overly optimistic that will be the case.

I suppose I was one of the 'all you guys' you were referring to but I don't feel that my comments are off-base. Like I said earlier, the people that are speculating more than anyone are those who for whatever reason think this guy can stay healthy and on the field for more than a few games. Based on what? A great off-season in the weight room and looking like a Pro Bowler in practice? Please.

I'm sure AG will do everything he can in the next three weeks to get on the 53 - but I don't think the Texans should save him a roster spot if he can't make it through a half against Dallas with no ill-effects. But even that doesn't mean he'll make it through that first hit by Polamalu.
Your first post started with a detailed paragraph speculating about how green was shying away from contact. About how he was scared of getting injured and about how he didn't have any motivation left other than cashing paychecks.

You may not have called him a bum or a loser directly, but your words implied it pretty clearly
Old 08-11-2008   #58
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You're right of course. Only one person in this thread called him a loser. My comment focused a little wider than that and I guess I should have made a point of saying that. In other threads here, on the main site, and on the Chronicle's comments section under the Slaton story today for instance I'm seeing a lot of hostility towards Green and it's going up a few notches following his groin injury and I think that at least as much of that hostility should be aimed at the team that keeps trying to make this work as the running back who can't see his own situation in a realistic light.

I'll be more specific in the future.
Old 08-11-2008   #59
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Your first post started with a detailed paragraph speculating about how green was shying away from contact. About how he was scared of getting injured and about how he didn't have any motivation left other than cashing paychecks.

You may not have called him a bum or a loser directly, but your words implied it pretty clearly
My 'shying away from contact' comment was used in the context of his lost fire and edge ... like Eddie George in his later years when he played against Ray Lewis. Like Christain Okoye after he met Steve Atwater.

As far as his priorities and his motivations in life, I'm sure that getting on the 53 to guarantee his base salary of $4 million is right up there (what player/agent wouldn't?). Not sure about anything else.

If that's what you call a bum and a loser, that's your call. To me, bums and losers are guys that beat their wives or girlfriends.

If AG can't get on the field against Dallas and play a half without ill-effects, then all this discussion is moot anyway because he'll be cut.

Last edited by aj.; 08-11-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-11-2008   #60
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Green has seriously lost his edge, and what fire existed in Green Bay has been long since extinguished. At 31, he appears to be more concerned with cashing these last few paychecks than helping a team win football games. I think he's become shy of game contact and he knows inside that this is his last year, and since the Texans aren't going to get him another SB ring, why risk further injury right? He already has it all. So where is his motivation? Just make the 53.

There's no room to play tinker bell with Green and his roster spot any longer. Give me a hungry RB that wants to bust heads and make a name for himself. If Green's not able to appear in more than 5 games again this year (what evidence is there that he can?) cut him before final roster cutdown and save McNair a few million - because AG sure as hell hasn't earned it.

I was never big on this signing but now I'm seriously getting tired of his inability to stay on the field. Falling down untouched on your first touch of the preseason isn't a good sign. What happens when he starts getting hit by LBs? Rhetorical question. Most of us know what will happen.
Post of the thread - AG looks like he'll do what it takes to make the 53, then fold up like a cheap suit in the rain. Let him cash retirement checks on some OTHER team's payroll.

Quote:
What? AJ did the exact same thing

No contact on that play either. I guess 27 is the new 31
AJ has earned his 'pass' w/ the Texans, AG hasn't yet. 1 play, then like Keyser Soze - poof! he's gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Green shouldn't be glossed Mr. Glass because he has put in a bunch of NFL seasons and has come back from a really bad injury--it's not like he never was able to get on a field. But he's an old running back, and he appears to be done.
He's one of the many GB re-treads that we thought could give us a couple of years. In this case, it just isn't happening. I don't wish him ill, but 2007 was a disappointment and 2008 is setting that bar even lower.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read