Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-10-2008   #21
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I miss Ron Dayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I get the feeling that Slaton is going to get a LOT of work this season.
Touch him, and he falls down. Of course that's a damn site better than Green.
But to Slatons credit, he held on to the ball last night, even at the end of the game with all of those runs up the middle to kill the clock when you know the Broncos were going for it. And he's got a sweet little burst when given a
hole to run thru.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #22
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
I miss Rashard Mendenhall.

Oh, that's right, we forgot to draft him.
If that is the case, I miss Clinton Portis, oh I forgot we got Jabar Gaffney instead.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #23
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Rookie

Rep Power: 47 OrdinaryAvgGuy is a quality contributor and well respectedOrdinaryAvgGuy is a quality contributor and well respectedOrdinaryAvgGuy is a quality contributor and well respectedOrdinaryAvgGuy is a quality contributor and well respectedOrdinaryAvgGuy is a quality contributor and well respectedOrdinaryAvgGuy is a quality contributor and well respectedOrdinaryAvgGuy is a quality contributor and well respectedOrdinaryAvgGuy is a quality contributor and well respectedOrdinaryAvgGuy is a quality contributor and well respectedOrdinaryAvgGuy is a quality contributor and well respectedOrdinaryAvgGuy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
Imagine who would be playing tackle if the Texans didn't draft Brown.
The opposing team's D-line and linebackers...

...on EVERY down...
OrdinaryAvgGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #24
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
heck I was asking people in the stands where Ced Benson was.
Benson is still subject to suspension by the NFL for the DWI/BWI's, even if anyone is desperate enough to consider signing him.

But its Travis County, and when ex-UT football players are concerned, criminal cases there often "magically" fall apart...
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #25
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
Is Ron Dayne on anyone's roster right now?
I think he's on the Denny's Roster right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #26
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
I miss Rashard Mendenhall.

Oh, that's right, we forgot to draft him.
I'll take Duane Brown, Steve Slaton, and Dominique Barber over Rashard Mendenhall thankyouverymuchplzdrivethrough
Old 08-10-2008   #27
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35954 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Sage for Chester Taylor anyone?
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-10-2008   #28
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Sage for Chester Taylor anyone?
Not yet. At this point rather have a bunch of crappy RBs then a crappy backup QB. You can always fall into a decent a RB, by always I mean most every other team besides us - though DD did fill that billet for us.

Quote:
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Old 08-10-2008   #29
junior
Veteran

Rep Power: 19 junior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I know this thread is about missing Ron Dayne, but just for grins, we should really be missing Domanick Davis. These are Texan records he still holds.

All-time individual records
Rushing Yards: 3,195, Domanick Davis
Rushing Attempts: 770, Domanick Davis
Rushing Touchdowns: 23, Domanick Davis
Combined Touchdowns: 28, Domanick Davis
Combined Yards: 4,585, Domanick Davis

Single season records
Touchdowns: 14, Domanick Davis (2004)
Rushing Attempts: 302, Domanick Davis (2004)
Rushing Yards: 1,188, Domanick Davis (2004)
Rushing Touchdowns: 13, Domanick Davis (2004)

Single game records
Longest Rushing Play: 51 yards, Domanick Davis (November 9, 2003 at Cincinnati)
i think he also holds the record for quickest trip to the atm after he signed his contract.

also most knee injuries without ever actually being hit on the knee or seriously twisting it on a tackle, he looked like green yesterday. after the play, he was hurt on you say to yourself where the heck did the injury occur.

with all the crap we have had in our backfield i really miss jonathan wells. he may only give you 3 or 4 yards a carry but he seemed to give you all he had, i just dont see that from any other rb we have ever had.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #30
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Give me a break!

You guys wanting guys like Ron Dayne, Salaam on the team and calling for Sage Rosenfels to start are asking for mediocrity.

Absolutely, I appreciate what Dayne did for this team the past two seasons. However, we're trying to compete for championships now. Ron Dayne is way too limited a player for a team interested in the playoffs to have on a relatively healthy roster- what RB would you cut for him? Also, he can't run in this offense. Hear that?? He's too slow for the zone stretch play! He can not do it. Does everyone understand that?? One more time: Ron Dayne doesn't have the ability to run the ball in this offensive system... OKAY?

