Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-11-2008   #21
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ahman Green: I call him Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
The guy is a 5 time probowler who has been in the NFL for 11 years.
Lets give him a little more respect than this
As a Green Bay Packer, he deserves all the respect in the world as a pro bowler and Super Bowl winner. As a Houston Texan, he's a failure. Until he proves otherwise, that's just the way it is.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #22
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think all of this is speculation at best from a bunch of people who don't understand what happened.
I think I understand what happened (and what's happening) and I could care less if he went to five Pro Bowls with another team years ago. I care about 2008.

Ahman Green has done nothing for this team since he's been here. Someone give me a reason why I should believe the Texans will get more than 8 games out of him this year - and working hard in practice isn't a good reason, especially if he can't stay on the field when the live bullets start flying. I was at most of the public training camp sessions and I know he looked like a hall of fame RB - in shells with limited contact. What's going to happen when it's Troy Polamalu coming at him?

Assuming Ahman Green will be healthy this year is the ultimate speculation.

Last edited by aj.; 08-11-2008 at 08:12 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #23
Polo

I don't think the Texans can go into the season with AG & CB as their number one and two backs...
Old 08-11-2008   #24
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think all of this is speculation at best from a bunch of people who don't understand what happened. You are calling out a guy for one preseason injury?

Kubiak has said multiple times that Green has looked the best in practice, that Green has worked the hardest in the offseason, that Green is ready to make up for lost time last year.

He's the head coach, and if he says Green has fire, then I believe him. Kubiak has shown throughout his entire tenure that he doesn't put up with guys who aren't trying. Sherman is long gone, so if Kubiak didn't believe Green could help the football team, he'd be gone.
ahman's played in 25 of his last 48 games (many of which are only partials), it's more than a mere preseason injury when a trend is involved. especially when that injury is one that will nag for an extended amount of time such as a groin. i thought ahman would be an answer and yall know i'm as lenient as they come, i'm going to call an injury riddled 31 year old runningback as he is though.

ahman was the hardest worker last year and "has never been in better shape and looks incredible". he gimped through 6 games (topping out at 16 carries) before calling it quits for 07.

coach is going to stick up for the players as long as possible, see charles spencer. i'm in 100% support of kubiak, i hope he's here until he's senile. green however is bad knees with pulled muscles and strain tendons and sore everything. questionable the entire season but hey, he'll work hard on the sidelines and be in outstanding condition.

Last edited by Scooter; 08-11-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #25
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I don't think the Texans can go into the season with AG & CB as their number one and two backs...
I think their plan all along was to cobble together one player-season from the two. Even that looks like wishful thinking at this point.
Old 08-11-2008   #26
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
I understand completely what happened...
So the guy feels a potential injury, during a preseason game, and you'd rather him play through it or what?
You aren't making any sense.

He felt his muscle tighten up. He prevented an injury. If it happens during the regular season, fine. But I see preseason as a big practice. I think he did the right thing.

If we had a lot of depth at RB, fine. Move on. But at this point, Im not exactly thrilled at the thought of a Brown, Walker, Slaton trio.

Kubiak and Smith ahve already tried working the waiver wire for replacement RBs. There aren't guys they want out there right now. At this point, I think he's still our best bet
Old 08-11-2008   #27
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
So the guy feels a potential injury, during a preseason game, and you'd rather him play through it or what?
You aren't making any sense.

He felt his muscle tighten up. He prevented an injury. Why is this bad?
I think I'm making pretty good sense when I say Ahman Green is at the end of his career.

Why is this bad? Well, let me think about this for a second .... maybe because he's occupying the RB1 roster spot at 5 million per year and can't stay on the field and we need a RB that can stay on the field? AG was nothing more than a stop-gap when they brought him in here - and now it appears that the Packers knew exactly what they were doing when they let him walk.
Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2008   #28
Polo

Quote:

He felt his muscle tighten up. He prevented an injury.
When you get to the point in life that feeling a muscle tighten up means you need to completely stop all activity for fear of causing an injury, it normally means you're getting old...

