Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-10-2008   #41
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Your positives and negatives from the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Negatives:

release him, & let Rick Smith work the waiver wire, they're are going to be alot of RB's hitting the open market with teams 53 man roster cuts, practice squads were a team might think they can hide a player would be an excellent starting point.

The problem with this tact is that whatever player we may pick up is not going to ready for prime time for at least several games into the season..............that's IF that RB even ultimately "works out."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #42
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The problem with this tact is that whatever player we may pick up is not going to ready for prime time for at least several games into the season..............that's IF that RB even ultimately "works out."
whats the difference, I've heard Ahman might have to miss the rest of pre-season to rest his groin, of course your the expert on these physical injurys maybe you can shed some light on Greens proclivity to seek medical habitual rest, I sure as hell don't

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #43
rockabilly
Veteran

Rep Power: 432 rockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respected

Positives:

1. Our defensive line is going to be stout. Nevermind after that first series...preseason game 1 means scale back after one go at it. The key is no injuries in preseason.

2. We are set at WR. Our depth, hands and speed is impressive.

3. We are set at QB. Schaub is consistent, Sage is only a minor drop off from Schaub, and if we keep 3 Boyd has a great arm and legs.

Negatives:

1. Our running game concerns me.

2. Red Zone offense concerns me.

3. Jacoby Jones still makes mistakes trying to make plays

Overalls:
QB: We have a great group.

RB: Darius Walker needs to stay on this football team. He was the only back who consistenly got positive yardage and looks the most confident in what he is doing. Ahman Green is a failed project - I smell "collecting a paycheck" here. Slatons speed is going to be great if he would use it correctly for NFL. Taylor didnt make me feel either way on him.

WR: Davis was a great pickup, Anderson has more cajones than he knows what to do with, Jacoby is learning how to be a WR and his speed is gonna get him some big plays.

TE: Owen Daniels is one of the best TE's in the league. He runs great routes, catces the ball consistenely and takes the hits.

OL: Pass defense was positive looking. Duane Brown was pretty consistent at LT for being a rookie - his practice with Mario is going to make him improve alot faster than other rookies. Run defense is a concern. I do feel though that because this is preseason, we held back on our scheme - which is what you want to save for the 3rd preseason game as a test run for the season.

DL: This group is going to create trouble for QB's this year. In my opinion, that first outing you saw is going to be more of what you see in the regular season. Mario Williams is looking scary - possibly could up the level of being a DE in this league..it looks almost unfair. Colvin is going to help us alot. I like what I saw from him.

LB: I think this group is going to be stout as well. Don't judge them on preaseason.

CB: Not so sure about how I feel here. I feel like our 1st string is a 2nd string. I do think though that Reeves is going to be alot better than people think...i don't think he was in the right system in Dallas.

S: We have some hard hitters back there...which is what you want. I am not concerned back here.

KR: Davis is going to make plays. Slaton has the speed, but he is having trouble with the vision.

PR: Jacoby Jones has the talent to be Hesterish. Problem: He makes mistakes by trying to make a big play. Fumbling because you left the ball behind you when gaining speed is a problem. Take what you can get, and take more if its there.

P/K: Kris Brown is still great - no need to talk here. Turk made a great effort on the fake - thumbs up.

Texans vs Our Division based on our Preseason game 1 and theirs:

Colts: They are indeed the same old Colts....if they have Peyton Manning. If we can get lucky enough to have Peyton miss the first season game against us, we can get a decisive victory on the Colts. They don't looked improved to me. They will be the same or less good.

Jags: This team is the real freakin' deal. I think this is the year the Jags overthrow the Colts at the top of the division. We will not be able to run on JAX. Our passing game is going to have to win us the game - luckily it is our strongest area.

Titans: Vince Young still can't pass. If we can keep him from running around on us and keep Rob Bironas from field goal range, we could beat them this year. They are REALLY strong on DL...they are going to give us major headaches with pressure and run defense. Lendale White for some reason gets yardage.
rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #44
Lucky

Rep Power: 141386 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I do not know where you are getting that lazy/disinterested thing. At all. Personally, I believe if you are going to say such things, you should give illustrations other than a generalized stereotype.