If you want Ron Dayne on this team please also reccomend that they get rid of Alex Gibbs and go to a power running game.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #31
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Give me a break!

You guys wanting guys like Ron Dayne, Salaam on the team and calling for Sage Rosenfels to start are asking for mediocrity.

Absolutely, I appreciate what Dayne did for this team the past two seasons. However, we're trying to compete for championships now. Ron Dayne is way too limited a player for a team interested in the playoffs to have on a relatively healthy roster- what RB would you cut for him? Also, he can't run in this offense. Hear that?? He's too slow for the zone stretch play! He can not do it. Does everyone understand that?? One more time: Ron Dayne doesn't have the ability to run the ball in this offensive system... OKAY?

If you want Ron Dayne on this team please also reccomend that they get rid of Alex Gibbs and go to a power running game.
Wanting him on the team is not the same thing as wanting someone better to start. Salaam is like the Frank Reich of LT he can come in and get the job done on short term but over the long haul not so much. Why you hate the guy so much is something I can not figure out. It could be worse and have that LT who was playing for philly last year, or the RT for the Broncos.
Old 08-11-2008   #32
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Wanting him on the team is not the same thing as wanting someone better to start. Salaam is like the Frank Reich of LT he can come in and get the job done on short term but over the long haul not so much. Why you hate the guy so much is something I can not figure out. It could be worse and have that LT who was playing for philly last year, or the RT for the Broncos.

I don't hate him. He's just too often overmatched. And, at 33, I don't think that will be changing. I'd genuinely rather have Butler and Frye on the team. Both look quite competant, have a lot of athleticism, and lots of room for improvement.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #33
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 128861 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i think salaam's absolutely horrible and would replace him in an instant. i'm however part of a very small minority that really liked ron dayne (despite him ruining my favorite player). my first thought after watching tayler and walker was - i'd trade em both for dayne. neither of those players are going to accomplish much, and neither would dayne, but with ronnie you knew what you were getting - an end game player, a bruiser, and someone who fell forward. dayne's the option that glues your starter and slaton, he just happened to be forced into a starter role. with a 4.0ypc and 6 touchdowns last season, he not only did his job - he did someone else's because they couldnt. i'm not sure who came in after green but they spent more time falling ass first and spinning than running ... slaton was the closest thing to a runningback that i saw.
Old 08-11-2008   #34
PapaL
Loose Screw

Bring back Sherman! Not really

Quote:
Old 08-11-2008   #35
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 103999 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Not yet. At this point rather have a bunch of crappy RBs then a crappy backup QB. You can always fall into a decent a RB, by always I mean most every other team besides us - though DD did fill that billet for us.
Wow.

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #36
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Has running back turned into the elephant in the room. I trust Kubes and Smith and think they have done a great job but I really believe that you need some stability at RB while looking to the future and oft-injured vets mixed with younger/tweener/FA type guys just doesn't seem to get me excited year in and year out. Maybe Mendehall wouldn't have worked out..I red that he isn't having a great Pitt camp...and maybe they didn't like who was there and Slaton will be more than a 3rd down guy. Either way, the questions persist and I think this year in and year out cluster of RBs needs to change.
Old 08-11-2008   #37
Polo

I'd rather bring back Jonathan Wells.
Old 08-11-2008   #38
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd rather have my sack speed bagged.

Dayne...Pfft! Good Lord people!
Old 08-11-2008   #39
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I'd rather have my sack speed bagged.

Dayne...Pfft! Good Lord people!
LMAO!!! I was waiting for you to get ahold of this thread.. You were actually quite more mellow than I was expecting.
Old 08-11-2008   #40
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
LMAO!!! I was waiting for you to get ahold of this thread.. You were actually quite more mellow than I was expecting.
I was going to, but I figured I've let my stance be known about Buffet Boy. I don't want to become like Second Honeymoon and his YKW rants. LMAO!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read