Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-10-2008   #61
Da_General
Obnoxious Musician

Rep Power: 17 Da_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden cover
Default Re: Your positives and negatives from the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
I haven't watched that play yet but on the radio didn't they say it wasn't a blindside hit? The blindside would be his backside.
The pictures already posted clarify what I meant...it wasn't his blindside, but he sure as heck wasn't looking that direction! And on the reply in the stadium you could clearly see Taylor was backing up the RT and the guy just blew by behind him. I would think that's solely his responsibility to pick up someone coming from that side. That being said, Sage shouldn't have left himself so vulnerable either.
Old 08-10-2008   #62
Lucky

Rep Power: 117883 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
I say rest AG until game one, then let him start. Play him as long as he produces, and if/when he gets hurt... then we move on.
If Green makes the opening day roster, his entire salary for '08 is guaranteed. I'd like to see him in the Dallas game (at minimum) before deciding to keep him. If he can't get through the preseason, I'd like to see the Texans look at Shaun Alexander.
Old 08-10-2008   #63
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52150 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Chris Taylor on the sack:

Quote:
"That was my fault, I apologized to Sage," he said. "That was must a missed read that I had, but it won't happen again."
And Sage's:

Quote:
Rosenfels' take: "That blitz doesn't happen very often in that formation. That is his responsibility, but as weird as it sounds it didn't actually hurt very bad. Thankfully it was a corner instead of a linebacker."
And let me just say that Kuharsky is doing a great job for ESPN's AFC South coverage. I really enjoy his analysis, and he seems to take the team seriously and actually research what he's talking about.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #64
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
If Green makes the opening day roster, his entire salary for '08 is guaranteed.
His 500k roster bonus is not guaranteed since it's payable in increments of 500/16 week to week but only if he's on the gameday 45.

Why is his '08 base guaranteed - am I missing something obvious?
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #65
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
I say rest AG until game one, then let him start. Play him as long as he produces, and if/when he gets hurt... then we move on.
The over/under on that is the 3rd quarter of game 2...

Look at how many games he has missed because of groin, knee, hamstring, etc.

Last edited by Koolaid Time; 08-10-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #66
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
Chris Taylor on the sack:

And Sage's:

And let me just say that Kuharsky is doing a great job for ESPN's AFC South coverage. I really enjoy his analysis, and he seems to take the team seriously and actually research what he's talking about.

Yes he his and he was a Titans reporter. He is doing a fine job.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #67
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164009 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Overall, it was a sloppy game. The Broncos were just sloppier than the Texans. I expect a better performance next week, in New Orleans.
It's only the 1st game of the preseason, but you have to admit that when you take away the yardage from Turk's fake run, and see that we only gained 19 yards on 10 carries (1st half), it doesn't exactly give you warm and fuzzy feelings.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-10-2008   #68
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Green makes the opening day roster, his entire salary for '08 is guaranteed. I'd like to see him in the Dallas game (at minimum) before deciding to keep him. If he can't get through the preseason, I'd like to see the Texans look at Shaun Alexander.
Honestly I dont really care if he gets the money or not. Worst case scenario is that we will pay him his entire contract this year, but from my understanding we have room under the cap for just this. 'Saving' money on getting rid of Green before the regular season wont make us rich, money under the cap thats not spend is basically wasted right?

Now if he cost us alot of money and we were in acute cap problems, then getting rid of Green before the regular season would be a possible solution, but in our situation right now?
Old 08-10-2008   #69
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If he can't get through the preseason, I'd like to see the Texans look at Shaun Alexander.
Or look at you or me maybe ? Just anybody who can catch a football in the open field and move on upfield without tweakin a hammy and falling flat on his azz.
I dunno, but at this point how can the Texans possibly have one iota of faith in his reliability as a functioning running back for their backfield given his incredible fragilty ?
How's that go - "fool me once, shame on you, fool me blah blah"
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #70
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
It's only the 1st game of the preseason, but you have to admit that when you take away the yardage from Turk's fake run, and see that we only gained 19 yards on 10 carries (1st half), it doesn't exactly give you warm and fuzzy feelings.
Mentioned this before somewhere, but if this first games rushing offense were not utilizing the ZBS, we should probably hang on a bit before judging them. Now if yesterdays producting on the ground were the result of our ned ZBS, I would think that there was a reason to be worried.
Old 08-10-2008   #71
feebleminded

Rep Power: 9067 feebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
His 500k roster bonus is not guaranteed since it's payable in increments of 500/16 week to week but only if he's on the gameday 45.

He is a vested vet.
feebleminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #72
Lucky

Rep Power: 117883 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
I believe a player with 4+ credited seasons have their base salary guaranteed if they make the opening day roster. If the Texans waive Green after that, and another team picks up his contract, they are free of the contract. If he didn't clear waivers, the Texans would be on the hook. If Green were to sign as a street free agent with another team during the season it gets more confusing. According to Miguel's salary cap FAQ, the Texans would still be responsible for Green's '08 salary as termination pay.