He almost got the quarterback a couple of times, and was in on a tackle for a loss. There were a few plays where he ran laterally across the field to help with a tackle and literally was the only big body in the vicinity. He looked surprisingly quick, I thought, for someone of his size. He may also have had a tip on one play, but I couldn't tell for sure.
I would agree with this analysis. Okam looked active, with a good push up the middle on the pass rush. He doesn't have the speed of Travis Johnson, but he does hustle on the outside runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I saw him stand up straight, engage his arms with the guard and/or center and waltz horizontally with him...
That was a knock on Okam coming into the draft, and it reared it's head again last night. When he keeps his pad level low, like on the play he blew up in the backfield, Okam is tough to deal with. Okam gave Jethro Franklin plenty of tape to both praise and critique.

Some quick thoughts on the other rookies:

Brown - I like his ability to stay in front of pass blockers. I didn't see the Broncos run a lot of stunts or blitzes on his side, and that is my biggest concern. The running game was never in sync, and that may have been attributable to Denver reading the keys so well. They see the same attack in camp everyday. Too soon to pass judgment, IMO.

Molden - Did he play? Didn't notice him.

Slaton - Had a couple of nice reads. Shows a burst the other Texans backs lack. I would have liked to see Slaton work with the starters some, at least on 3rd down.

Adibi - Looks fast on a defensive unit that seemed sluggish. When he's more comfortable with his reads, I can see the X-man contributing in the nickel as a rookie.

Barber - I was disappointed in the play of the Texans safeties, in general. I don't expect a rookie like Barber to see the play develop and react quickly. I'll give him a pass. Barber hustles and looks to hit.

Brink - DNP-Coaches Decision. Looks slight for a NFL QB.

Moffitt - A try hard kind of guy who doesn't look like a NFL athlete when in space.

Nading - Another hustle guy who might be worth a practice squad spot.

Long - Didn't notice much.

Overall, it was a sloppy game. The Broncos were just sloppier than the Texans. I expect a better performance next week, in New Orleans.
Old 08-10-2008   #45
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Nobody gonna give it up for Zac Diles ? I thought he had the most impressive
performance of any Texans defensive player. Him and Anderson were the stars of the game. Not counting kickers.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #46
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Positives - THE ROOKIES for the most part especially duane brown adibi slaton and okam. brown didn't screw anything up which is about all you can ask from a rookie playing left tackle for his first ever NFL snaps...slaton looked good after a rude welcome to the NFL on his first special teams play, i like his burst and i'm gonna go out on a limb and say he leads the Texans in rushing with barley under 1,000 yards.....okam looked the way he did his whole Longhorn career by getting in the backfield and stuffing runs on atleast 2 plays and demanded heavy blocking other times....adibi made some plays and looks like a solid fast backup linebacker with upside for the future...

Negatives - THE RUNNING GAME didn't have the immediate impact I assumed would take place. Taylor showed flashes of great running and flashes of awful running and overall Slaton was the best back despite being put in bad running situations where the run was obvious and we needed to juice clock. Walker was consistent as always but he is what he is. Slaton has the best future in this rushing offense.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #47
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
Aww you beat me to it. There were also some outside runs that Okam looked like he had no chance of reaching, but the big dude sprinted after them anyway. Poor fella I thought he was going to be gassed so quick, but he played really well.

On the near-interception by Roberson, Okam was the one that deflected the pass at the line of scrimmage. (It was a fricken sweet acrobatic move)
I have said it ever since we drafted Okam, he is the the missing piece to our defensive line.

There were quit a few plays last night that he shined brightly.

And on another note, did any one catch how well Reeves looked? First play Reeves jumps the route and breaks up the pass. IIRC the broke up another play and covered his guy pretty well. He didn't look like a scrub.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-10-2008   #48
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I think my favorite play of the game was the second play of Denver's second series when Mario blew up Clady on that run left.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #49
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226329 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I have said it ever since we drafted Okam, he is the the missing piece to our defensive line.

