Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-10-2008   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Titans: Chris Johnson TD

his first TD in the NFL....dude has incredible speed...check it out. 77 yards on six carries and a TD.
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d809e4d39
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELYsA0BYLUQ

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #2
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Titans: Chris Johnson TD

I watched the highlights last night and that guy can fly.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #3
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

He showed why he was near the top of my draft list. That speed corrects a lot of mistakes in the NFL.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

The Titans put up 340 yards rushing last night. Wishbone teams don't put up that much.
Old 08-10-2008   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 62699 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yikes, he flew. He was 10 yards behind some DBs and he outran them
Old 08-10-2008   #6
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74497 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm gonna be like the stubborn one in Monty Python....

I hated the pick as a Titan fan, and will hate it even if he makes me look like an ***** all season. Once he hits 1,500 yards or something, then I'll STFU and admit I was wrong. Until then I still have no clue why they don't value a real WR.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #7
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 25997 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post

I hated the pick as a Titan fan, and will hate it even if he makes me look like an ***** all season. Once he hits 1,500 yards or something, then I'll STFU and admit I was wrong. Until then I still have no clue why they don't value a real WR.
You're a Titans fan?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-10-2008   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

Why do you need a "real WR"?? You already decided you didn't need a "real QB"

I'm just playing withcha.

But maybe Jeff Fischer is expecting this team to lead the league in rushing, over 2000 yards a season. Like Atlanta did when they went to the NFC Championship game.

With Lendale White, Chris Johnson, & Vince Young, you only need wide recievers who can get open when your QB buys you time.

With that kind of offense.... on the ground, eating up the clock, and a stingy defense.. I can see you going far.

Seriously, who gives a $hit if your QB has more rushing yards than passing... as long as you win.
Old 08-10-2008   #9
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74497 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
You're a Titans fan?
Since I was a wee little one living off South Braeswood watching Bum Phillips run Earl Campbell into the ground.

And yes, I was speaking a tad in jest

Not a fan of my draft this year and hoping to be proven wrong, trust me.

Old 08-10-2008   #10
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

I never thought it was a bad pick. Johnson looks like a nice complement to the power running of White.

I also don't understand why people complain so much about the Titans waiting to pick a WR until the 4th Round (126th Overall).

Their pick, Hawkins, was only the 19th WR selected. In 2007 the 19th WR was selected at 118th Overall. In 2005 the Titans also selected the 19th WR taken but that time he was selected at 136th Overall. The big difference is that in the 2008 Draft, no WR's were selected in the 1st round.

I don't know why everyone expected the Titans to reach for a WR in the 1st Round when it is obvious that the entire league felt that none of them deserved to be picked in the 1st Round.
Old 08-10-2008   #11
toronto
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
I never thought it was a bad pick. Johnson looks like a nice complement to the power running of White.

I also don't understand why people complain so much about the Titans waiting to pick a WR until the 4th Round (126th Overall).

Their pick, Hawkins, was only the 19th WR selected. In 2007 the 19th WR was selected at 118th Overall. In 2005 the Titans also selected the 19th WR taken but that time he was selected at 136th Overall. The big difference is that in the 2008 Draft, no WR's were selected in the 1st round.

I don't know why everyone expected the Titans to reach for a WR in the 1st Round when it is obvious that the entire league felt that none of them deserved to be picked in the 1st Round.
It wasn't about that....

1) Johnson wasn't what I thought the club needed most. We needed a DE or CB IMO with our top pick, and if one didn't grade out worthy of pick #24, then trade down.

2) When WRs like Sweed started dropping into the 2nd round, I was shocked the Titans didn't grab one, especially Sweed, DeShaun Jackson, Manningham Doucet, Hardy etc. I know none of them were great, but I have no confidence in the ones on the roster as constructed.

If Hawkins pans out, again, I'll be happy to eat crow. Believe me.

Old 08-10-2008   #12
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad they drafted Johnson. Otherwise, it's possible they would have picked Donnie Avery.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #13
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

dude definitely can hit the home run. blinding speed and he split that seam something fierece.