Quote:
Q:A player with four or more credited seasons is on Team A's opening day roster. He is scheduled to earn $680,000 in base salary ($40,000/week). This base salary is guaranteed since he was on the opening day roster. He is waived by the team after Week 10. He has earned $400,000 of the $680,000 in base salary. Team A's cap hit will be $680,000 if he isn't signed by another team the rest of the season, but what if Team B claims the player on waivers and keeps him for the rest of the year? What is the cap hit for each team then? What if the player clears waivers and then is signed by Team B for the rest of the year at the same salary? What if the player clears waivers and then is signed by Team B for the rest of the year at a lower salary?
A:If the player is claimed on waivers, Team A is freed from the players base salary. If he's not claimed, they could be obligated to pay the rest of his salary as Termination Pay. That doesn't change even if he's later signed by another team. Team A is still charged for the full salary. The thing is, the player must request Termination Pay, and he can do it only once during his career. So if he has done it before or decides not to, Team A might not be on the hook for the rest of his salary.
Old 08-10-2008   #73
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I missed the 'if he's on the opening day roster' part. True that for any 4+ year guy. Read through too fast as usual. I thought you were talking about something unique with Green's deal at first.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #74
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

My thoughts on the game are here:

FanHouse: Ahman Green Touches Ball Once, Falls Down, Is Injured, Few Surprised

Nothing particularly revolutionary or different other than that a vampire rocker is now a Texans fan.
Old 08-10-2008   #75
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
My thoughts on the game are here:

FanHouse: Ahman Green Touches Ball Once, Falls Down, Is Injured, Few Surprised

Nothing particularly revolutionary or different other than that a vampire rocker is now a Texans fan.
Well, I don't think you can discount the bootleg runs by the QB and the end arounds. Those plays are so integral in the run game. The reason why they were so successful is the same reason why we struggled on some runs- overpursuit by the back side.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #76
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Well, I don't think you can discount the bootleg runs by the QB and the end arounds. Those plays are so integral in the run game. The reason why they were so successful is the same reason why we struggled on some runs- overpursuit by the back side.
Eh. I don't see our A and A1 quarterbacks getting those same runs. So they are irrelevant to the regular season.

What I am concerned about is performance of the running backs.

The inconsistent running back play has been a pox on this Kubiak offense, and harms the defense by keeping them on the field too much because we can't burn time effectively with running.

Texan fans want to see better running play because it will allow for more things to happen in the passing game, and hopefully will lead to fewer turnovers because teams will have to respect the run, and can't cheat too much in coverage.

Fantasy players want to figure out 1. if this is going to be a plug any running back in and get a bunch of yards team; 2. and who might be candidates for that spot; 3. if the running game will be an albatross to the rest of the offense. If there is some sort of cheap acquisition Texans running back that they might grab.

Kubiak's offense is designed to run the ball. If they can't run consistently, it limits what they can do on offense and what will work.

It is early. Still, Kubiak won't want to depend too much on his inexperienced running backs who can't be reliable in pass protection.
Old 08-10-2008   #77
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Eh. I don't see our A and A1 quarterbacks getting those same runs. So they are irrelevant to the regular season.

I remember watching Steve Deberg in Kansas City run for 70 yards on a 4th and one bootleg. I expect there will be a number of times when Schaub gets 10-15 yards on bootlegs because the defense overpursued the zone stretch.

I'm concerned about the running game also. However, if the QBs are bootlegging outside of containment and we're getting 15 yards on our end arounds this season then that means our running game is being respected and accomplishing what last year's didn't.

I'm bothered by the negativity that seems pervasive following a preseason game that we won, where I saw a lot to be encouraged about. Certainly, it's a bummer that Green went lame on the first play. However, he was the only injury and it was a minor one.

What I saw was a team that physically overmatched the Broncos. We committed 3 penalties while the Broncos were desparately clutching and grabbing all game long.

It was our first attempt at cut blocking. The first time the RBs saw it in live action and had to react to it. So, I'm fine if we improve the next two weeks-which I would expect.

My only conern, frankly, is the fact that we never covered the flats. It didn't matter whether it was 1st, 2nd, or 3rd string guys, the flats were constantly exposed. That reminds me of my lack of faith in our Defensive Coordiator. I'm trying to convince myself that they weren't interested in adjusting in game since it's the preseason. But, I am worried about that.

Finally, I'm shocked that you and some of the other knowledge posters aren't raving about some of the performances of our young guys:

Butler and Frye were outstanding...

Fletcher looked great- how many of us really expected him to look so good?

Barber and Adibi looked good.

Brown was solid.

A lot to be encouraged about, yet the focus seems to be on the negative- which I didn't see a whole lot of.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #78
New_Texans
All Pro

Rep Power: 29 New_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Positives: We looked sluggish but we still won. Thats a good sign...just wait til we are crisp.
Old 08-11-2008   #79
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Imagine if the Texans lost the game. Sheesh. Some chicken little probably will start some Fire Kubiak thread. LOL.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #80
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

i don't see any reason to panic about the running game yet. i see a reason to be concerned but you have to give them a break. it was the very first time we've EVER run Gibbs' ZBS. I expect to see massive improvement by next week and then gradual improvement in the weeks to follow. i think that it is very reasonable to struggle the very first time. now the coaches have something besides our cut blocking "run throughs" where we play a game called "i cut block you." where the lines are pretending that they have been blocked. now we have actual film to study of each players technique and execution.

for those of you who seem to think that we had an agreement with the broncos not to cut block, it's not true. we did cut block all game. it wasn't an accident a few times. we did it all game long.

honestly, Butler looked like he'd been doing it all his life. I saw him cut two guys at once late in the 4th. All the rest of them look a little tentative. which is expected. it was the very first time we've ever done it.

the same goes for the RB's. i just don't see how you can expect them to fully grasp the vison part of it when we've been pretend blocking in practice. these preseason games are more important for our OL and RB's than probably any other team in the league because we virtually get 4 chances to do a full dress rehearsal. fortunately, we seem to have a very smart group of coaches and players at those positions and i would imagine that they will be able to improve quite a bit by reviewing film of their mistakes and cognitively being able to apply it the second time around.

as i said before, i expect a drastic improvement over the coming weeks. if not, then cause for concern.

Go Texans.

p.s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
i totally agree. yet i'm annoyed because now i have yet another distraction of must read Texans material to keep me from doing anything productive.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read