There were quit a few plays last night that he shined brightly.

And on another note, did any one catch how well Reeves looked? First play Reeves jumps the route and breaks up the pass. IIRC the broke up another play and covered his guy pretty well. He didn't look like a scrub.
Before the draft, I said that we needed a big body in the middle of the d-line but after an interview that Jethro gave on 610, I didn't think we were going to get one. I was ecstatic when we got Okam.

I don't think Okam starts the season for us but I see him winning the NT spot by the middle of the season and I see him being a beast for us.

The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #50
Da_General
Obnoxious Musician

Rep Power: 17 Da_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden cover

One thing I haven't seen anybody mention yet was the big blindside hit that Sage took. Chris Taylor was oblivious to the outside rush and it went right behind him while he stood there doing nothing. Not good at all. Reminded me of watching Schaub get mauled last season.
Old 08-10-2008   #51
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_General View Post
One thing I haven't seen anybody mention yet was the big blindside hit that Sage took. Chris Taylor was oblivious to the outside rush and it went right behind him while he stood there doing nothing. Not good at all. Reminded me of watching Schaub get mauled last season.
I haven't watched that play yet but on the radio didn't they say it wasn't a blindside hit? The blindside would be his backside.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #52
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
I haven't watched that play yet but on the radio didn't they say it wasn't a blindside hit? The blindside would be his backside.
Bering right handed, his left side.
Old 08-10-2008   #53
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Bering right handed, his left side.

lol, That would be a better way of putting it than his backside.

Old 08-10-2008   #54
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_General View Post
Quote:
It was his front side, but also a lot of folks say blindside is because Sage had his head turned looking the other way. He locked onto a receiver and failed to scan the whole field as he waited for a specific target got open.

While Taylor deserves a lot of the blame, Sage needs to take some ownership as well for not having his head on a sival as they say.
Old 08-10-2008   #55
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
The running game looked completely undependable. Very deja vu feeling.

It's just the first preseason game, but so far it looks like the same ole from the last two years. Can throw the ball reliably to a lot of different targets. Run the ball, not so much.
Unless the running game gets fixed QUICK, then opposing defenses will just double AJ and send their D line and crash a linebacker on every down.

Someone gets hurt... and then you play the broken record once again.
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #56
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

The thought that ran through my mind was 'I wonder if Schaub would have bounced right back up like that.'

I was relieved, pleased, surprised, all of the above when I saw Sage pop right back up. It was a wicked hit.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #57
Lucky

Rep Power: 141386 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sage was fixed on the left side and Taylor was looking at the middle of the field.

Neither Sage or Taylor saw the CB coming.

Thanks to texansbullpen.com for the pics.
Old 08-10-2008   #58
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
whats the difference, I've heard Ahman might have to miss the rest of pre-season to rest his groin, of course your the expert on these physical injurys maybe you can shed some light on Greens proclivity to seek medical habitual rest, I sure as hell don't
It apparently was a hamstring strain. He only had an upper thigh ice pack on for less than an hour after the injury. I, from then on, saw him without ice for the rest of the game on the bench and walking around. If it were a major tear, I would have expected him to have the ice on the entire game, and totally resting his leg. If it were only a strain, and not a tear, I would think that a week of rest would presumably do the trick. However, the Texans may be so skittish that they would rather not chance another more serious injury before games count. That's sad. That leaves open the the anticipated recurrent injury concerns, now to the beginning of the season, we've all had from the beginning. Also sad is that, again, the question of conditioning has to come into play.
Old 08-10-2008   #59
Brando
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Sage was fixed on the left side and Taylor was looking at the middle of the field.

Neither Sage or Taylor saw the CB coming.

Thanks to texansbullpen.com for the pics.
Thanks for the clarification!

Old 08-10-2008   #60
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

I say rest AG until game one, then let him start. Play him as long as he produces, and if/when he gets hurt... then we move on.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read