Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-10-2008   #1
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I miss Ron Dayne

Didn't think I'd ever in a million years say that. But after watching our inept running game last night, I had a little voice in my head (not to be confused with the other voices) that whispered........"Dayne Train".
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I miss Ron Dayne

I miss Allen Pinkett, Mike Rozier, and Lo White more than I miss Ron Dayne. I guess I miss real NFL feature backs in my NFL team of choice.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #3
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

In that case, I miss Earl Campbell.

Just for grins, what FA running backs are available?
Old 08-10-2008   #4
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Somewhere in one of these threads, Malloy pointed out that Dayne was our most consistent RB after Dominick Davis. That much is true, and we should be thankful for his service. I know I am. At least Dayne could start your games for you and didn't get injured every other play.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I miss Allen Pinkett, Mike Rozier, and Lo White more than I miss Ron Dayne. I guess I miss real NFL feature backs in my NFL team of choice.
And Gary Brown, at least the early Gary Brown.

I feel ya'.

I loved it when we threw the screen pass and it rumbled for upwards of 30 yards or more...man, that was an awesome sight to see the OL rumbling down the field and just steamrolling defensive players while our RB just danced back and forth, in and out of traffic, like it was nothing.

Dang you, vinny, for bringing this up.
Old 08-10-2008   #6
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes I can see where trying to replace Ron Danynes 700 rushing yards and six TDs will be a problem to replace.

Dayne sucked. Is he even on a team right now? He is probably fighting Lindell White for the last pork chop on the buffet line.

And making the statement that Dayne is the most consistent back in our storied franchise is lazy journalism. Our RB have been Allen, Mack, DD, Green, and Dayne. Not exactly a HOF list.

Dayne sucked and I am glad he is gone.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #7
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
And making the statement that Dayne is the most consistent back in our storied franchise is lazy journalism.

No one said that, what was said was that AFTER Dominck Davis he was our most consistent. Isn't it sad that after all these Texan seasons that DD still holds the records for rushing in a season, all time rushing yards, and still holds the team record for most combined yards in a season.

Sponsored links
Old 08-10-2008   #8
prostock101
Mr. Big

Has Shaun Alexander signed with anyone? I'm not advocating, just curious.

Found something......

Judge: NFL wary of RB Alexander: CBSSports.com Senior Writer Clark Judge polled the NFL's coaching and personnel community to get an idea of what people think of current free-agent RB Shaun Alexander. The result? Not good. The prevailing opinion was that Alexander is too 'soft' to play in the NFL and not worth the money he'd want since he's a former MVP. However, several folks do believe that Alexander will resurface as a team hopes to use him as part of a running attack. "He doesn't have anything left," an NFC general manager told Judge. "People are always talking about the numbers, but the numbers don't tell the story. There's the injury factor. And the hands factor. And a desire and competitiveness that don't seem to be there. He's never been known as a very tough player, and there have always been questions about his attitude. I'm not saying that because he's out there (unsigned) now. I would have told you the same thing four or five years ago. Basically, I don't like him (as a back), and I don't trust him."
(Updated 06/18/2008).

Last edited by prostock101; 08-10-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-10-2008   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock101 View Post
Has Shaun Alexander signed with anyone? I'm not advocating, just curious.
heck I was asking people in the stands where Ced Benson was.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #10
prostock101
Mr. Big

I would not be surprised if Mike Bell was resigned. And Charles Spencer brought back for the practice squad after we cut Weary.
Old 08-10-2008   #11
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

I know this thread is about missing Ron Dayne, but just for grins, we should really be missing Domanick Davis. These are Texan records he still holds.

All-time individual records
Rushing Yards: 3,195, Domanick Davis
Rushing Attempts: 770, Domanick Davis
Rushing Touchdowns: 23, Domanick Davis
Combined Touchdowns: 28, Domanick Davis
Combined Yards: 4,585, Domanick Davis

Single season records
Touchdowns: 14, Domanick Davis (2004)
Rushing Attempts: 302, Domanick Davis (2004)
Rushing Yards: 1,188, Domanick Davis (2004)
Rushing Touchdowns: 13, Domanick Davis (2004)

Single game records
Longest Rushing Play: 51 yards, Domanick Davis (November 9, 2003 at Cincinnati)

Old 08-10-2008   #12
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I get the feeling that Slaton is going to get a LOT of work this season.
Old 08-10-2008   #13
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

I do not think D Walker did all that bad since he was running with the third string. At least e fell forward everytime.

Oh and in no way do I will Ron Dayne who did ok, unless it was 3rd and 1 and then he thought he was a scat back and tried to dance around instead of using his 260lbs and hit the hole with authority. No thanks on that.
Old 08-10-2008   #14
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I miss Ron Dayne like I miss a kick in the nuts.

Don't mistake a history of poor RB play and Dayne playing ok as anything special.

Saying he was the second best RB means he was better than J.Wells?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #15
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 29181 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't kid yourself, Ron Dayne was the deal. You asked him to give you one yard, he gave you three.

You asked him for four yards, he gave you three.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #16
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Ron Dayne on anyone's roster right now?
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #17
prostock101
Mr. Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg no re View Post
Don't kid yourself, Ron Dayne was the deal. You asked him to give you one yard, he gave you three.

You asked him for four yards, he gave you three.
Too funny! I miss that fat bastard.
Old 08-10-2008   #18
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 148234 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

I miss Rashard Mendenhall.

Oh, that's right, we forgot to draft him.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #19
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
I miss Rashard Mendenhall.

Oh, that's right, we forgot to draft him.
Based on early returns from last night, I'm even happier with our first-round pick than I was before the game started.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #20
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Based on early returns from last night, I'm even happier with our first-round pick than I was before the game started.
Imagine who would be playing tackle if the Texans didn't draft Brown.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read