Re: those titans looked pretty impressive as a whole, pretty much. i wish we had Jeff Fisher here in Houston. His teams just seem to be really well prepared week after week. (I like Kubiak but I think just about anyone has to admit that Fisher > Kubiak). That guy just coaches his ass off and does more with less year after year. Best coach currently in the league for my money..the whole cheating thing hurts Belicheat's standing imho. Sucks for him that he works for Bud the scumbag. Fisher's teams just make plays. Just dominated the Rams. We better watch out and not get so drunk on all this 'VY sucks' stuff and realize that we have to put it together this year in Houston or we could go 0-6 in the division. It's just a brutal division....

...maybe McNair should have gone to the NFC after all We could have been in the 49ers, Seahawks, and Arizona division. That looks pretty good right about now.

fwiw - how awesome is it that we can watch all these preseason games this year on NFLN? its finally here, FOOTBALL!.

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 08-10-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #14
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 25997 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
I watched the highlights last night and that guy can fly.
I'm not sure about flying because his feet were on the ground, but he sure did run fast.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #15
Bulluck53
All Pro

Rep Power: 1628 Bulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It wasn't about that....

2) When WRs like Sweed started dropping into the 2nd round, I was shocked the Titans didn't grab one, especially Sweed, DeShaun Jackson, Manningham Doucet, Hardy etc. I know none of them were great, but I have no confidence in the ones on the roster as constructed.

If Hawkins pans out, again, I'll be happy to eat crow. Believe me.
Sweed was taken the pick before us. Jackson is not what we lack in a receiver and was selected before us, Manningham is that type of receiver but he has had character issues and we know how this team doesn't need that anymore along with doubts he could play at that level in NFL. Doucet isn't what we need at receiver. Hardy was selected before us.

Now if you are saying we should have traded up then its a different conversation but no receiver was worth a first round grade hence none were taken in the first round. And we have small and fast, we need tall, fast and reliable.

Now you ask why did we draft Hawkins then? He was the only one left worth a damn. Look at the receivers drafted after him.... Keenan Burton, Kenneth Moore, Matt Slater, Marcus Henry, etc.

And I'll say it again. We don't NEED a receiver, we need playmakers on offense. Johnson is that playmaker.
Bulluck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #16
toronto
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulluck53 View Post
Sweed was taken the pick before us. Jackson is not what we lack in a receiver and was selected before us, Manningham is that type of receiver but he has had character issues and we know how this team doesn't need that anymore along with doubts he could play at that level in NFL. Doucet isn't what we need at receiver. Hardy was selected before us.

Now if you are saying we should have traded up then its a different conversation but no receiver was worth a first round grade hence none were taken in the first round. And we have small and fast, we need tall, fast and reliable.

Now you ask why did we draft Hawkins then? He was the only one left worth a damn. Look at the receivers drafted after him.... Keenan Burton, Kenneth Moore, Matt Slater, Marcus Henry, etc.

And I'll say it again. We don't NEED a receiver, we need playmakers on offense. Johnson is that playmaker.
No argument on the descriptions - I do disagree - Sweed was there, we chose not to trade up a couple picks, which really bugged me, it wasn't going to be that costly. Jason Jones better pan out.

I think my other issue that continues to simmer is that we have basically admitted Chris Henry was a complete dumbass waste of a 2nd rounder last year.

Old 08-11-2008   #17
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I still think it was a bonehead pick. One looooooong run aint gonna change that.

But I did say "wow" when it happened. I just aint all about speed in the NFL. Give me a guy who will pound the ball 25 times a game for 4 yards average. I think speed is great in college football. But the NFL IMO is a power game.

But hey, ive been wrong before.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #18
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 62699 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just think. Johnson did in 1 night what Bush has never been able to do in his whole career
Old 08-11-2008   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Just think. Johnson did in 1 night what Bush has never been able to do in his whole career
Who is Bush?

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #20
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Sick.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read