I mean...how can we expect him to get through a good portion of the season if he can't stretch out a tightened muscle for a series...

Didn't he go through warm-ups like everyone else ? Or did he just walk out there cold ? He wasn't touched...Which means he did no more on that one play than he should have done in warm-ups...Either he's not warming up properly or his muscles are the muscles of a 30+ yr. old running back...

Last edited by Polo; 08-11-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-11-2008   #29
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

I'm all about cutting the guy. Why waste a roster spot for a bum thats going to sit out most of the season. Especially when it means maybe letting a guy like Darius Walker go.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #30
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When you get to the point in life that feeling a muscle tighten up means you need to completely stop all activity for fear of causing an injury, it normally means you're getting old...

I mean...how can we expect him to get through a good portion of the season if he can't stretch out a tightened muscle for a series...

Didn't he go through warm-ups like everyone else ? Or did he just walk out there cold ? He wasn't touched...Which means he did no more on that one play than he should have done in warm-ups...Either he's not warming up properly or his muscles are the muscles of a 30+ yr. old running back...
What? AJ did the exact same thing

Quote:
Wide receiver Andre Johnson gave the Texans and a crowd of 3,721 fans at the Methodist Training Center quite a scare Saturday when he pulled up after running a deep route at the end of practice.

The two-time Pro Bowler appeared to favor his left groin as he limped off the field in noticeable pain. Immediately, the Texans’ training staff and team orthopedist, Dr. Walter Lowe, attended to Johnson.
No contact on that play either. I guess 27 is the new 31

Last edited by gtexan02; 08-11-2008 at 08:29 AM.
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #31
Polo

Quote:
What? AJ did the exact same thing.

That's the exact same thing to you ?
Old 08-11-2008   #32
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Looking at the state of our running backs right now I have to admit that I'm a little surprised we haven't seen Ron Dayne back in town. I know that's probably not a popular sentiment but I fail to see how our running back situation right now is any less "house of cards" than it was last year.

Chris Brown has been a non-factor. Ahman Green is (IMO) for all intents and purposes "snake bit" where injuries are concerned and it no longer matters what he has "left in the tank" at this point. His injury situation has taken on a life of it's own now and this guy is forever going to have thoughts of injury in his head. Every time he strains a muscle or takes a hard hit he's going to be wondering if he's hurt. We're going to be wondering if he's hurt. This can go nowhere but down now. Watching Ahman Green and waiting for that next injury is going to become like watching Brad Lidge and waiting for that next blown save. Mark my words on that. Darius Walker is an alright two or three. Chris Taylor probably just needs to get back into the flow of things but IMO the jury is still out. Slaton just needs to get used to the pro game and the speed but of the three of them I don't see one guy whose ready to go on opening day and be our starter.

They don't like Benson and won't consider him, they obviously agree with the common opinion on Shaun Alexander. I think it's time for another running of the Dayne Train. Nobody wanted to see it happen again. Hell, I like the guy and I didn't even want to see it happen again but here we are looking at going 16 games with no answers at RB (again).
Old 08-11-2008   #33
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

The guys I really feel bad about are the bubble guys. Instead of keeping an extra DT or, OT, C/G, WR now they gotta go fishing for RBs. Unless you're talking about picking up troubled child Benson, who I don't believe will fit with Gibbs...you're pretty much stuck with the situation until next off season.

For what ever it is worth Spencer Tillman pretty much threw Green under the bus last night on the KTRH recap show.
Old 08-11-2008   #34
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
That's the exact same thing to you ?
Its not to you?

Both were running untouched and both stopped cold because they felt their groins tighten up. How is it different? The quotes in the news stories are almost identical
Old 08-11-2008   #35
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

After Saturday's game Green's position on this team has to be earned, not only by him making it through an exhibition game, but by other RBs taking it from him.

I do not want to get rid of younger talent at the expense of vets that cannot stay healthy.
Old 08-11-2008   #36
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

And I see exactly where gtexan02 is coming from. All you guys running your keyboards and talking about what a bum or loser Ahman is are off base. He's no more a bum or a loser than Emmitt Smith was in Arizona or Earl Campbell was in New Orleans. He's a RB at the end of his career and he wants to keep playing. He thinks he can keep playing. All this hostility is misdirected if you ask me. Instead of dogging Ahman Green for thinking he can keep playing (which pretty much means he's got something in common with just about every great athlete that ever lived) you should be dogging the Texans for hanging on to this experiment just a bit too long and not trying to do more to mitigate the damage if and when this didn't work out.

I still see Ahman's injury and AJ's injury in completely different lights though. One is happening to a young man in the heat of the day while the other is happening to an old man following warm ups in a perfectly comfortable stadium the first time he tries to go full speed. A lot of it has to do with perception I'll admit but Ahman is, to Texans fans all about being hurt all the time. We haven't really seen much of anything else from him besides stories about his fabled conditioning and impressive practices.
Old 08-11-2008   #37
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Its not to you?

Both were running untouched and both stopped cold because they felt their groins tighten up. How is it different? The quotes in the news stories are almost identical
AJ is coming off of knee surgery and as is common exerts a higher muscle group to compensate.

green looks better than ever and falls flat with less effort than 9am yoga. yes, different.
Old 08-11-2008   #38
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
AJ is coming off of knee surgery and as is common exerts a higher muscle group to compensate.

green looks better than ever and falls flat with less effort than 9am yoga. yes, different.
Herv made a good point about the heat of the day, end of practice, etc.

But I should point out that Green is also coming off a knee injury, so I don't think that differentiates the two imo
Old 08-11-2008   #39
Polo

Quote:
Its not to you?

Dre's injury happened at the end of a practice oustide in the blazing heat on a long route where he was probably close to full speed.....

AG's injury.....didn't.....
Old 08-11-2008   #40
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Looking at the state of our running backs right now I have to admit that I'm a little surprised we haven't seen Ron Dayne back in town. I know that's probably not a popular sentiment but I fail to see how our running back situation right now is any less "house of cards" than it was last year.

Chris Brown has been a non-factor. Ahman Green is (IMO) for all intents and purposes "snake bit" where injuries are concerned and it no longer matters what he has "left in the tank" at this point. His injury situation has taken on a life of it's own now and this guy is forever going to have thoughts of injury in his head. Every time he strains a muscle or takes a hard hit he's going to be wondering if he's hurt. We're going to be wondering if he's hurt. This can go nowhere but down now. Watching Ahman Green and waiting for that next injury is going to become like watching Brad Lidge and waiting for that next blown save. Mark my words on that. Darius Walker is an alright two or three. Chris Taylor probably just needs to get back into the flow of things but IMO the jury is still out. Slaton just needs to get used to the pro game and the speed but of the three of them I don't see one guy whose ready to go on opening day and be our starter.

They don't like Benson and won't consider him, they obviously agree with the common opinion on Shaun Alexander. I think it's time for another running of the Dayne Train. Nobody wanted to see it happen again. Hell, I like the guy and I didn't even want to see it happen again but here we are looking at going 16 games with no answers at RB (again).
We will be likely seeing a RB signing "just to get through the preseason." Of not a name guy and not Benson (according to the presser). Who knows who that could be but I bet they'd like to get someone with experience.

And poor Ron Dayne once injured himself in pregame warmups....I'm not sure how good of shape he would be not going through anyone's camp.

The best thing that happened to the Texans draftwise is that Adrian Peterson went with the 7th pick of the draft his year, and not the 8th pick the Texans switched with ATL in the Schaub trade. Green on NFL Sirius Radio talked about the legacy of great Houston pro running backs--I don't believe we have that guy on our roster, no matter what the blocking.

Green shouldn't be glossed Mr. Glass because he has put in a bunch of NFL seasons and has come back from a really bad injury--it's not like he never was able to get on a field. But he's an old running back, and he appears to be done.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read